Wednesday, August 16, 2023

End of July at Peacham Bog

Monday July 31, 2023                                                     Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                    Tubing, Moosing, Cook Off & Ponds
Site 20                                           Bemis Brook Trail to Arethusa Falls is Moderate?
St Johnsbury, Vermont




IMG_8909I’ve had the Peacham Bog on my list of things to see all summer long.  After my rainy wash out at the smaller Victory Bog, I waited for a day when no rain was predicted.  That of course does not mean it won’t rain just that they think it won’t.  And of course it rained on the way over and was sprinkling when I got there but I grabbed my raincoat and headed up the nice wooded trail.



IMG_8910In researching what was called the Peacham Bog Loop, I’d read that it was 4.2 miles and also that it was 5.6 miles.  Either was OK with me.  But I’m glad I didn’t know how long it turned out to be or I might not have come.  And ultimately, I’m glad I did.

As in most of Vermont, due to the moisture, there was no shortage of fungi.



The early trail had welcome boardwalks over the mud.

IMG_8911


At this point I was wondering how many people actually hiked this loop.

IMG_8913



IMG_8914I don’t see Indian Pipe also known as Ghost Plant often so they always bring a smile to my face.  They do not photosynthesize and are not considered mushrooms. The forest service calls them wildflowers.  Whatever – I like them.


I’d been following these blue blazes which didn’t appear as frequently as I’d like so I was very glad to see this actual sign telling me that I was still on the right trail


IMG_8915



IMG_8916


IMG_8918



The mushrooms stand out so brightly among the leaves.

IMG_8919

 

IMG_8920



This stream did not have a bridge as the earlier one did but rock hopping was possible.

IMG_8921


At this point, I was beginning to wonder how it could be much further.  I don’t think the bog can have a forest road going to it.  Obviously the round trip wasn’t 4.2 miles since I’d gone a lot further than a mile at this point.

IMG_8922



Because I was beginning to wonder about this whole thing I was on the alert as I walked down the road and did not walk past this sign off to the side which I easily could have.   From a road to a trail I can barely see.

IMG_8926


The trail led into the woods once again.  And another sign.

IMG_8931


There are several different coral mushrooms and I can’t tell them apart. They are edible but I didn’t pick them.  I think they are lovely.

IMG_8933



I’m thinking this mud may be a good omen for getting near the bog.  But getting through it was a chore and it went on for quite a distance.

IMG_8936



Well clearly both estimates of the length of this loop hike were WAY off if I haven’t even reached the bog at over 4 miles.   Thank goodness I started out relatively early.

IMG_8941



And then just up ahead, there was the sign and the expected boardwalk.  FINALLY

IMG_8942




IMG_8944



The walk through the bog was nearly all on wooden boards.  I looked in vain for venus fly traps.  They are the only carnivorous bog plants I know other than the pitcher plants.

IMG_8945




IMG_8946




internet pitcher flower


If I had come earlier in the season, I might have seen the pitcher plant flowers which would have made the plants themselves easier to spot.   This picture of the flower is from the internet.








Utlimately I did spot the pitchers along the boardwalk and after I did, I saw them everywhere. 


PXL_20230731_181437597.MP



PXL_20230731_181743113.MP


At points they were much harder to see among the other plants.


IMG_8949



At other points, the boardwalk was so overgrown with the taller bog bushes that I could not see down into the wet ground.   Many of the trees are Black spruce which grow very slowly and have only a few live branches at the top due to the acidic soil and nutrient deprivation.


IMG_8953



Some pitchers held water, petals and bugs.  Almost filled up to the top.

IMG_8955


Peacham is one of the largest bogs in Vermont.  Its 125 acres is part of the larger  748 acre reserve preserved in its natural state as a unique community within the Groton State Forest.


IMG_8957


The bog is estimated to be about 7000 years old, evolving from a shallow depression left by the melting glaciers some 13000 years ago.  The stagnant pond that filled the depression was slowly invaded by sedges, sphagnum moss and other plants forming a floating mat eventually carpeting the entire surface.  


IMG_8958


As sunlight was choked off the water became acidified as well as deficient in oxygen and nutrients.  Peat built up below and eventually filled the basin.  The slurry of stagnant water and peat causes plants and animals to be preserved for a very long time. 


IMG_8959


Conditions on the surface are very difficult for life and only those plants and animals who can tolerate cold, acid, and a nutrient poor environment can survive.  Thus the carnivorous plants found here.   The pitcher plants have modified leaves known as pitfall traps –a prey trapping mechanism featuring a deep cavity filled with digestive liquid and I assume some water given the rains.  Look closely for the “nutrient”.


IMG_8964


The boardwalk ended at an overlook with an information sign from which I learned all this information and more.  Such an interesting place.

IMG_8966





A few sections of the trail were in the bog itself.   Someone had clearly walked here, but I did not.



IMG_8977



Leaving the bog, the trail quickly returned to forest.


IMG_8980


Now that I’d finally found the bog and been amazed by it, the hike back did not seem so far and I began to wonder if I’d done something wrong on the way in.  This was clearly a different trail – the back of the loop – and felt shorter whether it was or not.


IMG_8981


I should have taken a picture of my fitbit stats at the end but I did write it down..

19730 steps, 7.92 miles.   I was tired but glad I’d come.


IMG_8986


I’ve since looked into whether there is a guided hike to the bog so that I might come again and see what I did wrong that it turned out so much longer than any information I read.  I can’t find anything on line and the Nature Center from which the trail started was closed on Monday.  Many things here in the Northeast Kingdom are only open Wednesday through Sunday.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Quite a hike, nice your watch keeps track of the information. That was so far you're lucky the watch battery didn't run out. ;c)
    Pitcher plants are amazing, I did see the snack in that one picture. Nothing like a little protein to help the plant grow. Wonder where the seeds are to carry on the next years growth? Google here I come! :cD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally broke down and got myself a Fitbit Paul. Now if I can just remember to keep it charged I'll be okay. Seeds are a very good question let me know what you find.

      Delete
  2. That looks like your kind of hiking, Sherry, but not necessarily mine. I like those high mountain ridges and smooth trails, or maybe some slickrock here and there. Not excited about roots and rocks and slippery stuff. Nice to see the photos, though. We do have darlingtonia here in Oregon, probably a bit different varitey, but just as interesting, and yes, we have hiked around the botanical areas where they grow and are protected. Once along the highway to Brookings, another along highway 101 north of Newport. Also drove through a bunch in the Appalachicola NF in the lost coast of Florida. Sadly, the one bog on Highway 199 toward Brookings is in danger today from fires started last night by lightning. When it is hot hot hot and dry dry dry and lightning comes, we all know that fires will follow. It is only going to get worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comments Sue. I love the high mountains too just not the climbs to get up there. I hate that the fires are doing so much damage out west. It is so sad.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Almost 20,000 steps! Lots of miles! Pretty sure we have pitcher plants down by our stream in Maryland. It is quite bog like down there at times. Neat brightly colored mushrooms. I liked the one mushroom looking wildflower...I would definitely think it was a mushroom if I didn't now know better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, pitcher plants by your stream. That would be fantastic. Get some pictures. Hope your beach weather is great. ❤️

      Delete
  5. Wow, long hike! When I think about bogs, mosquitoes? Hope not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Laurie I should have mentioned that there were no mosquitoes. Thanks for mentioning it.

      Delete
  6. Lovely fungi and the pitcher plants are always fun. I love bogs and swamps, such interesting environments! That was quite the distance to cover without being sure it was the right place for awhile, hope you find out if there was a wrong turn somewhere. We're having rain everyday here in southeast Arizona and are nearly as green as Vermont right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on loving the interesting water environments. Wish I'd seen some Venus fly trap. I'm amazed at your rain in Arizona. I never think of it as green. What are the temperatures in August where you are?

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love bogs and the plants found there! Remember when you and David and Eric and I went in search of the pitcher plants near Apalachicola? That was a fun day. And I love all of the beautiful fungi you found. What a great hike!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a delight to see so many different plants than I'm used to. But I do know Indian Pipe. You're getting better at the fungi IDs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know ghost pipes/Indian pipes were not mushrooms. I see they are called flowering mushrooms on one source. They tap into tree roots for nutrients supposedly. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.