Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Bringing in the New Year–January 2024

January 1-2, 2024                                                 Most Recent Posts:
Myakka River State Park                                      Days at Alafia River State Park
Sarasota, Florida                                                     Flying for the Holidays



It has been over 2 weeks since my last post and I have been working on one about my two weeks at Myakka River State Park but it isn’t coming together as one post so I’m giving up and am going to post a series of posts one right after the other.  Let me know what you think of this strategy as opposed to one longer post.



ABOUT THE CAMPGROUNDS

New Years Day I packed up and drove just over an hour south to spend two weeks in Site 65 in the Palmetto Ridge Campground at Myakka River State Park.  Myakka has 3 campgrounds.  Big Flats is the oldest, has 24 nicely shaded campsites and is closest to the Outpost restaurant and gift shop, the upper lake, boat launch, tour boats and trams.  It is also closest to the bird walk out into the lake.


PXL_20240102_193617006.MPOld Prairie Campground is a single loop with 20 campsites also nicely shaded. It is located across the park road from the larger Palmetto Ridge campground. Both Big Flats and Palmetto Ridge are closer to the campground pavilion and ranger station than Big Flats. But much further from the Outpost etc.

Previously David and I had stayed in Big Flats but never in Old Prairie.  Old Prairie?? Why is it called that when it is a heavily wooded campground??

Since I’ve been on my own, I’ve stayed exclusively in Palmetto Ridge which is the largest and most recently developed campground.  It’s very open though there is foliage between sites.  It’s more easily navigated by big rigs.  David could thread Winnona through a needle so the site really didn’t matter but Palmetto has pull throughs and Full Hook Ups so it’s my choice.  The picture is of my site this year.





20240101_162413

When I went to hook up the water it was a big surprise to find that none of the campgrounds have  drinkable water.  The ranger station was giving out gallons of water and had cases and cases of them that you could walk in and take away.   I was not happy to find out that they had no recycling for those gallon jugs which they must toss into the landfill by the hundreds every day and this has been going on since MAY with no definite end in sight.





David and I each had a cell phone with a different carrier since cell phone coverage was quite spotty and variable around the country.  At that time our carriers were Sprint and Verizon.  When he died, I kept both phones although I have been pleasantly surprised that T-Mobile did not raise the very reasonable rate Sprint charged for unlimited data while Verizon has increased their cost to the point where I would really like to give them the boot.  The problem is they have the best coverage in MOST places though not all. 

But with T mobile on the left and Verizon on the right you can see who wins here.  Thankfully, at least someone does.   I can remember clearly many years where I had to leave various RV parks to go to somewhere I could get a stronger signal in order to play the Florida State Parks lottery at 8am in the morning.


20240101_164100PXL_20240101_214149496.MP




What a nice welcome the lovely sunset skies my first night visible right out my front window were.


PXL_20240101_225824293.MP




FAVORITE PARK PROGRAM


PXL_20240101_221420624.MP

On my walk around the campground and through Old Prairie the night I arrived,  I saw signs giving me a plan for the next morning.  I’m not a coffee drinker but they always have hot water for tea so if I bring some water of my own to cool it down, I’ll be set for as many cups of morning hot water as I want.  Plus, they have some goodies as well.  I like these little social hours in order to meet the other folks who are camping here at this moment in time.  Unlike private campgrounds, state parks don’t always have these sorts of programs.





The social hour is held in the Pavilion built by the CCC and a nice short walk from my site.


20240102_120031



The ranger or volunteers, of which there seemed to be more in number than campers, had a nice fire going.  Unfortunately there was no angle to take a picture that did not have problems due to the very bright lights on the ceiling of this cute log cabin.

20240102_091403



WALK ALONG THE RIVER

There are several trails along the Myakka River.  In order to walk off some of those brownies, donuts etc.,  I walked down the park road to the trail beyond the kayak launch and bridge.  Not sure why I didn’t walk the one which goes right off behind the Pavilion but I did that one on the following day. 


This is pretty much the typical flora – palm trees…

20240102_105108


dense Palmettos …..

20240102_105244


and Live Oaks often draped in Spanish Moss.


20240102_105429



I did say this was a walk along the river.

20240102_110247




But the trail is not RIGHT along the river.  There are  little side 30 steps trails out for the views.  This is the main trail, not one of those.

20240102_110502



If it’s warm enough, you’ll see many alligators sunning on the banks.  I guess this guy wants both, the cool water and the warm sun.

20240102_111246



20240102_111300



I had not stopped back at Winnona to pick up my canon so these pictures are taken with my phone.  I don’t have as much luck with my phone cameras as many folks do.  I think it’s because an iPhone isn’t in my budget.  But I was thrilled to see this Roseate Spoonbill feeding along the opposite shore.

20240102_112434




It’s really a beautiful river and I’m impatient for the temperatures to warm up enough and the winds to die down enough that I’m willing to go out on the water.

20240102_113505



HOW COLD IS IT?

To prove the point, here are the inside and outside temperatures on Wednesday morning at a time I would be getting ready to take the kayak out on the water.

Why is it so cold inside you may ask.  I do have a furnace but it is propane and noisy.  Well truth be told, not that noisy but I am a very difficult sleeper and the noise keeps me awake.   I also have two small space heaters which are quiet but I hesitate to run them over night.   I do like to sleep in a cool room and 49 is fine as long as I have my electric blanket.   I can get up and turn on the heaters and then hang out reading under the blanket until it warms up inside.   That cup of hot water helps too.


PXL_20240103_121638864.MP


This has been a colder winter than I was really hoping for but nothing like the rest of the country including other places like Virginia or Texas or Arizona that I might be.   So I’m grateful to be here.  

27 comments:

  1. Palm trees! I love palm trees. One would look good on my front lawn. Next time you're walking on the palm covered trail, if you see one looking a little lost please send it my way. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could send you one Paul. Aren't you in the Palm Tree state?? What browser did you use to see the pics?

      Delete
    2. The Palmetto State of South Carolina is where we hang our hats now. As for the pictures, I just click on the box and they pop right up. I use Chrome.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the read, no pics for me. It is -8 degrees here. Kinda getting used to it. Reminds me of the early 90s weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you using chrome Tom? Use another browser. -8 is not doable for me.

      Delete
  3. Tried reading on my android phone which isn't Chrome. Still no photos. I will try on the computer tomorrow. We are heading for Joshua Tree today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joshua Tree sounds great. Another place on my list. I'm not sure what to do now if your phone isn't showing them and you know the browser isn't chrome. My android uses chrome. do you know what yours uses.

      Delete
  4. No pictures on Safari...but as I have been to Myakka many many times, I can certainly visualize through your excellent descriptions of what you were seeing! Hope that bug straightens itself out about the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems it only works right in Firefox. I'm seriously contemplating getting away from Microsoft and using Firefox as my default browser

      Delete
  5. Loved the initial sunset pic! I use Chrome, and the photos didn't load, but I could click on them and they'd pop up in another window. I like the length of this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane for being willing to go to the trouble of clicking on the picture so you could see them. I don't think the blog is much without the pictures so if they can't fix this I will probably just throw in the towel.

      Delete
  6. I had the same issue as Diane. I'm viewing on my Android phone with Chrome. The link to the pictures is there, so if I click on it they come up fine. Lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie for looking at the pictures and letting me know. I hate that it is so much trouble to view them.

      Delete
  7. At 5:38 pm its the same for me as Diane and owensontheroad up above. You can either click them to see them or hold your finger on them to save them or see other options.
    I also really liked the night photo. The length does seem great. Would rather that and read your update sooner, we miss ya... ;)
    Also really loved the cabin and the pavilion...
    One last thought, switching from dealing straight with Verizon to using straighttalk (Walmart's package deal with Verizon) cut our unlimited bill down to $45. Same service, just cheaper. Group deals are even lower, 2 phones for $75, 3 for $90 or 4 for $100.
    Regarding cameras, our full frame Sony A7c camera let's in the most light, but honestly the Android cameras blow away the iPhone. (IPhone has great software, but android has better hardware available in the phone department.) They just this past year got above a 12mp, whereas Samsung is over 200mp now and even a 3 year old s21 ultra has 108mp. Lot's of definition, but again, nothing helps in lower light like a full frame lense like pur A7c...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the pictures trouble Shayne. Thanks for all the camera information. I Worry about switching from direct Verizon since I am sometimes in very low signal areas and I'm pretty sure their other carriers are second tier to their direct customers in those situations. But I sure would like to lower my bill.

      Delete
    2. Can never guarantee same service. In fact they tell you it's not. However, in my experience I've always had as good or usually better reception when sitting next to "direct" Verizon consumersfor whatever reason. It actually made me wonder did we actually get priority since walmart is probably their biggest consumer. As you know, good service was crucial for us, especially being in the U.P. for summers. (I switched to them probably 4 years ago.) Have a wonderful day!!

      Delete
  8. I use Safari as my browser and your photos are not in the blog...but if I click on the question mark they appear. :-) I know you're anxious to get out on the water—I trust that the temps have warmed up enough that you were able to. We just today had warm enough temperatures in Largo to enjoy a walk on the beach without fleece jackets and windbreakers. But as you said, it's way better in Florida than it is in most of the country this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents lived in Largo from 1980 until 2013. At that time it was such a busy city. Thank you for taking rhe trouble to look at the pictures. What a pain.

      Delete
  9. The sky picture has lovely colors. The trails look inviting given the palmettos and the live oaks and the river. I like the stone fireplace in the cabin. The morning coffee hour would be a nice touch. I had to click on each picture to see it. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam for going to so much trouble to see the pictures. Love you too.

      Delete
  10. Well, the photos are clickable so that's good. I'm using Firefox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well bummer Judith I thought Firefox was showing them. It was for me but maybe I'm special to firefox. I'm definitely not special to Google. Thanks for taking the trouble.

      Delete
  11. I was able to open the photos quickly by clicking the links but they don't just show up within the blog. Pretty place! Pretty river! Glad you have the electric blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the pictures weren't too much trouble this way. No I don't know that folks will continue to be willing to go to the trouble. The electric blanket is absolutely wonderful. I can even use it with solar power.

      Delete
  12. Hi Sherry! So nice to meet you at Myakka. Enjoyed our morning beverage and sweets, along with a lovely conversation. I will be following your adventures as we go forward in 2024 to exciting new people and places. Take care and happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like your space is nice and big? Such a pretty park with plenty to keep you busy. Love the leaning palm, trying to get a better look at what's under the water :-) That sunset is as pretty as any we get here in Arizona! We rarely didn't have coverage anywhere except Vermont with our ATT cell phones, although I know a lot of people don't like them. Service has been fine as well - although not always quick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great site with plenty of room. Such a pretty park and looks like nice people to share your time with! We've always had ATT with fine results except in Vermont. Your post loaded fine as always on our home internet. The gnarly root tree and the leaning palm added a whimsical element to your wanderings :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.