Monday, January 29, 2024

Pictures are Back Sort Of!

January 29, 2024                                                        Most Recent Posts:
Myakka River State Park                Bringing in the New Year – January 2024
Sarasota Florida                                               Days at Alafia River State Park



HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Nelson Kodama, who is a great  programmer, has written a JAVA script that when included in my Blogger layout as a “gadget” has fixed the pictures problem.   I thought  I’d lost all the pictures for On My Own and for the 9 years of In The Direction of Our Dreams that I did with David.  These are my memories.  I am just overjoyed.  Can never thank Nelson enough.   BUT, it appears that is only on my laptop.  Neither of my android phones using chrome will bring them up.

PLEASE do let me know if you can or cannot view these pictures and what device (phone etc) you are using and what  browser.



Back to Myakka.


IMG_0228 That last post was on my hike along the river just past the kayak put in bridge.  It also talked about the morning coffees at the pavilion.   This post is about the hike that starts at the pavilion by the outside picnic tables and goes along a different section of the Myakka River.   A later post will show both of these hikes water fronts from the water.


It’s much less concerning to see this guy on the opposite shore from where you are hiking, especially when he slides quietly into the water as you watch.   Although, one year, and I’m sure I blogged about it,  I was coming back on this hike and a fellow just like this and about this size was on my side of the river and laying across the trail.


IMG_0229



It can be quite surprising if you are in a kayak to see them silently slip on but not as much as when they leap from the banks which they did on both my trips down the river this year.


IMG_0231



The trail runs along the river, but through the woods so there are only some viewpoints especially as you get further along and the woods gets more dense.

IMG_0233



IMG_0234



IMG_0236



I hear bird names are being reconsidered and changed.  I wonder what they will do to these two.  The Little Blue certainly does not look like a smaller version of the Great Blue.   What do you and Eric think about this Laurel?


IMG_0241



Beautiful Live Oak Trees early on.


IMG_0242



IMG_0245




Well I’m not at all sure about this and need some birding help.  Pretty sure he’s a Great Blue but with black feathers??    This was not my canon.  This is what I saw.  Has anyone else ever seen this before?


IMG_0246




I’m always amazed that birds don’t seem to be worried.


IMG_0255







IMG_0260




IMG_0262



I could hear him coming from his calling as he flew in.  He landed, took a look around and



off he went.




I have seen Roseate Spoonbills here at Myakka before but always at the old Weir near the Outpost.  I was surprised to see them here across the river.







Here it is again, even closer.

IMG_0333




There is no doubt that gator could wheel around and have the Egret for lunch.

IMG_0337



Looks like this is the only shot I took of the denser section of the trail which is an out and back.


IMG_0363



Myakka River State Park has a number of hiking  trails throughout the park but these two are my favorites along with the much longer one that goes to the Deep Hole. 


IMG_0364

32 comments:

  1. I often wonder how gators get enough to eat to grow so large. Keeps me from sticking my toes in the water. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question but if they eat big birds that would help a lot.

      Delete
  2. Can you share that java script with me as it may fix my recent problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will send it to you but I just discovered that the pictures are not showing up on my Android phones using Chrome. Were you using a phone and able to see them??

      Delete
    2. No I wasn't but did check on my Android with Chrome and they don't work on it.

      Delete
  3. My guess is it's a tricoloured heron with the third colour hidden in its bent neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But black?? I know tricolored herons and this one sure didn't look like one.

      Delete
  4. Sherry, Pictures came up fine on my MacBook Pro, running Safari and also on my iPhone 15 pro max running safari, however, I had to click on the picture reference to actually see the photos on the phone. The blog text came up automatically. I enjoy your post and have followed you (and David) for many years. I guess I am a lurker since I don't comment. I also follow most of the blog roll of The Bayfield Bunch. My wife and I fulltime RV'ed from 2007 until we settled down in Apollo Beach, purchasing a home in late 2019. Debbie Goode, my wife did our blogging under The GoodeLife for most of that time. Thank you for the posts on your adventures. Billy Goode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billy it is so great to hear from you finally. I'm thrilled that you have been reading my blog for so long and finally decided to let me know. I'm really unhappy that the pictures do not show up automatically on cell phones it appears of any kind but do show up on laptops of any kind. Sure wish I could figure out why.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherry, some really great photos! Boy you seen a lot of the gators this time. Wonderful seeing 2 hanging out so close like that. I always wonder how the birds can be so comfortable, especially when they're being followed down a river.
    I'm using a Samsung S22 Ultra phone. The 1st pic didn't work, it's number was actually completely blue like the text, rather than green like the rest.
    The overall experience was the same as before, click to see them or else hold to have options of downloading, etc.
    Really glad that you can see all of your old stuff, that's SO important...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No luck with pics Sherry on my I phone using Safari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know Mary. If you have a laptop of any sort it will be a nicer experience.

      Delete
  7. Hey Sherry. Wow, big gators. So surprised to see them so close to the herons. I had to click on each "img" to see them. I am reading your blog on my Android phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could see the pictures by clicking them but so sorry that you have to do that. Everything is fine on laptops but not on phones.

      Delete
  8. Using my miniMac and Firefox browser your post is all complete....photos fine...and good to see. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto Billy Goode’s scenario: Safari. iPhone 15. No pics unless I click on placeholder icon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pictures don't show on my android, but it is very easy to click and they open fast. So many birds and gators! How wonderful see all that life! Beautiful river.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sherry, I can see your photos on my Mac using Safari. Love all of your wildlife! That is indeed a Tricolor Heron. And as far as the name changes for birds, the only ones they are changing are those named after people to avoid any kind any kind of cultural/racial offense. The Latin names won't be changed, just the common names. Although it's kind of daunting to have to learn new bird names, we understand why the ornithology community has decided to do this to make birding more inclusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I meant Tricolored Heron

      Delete
    2. I knew what you meant Laurel but how can you tell it's a tricolored heron when it's black. Or am I the only one who's never seen a black one before.

      Delete
    3. The color pattern is definitely a Tricolored Heron...it looks dark gray-blue to me...I checked with my resident expert Eric and he says Tricolored, too. :-)

      Delete
  12. Well dang. Computer not hooked up reading on my phone. No photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it Sue. I wish I knew what to do about it.

      Delete
  13. little blue, limpkin, roseate spoonbills, what a treat to finally see the photos, Sherry. Just wonderful. Although I didn't see that Laurel thought maybe it was a tricolored heron. As you said, hard to tell. So sweet to see Myakka again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to see what the blog is really supposed to look like. Myakka is wonderful with birds. Wish you'd been here.

      Delete
  14. The blue heron has perfect posture. The alligators make me nervous because they can actually run fast for short distances. The poor roseate spoonbill would be the nerd of the class if he was a child. The hawk looks suspicious. He's lovely. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your comment made me laugh Pam. thanks. Suspicious looking is a great description for hawks. Maybe the Roseate would be prom Queen instead of a high school nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh such wonderful birds and gators!!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful natural world on the other coast. So very different from our desert winters. No mater what he's called, that blackish heron is gorgeous. Still seeing full posts on Chrome on the laptop. Glad I don't have to see your photos on the little screen of my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not afraid of much when hiking, but gators would make me nervous. I'm envious of all those beautiful birds.
    Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.