Thursday, August 10, 2023

Tubing, Moosing, Cook Off & Ponds

July 26-30, 2023                                                              Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground        Bemis Brook Trail to Arethusa Falls is Moderate?
St. Johnsbury, Vermont                       Time Goes By From Devil’s to Martin’s



WHY I DON’T PADDLE RESERVOIRS

Everyone here knows that I do a lot of kayaking and luckily for me, there are a lot of ponds to kayak on in the reasonably nearby area.   Folks are always asking if I’ve done the nearby Moore’s Reservoir.  And I never have.  But this week I did.

There are 6 or 7 launches onto this large reservoir so I picked the one closest to the campground.   Looks fine from here other than the highway noise.


IMG_8820


I get out on the water and there is the dam in the distance.  I knew there would be a dam after all this is a reservoir. 

IMG_8825


Dams are not my favorites.  Let the rivers run free is my wish.   But the sight of the dam was secondary to the road noise.   I paddled for 35 minutes – not racing paddling – but still paddling steady for 35 minutes to get far enough away down the coast line for the noise to disappear.   I kayak for the solitude and the wildlife.  So far, this had neither one but I wasn’t surprised.   This is why I seldom do reservoirs.


IMG_8826


I thought perhaps I might give it another try on another day from one of the different launch sites.  But when I went by two of them they both had outfitters putting at least a half dozen or more boats into the water ON A WEDNESDAY.    Heaven help you on a week end.     I was fairly far away when I zoomed in on this group but you get the picture.   So did I.


IMG_8827


This was the only wild life I saw all morning.  If there are loons they must be in some other part of the reservoir.   But maybe they, like me, prefer smaller ponds.


IMG_8831



I also saw something else I’ve never seen in two months of kayaking.  And in a reservoir no less.   Seals my no more reservoirs resolve.

IMG_8836



TUBING

PXL_20230726_201204703.MP

When I returned to Winnona and was sitting out in my chair by the river reading a book, I looked up to see my neighbors and their children were having a wonderful time tubing the Moose.  It’s definitely high enough to do that but still I wonder how many rocks they hit on their way down.    They made several runs from the top to the bottom of the campground laughing and cheering and having a wonderful time all the way.   Water’s too cold for me but it sure looked like fun.


MOOSING



That evening other neighbors and frequent Moose River Campers from Massachusetts Joann and Sarah invited me to go “moosing”.  

They have many pictures of moose they have seen within 6 or 7 miles  in more boggy areas.  They drove by my place on their way out and asked if I wanted to go.   You bet!   I have seen a lot of loons but nary a moose.

They have special places they always check where they have seen moose many times.  So many that they call the moose they see in this area Marvin.

Moosing with Joann and Sarah (4)


Joann is the photographer and Sarah is the one who always spots the ears and pulls the car over.

Moosing with Joann and Sarah (6)


But Marvin was having none of it this evening.   We did see a group of Cedar Waxwings.  As it was dusk when we were out, I had to lighten these pictures so the uniqueness of the Waxwing was visible.





WHY I DO PADDLE PONDS


As I’ve said, there are many small ponds to visit where powered boats are less likely, loons are more likely and “camps”,  as cabins are called in Vermont , are often unavoidable.


IMG_8850


Today I was paddling at Miles Pond

IMG_8851


Cat tails in your front yard.

IMG_8855



Love the morning reflections.

IMG_8858




The sign in the yard of this house made me laugh out loud with recognition.

IMG_8860



If it had said goose instead of duck, Carrie & I could definitely relate.

IMG_8861



Miles comes equipped with two beaver lodges.  Or is it one family with two houses.  Pretty small pond for two separate groups.  This is lodge #1.

IMG_8863



Scenes like this of the island in the middle of the pond make the day even more worthwhile.

IMG_8870


Lodge #2

IMG_8871



The wonderful resident loons.  Another gift of the small Vermont Ponds.



IMG_8876



This is approximately how far away I was when I took the two pictures above.  I love what the sun does to the water around them.

IMG_8877



The best shot I got of the pair together.

IMG_8891



How lucky am I to be part of this landscape!!

IMG_8894




And to be able to get this photograph as he lifts off the water.



Mom reads, kids play.   Great fun at the “pond camp”.

IMG_8899



Even the shoreline is beautiful.

IMG_8900



PXL_20230728_201914913.MP



And when I got back, at the office there were PISTACHIO muffins as big as my hand.   What a day!










THE CHILI COOK OFF

On that rainy Saturday evening, the campground had its annual Chili Cook Off.  This year there were 11 entries.   Crockpots, hotpots, instapots….



PXL_20230729_215824618.MPPXL_20230729_215838091.MP


The helpers each had two pots to cover.  They put numbers on small cups and ladled a taster’s amount of each chili into the cups.


PXL_20230729_220644245.MP



All the campers who came, those who entered chili and those who didn’t, walked down the row and picked up one of each numbered cup to sample and rate.

PXL_20230729_221438005.MPPXL_20230729_221441351.MP


There were multiple methods used to choose the top 6 of the 11 chilis.
In the picture on the left you can see the score sheet on the left.   On the right, Loretta lined hers up in a row and then after tasting them pushed them back or forward depending on whether they were in or out of the running.

PXL_20230729_221450461.MPPXL_20230729_222731820.MP


When it was all said and done Brenda was the big winner of a basket of wonderful Maple goodies from the Maple Grove Farms in St Johnsbury.  Everything maple you could imagine and a box of pancake mix.  She looks pretty happy as does her husband Tom.

PXL_20230729_225525818.MP



And for those who remember, in the words of the late great Judy Bell

THE END


26 comments:

  1. Ah, the chili cook off. That’s when I shoulda visited you!

    I was hoping you would’ve stopped bye well, visiting Woodstock……

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So tired when I finished there I couldn't imagine driving an hour and 20 minutes back any later than it was right then. My apology

      Delete
  2. Yes, Sherry, I am with you on the lack of interest in kayaking reservoirs. In addition to the dams, and often a lack of wildlife, if the water is low you have to spend most of the time looking up at a brown dirty bank. Not my favorite. Although, when I get caught up I will write about our Lost Creek Lake Reservoir campground where we kayaked last May when the lake was 99 percent full, almost unheard of in this drought stricken west. Anyway...love the ponds, also love the small lakes and estuaries, and the wildlife refuge meandering waters. Lots of wildlife. I must say you have had quite the social summer. Gaelyn and I talked about how happy we are for you in that way, your three months in one place has some benefits, in spite of the rain. Looks like we were both writing and posting at the same moment. I sent out the email, and yours came to me almost instantly. Too funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Sue. I like the same kind of water you do and wish I could find a place that had estuaries to kayak in during the summer but summer cool spots are getting harder and harder to come by.

      Delete
  3. Loved the cloudy kayaking photo, my what a big pistachio muffin, but the chili cook-off is what really has me jealous, always love a good chili, let alone that many to sample with good company around! Thanks Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chili cook-off was wonderful. Some of them were great and some were so so but of course I like mine the best because it's sweet.

      Delete
  4. It is sweltering here in Florida, it’s almost 11 in the evening and it’s still almost 90. I love that you are so busy and having some new adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacque, I'm so sorry to hear that you are sweltering. 90 at 11:00 p.m. is absolutely horrible. I am so lucky to be here where it is seldom even in the mid-80s.

      Delete
  5. The picture of the loon taking off is amazing! I love it! I'm imagining what it would be like to live in either the red house or the "duck doo doo" house with the green roof. It would be lovely to look out and see water. I love the ocean but lakes are appealing too. Only thing I worry about is snapping turtles. Those beavers are skilled builders. I love tubing and would like to go again. I'm sorry that you didn't see Marvin or any of his friends. The campground has a lot of activities- the chili cookout sounded like fun. It would give staying there as a single person (or family) lots of choices. Then you have the freedom to choose whether or not to go. The tire in the water is horrid- people at the beach have decided that it's fun to rip boards off the railing of the boardwalk which had to be closed off and throw bikes in the sound. I don't get it. The heron/egret looks very regal. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud when I saw the doo doo sign. Farm memories. That's terrible about ripping boards off the railings of a boardwalk and throwing things into the sound. What is the matter with people these days?

      Delete
  6. You even get good food on your adventures. Nice pic of the loon taking flight. Just got back from a week in Duck with our family and close friends. Emma and family were in Manteo and stopped by. Nice to see them! Great beach weather, low 80's and sunny. Had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn Carrie is going to be in Corolla this next week. She'll be really sad that she missed you and Emma. Can't believe Emma came all the way from Chicago. Sounds like the weather was perfect. Glad you had a great time with your family

      Delete
  7. Such great shots of the loon taking off! Good job! I'm with you, reservoirs can be crowded to do much kayaking. Wow, what a pistachio muffin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Loon picture is my favorite one in this post. I couldn't believe how huge the muffin was.

      Delete
  8. Just made chili for some friends last night — went several years in a row to the Scottsville Chili Cookout, which was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many many years ago we lived for about 2 years in Scottsville but I don't think they had a chili cook-off then. What time of year was it Diane??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoying the pictures, glad you are having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never eat chilli from any kind of chilli cook off because I don't know what is in them. I unknowlingly had some chilli at an RV Dreams rally that had sweet potatoes in it. I'm highly allergic to sweet potatoes (yes I know it's wierd but so am I) and I was violently sick all night. So I never take tha chance that some sweet potatoes will be an ingredient in chilli. No sweet potato fries either. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Paul I don't blame you for never doing any unknown chili after that experience. I've never known anyone to be allergic to sweet potatoes. I love them.

      Delete
  12. Miles Pond is so lovely - I like everything about it from the reflections to the fun sign. That muffin is meal size, yummy!! I haven't been to a chili cook off in ages and I bet Tombstone has then so I'll have to pay attention since we're back early. Ahh Judy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodee I am so glad you remembered Judy Bell and her the end pictures. I thought more people would. I really did love the chili cook-off and tasting all the Chili's although I have to say that since I like a sweet chili and mine was the only sweet chili I was sorry there was not a drop left when the cook-off was over. Great comment. Thank you

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks William I'm glad you enjoyed them. I love seeing the Loons and taking their pictures.

      Delete
  14. It looks like you're having a fun and very social summer! When I read about the chili cook-off I think of how much David loved those kind of events. :-) Next time put aside enough chili at home so that you'll have leftovers, LOL. I've been so crazy busy getting our house ready and moving in that I haven't had time for any blogging or blog reading. But I'm glad to catch up with you and to know that you're enjoying your summer. Paddling those little ponds looks idyllic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely ponds versus reservoirs. I like chili, but even better is everything maple. -Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.