Thursday, July 6, 2023

Inspired by Sally Mann: Days in Black and White

July 1-July 5, 2023                                                        Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground    Dodging the Rain in the Northeast Kingdom
Site 20                                                              Ten Days, Lots of Rain
St. Johnsbury Vermont


Note:  This post suffers badly from being read on a phone.  Its pictures need size or the detail is lost.


When I finished the 478 page autobiography of Sally Mann,   Hold Still:A Memoir with Photographs,  I was in awe of both her writing and her photography.  For her photography,  she uses antique black and white film cameras and values the imperfections inherent in these older time consuming methods.  For her writing she did copious research as is evident and paired it with wonderful photographs.


While mine is not a purist technique, I thought it would be interesting to shoot a few black and white photos on some of the first 5 days of July.  And to display them with nothing but place titles.   This is the result.  The “real” color post on my adventures with water in these days will come in the next post.

This is an homage to Sally Mann whom I find fascinating and immensely talented.



Site 21 Views


IMG_8255



IMG_8256





IMG_8258



IMG_8259



IMG_8261



IMG_8262



IMG_8263




IMG_8264




IMG_8266




Molly’s Pond


IMG_8331


IMG_8332


IMG_8333


IMG_8334


IMG_8335


IMG_8339




IMG_8344



IMG_8348



IMG_8349


IMG_8356


IMG_8378


IMG_8379




IMG_8380




IMG_8389



IMG_8390




Falling Waters



IMG_8424




IMG_8425




IMG_8466




IMG_8496




IMG_8497




PXL_20230706_225603736

The inspiration for this post, Sally Mann’s Hold Still: A Memoir with Photographs, is an interplay of her words and photographs. 

Her subjects are family and location, particularly her farm in Rockbridge County  near Lexington Virginia and the landscapes of the American South.  

She traces her personal characteristics back through her family tree and tries to understand her parents and grandparents and their affect on her, her life and work.   It’s a great personal history and a fascinating read.




I hope you’ll tell me what you think about this unusual post and its photographs.

18 comments:

  1. Black and white photos tug at my heartstrings. I learned photography in college, and b&w was my passion at the time. My favorite photographer is/was Ansel Adam's. Good job Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks Laurie. There is definitely something about black and white photos. Adams is great.

      Delete
  2. Boy the water looks like glass, beautiful...
    Love the waterfall too, thanks Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things definitely look different in black and white. Hope you two get some good news soon.

      Delete
  3. Gary was a black and white fanatic; he liked to shoot 4 x 5 plates back in the 80's. We put several of Adams' best up on our walls - a favorite. I guess I am more of a magpie; I dote on the shadings of colors. Your shots took me back to my early days of the 50's and 60's when b/w was all I could afford! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black and white makes me feel like I've gone back in time. It's hard to date a black and white photo. The Falling Waters pictures are my favorite, especially the ones with the dappled sunlight. Very interesting post. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, I really wasn't sure what folks might feel. She was quite inspiring. The ones of the campsite seemed haunting once I saw them..

      Delete
  5. How fun that you were inspired to shoot in black and white! We're played around with B & W photography, too, and created a wall of photos of images of the Florida panhandle. The light on the rocks and water really shows up in your B & W photos, much more than if you were shooting in color. What a great idea to give yourself this exercise and share your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet your wall of panhandle photos is wonderful. I really loved the Mann autobiography. What a life she has lived.

      Delete
  6. I prefer your normal narrative along with your photos... the narrative brings the photos alive and invites me to want to to have the same experience.... the black and white photos without narrative are interesting but would not keep me coming back for more... Maybe a mixture....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really appreciate your comment here Roger. I have thought about putting commentary with the black and white but decided not to in the spirit of Sally Mann. I doubt I'll do another all black and white post and I'll be back to my normal color commentary with the next one.

      Delete
  7. How fun! Love the pics inside Winonna and the kids stacking the cairns. I agree the water shots are very special. They all feel like story-telling. Now I'm inspired to do some B&W pics too :-))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping they would tell a story on their own without any commentary. That's one of the reasons I put so many of the kids doing the Cairns because it did seem to tell that story. Thanks for this comment Jodee.

      Delete
  8. As always you take intriguing photos Glad you are having such a good time Jacque Campbell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you Jacque what are you up to? And thanks for signing your comment so I know who you were. Google makes me so irritated with their anonymous.

      Delete
  9. It's different. An art form. I am so in love with light and color I'd make a lousy B&W artist.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.