Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Turn Signal Saga

August 1-10, 2023                                                              Most Recent Posts:
Actually June 21- August 10, 2023                     End of July at Peacham Bog
Moose River Campground                          Tubing, Moosing, Cook-Off & Ponds
St Johnsbury, Vermont


This saga took almost 2 months to come to completion.


PXL_20230621_204822145Back on the Summer Solstice, June 21, I discovered that the lens cover for my driver’s side turn signal was missing.  The signal works fine but is blinding without the cover.  I’m sure it must be traffic ticket worthy so I tried to find a replacement.  

Winnebago parts are getting harder and harder to find and the older the RV (don’t mention this to Winnona) the harder it is. 

I found a number on the lens cover for the passenger light and asked google who had no answers that made sense.   I mentioned this to my friend Jody who is a research wizard and probably spent even more time than I did trying to trace it down to no avail.  So I brought out my big guns and wrote to my Winnebago and former full timer friend Paul Dahl.  He almost always has an answer to any question I can ask.   He is my Class A RV and Winnebago Guru.

By June 30 Paul had taken over the hunt and with his ingenuity had discovered that the lights were those from a Pontiac sunbird or something like that.  I forget exactly but they had never been “Winnebago Parts”.  How did he know this?


PXL_20230801_183439805.MP

To shorten the story -  he found and ordered both lights so I wouldn’t have to go through this again and sent them to me.   You cannot just buy the lens of course you have to buy the entire light fixture. 

But here they are and a few screws out and new screws in will fix me up.  Looks like something I can easily do myself rather than paying a service charge and then an hourly charge for an RV tech to do it.






PXL_20230801_183334155.MP


Except………………… that the screws have been in there for nearly 20 years now and are rusted solid to the washers and nuts in the back.  No amount of turning and no tools, no WD-40 or other supposed rust alleviating product will budge them.   I tried one after another for days.








PXL_20230810_171959734.MP

I am so frustrated that I take my sad tale to the folks sitting around on the campground porch in the Adirondack chairs.   Mary says Jack will look at it for me.

He does and tries to get it out with even more rust dissolver and better screwdrivers and wrenches to no avail.  

FINALLY on August 10 he comes with a drill and drills the whole thing out.  I run up to the hardware for new stainless steel screws washers and nuts and shortly I have two new turn signals.  






20230822_183312


Jack will not take a penny for his time so I ask his wife what is his favorite “treat” and at her suggestion buy him three different boxes of magnum ice cream bars.  



PXL_20230810_220640648.MPThanks to Jody, Paul and Jack for saving me a bundle of money including the price of the ticket I might have gotten trying to drive Winnona south next month without the lens cover.   I am SO lucky to have such great friends to help me out when I find myself mechanically challenged.   
(whisper to David wherever you are.  I MISS you.  It took 3 strong men to replace you)

I am SO relieved to have this fixed and out of the way that in addition to Magnum Bars for Jack, I treat myself to an ice cream sundae.  That’s a black spoon in the picture.

Not sure why I deserved a treat since after my initial days of searching for the part my friends did all the work and I would definitely buy Jody and Paul ice cream sundaes if they were only here.

Next time back to Loons and Pond Paddling.

22 comments:

  1. Of course! you deserve a treat! You worked your butt off trying to fix it yourself before asking around for more solutions. RVing friends are the best! Glad that's out of the way and you can enjoy your stays more without worrying about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your treat support Jeannie. I too am glad that's out of the way.

      Delete
  2. Fixing anything is a headache these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And very costly. Hope you all are well Lynne.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you have good people around you. That’s your David looking out for you. I’m in Connecticut , glad to be out of the Florida heat but have to get back to Tampa for my meet up with Dr Shain .Continue enjoying your summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are glad to be out of the Florida heat Jackie. How are things going with you and MM? Give my regards to the wonderful Dr Shain.

      Delete
  4. It is so nice to have friends to help out with this kind of thing. Definitely ice cream worthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have it finally done. It was such a little thing and should have been way easier than it was.

      Delete
  5. It's great that Paul was able to research and find the parts for you. Just when you think you've got it, the screws are stuck. Luckily there are nice people at the campground and now Winnona is fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly Pam. Not sure what I would have done if Paul hadn't been able to find them for me. I sure did my share of looking but it never dawned on me that they wouldn't be Winnebago parts.

      Delete
  6. It feels so great to have those long-time issues resolved at last!! A few years ago we went through that (weeks, not months though) getting the broken bolt out of our electric steps. Finding someone who could finally remove it after several others had failed was such a big deal :-)) Sadly it's already getting challenging to find replacement parts for our 2014 Thor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely sad that the older RVs which are much better made, or at least mine is, than anything newer have such parts problems. Glad we both got ours resolved.

      Delete
  7. So glad this is resolved!! You deserve a treat too for sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good friends are worth their weight in gold. So glad you got this figured out. Have some ice cream for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Brenda. Thanks for giving me an excuse to have some more. Good to see you in the comments

      Delete
  9. Glad you got help. The older the RV the harder to find parts. I have two high side running light covers missing. Good thing I rarely drive after dark. Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have loved that you have been in one place long enough to get to know people who can be there in a pinch for you. It makes a lot of difference in how life feels, managageable or not manageable. Back to kayaking ponds, and we are heading for a lake that is smaller than most of the ponds that you are kayaking, although this is another one in the bottom of a volcanic caldera.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those RV builders used whatever was handy to build those things. I remember when my heater fan failed, I removed it and the AutoZone guy Recognized it as a 1968 Chevy truck fan. Lucky for me they had one in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see your new lights are complimenting your famous RV DREAM license plate. You're styling now! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a headache. Good that it resolved itself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Think maybe he can fix my knees? They're kinda rusty too! Glad he was able to fix up Winona!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.