Sunday, February 11, 2024

Ross Prairie and the Reservation Blues

January 15-16, 2024                                                    Most Recent Posts:
Ross Prairie Trailhead                                        Last Days at Myakka River
and Campground                    On the Myakka River and Into the Wilderness
Dunnellon, Florida



PXL_20240115_222916676.MPThere is an amazing ordeal to go through to get reservations in the winter for nearly all Florida State Parks.   When David and I first began coming here in the winters, it was significantly easier although you did have to make those reservations 11 months in advance which I find ridiculous.  Who can know for sure what they will be doing 11 months from now.  But there were always sites to be had.  Covid changed all that when so many people who were not retired could now be on the road full time and work from “home”.  



PXL_20240115_200226815.MP

This past year was all but impossible, the worst yet.  My usual routine is to book state parks beginning in early November and stay in each for 2 weeks.  That means I must have another reservation to begin the day I have to leave where I currently am.   The matching has become a serious problem and this year I failed to be able to get a site at Silver Springs for January 15 when I had to leave Myakka.   I failed 2 days in a row.  I finally got a site for two weeks at Silver Springs beginning January 17.  That meant I had to fill in 2 days preferably with a park somewhere reasonably on the way between Myakka and Silver Springs.  The planning for an RVer is not an easy thing.



PXL_20240115_200307177.MP

Ross Prairie is located on the southern edge of the Cross Florida Greenway.  It is used primarily by equestrians and trail bike riders.  The area is ecologically unique having sandhill and wetland prairie systems adjacent to each other.  I’m told the habitat changes with the seasons and water volume of the prairie; when wet, dozens of waterfowl, wading birds and more wildlife can be spotted.  I was only there two days and it rained part of one and all of another so I didn’t get to see much. 

All 14 campsites in this small park are pull through, have water and 30/50 amp hook ups along with a dump station.  It was a welcome port in a storm so to speak.   Particularly welcome as I didn’t even have to unhook.  Not sure about other sites but mine was not level so I just didn’t put out my slides for those days.


Despite the rains, I was able to hike sections of the trail going off from the campground.

PXL_20240115_204306119.MP



PXL_20240115_204457265.MP



Love Florida’s Live Oaks

PXL_20240115_210754382.MP



The trails in this area meander through Live oak hammocks and islands interspersed around the edge of Ross Prairie.  Wildlife that makes its home here includes whitetail deer, wild turkey, bobcat, alligators in the prairie, gopher tortoises in the sandhills

Habitat change

PXL_20240115_211445957.MP




Sadly for me, I didn’t see any wildlife on my hike.  I would love to have seen a bobcat or gopher tortoise but I did see some interesting fungi.  
This one looks frozen, like ice,  but it feels rubbery.

20240116_143312



Purple?  Really?

20240116_143438



Fungi like moisture and these seem to be able to collect it for themselves.

20240116_143628



These shelf mushrooms that look like ruffles to me.


20240116_145941




I was very glad that the campground was sandy as it rained a great deal during my two days but no puddles stayed long.

20240116_114052



During one break in the rain, I heard the unmistakable sound of the Sandhill Crane and hurried to find them.   Use this link to take a listen.

They are over 3 feet tall and have wonderful red crowns.  They are one of the oldest species on Earth with fossils dating back 2 million years.  Three subspecies of Sandhill migrate from Northern breeding grounds to  Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico and Mexico.   Three other subspecies are resident in Florida, Mississippi and Cuba.   Thus, this is the Florida Sandhill Crane.


20240116_135654


They were just wandering around the campground.  It was great fun.


20240116_140013


I was very lucky that Ross Prairie was located less than 25 miles from Silver Springs and the day my reservation started there , I was able to stop on the western edge of Ocala to have Winnona’s oil change and lube done.  Getting regular maintenance on Winnona and getting her washed and waxed are major problems for me to locate.   David always did the former and the two of us the latter.  Life on the road is much harder and less fun without him.   I made it to Silver Springs but not without a totally unexplained mishap.  That’s up next.

24 comments:

  1. I can't imagine you not doing the blog, it certainly would take longer for you to text us all... ;)
    That said, lol, for whatever it's worth you really are appreciated and it's not a big deal for me to click the photos and then simply hit the back button to continue reading.
    I couldn't get the link to work for the sound of the cranes, but could be my reception. Obviously I'm familiar with them but always love hearing them.
    I did love that you had a pull through site there, I was thinking about how much convenience that provided during a short stay as soon as I seen that photo. Pretty spacious too. Pretty convenient for a fill in spot, despite not being level...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shayne for your willingness to be inconvenienced to read my blog. I tried the Sandhill Crane link and had the same trouble you did on my phone but like the pictures it worked fine on my laptop. I hope others will way in about their experience.

      Delete
  2. Even as long as five years ago we had trouble getting our reservations to meld and had to backtrack from one park to another instead of going in a nice circular route between parks. Such a pain. One thing we did notice this year, however, it seems things are slowing down a bit, at least in the parts where we were. The base overflow was almost empty which we have never seen and Catalina wasn't overbooked either. I hope this is an indication of more slowing throughout the country as people are moving away from so much time out rving. Still, all those van lifer's are still out there, but we didn't seem very many anywhere. Maybe they are fair weather campers. Love the sandhills, and yes, the sand was perfect. Looking forward to your Silver Springs stories. You know I love that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really notice all of this until after David died which was right before covid hit. But it seems to have gotten worse and worse. This year Florida has changed their rules so I will be anxious to see if that helps me a lot with February and March.

      Delete
  3. Don't you DARE throw in the blog towel! You're giving me a panic attack just thinking about not reading and seeing great pictures of nature that I enjoy so much. How else can I maintain my sanity if you give up? Bet you didn't know you're my therapist? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Paul. I'm so glad you like it. I just wish I could figure out how to fix this phone pictures thing. I fear others are not as devoted as you. You are definitely a great friend.

      Delete
  4. I was amazed at the sandhills landing in a wooded area as I think of them as needing a lot of space around them. Well, nice to be surprised sometimes. I had no clue there were east coast species!!! Thanks for what you do, and I hope you don't quit blogging.
    The phone problem doesn't affect me as I think that tiny thing is NOT a good place to appreciate photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith. I totally agree that a phone does not show the pictures as well or the formatting of the blog. I'm so happy to have you as a reader and appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  5. I remember the first time we saw Sandhill Cranes in Florida. We had stopped for fuel and there were 2 of them right by the pumps! Cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine Sandhill Cranes at a gas pump. That would crack me up too. What in the world could they have wanted? Thanks for sharing that story.

      Delete
  6. Reservations are like summer camp for kids...have to do that 6+ months in advance for the popular ones. Covid certainly did change a lot for the workforce. Neat fungi pictures. I also enjoyed those cranes. I'm glad you found this park to pass through on your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comparison with summer camp. Hard to know what you are going to be doing 6 months or a year in advance. Covid definitely changed RVing for the worse.

      Delete
  7. Sherry, it's amazing that you have been able to keep traveling without Mr. Fix-It. I admire your determination to continue to do what you love. Congratulations! Stay strong! - Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing isn't the world Pam. Hard hard hard is the word. Thank you for your kind words. Wait until you see the next post.

      Delete
  8. Don't think I've ever seen a sand hill crane. Beautiful bird and their calls are pretty interesting! I still remember when David had just purchased Winona and had her parked out by the farm. He was so excited to show her off and told me everything he was working on to get her ready for your travels. I'm sure he loved working on her more than just about anything else he ever worked on! He could fix just about anything when he put his mind to it. I have a shirt that says "I Fix Things and I Know Stuff" Every time I wear it I think of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did love Winnona and I was so lucky to have him to take care of her. That's one of the ways I really miss him. I don't have a clue. Wish I could have gotten him that shirt. He definitely could fix pretty much anything and did. But then so do you. Thanks so much for your comment Roger.

      Delete
  9. Small price to pay to get to see your pictures and keep track of your adventures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting info on cranes. So busy lately, not much time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the things keeping you busy are ones you like and not just obligations Lynne. Thanks for taking the time to let me know you are reading.

      Delete
  11. I hope the new system that Florida has in place will help you get the reservations you want! Although I miss our RV I don't miss the reservation ordeal. We were pretty lucky in almost always getting the reservations we wanted, but it was a lot of work. We stayed at Ross Prairie one year for a couple of nights and enjoyed the trails. Sandhill Cranes are always wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great spot for a fill-in couple of days. Nice to have that sand when it's raining. I love the cranes, we missed them here this year :-( I can't imagine reading any blog on my phone would be enjoyable. Your pics are great as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only time all these years coming to Florida that I saw a Sandhill crane was at Rodman State park. And what a sound they make!!! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. All these reservation horror stories tell me I won't ever get back to FL. No way I can plan life that far ahead. Hope you'll continue to go and share. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.