Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Planning Around the Rain in Vermont

Saturday July 15-Tuesday July 18, 2023                        Most Recent Posts                   Moose River Campground                Lookin’ For Loons in all the Right Places
St Johnsbury, Vermont                          A Stunning Hike in Franconia Notch




PXL_20230715_231902213.MPThe rain continues.  Not all day every single day but often at some point nearly every day.  The flood recovery continues in the southern and western sections of Vermont.  It’s been worse they say than Tropical Storm Irene in August of 2011.



Here in site 20 Winnona and I are fine and the beautiful river never really got threateningly close to us.  But all this has made me rather glad I am here for my first time ever anywhere 3 month stay.  There are so many days I can’t really go anywhere, it’s raining so no kayaking or hiking or it rained this morning so kayaking maybe but trails are too wet.  So I still have places I want to go even though I am  half way through my stay.   Hope the second half is dryer than the first.


PXL_20230715_231843310.MPThere are things that the weather doesn’t stop like the park’s wine and cheese party.  It rained but that didn’t matter. 

David and I seldom stayed in private parks unless we wanted to be in one place longer than two weeks and even then we were never around the park so we were seldom part of the activities.

But I find that alone I appreciate the company and the events that they schedule in this small park.  I don’t drink wine or much of anything alcoholic unless it is far too sweet for the normal person but I enjoyed the “cheese” which was really snacks for everyone.  I should have taken this picture from the other end of the table.


And there are things that the weather only modifies thankfully.



PXL_20230716_204635717.MPEver since I found out about it, I have been looking forward to the Albannach concert that was to be held at Dog Mountain. 

Albannach is a favorite band of David’s and mine.  They are Scottish highland drums and bagpipe.  They perform at Highland Games, Scottish Festivals, and Renaissance Faires as well as other venues. 


PXL_20230716_204555914.MPDog Mountain has musicians there every Sunday and people bring chairs, the dogs run around and I understand it is a wonderful time.  All free.  But nearly all the concerts have been rained out this summer.  Amazingly it wasn’t going to rain for the Sunday of the Albanach concert so I drove up early to get a good spot.  When I got to the turn off, two people were there giving out directions for the indoor venue it had been moved to.  Seems the ground was so soft and the crowd expected to be so huge that they were worried about damage to the Dog Mountain grounds.  So everyone who wanted to, and that was a lot of folks, drove to Lydon where it was held in the community ice hockey rink.  Gotta love Vermont.

The muddy  parking lot you can see above was filling up when I got there an hour early and folks were in line.

As at Dog Mountain, you bring your own chairs. People filled up the arena even though it was a last minute change of venue.  It was amazing that they got a volunteer venue and moved the outdoor stage and all the sound equipment  to it (10 miles away) all on such short notice.  The weather has been very uncooperative here in Vermont.

At was a great crowd.  The space in the very front is reserved for dancing and it was filled for most of the concert.

PXL_20230716_210932948.MP


Because I got there early, I had a spot relatively near the front.

PXL_20230716_212423403.MP


I struck up a conversation with the two women next to me, Darcie and Cheryl.  Darcie took this shot of me.

20230716_173441


The music was fantastic though loud in doors.  It’s more suited for outside in the Highlands or Dog Mountain or the other spots where I’ve seen them before.   Apparently they like performing here since they make significantly less money. They almost never perform at the same space two years in a row.  They’ve been to Dog Mountain four years in a row and I’m very tempted to return to Moose River to see them next year outside hopefully.

My phone speakers couldn’t deal with the sound so I’m not posting the video I took.

PXL_20230716_212437787.MP


On non rainy days I alternate between hiking and kayaking depending on how much non rain free morning time I have and thus how far away I can drive to do these things.  If it rained yesterday, kayaking is in order since the ground may be too muddy for hiking.

This Monday I went again to Job’s Pond which was close enough to return home  before the predicted rain.  I’ve posted about Job’s before so I’ll just show a few pictures here and of course the loons.

Joes has a nice launch site. 

PXL_20230717_133438561.MP


PXL_20230717_135252881.MP


Around the pond are various views of the mountains.  I wish I knew what type rock this was that make them look so rugged.

PXL_20230717_135652751.MP


IMG_8667


The loons are the biggest attraction for me.

IMG_8668




I was lucky to catch this loon “running” across the water to get up speed to “take off”




And I got him just as he was pulling his last foot up.


But I couldn’t swivel around in the kayak enough to get him in the sky sadly.  Still I love these pictures.  The one below is just a closer look at his foot barely touching the water.   How DO they do that?


I doubt I will come back to Job’s again.  It is lovely but there are many other ponds in Vermont to check out.


If you’ve seen Albannach or Loons, where was it and when?

27 comments:

  1. I love bagpipes My daughter Cameron did highland Scottish dancing for many years so it was fun to travel to the games Like you the rain here in Michigan has changed many a planned activity so I’m waiting now to learn if we’ll have an outdoor concert tonight Loved the picture of just the foot of the kayak looking off across the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you in the comments Jacque. Thank you. The three of us took step dancing when Carrie was young. It was great fun.

      Delete
  2. How very cool for you to be close to see Albannach! I've seen them a few times when they played the PA Renaissance Faire. We had season tickets and would go several weekends in the fall. I do see per their schedule that they will be close by Labor day weekend. Hmmmm.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very excited when I found they were going to be here. They might have been here in July of 2021 and I didn't know it. Bummer. Season tickets to the Renaissance Faire sounds wonderful. Hope you get to see them over labor day. Let me know.

      Delete
  3. Downloaded and saved the 3 photos starting at the boat launch, such beautiful scene and perfect photos, thanks Sherry!
    So wonderful watching your bold, loving and outgoing nature as you trek everywhere, enjoy concerts, hikes and meeting wonderful people, while I'm thankful when you find mudslides like in the last post that it's BEFORE you crossed the path, rather than during or after you got trapped on the other side.
    Continue to enjoy this precious journey and thanks for bringing us with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment that you saved my photographs Shayne. Thank you. You are so kind. Love having you with me and reading your comments.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy hearing bagpipes, such an interesting instrument. One large base I was stationed at there was a man who practiced his bagpipes way out on an baseball field on summer nights. I bet his neighbors were thankful. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bagpipes are really unique. Nothing like them. I imagine that hearing the bagpipes from a way off on summer nights was wonderful.

      Delete
  5. You've made a lot of your stay despite the unpredictable and frequent rains. So neat to see Allbanauch, though I'm sure the whole feel of it outside might have been better. The loon pictures are so neat. Amazing. Love those birds. Beautiful waters and lush green in Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetheart. I am glad I am here for so long or I might have been disappointed at having so much rain but as it is, it's working out fine. Love the loons and have found them at almost every small pond I've kayaked. Vermont is known as the green mountain state for a reason. But I don't think it takes THIS MUCH rain to keep it green.:-)

      Delete
  6. So glad you found a three month stay to really explore more and have social activities too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gaelyn it's turned out real well actually. I was worried about so long in one place.

      Delete
  7. Looks like you are making some great memories in Vermont. We always thought it was so beautifule when we drove through it but never really stopped to enjoy what it has to offer. Would have loved seeing Allbanauch up close like that... Great pix of the loons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you both would really like Vermont Roger especially now with the temperatures you have. With Albannach the whole place had such energy.

      Delete
  8. That pond is beautiful and that pic is great. I love the Loon pics, better than any I took. Happy to read you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. I have a lot of trouble with loon pictures because in the early morning the light is off and too harsh and they are so dark in the face.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It's wonderful for me that Vermont has so many lovely ponds to kayak.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you're enjoying your Vermont summer, even though you're having to dodge the rain almost every day. You're certainly finding a wonderful variety of things to do! I'm not so sure about bagpipes...they're fine outdoors, but we ended up in Nova Scotia a couple of times at concerts indoors with bagpipes and it was deafening, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Laurel I was wearing earplugs. In fact the sponsoring organization Catamount Arts gave them out to anyone in the audience who wanted them They made the volume just about perfect.

      Delete
  11. Love the loons! Even with all of the rain, you seem to have been able to get out and hike and kayak. The kayaking looks so inviting. I didn't understand the sentence about the bagpipers: Apparently they like performing here since they make significantly less money. Wouldn't you like to be a loon for a day? I think I'd like to be a pelican. By the way, I think your hair looks nice! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sentence probably should have been turned around to say because they make significantly less money, they must like to perform here. The kayaking is definitely serene.

      Delete
  12. When you're not living in it daily, the rain sounds wonderful. I agree it's good you're there for 3 full months. Glad you're enjoying the social options at the park. Are there many other solo campers there? I love the reflections shot on the tranquil water - just beautiful! Great catch of the foot dragger :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe I actually got those take off shots of the loon. The tranquility of kayaking these ponds in Vermont is one of the things I love.

      Delete
  13. I wish we could have gone to that concert! La Vern and I met at a Scottish Festival 37 years ago. I definitely have a little Scottish blood.

    How did the brisket turn out? I'm sorry we missed that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great concert Beverly. The brisket actually was overcooked they were testing the smoker and apparently didn't wrap the brisket soon enough so you didn't miss much.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's too bad. But that's how we learn!

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.