Thursday, February 1, 2024

Myakka Bird Walk and Outpost

January 4, 2024                                                            Most Recent Posts:
Myakka River State Park                                  Pictures Are Back Sort Of!
Sarasota, Florida                             Bringing in the New Year – January 2024


Still no luck on pictures viewable on cell phones.  Only on laptops.

In addition to miles of hiking and kayaking, Myakka River State Park has number of other things to see and do.

At the other end of the park road from the ranger station and my campground is a bird walk.  It’s a very long boardwalk that ends at a viewing platform.  The boardwalk normally goes out into the Upper Lake which the river flows through.

Usually the water completely covers the area you see as brown in this picture.

IMG_0378


But until recently they have not had enough rain and as you can see, green grass has grown up to the platform and the lake is far removed and without binoculars or a viewing scope like the volunteer on the left has brought you can’t see anything.


IMG_0379


And that’s what I saw, nothing.   It was disappointing since there are nearly always a lot of wading birds, ducks and gators around.


So I walked a mile down the road to the commercial area of the park.   This is the end of the channel which is used to load up boat tours or launch rental boats or your own if you have one.   The building in the distance is the pavilion known as The Outpost.

IMG_0398


Due to frequent flooding, at least in the past, the building is on stilts and has a gift shop and a restaurant.  I thought I might have lunch here.



IMG_0401



But I found out when I got there that the building is under renovation and the restaurant half of it is closed.  Only the gift shop remains and I’m not a shopper.


IMG_0402


What they do have is a mobile kitchen just beyond the steps.  Pretty sorry looking.


IMG_0452



Here are the offerings.   A greatly reduced version of their normal menu.

IMG_0453



From there I walked down to the area of the old Weir which I was sad to see they had taken out.   The weir was an earthen dam constructed by the CCC in 1938.  Water was held back during dry times (normally March –June)  and would flow over it during wet times.  But apparently there were ecological consequences to this as well as maintenance costs.  It was removed along with the viewing platform that was there.   It was estimated that removing the weir could create about 70 acres of additional wetland habitat.  So I guess that’s a good thing.  Still it was an interesting part of the park’s history.

But the gators and black vultures who were always there, are still here along the banks.  They don’t seem to care.

IMG_0417



IMG_0416



IMG_0420




IMG_0424



As Laurel kindly pointed out in her comment.  These are actually Blue Winged Teals and just goes to show that my birding skills have atrophied along with a lot of other things.

IMG_0427


I love this picture.  I was so lucky to get it.


IMG_0428




IMG_0429



Limpkin with a bite of lunch.



There was a wide variety of birds here today which was very nice.




This is one of the only parks in which I see the Roseate Spoonbill so there are multiple pictures of them.  Such unique birds.  I hope their name doesn’t get changed.  It seems perfect to me.








IMG_0442



IMG_0451



On my walk back to my car at the Bird Walk, this handsome hawk flew in and posed.






When I saw the picture below, it reminded me of Judy Bell who was a wonderful full time RVer  National Wildlife Volunteer.  This is a tribute to her if any of you followed her.   She ended most of her posts with

THE END


IMG_0448

25 comments:

  1. Wowza! What a difference the pictures make! Using the IPad and Safari and presto! Sherry your story came to life and it was so worth it ( minus the gator 🐊 pic😳!) Enjoyed seeing the birds! More up my alley! Birds for you there are like cacti for us here in the deserts of TX, NM, and now AZ! Carry on! And keep up the great entertainment of your journey! 💜 Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were able to see the blog as I intended it. Phones just don't do it even when the pictures show up. The formatting is all wrong. I knew you'd love that gator when I posted him.

      Delete
  2. I always loved that place. Pics bring back good memories. How did you get a reservation there? It was always like winning the lotto, but with the new changes that gives a HUGE preferential advantage to FL residents, I thought it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get a reservation as an out-of-state resident. Good for you. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reservation was sheer luck but it didn't hold for me all winter as you will see coming up. Great to see you in the comments Chris. Don't be a stranger. Where are you and Teddy this winter?

      Delete
  3. As usual, great pictures...except for those gators. :-) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming Pam. You didn't think that gator was great looking? :-)

      Delete
  4. Love seeing the spoonbills, but the limpkin is most fun for me. I never even heard of that bird until I heard the weird squawks walking around the wildlife preserve at Paynes Pairie. Saw the weird birds and had to look them up. I know now they are more prevalant than I realized, but I still get tickled when I see them, even though they aren't exactly beautiful. Good thing we don't all have to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue it is definitely a good thing we do not all have to be beautiful. Glad I could put the Limpkin in for you. There were actually more Spoonbills at Myakka than Limpkins.

      Delete
  5. Loved loved seeing all the birds. And even the alligator was ok to see ! I hope you are enjoying this stay . finally , the weather is warming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a chilly winter in Florida but still warmer than other places and I have had some wonderful hikes and times on the rivers. Thanks for your comment Jacque.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love the Spoonbills. How did nature come up with that lovely shade of pink? Love "The End", nice tribute to Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie. I am so glad you remembered Judy and her blog.

      Delete
  7. Some really great photos Sherry, especially loved the hawk, gator with his mouth open and the great colors on the spoon bill and the ducks. Nice timing and great focus, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment Shayne I'm glad you can see the pictures and hope you are not having to do it on a phone.

      Delete
  8. Wow! You got some wonderful pictures! The alligator with his/her mouth opened looks threatening. What is the little black and white bird sitting in the water? The roseate spoonbills are odd looking but their color is very pretty. I wonder if, like flamingos, they have to eat shrimp to have that color. That hawk looking as if to say, "WHAT are you looking at?" is fantastic. It is worthy of printing and framing. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The alligator definitely looks threatening Pam but he's just cooling himself off. I put the name of the Black Necked Stilt on the picture right lower corner. I'm sorry you didn't see it. .

      Delete
  9. So for $15 you can get a gator to bite you? I think I'll pass on that one. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious Paul. Thanks for the laugh. You clearly look closely at the pictures.

      Delete
  10. I LOVE rosette spoonfuls! They are unique and that pink is so eye catching. But, my favorite pictures here are the mallards. Love their colors. Great hawk pictures too! The end picture made me smile. Dad would have laughed at that one too no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he would have laughed since he knew Judy. Glad you like the mallards. Everybody thinks they are such ordinary birds but they really are very lovely.

      Delete
  11. So strange to see no water in the lake at the end of the boardwalk! You had so many wonderful bird sightings. We've been looking for a Black-necked Stilt, but no luck yet. I always love the spoonbills! The birds you thought were mallards are actually Blue-winged Teal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurel. I'm so glad I can count on you to fix my errors. I'm not sure what has happened to my knowledge. I've spent enough winters in Florida that I should know that although I don't do much birding out of the state these days unfortunately.

      Delete
  12. Must be challenging to keep the kitchen going in that little trailer, but kudos to them for trying! I'm always all in for gator bites :-) Beautiful wildlife, love the spoonbills. A sweet nod to Judy Bell, she always had great birds too. Since I ended up reading them all together anyway, the only real difference for me was being able to share more brilliant comments :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always love your comments Jodee. You are so faithful. I'm glad you read on a laptop. I still haven't figured out the mobile device trick. Most people don't read comments on blogs but I do too. I always find the very interesting. I did have some gator bites later in the week.

      Delete
  13. Great birding! ~ Gaelyn
    I'm finally on my laptop so I can read and see pics. Got a bit behind because of lack of Quartzsite signal.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.