Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Time Goes By From Devil’s to Martin’s

Thursday July20-Monday July 24, 2023                    Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                                Devil’s Hill Trail
St Johnsbury Vermont                           Planning Around the Rain in Vermont




PXL_20230722_173728653.MPIt’s been 5 days since I hiked Devil’s Hill.  Time just went by somehow.

Thursday, the day after the hike,  it rained off and on so who knew what you could do.  I did go to Estella’s in Lyndonville for dinner with a group from the campground.  Forgot pictures.



PXL_20230722_173654250.MPFriday I had to pack Winnona up and take her to the other side of St Johnsbury to Lydon Truck Center at the recommendation of Gary the owner of Moose River.  He backed her into my site for me and said he heard something in the steering.  I hadn’t heard it and I checked the steering fluid which was fine.  So I thought he was hearing things.  Still, steering is not something you want to mess with so I made an appointment to have it looked at.  No pictures as I forgot while I was chatting with Dennis the delightful owner and his men were checking Winnona and found nothing amiss.  WHEW.   He said it only took them 30 minutes or less and DIDN’T CHARGE ME ANYTHING!  Are you kidding?   What a great guy.    Back I went to the site to set everything up again.   By that time the day was half over so I puttered around.


PXL_20230722_173808703.MPI skip hiking and kayaking on the week end to let the week end warriors have it all. 

On Saturday  I do my routine - the farmer’s market, walk the town streets by the lovely houses and walk the labyrinth.

Sunday was a day for reading and too much snacking.  Dinner was a smoked brisket that Mary and Gary did for the “seasonals” (5 month stays) and they include me as I’m here for the ‘second’ longest time at 3 months.  Didn’t bring a camera there either.  I’m getting pretty slack.


Monday I was out early to visit Martin’s Pond.  I took this picture of how I get the kayak off the car with the Hullivator hydraulic lift.  It’s a great kayak rack but really made for SUVs or taller cars.  I do have to lift its 45 pounds up and and then down off of the racks, I cannot slide it as that would affect the racks.  Getting it down is not so hard but lifting it back up on has given me bruises on my forearms if I don’t have someone to help.  Small price to pay for the pleasure of kayaking.


PXL_20230724_125948351.MP


The pond looked as smooth as glass.

IMG_8733


The pictures of these tiny dragon or damsel flies (I assume) didn’t turn out as well as I hoped but they were everywhere all over these stems and the same color blue as my kayak.   This picture is one dragonfly and its reflection in the water.




This picture is actually two on one stem.  You can see where the water line is.  The reflection of the stem is darker.



Maybe the same guy but bigger.  My kayak is a great camouflage.



In the distance, I saw what I thought was a duck but when I zoomed in, it was a baby loon and it appeared to be all alone.



As I paddled along the shore a group of ducks was jockeying for place on this log.



Not sure who they were.  The only previous ducks I’ve seen in ponds were Mallards but they have orange feet and these guys appear to have black feet.  Anybody know who they are?

I watched their antics for a while. 

IMG_8766



This one was protecting his spot and keeping another duck from climbing up on the log.   Over and over he squawked.    So funny!

IMG_8769



IMG_8772





Completely different dragonfly.  They seem to like my blue boat.

IMG_8776



Eventually I saw what I assume are the loon parents.


IMG_8789





Despite the Grandfather from Devil’s Hill’s description that Martin’s Pond had “a few Houses”, it seemed like more than “a few” to me.  This one was one of my favorites as it was tall and really skinny.  It reminded me of the houses in children’s books.  I had a difficult time getting a good picture of it due to the trees.

IMG_8792



You have to look carefully to see how tall and skinny it is.

IMG_8796


This isn’t a great picture but it’s the only one I have of the entire family.



Does this make you laugh like it did me?   His house in the woods with a water view.  I wouldn’t want to have to mow that strip.

IMG_8804



It was a lovely day for kayaking.  Sometimes the water was ruffled by the wind.

IMG_8806



Other times I felt like I might be paddling on the clouds.

IMG_8807



This photo is of the Loon I heard calling.  I don’t hear them often but the chance to is a big motivator for the kayaking I do in Vermont.  There is nothing else like their calls.   I was able to get this video of two different calls.  It’s a bit shaky in the beginning as I was so zoomed in but it gets better shortly.  Have a listen here.




I’ll close with this photo of the little guy.  To big to ride on mom’s back but still in his baby colors.


24 comments:

  1. Fun to see the loons as usual. I may have mentioned that even though I lived in Idaho where loons abound, I only heard them in 2011 when Mo and I traveled to Alaska via British Columbia. Such a haunting call, I can see why you want to seek them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that you didn't see them in Idaho. I see them on nearly every pond I kayak but they don't always call and even if they do, I'm not always able to record it. I love listening to them.

      Delete
  2. Those houses remind me of both Stone Harbor and Cape May, New Jersey. Must be nice! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the houses but wouldn't want to own them unless I could pay for someone else to do ALL the upkeep and cleaning inside. HA!

      Delete
  3. We have never seen a baby Loon, thanks for the pic. We love loons and their haunting call. Looks like a fun day. We are home doing chores and taking walks. This is our second week of clear sky and we go back to low clouds and drizzle as our camping trip starts next Sunday. It has been nice and we made it to 72 degrees yesterday and today it is 74.1 at 4 PM. Fantastic as this is usually the rainy season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen the babies. Drizzle for your camping trip? Maybe it won't happen. Where are you going. 72, 74 sounds perfect.

      Delete
  4. Already a sucker for kayak pics, boy were you right, the lake was like glass that day, love it!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shayne. Love seeing you in the comments.

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous video of the loon calls. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you enjoyed the audio. I was thrilled to get both calls.

      Delete
  6. Love the loons!! Beautiful lake. Glad you got to.enjoy it with no rain! Also nice to hear you're enjoying time with people - pictures or no pictures : ) Last week was hot! This week has been very nice with 80s and low humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80's and no humidity sounds great. After the horrible early summer you've had I hope August is milder.

      Delete
  7. That kayak rack/lifter is pretty cool!! I wondered how you managed that :-) What a lovely time on the water. The ducks make me laugh and I bet they were great fun to watch. I often wonder at property that is on the water but has no view of the water - why? The lawn strip looks odd but it makes a lot of sense to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ducks were a riot Jodee especially the one that thought he was in charge of keeping anyone additional off the log. I don't get why in the world you would want to mow that strip all the way down. Why not put some sort of walk with low growing bushes so it's not just an "air strip". LOL!

      Delete
  8. What a great tool to have to get your kayak off & on. That would be tough by yourself even so. How nice of that shop to take a look at Winnona for no charge! Nice loon calls, glad you can record them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the hullivator Laurie but the problem for me is the kayak weighs 45 pounds and the hullivator is designed for an SUV which David didn't know when he got it for me. So I have to squat down on the ground to release the handles to get it to lift. The bigger problem is that I can't set one end of the kayak in one saddle and the other or that will throw off the hydraulics. It has to be set both sides into them. I can lift it off the saddles fairly well but lifting it up and in is much harder and I look for someone to help take one end whenever I can.

      Delete
  9. I've been called a Loon many times and I didn't even have to make a call! :cD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I would consider being called a loon compliment since they are so handsome but I still doubt that you have actually been called a loon by anybody.

      Delete
  10. The little fuzzy baby loon is just the cutest! Their calls are hypnotizing. Love the rude duck who was squawking at the others so he didn't have to share his log. I does look like you were paddling into the clouds. Love when the water is so still that it looks like glass. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam you have summarized all the best things about my day on Martin's pond. We should come up and bring your kayak.

      Delete
  11. The sound of the loon is so haunting I am glad you have had such a nice summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so lucky Jacque to have had nice Summers every year since we started full timing in 2011. In spite of the rain this one has been great too.

      Delete
  12. I'm impressed you can load and unload the kayak alone, especially after watching Sue and Mo do it. The baby Loon is so cute. Being in one place for longer has offered more social time for you this summer. You need some nature field guides either in book or app format. --Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.