Thursday, February 15, 2024

Everything was Going Fine and Then. . . .

January 17 – 21, 2024                                                  Most Recent Posts:
Silver Springs State Park                     Ross Prairie and the Reservation Blues
Silver Springs, Florida                                      Last Days at Myakka River




PXL_20240117_204618561.MPAs the title says, everything was going fine.  I had two days at Ross Prairie and stopped on the very short drive of 25 miles to Silver Springs State Park to get Winnona’s Lube and Oil change done.  

As I approached the right hand turn into the park, there was a car parked right on the side of the entry way.  I have no idea if that had anything to do with what happened but I swung wide to avoid him and as I pulled through the gate I heard a LOUD BANG.   What did I hit was my first thought.  I looked in both mirrors and saw nothing.  There was no where to pull over so I drove on to the ranger check in station with banging going on constantly.  Now I’m REALLY WORRIED.

I check in, pull over, get out and see this.   I have no idea how those steps got out since they were in when I left the Service place.  Later speculation by those who helped me with the problem was that either the bolt on the arm broke and dragged on the ground or somehow they came out when I swung wide.  Like everything else, they are 20 years old this year too.

Whatever it was, it is now a big problem.  Although I remind myself that I can spend a LOT of money on Winnona before I could possibly buy something else newer and less well built.



PXL_20240118_145826873.MPI arrived at my site which was a pull though and thus did not add to my stress.  My neighbor, Matt Silver, across the way asked me how my day was going and I said not so hot.  He came over to see why and said he knew a guy a couple of sites down that was a welder and he’d get him to come take a look.  

Matt and Jim Griffith came down the next day.  Jim thought it could probably be bent back into shape by a welding shop.  The problem was I really could not drive the RV with them hanging down like that.  They must have been banging against the frame but the racket was unnerving.

Jim crawled under the rig and with Matt’s help they worked for well over an hour to get the steps off the rig so I could take them to the welding shop.  I am so lucky to have such wonderful people come to my rescue.

I was also so grateful that Jim was knowledgeable in removing them since they are automatic, have a motor and a gear box  and had many more connections than just nuts and bolts.

PXL_20240118_145843721.MP



Turns out that Jim’s tools were not heavy duty enough but David’s were which totally reinforced my feeling that I should not remove his tools from the bins.

PXL_20240118_152801271.MP



Matt pulled the steps out and boy are they HEAVY.  I couldn’t pick them up so they put them in the trunk of my car for me to take to the welding shop I’d found just a few miles away in Ocala.


PXL_20240118_153004171.MP




So here I am with no steps, a leveled up rig which was of course lower on the passenger side and a short stool to help me get in.   It was a REALLY BIG step up.  

20240118_114931



The green stool  lasted about a day and I replaced it with my two step stool   I had to use that for for about 5 days.  When I went to the welder, he said yes they could bend it back and make it work again but he wasn’t sure the motor or thee gear box were not damaged.  Given his dollar per hour charge to fix it and the age of the steps, it wasn’t much more expensive for him to just order me a whole new set up,   But adding the installation charge it’s going to be a huge dent in my finances.

20240120_100125



I was so sorry that Matt and his wife Paige had to leave a couple of days later.  They had reservations in the Keys and given how cold and rainy it was here, I know they were happy to be going.  They were the ones who first reached out to me and I will always be grateful to them.


PXL_20240119_153220509.MP


The star of the steps removal was Jim Griffith.  He and his wife Judy were at the park a few days longer but not long enough.  Right before they pulled out I went down to get a picture of them and forgot my camera and phone DUH….so I took this one with Judy’s phone and she sent it to me.  I was so sorry to see them leave.  They aren’t going far, just to Rainbow Springs and then I think they will be back in Silver Springs but I will be gone by then.   Don’t know how they manage to get Silver Springs reservations nearly back to back but I’m glad for them.   I’m also glad that I’ve been able to keep in touch with both couples since they left.  So many RVers are such nice people.


Jim & Judy Griffiths



I wasn’t lonely for long.  Two days later  my friend Sharon from Tennessee came to spend a few days with me.   She rented an air B&B not 2 miles from the park and we were able to spend a cold and rainy week-end together.   Wish it could have been longer.

I’m hoping she will come and visit again when I’m here at Silver Springs campground next time.  Possibly she could rent one of their cabins.  There is a loop of 8 or 9 of them and they are darling.


20240119_161124



She arrived on Friday and on Saturday we went to the Ocala Market which is not strictly a Farmer’s Market.  In fact, there were only two vegetable stands.


20240120_110726



20240120_110822



The market was near the historic district of Ocala so we put some miles on our feet walking through it.   I took pictures of some of the homes but sadly none of them were very good.

20240120_112001



Many of the towns in Florida have painted animal statues around their downtowns or historic districts.  In Ocala they have horses as this area was the horse breeding capital of Florida and may still be though I’m afraid housing developments are moving in.


20240120_112121



We decided to have lunch at an all day breakfast spot appropriately named Scrambles.

20240120_122253



I’d forgotten to take any pictures of us and our plates were empty by the time I remembered.  Sharon agreed to this picture but unfortunately you cannot see her smiling friendly face.

20240120_130427


We were back to her place by 2pm so she could watch her Tennessee Basketball team.   She was happy they whipped the Alabama Crimson Tide 91 to 71.



PXL_20240121_113823206.MPThat night was a cold one and the next day only marginally better.   As you can see it is 10:26am when the temperature climbed from 29 to 32 degrees.  Remember this is FLORIDA.  It is NOT supposed to FREEZE.

We’d thought we might go for a hike ,on Sunday, but when the wind picked up it was SERIOUSLY cold. 

Instead, 2e gathered up snack food and headed back to Sharon’s where we watched her Tennessee Women’s Basketball Team play.  They won too 73 to 64.   And then I got to watch my favorite women, the South Carolina Gamecocks coached by former UVA all star standout, Olympian and Pro Player,  Dawn Staley.  They are #1 in the country and as I type this in mid February are still undefeated.  

It was a great afternoon for me since I still have not figured out how to be able to watch ACC basketball for less than $80 a month to stream it.   And it was really  wonderful to be able to watch basketball with another fan.   Thank you so much Sharon for coming to visit and for loving basketball too.

20 comments:

  1. It was fortunate to have guys who were willing to help you with the steps! The OBX has horse statues (for the wild horses in Corolla). Each business that got one were able to paint them however they wanted. I know it was fun watching basketball with Sharon. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what happens in all the towns that have the statues. A business buys the statue, an artist paints it, they have a contest and then the statues stay in the town. Interesting that OBX has horses since the real ones are only on the very very very far end where few people go.

      Delete
  2. Wow, it breaks my heart to see you have troubles like these, but every time I'm pleasantly surprised to see good people there to help you out. For that I'm definitely grateful. Glad that you decided to get a new set, I can't imagine the motor or gears going out a couple of weeks or months later after investing in the rest and having it quit.
    Truly glad you got to see some basketball, after the struggle. I can see your beautiful smile now...😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have my share of troubles Shayne but it's less expensive to repair Winnona than to replace her. And I too am infinitely grateful for folks like you and so many others who come to my aid.

      Delete
  3. Aren't RVers wonderful?! So glad there were 2 couples willing to help. We sure have fond memories of Ocala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am so happy to have stumbled into such wonderful folks on my travels.

      Delete
  4. So glad you had some help with the steps. People can be quite wonderful. One of my treasured memories with Bel was the year Horse Fever opened in Ocala. Pretty sure it was 2001. Bel took me all over town and we photographed every one of the original 52 horses from that show. I have the book and Bel bought two of the horses for me (models of course). Then she bought an oil painting for me done by an artist whose horse auctioned for 80,000 bucks. The painting is of Paynes Prairie. Such treasured memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your wonderful memories Sue. Thank you so much for sharing them. I'd love to see your Paynes Prairie painting that too is a great state park.

      Delete
  5. Ah yes, the step ladder at the door days :-) Taking our three step ladder with us saved us at least three times when we had stairs issues. A pain for sure, but a much easier fix than most other things (especially with helpful neighbors!) Wonderful that you had a good friend with television to improve the stay - and that you got to enjoy the games with another fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you and I share the stairs/step ladder woes. But that is behind for all of us. You definitely understand how much fun it is to enjoy games with others. Wish I could make it happen more often.

      Delete
  6. It's always something, glad you are still enjoying life.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you knee deep in snow Tom or hip deep??

      Delete
    2. I am so happy you had neighbors to help you, Sherry. You have met so many wonderful people on your travels - a whole new friend group. How marvelous! Go Gamecocks! Go 'Hoos!

      Delete
    3. BTW, this is Pam Sprouse. Guess I didn't quite finish my identification. :-)

      Delete
    4. Thanks for letting me know it was you Pam. I have NO idea why sometimes your name comes up and other times it doesn't. I have met really wonderful people which is one of the reasons I love doing this.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! That was a disaster with your steps! So glad you had such wonderful people help you. I know how much you love Winnona, so I'm glad you were able to have her repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely a disaster and yes I love her but she's too big for just me. Still it is cheaper to repair than to replace.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you, cheaper to repair than replace. I hear it all the time that I should sell my Journey and get something newer and smaller, but I have so much in it and would never get anywhere near the value of a sale. Plus the Journey is like a comfortable old pair of shoes, they fit you right. I know its parts inside and out and am able to take care of issues when the pop up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having your stamp of approval for my decision means a lot Paul.

      Delete
  9. RVers are usually friendly and helpful, thank goodness. Hope those new steps are on and working. The step stool is a pain. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.