Sunday, July 30, 2023

Devil’s Hill Trail

Wednesday July 19,2023                                               Most Recent Posts
Moose River Campground site 20       Planning Around the Rain in Vermont
St Johnsbury, Vermont                      Lookin’ for Loons in All the Right Places




This was the view out my bedroom window at around 8am as I was leaving to hike up Devil’s Hill.  Since it was not “scheduled” to rain today I felt I could go out and the river would recede at least some while I was gone.


PXL_20230719_120352494.MPa





PXL_20230719_132610622.MP

The road to the trail head for Devil’s Hill made me concerned about someone coming the other way but luckily no one did.  Not sure what I would have done if they had.  Someone would have had to back up a mighty long way.









Not a soul when I arrived at the parking area.  This bodes very well for a quiet climb to the view.  So let’s take a hike.



Trail starts out as probably what was a logging road.  Nice and wide.


It gets rougher and comes to signs indicating  a potential turn off to the left which I decide will be the way back on  the loop.  Main trail gets smaller and rougher but not as small as the return loop trail.


IMG_8688



Mostly the trail up looked like this.



I can see that I have arrived.


IMG_8697


I had this spot for perhaps 10 minutes alone and then a grandfather and teen age grandson joined me.   They had walked over from Martin’s Pond where the grandson lives.  He told me it was off to the left and not visible.   If he told me what the lake/pond was to the right, I don’t remember.


IMG_8700


IMG_8699


I zoomed in on the view above to try to get the ridges in the distance but they are barely visible.  Still smoke from Canada.




I took the loop back down and liked the back section much better so if I come again I’ll go up and down the back part of the loop.   I stopped along the way to do this 24 second video of the song of what I believe is a Wood Thrush.  It’s lovely. Take a listen.


IMG_8707



This area is clearly more moist than the trail up where I saw no fungi.

IMG_8709



Wonder who likes to munch on mushrooms?

IMG_8711



Same unnamed body of water on the way down.  I looked on google maps.  They show it but they give it no name.

IMG_8712



I love all the moss and green on this trail.

IMG_8714


And the ferns.  They were closing in on me.

IMG_8715



More of Mother Nature’s beautiful designs.



The narrowness here makes me think most folks go up and back on other part of the loop. 

IMG_8718



This made me laugh out loud.  A stop sign head?




Closing with the most interesting mushrooms of the hike.  


IMG_8725



Today was a wonderful hike so next outing will be a kayak and I’m trying Martin’s Pond that the young man recommended.  I prefer ponds without houses but he lives there year round and says it is very quiet and has LOONS!!  Sounds like my kind of place.

20 comments:

  1. The hike reminds me of my back yard. Lots of similarities, with the exception of the mushrooms……
    Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know what's similar. I don't remember if you have woods.

      Delete
  2. Looks as though it was a wonderful hike— Do you know your mushrooms? Certainly enjoy your adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know mushrooms Jacque. Last summer in NC I spent time with an expert but it didn't rub off.

      Delete
  3. I agree the return side of the loop is a prettier hike. Nice to see the view from the top isn't blocked by big trees. Thanks for doing all the work to share it! Love the variety and unique colors of the fungi. It must be wonderful to fall asleep to the sound of the river in your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love having the river there but at least for these 3 months it makes me wish I had a fifth wheel for their big back window.

      Delete
  4. Stop sign in the woods? Just goes to prove there is someone else out there with as bad a sense of humor as me! :cD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seriously made me laugh out loud. I'd like to meet whoever did it.

      Delete
    2. STOP signs such as this can be found in seemingly obscure places all over the state. It could be signage posted by VAST - the Vermont Association of Snow Travelers. (snowmobiles…..).

      My guess.

      Delete
    3. Ahhhh, a great explanation. Snowmobilers

      Delete
  5. Do you sleep with your windows open to hear the water? Would imagine it might be too humid for that luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often do but sometimes it's actally too cool. Ahhhhhh in July. Gotta love Vermont.

      Delete
  6. Lovely hike and neat colored mushrooms. Colin would enjoy looking at those. He likes counting the brown mushrooms around the base of the oak trees at the edge of our neighbor's yard. Neat to hear the thrush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Colin would like all the hiking I do if he were a little older. Glad you enjoyed the audio of the thrush. They sound like a flute to me.

      Delete
  7. I think it's pretty amazing cherry. That you have managed to have such a great time in Vermont in spite of all the rain and flooding. You've been safe and not flooded out and dry. That's wonderful, the road looked really impressive .Proud of you for all that you're doing. Look forward to reading more. Enjoying the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I haven't really had a choice if it rains you just have to work around it but everybody up here agrees that this is the rainiest summer they have ever seen and they have lived here all their lives. Lucky me!

      Delete
  8. Great view at the top. We have been seeing a lot of different mushrooms too. We saw ghost pipes at one place in NH. Yesterday we saw a large patch of what may have been Chanterelles.
    I have an app from the Cornell Lab called Merlin that identifies birds by photo or by song. I played your video with it recording and it said the first bird was a Hermit Thrush but it also heard a Black-Throated Blue Warbler and at the very end a Wood Thrush. You might like to get the app. It is free but takes up some memory and takes maybe 10 minutes to download all the data. I love it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly how wonderful to know the birds on that clip. The signal up here is so weak I don't know if I could put it on my phone but I will definitely look into it. Thanks

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous trail, really having to work on my jealousy here, lol 😆

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Hope you carry something for protetction when you're doing these solo hikes. Never know what kind of misguided individual you may run into...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.