Thursday, February 8, 2024

Last Days at Myakka River

January 7-12, 2024                                             Most Recent Posts:
Myakka River State Park      On the Myakka River and Into the Wilderness
Site 65                                                      Myakka Bird Walk and Outpost              
Sarasota, Florida


 


20240107_140335


Myakka River State Park has 39 miles of hiking trails.  Some short, some require backpacking.  There is a horse trail and biking trails as well.

During my final days here, I took the connected hikes on the Nature Trail and the Canopy Walk.

The nature trail, seen here, is  mostly shaded and goes through a Palm-oak hammock. 






Its boardwalk crosses lovely wetlands and there are some plant identification and other informational signage along the trail.


20240107_140856



20240107_140929



20240107_141219



At the parking area for both the Nature Trail and Canopy Walks there are two trailheads.  Taking either one will enable you to connect to the other if you wish.

I walked a mile from the campground and first took the Nature Trailhead and connected to the Canopy Walk.  Building and maintaining this structure is a huge undertaking requiring  thousands of dollars and  over 2500 hours of labor for its construction not to mention on going maintenance much of which is volunteer.

The picture below is the lower tower coming from the Nature Trail.


20240107_142828


Along with other informational signs was this map of canopy towers in the US.  I’m curious now to find the others.  This is #14 on the map.  The closest other ones are #13 Columbus GA, #12  Atlanta GA,  #11 Coward S.C.,  #10 Otto NC, and   #9  Sewanee TN.  There are actually canopy walks all over the world including Costa Rica, Peru, Nigeria, and  Germany among others.  There is a list of them all posted.


20240107_143019



Before climbing up the entrance steps I walked underneath and looked up.

20240107_143704



Looking down as I climbed.  The steps are on the right.

20240107_143826



The walk is one way.  It’s wonderful to walk among the branches of the trees.

20240107_143840




It’s a long way down.

20240107_144005




Once you cross over you can walk up the taller tower and look down on the walk.

20240107_144131



You can definitely see a long way including to two small bodies of water in the far distance.  Be sure to bring binoculars.  In this picture I’m at the highest level.

I wish I had come out for sunset.  That’s a definite on my list for “next time”.


20240107_144423



In this picture, I’m one level down.  Later in this post I show some pictures of the tower from a distance as it sticks up over the surrounding forest.


20240107_144453




This is the taller of the two towers showing the walk coming into it.

20240107_145051




IMG_0866

The last hike I took was on a threatening rain day and photographs were difficult.  It’s called Alligator Point and was new to me.  Not sure if it is new to the park or somehow I just never got it on my itinerary.

It begins as a road with a wild hog pen on the left.  I definitely have noticed much less wild hog damage in the park this time.  Wish I’d thought to ask about it at the ranger station. 


Mud from the frequent rains was evident.  With the sandy soil the rains usually seep in.





Shortly the trail narrowed.






Alligator point turned out to be in a bend of the river and had a bench for sitting and a picnic table for lunch.


IMG_0885




The view included the Canopy Tower  along the tree line just right of midway in the picture.  The pictures of the Anhinga show him sitting on the thin stump in the middle of the little spit of land jutting out into the river.   I can see how why birders in particular might like this spot.





IMG_0872



IMG_0873



IMG_0874



I zoomed for better pictures of the Canopy above the tree line.


IMG_0893



IMG_0920


This is why I love my canon.  The second picture is not cropped from the first but is a zoom from the original spot at Alligator Point showing the Canopy Walk as just a dot on the tree line.   The camera is much better than my binoculars.


IMG_0919





Back to Alligator Point.  Definitely a serene spot.  I didn’t see one person the entire hike.


IMG_0886




IMG_0888



On the way back I did see this curious red bellied woodpecker.  His colors are not nearly as sharp on this gray day without lightening the picture and making the skies white.

IMG_0902


IMG_0905



I have a hard time telling a hairy from a downy woodpecker but this bill looks longer so I’m guessing Hairy.

IMG_0912



The final bird of the day was the Great Blue Heron.


IMG_0917



I’m going to close out this final post from Myakka River State Park with 4 favorite photos from various days and places.


Not sure what the growth is on the front of this hawk.   I have a closer picture of it but it’s not so appealing.

IMG_0668



IMG_0678





Snowy Egret with golden slippers.

IMG_0695



Next up is the first result of the reservation blues.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, the canopy trail structure is really something. I'm in awe at the work that went into design and construction of it, but it must be so cool to walk it and see nature that you'd miss from ground level. That is something I have to put on my bucket list. Does it come with a courtesy parachute? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See how far the one in South Carolina is from you Paul.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are one busy woman! The tower and canopy walk are REALLY cool, I've not seen a walk like that before, thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only seem busy Shayne because I only post about the days when I do things but remember in the course of 2 weeks I'm not old that busy really.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoyed the Canopy Tower and trail. Though relatively short, it’s scenic and love the view from the top of the tower. Enjoy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Chris. It was great to talk to you and I'm really glad you are so much better.

      Delete
  4. The tower/canopy walk combo are a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Pam. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That canopy walk is spectacular! I see by the map that there are some in Northern California, probably in the redwoods. Have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it Laurie and I'm sure there are some in California. As they say just Google it.

      Delete
  6. The photos are truly wonderful, Sherry. They remind me of the biggest difference between hiking and kayaking in Florida vs doing the same out west. We have some spectacular views and landscapes but I have never seen the varied number of species of birds and animals as we have seen on a single foray into the forests and waterways of Florida. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right that the variety of flora and fauna is much greater in the East. A Hiking friend from Colorado came to visit 1 year and was blown away just by the number of different oaks that we have. But the landscape beauty in the West is spectacular and those skies. Thanks for taking the time to comment Sue.

      Delete
  7. You really did it all at Myakka SP! I remember that cool canopy walk . Now you're making me want to go back there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great information! Never heard of canopy towers and will definitely be looking for one on our next trip. That is really neat. As always, your bird pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible there is one in Texas Roger. I'll see if I can find out. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful bird and wetland pictures, as always. The canopy tower is an impressive structure! Glad we get to share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The canopy walk is very cool and gives such a different perspective of the surrounding life. Not walked one, but did go in a canopy crane in southern Washington and zipline in South Africa. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.