Saturday, August 26, 2023

Food and Fun in Early August

August 2-6, 2023                                                              Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                           The Turn Signal Saga
St Johnsbury Vermont                                           End of July at Peacham Bog


My favorite things to do are kayaking, hiking and of course reading.  Vermont is perfect for all three.   I continue to be amazed that I am in my 3rd month here and have not run out of small ponds, without power boats, on which to kayak.  Granted rain has made some days a wash out but still, during these 5 days in early August I was able to get out to two ponds and a hike.


NEWARK POND

The Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife maintains more than 180 fishing access areas to small and large ponds and lakes.   I know they stock some and perhaps all ponds with fish.  They have a great website which lists all their pond access sites.  It has been my go to for ideas.

On Wednesday I visited Newark Pond.  It is 163 acres and 31 feet deep.  It is stocked with Bullhead, Rainbow Trout, Smallmouth Bass, and Yellow Perch.


PXL_20230802_152004036.MP



IMG_8997


Not sure what these two were fishing for today.


I think I have seen loons on all of the ponds I have kayaked this summer.  It has been wonderful especially when there are chicks.



Both of the ponds I visited this week have small islands in them.  This is where the loons nest.  The islands are posted asking you not to disturb the nesting loons.


IMG_9007



This fisherman was hanging out on top of a Beaver lodge.

IMG_9016



I thought this was the same Great Blue Heron on the dock and walking around as I paddled by.  How amazing to have a Great Blue Heron in your yard.


IMG_9038



He walked off the dock, around a tree in the yard.

IMG_9039




IMG_9040



Not sure if he was looking for something in the yard or my presence, though distant, caused his stroll but he returned to the dock and flew off.


As I followed him with my camera, he was joined by the Great Blue I’d seen earlier.  There were two, not one, as I’d assumed.





I was shocked when this loon brought the chick so close to my boat.   That is very unusual but perhaps I had floated too close to them with my eye in my wide angle lens camera.  Alone she might have flown but she would not leave her chick.


IMG_9054

Another great day on the water.  SO glad I travel with a kayak.


On Thursday I drove to the Groton State Forest to visit one of several state parks there.  I had visited Seyon Lodge on my last trip in 2021 and had stopped at the Upper Valley Grill but found the lunch area closed.  Today I was returning to have breakfast there.



UPPER VALLEY GRILL AND GENERAL STORE

The Grill is about 30 miles from Moose River on the road to Seyon Lodge which is about 5 miles further on.   Being in the Northeast Kingdom means the population and the ponds are quite spread out.  Just the way I like it.  But everything is a bit of a drive.  I limit myself to a radius of less than an hour.


PXL_20230803_134357928.MP



By the time I arrived it was 9:30 and the temperature was 68 degrees.  Pretty close to perfect in my mind.   So glad not to be anywhere further south, not even in southern Vermont.

PXL_20230803_134408196.MP



The little Grille is on the far left.

PXL_20230803_134427958.MP



I asked about the closed sign.  Since the store is open later than the grill they just keep the sign there.  I had seen it when I was here last time returning in the afternoon from Seyon Lodge.  Clearly this morning it was not closed.


PXL_20230803_134458675.MP



You know you are in a great place when it has signs like these.

PXL_20230803_134646302.MP

PXL_20230803_134908162.MP




My breakfast of choice was made even more delicious by home made raspberry jam.

PXL_20230803_135910001.MP


By the time I left, nearly every seat was taken.  I suspect this is a local favorite.

PXL_20230803_142209437.MP


From there, I headed 5 miles on down the road to the State Park.



SEYON LODGE STATE PARK


In the 1890’s J.R. Darling built the dam to create the pond and a sawmill on this location at the headwaters of the Wells River.  After several other owners, Harry K Noyes bought the property in 1939 and made it into his private hunting and fishing camp.


PXL_20230803_151248018.MPHe named it Seyon which is Noyes spelled backwards.   The state of Vermont bought the property in 1967 and developed the current facilities for public use.  The lodge is operated year round as a lodging and conference center.  The 8 room converted farm house will accommodate 16 people.   When I talked to the manager last time she told me it is very popular with clubs and family reunions.  Apparently there is a quilting club that comes twice a year and stays the week-end.   Meals can be provided.


It’s also a popular fly fishing spot for Brook Trout.  You can rent one of their rowboats but they do not allow you to launch your own canoe or kayak here.


It’s a wonderful quiet place to come and sit in the two Adirondack chairs and hopefully the loons will swim close to the shore as they did for me the last time I was here.

IMG_9068


I was here today to hike the Noyes Pond Trail.

IMG_9079



IMG_9083


The bunchberries shone out along the trail.

IMG_9086



There were views of the pond at many spots as I hiked along.

IMG_9095


Bridges crossed the streams coming into the pond.

IMG_9096


It was of course muddy because of the frequent rains.

IMG_9098



IMG_9102



IMG_9104



I spotted this fellow along side the rocks of the trail section above.  I think he’s the first Vermont frog I’ve seen.  Bull frog I assume from his size.  Any herpetologists out there?


IMG_9106




26th BIRTHDAY PARTY

On Saturday the campground had it’s TWENTY SIXTH birthday under the ownership of Mary and Gary.  Cake and ice cream for all.  After all this time they are understandably ready to retire and sadly the campground is for sale.


Gary & Mary




20230805_184239



LONG POND


On most Sunday’s I lay low but with the rainy days during the week I have to take advantage of any non rainy day whenever it falls.  This Sunday I went to kayak on Long Pond.    The pond is 103 acres and 74 feet deep with Brook and Lake Trout.  It is 26 miles from me but takes about 45 minutes to get there.

I arrived relatively early but found, unlike usually during the week, that I wasn’t the first person here.   A fisherman was putting his inflatable boat together and was willing to help me take my kayak out of its saddles and set it on the ground.  One nice thing about kayaking on a week-end.


IMG_9118


I set out and paddled down one side of the pond, saw this pair of loons quite far away but zoomed in for a picture thinking I’d get better ones later.  Some time later, I saw 3 more loons and even later saw them “running” across the water to take to the air but I was never close enough or fast enough to get a picture.  From then on, I saw no more loons and got no more pictures.  Bummer.


IMG_9120



I did see a little microcosm on a fallen log in the water.


IMG_9132



Notice two things other than the serene setting.  The sailboat on the left and the dock on the right.



The dock and the house belong to Matt.  He was sitting on the dock with the cabin his grandfather had built in the 1930’s in the background.   This is his family’s “camp” now and he comes up from his home in Connecticut to stay with his family in August and returns in the fall “to close it up for the winter”.

He and his dog were just charming.  His sister came out a bit later to read and his nephew was sailing on the lake.


IMG_9138



Here’s a short video of the sailing nephew
You can see that he is skimming right along.  It will give you a sense of the wind on this day.

IMG_9134



As with Newark and several other ponds, Long has an island and nesting loons.   Based on the number I saw earlier, perhaps more than one pair.


IMG_9143



This sign is posted on trees on the islands.  You can click it to enlarge it if you’d like to read what it says.

IMG_9146



I was very surprised to see something I have never seen before during any of my pond paddling.  A woman was swimming the length of Long pond which as its name implies is a long skinny oval.  No idea how many miles swimming it down and back would be.   I took a video of her too.   Wish I could swim that well.  And in that cold Vermont water.


IMG_9148



As I mentioned, there was only one other car in the small lot when I arrived this morning. This is what the put in area looked like when I returned around 11:30am


IMG_9151


Folks were fishing on the left, swimming on the right and putting boats in the water.  I’m not always lucky enough to have help putting the kayak back on the saddles for the hydraulic lift, but I was today.   That’s one of the benefits of coming out on a week-end morning.


IMG_9152


Next time I visit Marsh, Billings, Rockefeller National Historic Park.
Have you ever even heard of it?

18 comments:

  1. Great picture of the loon and her baby, and so close too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was wonderful Laurie but I'm afraid that I might have frightened the mother unintentionally.

      Delete
  2. So fun to see a baby loon. Wonder why there was only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to mention it but since you asked, one of the people that I saw on Shore said that the local people think the second baby was taken by an eagle.

      Delete
  3. Love the loons! I'm glad that their nesting areas are protected. Wouldn't it be fun to come to Seyon lodge with a group with similar interests- art, knitting, hiking? It's too bad that the campground is going to be sold. I hope that whoever buys it takes care of it and does a good job entertaining the people who stay there. I wish I could swim like that too. My Mom was a great swimmer- steady and rhythmic. That breakfast looked yum but I don' think that I would be able to hike after eating all that! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely be fun to come with a group to the lodge and let them cook all the meals.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks tom. I enjoyed it too. Glad to see you in the comments.

      Delete
  5. We have a Great Blue Heron that visits the pond behind our house and snacks on the little frogs and bugs that live there. Quite a magnificent bird to watch and a thrill to see it fly by. :c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A resident great blue heron sounds wonderful. They are so amazing at how quiet they lift their large bodies off and take to the air.

      Delete
  6. Hard to believe you've been there three months already! But then we're already back to the house so there's that. I'm anxious to hear your review on staying in the same place for the whole summer. Certainly seems like you picked a great spot to give it a try. Those cooler temps remind me of why we prefer to be in the PNW in the summer! Love the hike and of course your time on the water is so special. That large boulder looks like it's covered in barnacles!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's less than 10 days before I head south. At this point I have very conflicted feelings about being here so long. It's easy and comfortable which is great but I'm feeling pressure to travel to new places especially out west. Those "barnacles" are rock tripe which is actually edible.

      Delete
  7. Baby loon! How precious! Seton looks like a great place for a retreat ! Quilting 2x a year...wonder if they quilt outside with those lovely views?? Impressive swimming- great exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really great seeing the baby loons on so many ponds. I agree Seyon would be great for a retreat or a family gathering. The woman who is the manager, whose name is Cheryl, is from Virginia.

      Delete
  8. Such a sweet summer you're having in Vermont! I'm so glad you're happy with your choice to be there for three months, even with some days that you've been rained out (or in?). It's a good thing you can always fall back on one of your favorite activities...reading! Lucky you to see so many loons and chicks in your kayaking adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I love when you paddle. Seeing the Loons, especially chicks is sure a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful locations! I especially like Seyon Lodge State Park. I'm very sad that Mary and Gary are selling the campground. We only just discovered it and hoped to return. I certainly understand they need a break from 24/7 work though. Wishing them a happy retirement. Hope the new owners will run it in a similar fashion.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.