Monday, February 5, 2024

On the Myakka River and Into the Wilderness

January 5-10, 2024                                           Most Recent Posts:
Myakka River State Park                              Myakka Bird Walk and Outpost
Sarasota, Florida                                            Pictures are Back Sort Of!



20240110_123625I spent several days on the river though not as many as I would have liked due to the cold temperatures, the wind and the rain.  But the days I was out were gorgeous.

This is my favorite of the launch spots in the park, just before the bridge over the river.  From here I can paddle to the upper lake which I did not do this year or down the river and possibly as far as Lower Myakka Lake which contains Deep Hole an alligator gathering spot. 

I can park the car in this launch turn out off the road and pull the kayak down into the water.   The car is the gray stripe on the bottom left of the picture.  It just stays right there while I pull the kayak down to where that other blue boat is and then into the river.




20240110_123948


I’ve combined pictures of my days on the water rather than do a separate post for each one.  So this post is long on pictures.


Some days were bright and cloudy as I launched.









Some were fewer clouds and bluer skies.

IMG_0486



The thing about being on the river is not only the solitude and the water itself, but the number of birds and of course gators I see.




The Belted Kingfisher photo could have been much better had it not been so bright and cloudy in the background.











I’ve heard people call the White Ibis the Florida Chicken.  Not sure why.  I don’t think it clucks.  Though it does normally travel in flocks and it’s quite something to see dozens of Ibis flying down the river toward you before they pick a tree or adjacent trees to land in.  Or perhaps it is called that because the Ibis is pretty ubiquitous in Florida.



Most of these pictures were taken on the two days I took my canon with me rather than the days where I only had my phone.  I saw gators on all my days on the water but on the second of these two days I saw more gators than I have ever seen on one river before.  On that day, I paddled into the Wilderness.


IMG_0495



I know I’ve said this before but aren’t those Ibis just a little bit nervous?  He’s coming their way.   I didn’t stick around to see what was going to happen.

IMG_0496



Snowy Egrets have black legs and “golden slippers”.

IMG_0501




IMG_0503


I’ve read that Roseate Spoonbills start out white and get more color as they get older from the foods they eat.




I see birds take flight like this Great Blue Heron but I don’t often get a decent picture.

 




I mentioned the Limpkin and his call in my last post.  Here’s a link so you can hear it.

IMG_0523





IMG_0533



IMG_0534




IMG_0536



Here is a different Tri-Colored Heron in his “stand up” pose.



Gators  often seem so stealthy to me.




There were many more than these 4 on the bank but my lens isn’t wide angled enough.  I’ve always thought of alligators as solos.




I was really hoping this guy did not decide to launch himself off of his high perch.  Not that he would be interested in me but he’d make a huge splash and potentially get me all wet not to mention the waves.




Do you think he might have a lisp with those teeth?




I arrived at the bridge when I noticed the sign….


IMG_0584



IMG_0583It’s been a few years since I’ve been at Myakka River State Park and I’d forgotten that a good part of the river is wilderness and requires a permit.  It’s true that it is unlikely anyone would have asked me for mine but I trust that there is a reason I should have one so at this point on this day, I turned around and went back.

Too late to get a permit and return today but I did get one for my next paddle.


Green Heron



He’s in the process of disappearing beneath the water.






IMG_0635



I took this rather shaky video of a Roseate Feeding.   Use this link to see it.



Just want to remember how glad I am I’m in Florida in January.

IMG_0656




You really have to keep your eyes on both banks to make sure you don’t get too close.  I almost didn’t see this guy.




IMG_0709



Gators were really everywhere especially on the day I paddled into the Wilderness.

IMG_0712




Common Moorhen

IMG_0719




As I moved into the wilderness, the river got narrower and the gators got more numerous.


IMG_0780





IMG_0744




IMG_0750




IMG_0760




Black Crowned Night Heron

IMG_0766



This looks like the very best sunning spot to me.

IMG_0770



He seems to be alert and smiling but I was far enough away as you can see in the above shot that he was worried.

IMG_0769



As the river narrowed even more, I had experienced enough gators jumping into the water from both sides as I went past, sometimes one right after the other.    I know I worried them.   They are not so used to folks in boats here as fewer people paddle this far from the park.

I’d been out over 2 hours and this seemed like the spot to turn around.

IMG_0783



On my way back, I saw a number of fishermen.






Tri-colored Heron looking for lunch



Both my days on the water were wonderful and I only wish there could have been more.   Next time!

IMG_0831

21 comments:

  1. The roseate is my favorite! Gotta take a real hard pass on the gators! Sherry our friendship is going to rely on the shore and spending time together on land….far away from the G- Dudes! That’s what makes you a true Badass and me….your new scaredy-ass friend! 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You worry too much about Gators. They are not interested in you. I hardly think paddling down rivers that also have Gators makes me a bad ass. 😏
      Lots of people do it.

      Delete
  2. That Limpkin call sounds just like me when I take my achy knees out of bed in the morning. :cO
    Good thing those gators don't like the taste of Kayak plastic. Those teeth are nothing to laugh about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos.!! I’m certainly enjoying this part of your trip.. Let’s hope you get some warmer weather .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jacque. I'm glad you are enjoying Myakka. The weather in Florida has been colder in December and January than I was hoping for.
    But there are wonderful days thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely quite a few gators, thanks for the great pics. I must finally admit, the tremendous bird photos that you consistently take has made me much more of a bird watcher and appreciative of their beauty. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that my blog has had such a wonderful effect on your life. Bravo to you.

      Delete
  6. Well, you know how much I love to kayak and you know how much I love kayaking in Florida's springs and rivers. And I grew up in Florida. But I still don't like paddling close to gators on narrow rivers. Yes, I know they're really not interested in me, but I don't trust anything that has teeth that big, a brain the size of a walnut, and acts purely on instinct. The Myakka has way too many BIG gators for me, so I'm glad you paddle it for me! Great photos of your trip! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was less comfortable as the river narrowed for just the reasons you listed. True but so funny! Thanks for the laugh. Since there were SO many gators I included more pictures than usual.

      Delete
  7. I haven't been afraid of kayaking with gators much, but your fantastic photos reminded me that it still can be a bit disconcerting when they leap off the banks into the water. The only time I really felt uncomfortable was when we were kayaking in the Okeefenokee and got a bit too close for comfort to a big log of a gator that must have been 15 feet long. Your photos this time around have made me remember why I should get out the good camera more often. My phone is a good one and has done a good job on this trip, but still there is nothing like a "real" photo up close to see the difference. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my phone camera were better than it is since my "real" camera is bulky and heavy but it definitely takes better pictures. Yes the Okeefenokee was the same thing......narrow and lots of gators.

      Delete
  8. Always love your pictures from the Myakka. Gators are such interesting and scary creatures. Roseate spoonbills are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too scary at a distance but close up, yes. Hope you enjoyed the roseate video.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures. I love the one of the heron in flight. So many gators. That means to me that the ecosystem there is healthy and they are thriving! Always love the Roseates. Glad you are able to enjoy these wonderful paddles. 75 degrees. A dream in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 75 degrees was wonderful and rare which is why I took its picture. Florida is doing a nice job for the most part of protecting its springs and rivers. Not so sure about the Everglades.

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful pictures. A friend is an amateur wildlife photographer and I keep thinking how she *must* get to Florida whenever I see your pictures. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos Pam. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  11. Love the bird and gator pictures... I don't know whether I'd trust that many gators to ignore me. Also enjoyed listening to the limpkin. Yo're pretty adventuresome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roger. I'm glad you enjoyed the Limpkin. I did cut my trip down the Myakka River short of getting to the Lower Lake because there were too many gators on both sides of the river and my presence seemed to frighten them to jump into the water.

      Delete
  12. Seems any day you can paddle is a new adventure. So many gators! ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.