Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Writing in the Shadow of a Flood

July 1-4, 2023                                                           Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground   Inspired by Sally Mann: Days in Black & White
St. Johnsbury, Vermont        Dodging the Rain in the Northeast Kingdom 



PXL_20230710_103955580

As I type this there is flooding all over the state of Vermont.  And some places in the western southern area have been hit pretty hard as has New York.  The ground is just too saturated with all the rain we have had to take in several more days of rain which is happening.   Apparently we get a one day break on Wednesday before it starts up again.  And it has stopped for today so I need to get this posted and get outside.

Mary and Gary have owned Moose River Campground for 26 years and have been through floods multiple times.  Gary says, “If it happens, it won’t be until tomorrow.  We’ll let you know when to start packing up”.  Mary says “No one is going to have to move”.   They have the experience so I’m trusting them.   At this point, the river will have to come up about 2 more feet to get to me and the rain has stopped for today and tomorrow.   This river goes down only slightly less quickly than it goes up so by the time the rain starts again on Thursday (SIGH) I should be able to see the rocks on the bottom again.

Here’s a video of the river from yesterday morning.   It is rushing down to get to New York I guess.   It’s slightly higher and slightly faster today.

While I’m waiting out  the rain, I’ve busied myself writing this blog about the first days of July.


PXL_20230701_183230088 As those of you who follow me know, all of my posts since I arrived in Vermont mention rain.  It has rained and rained and that’s why the ground is saturated and flooding could happen.  But I have done some things other than stay inside and read.

You can play Bingo in the rain and we did that here at the park under the pavilion roof as part of the 4th of July week-end.

Loretta was our substitute caller since Carmen, the regular caller for years, had just had cataract surgery.  Loretta did a great job calling the 9 games we played.


We all had a fun time especially those who won of course.  I love bingo and especially this kind where you can play 3 cards in one game and it costs a dollar each time.  So the very most you could lose is $9 and if you win the pot, you get half and the Animal Shelter gets the other half.  AND if you win one of the special games you get the money and a prize like my neighbor Karen did here.


PXL_20230701_183219866PXL_20230701_183201699











On a  morning when rain was predicted for 11am, I took the kayak out early to Molly’s Falls Pond and had a wonderful time.   If you read my last post, you will recognize some of these photos as color versions of ones in that blog.




The only campsites are paddle in.  I think there are 4 of them along the shore far apart from each other.

IMG_8304


Things I saw along the shore. . . .



I have to say, Vermont has some great rocks.  What do you see in this one? 






IMG_8328


There are three streams of varying sizes flowing into Molly’s Falls Pond.  I know this because I could heard them before I saw them.   Not sure which one is THE falls.   They sound beautiful.  If you like to see the moving water and hear it use this link to a 17 second video.


IMG_8330



Some of you will recognize these shore side cairn builders.



Not sure this will qualify as Falls #2 but the sound is beautiful.


IMG_8340



Falls #3.  Wonder what they all look like today after several more days of rain.  I might go back if it will stop raining.  But here is what it looked and sounded like on the day I was there.  Warning.  The video gets a little shaky toward the end of its 34 seconds.  I was trying to pan up for more cascades.



IMG_8361


This pond is one of my favorites for all the above reasons but the biggest reason is the loons.

I was paddling around the edge of the pond and watching the shoreline as you can see from the pictures.  I heard a loon call and looked away to see where the sound was coming from and right in front of me, this is what I saw.



Of course I hung around taking scads of pictures.  Yes the brown furry thing is a baby loon. 



Calling again.  Why didn’t I set the camera on video at this point?






Turned out there were two baby loons.





I finally thought to turn on my video and took this 1 minute of them swimming around but of course there was no more calling.   To watch it, this is the link.





I particularly like this photograph of an island in the lake both in black and white and what is barely color in the stormy skies.


IMG_8391



PXL_20230703_123528928



The holiday week-end free ice cream delivery was in business when I returned.


PXL_20230703_221127223



PXL_20230703_221237656





During the rains, I busied myself with the usual reading and puzzles and this attempt to finally fix the problem of my front window curtains.  They have become detached from their sliders and I’ve asked any number of people how to fix this but they do not come off the ends of the rod without taking the rod off it seems.  Anyway it is a complicated mess. 

When my friend Jody was here (see last post) he took a look and recommended that I try to glue the little sliders back on to the tape at the top of the curtains.  So I got some tiny bottles of Flex Super Glue and some clamps.



IMG_8399



I clamped a total of 12 over two days.  As of 5 days later, 4 need to be redone.  We’ll see what the long term result is.   Other ideas gratefully accepted.



PXL_20230710_105643375I was also notified at about 8:30 pm ,by a strong alarm, that my propane/carbon monoxide detector wants replacing.  The alarm can be deactivated for a few days but it is LOUD.

Wonderful David who replaced it the last time put the date he installed it on the detector so when I removed it to see if it was a matter of a battery, I read 1/9/18 which is more than 5 years ago and 1 day after his birthday.   It is hardwired in and I’ve ordered a replacement which should be here today.  Guess I’ll be watching U Tube how to replacement videos during the next rain.   Advice welcome.


I’ll save a fantastic hike I took in Franconia Notch one morning when the rain held off until the afternoon and another morning on the water for my next post.  By the time I write that I will either have had to evacuate or not.

22 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you these last few days with all the rain. Glad you're ok so far. Evacuation is no fun! Nice to be surrounded by such greenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least this go around it doesn't look like there will be any evacuation but then the rain returns on Thursday so who knows

      Delete
  2. That river looks high enough to sail a cruise ship on! :cD

    Fantastic pics of the loons! Such a beautiful bird, and to see the two babies! Wow! Nature is just amazing with all its wonders to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you would blog about that cruise ship you were just on Paul. You must have taken some great pictures.

      Delete
  3. Molly's Falls where you were kayaking looks shallow- with all of the rain you've had, I guess it isn't. Oh my! The loon and the babies! Beautiful! As always, love all of the water. You ARE close to Moose river!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is shallow around the edge Pam. I pretty much hunt out ponds with loons since I love them so much.

      Delete
  4. We have had 4 Sunny days since mid June. Just overcast with sprinkles, some random hard rain. To CO detector change is easy. Just connect one wire at a time or put a glove over other wire when you cut them. You could pull fuse and not worry. Mine had to be changed twice in our old 95. Easy job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I knew who this comment was from. I know nothing about electricity so I hope I don't electrocute myself swapping these out.

      Delete
  5. A couple of friends in Vermont right now. Jeanne and Alan, who have a house on high ground, and you, who can hopefully move to high ground if needed. Jeanne and Alan are at the beach planning to come home but discovered that many of the roads leading to their place near Dorset are flooded and closed. Hopefully you haven't had to evacuate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No evacuation yet and tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day and I would love to go either hiking or kayaking but unfortunately as you say there are many many roads closed and so I'm not sure that's going to be possible.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you are OK so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that was my comment. I didn't sign in first.
    duh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thinking of me Judith. As of today, the river has gone down luckily.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that river looked so very close to the RVs. Glad you didn't have to evacuate and had some wise campground hosts to give advice. It's been sooo hot around here — low 90s most days and high humidity. Glad you're getting out on the water and into such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching your weather Diane and feeling very sorry for all of you with those day after day after day of low and mid-90s temperatures. I am very thankful to be here even with all the rain.

      Delete
  9. Wish there was a pipeline to send some of that water here to texas.... triple digits every day and no rain in the foreseeable future. Why are people moving here? It's hottter than hell... Just seeing your pictures makes me jealous! So cool to be so close to the loon and the furry chicks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Roger. I know the people in Southwestern Vermont would be thrilled to send you a lot of rain if they only could. Seems like you guys ought to find a Summer Spot and leave Texas for that season at least. They are having low and mid-90s in Charlottesville and that seems just so unusual and impossible for July there. I can't even imagine triple digits or how you guys can ever do anything. You can't leave the air conditioning and heaven forbid the grid goes down lots of people are in big trouble.

      Delete
  10. I was thinking about you when I saw the photos of people kayaking down the Main Street in Montpelier!! That is a crazy amount of rain you're having but I'm glad it's not flooding where you are. Sounds like you're finding some things to keep you busy but I'm sure you are ready for some decent weather. Loons and baby loons!!! How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That family of loons makes a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't Laurel and Eric have flooding at that park one year? As much as I love the rain I'm afraid I'd be complaining by now as well. Really hard to decide if I like the color or B&W pics - both are so lovely. Love, love the pretty Loons and the tumbling falls. The big rock looks like a doggie head facing the other way with a bump on his head :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seeing the loons and glad you got to paddle between the rains. Us solos have to learn a lot about fixing RVs. 12v is pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sherry, on the curtains, if all else fails and you can't get them off to do it right, safety pins through the material to a light material behind it will work. You can do some on top, some under the rod or get a big one to go over it. Just use a piece of material behind it bigger than the rod to go through. (Tgin plastic, cardboard possibly, or even another piece of material.) If you're not sure what I mean just call or text me tonight and I'll explain better...
    With the detector, dust ruins them, so it doesn't take long to need replacing. Sometimes very often depending on the location.
    Thanks SO much for taking us with you when we can't be there ourselves...love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.