Thursday, July 20, 2023

Lookin’ for Loons in All the Right Places

July 6-14, 2023                                                    Most Recent                         
Moose River Campground                 A Stunning Hike in Franconia Notch
St Johnsbury, Vermont                       Writing in the Shadow of a Flood


Note:  There are several videos in this post and they are all very short.  Let me know if it is too many. :-)


JOE’S POND

On Friday no rain was predicted so I ventured out 34 miles south to kayak in Lower Symes Pond.  I was very low on gas in Ruby and it was 34 miles away but I was sure I could go there and back with no problem

Well there were problems.  I followed google maps but forgot to bring my Quiet Waters book which was where I’d found this pond.  Google maps sent me down a very rocky road to a private no trespassing community with no indication of where the boat dock really was.  Without unlimited gas to drive around looking, I was forced to abandon Symes and head for a gas station. 

I’ve said before that I am in the back of beyond here in the Northeast Kingdom and there was nothing resembling a gas station until I was almost back to St Johnsbury where I stopped at an Irving Station to use my discount card.  Nope – their pump wouldn’t recognize it and after 4 trips back and forth to the store counter doing all the things they told me to do, I gave up and filled up at $3.54 instead of $3.44.  Thank goodness I wasn’t filling up Winnona.


PXL_20230707_134002684

But it was a no rain day and I was determined to go kayaking.  So I went to the closest pond – Joe’s Pond which is actually two ponds connected by a narrow water strip and both are lined with vacation homes.  Not my usual choice for kayaking and thus I’d never been there before but I was on the water and there were loons.   By the time I got there it was nearly afternoon and the power boats and water skiers were out.  Though this was not a week-end day, it is summer.


Here are a few of the MANY cottages/homes/camps lining this pair of connected ponds.

I took a picture of this house only because of its name IWANNAPEEPEE – really?

PXL_20230707_133214765



This one had a good name too Paws-Relax but also demonstrates nearly the maximum number of toys.


PXL_20230707_133854216.ACTION_PAN-01.COVER



This one seems to show some lack of planning for your ultimate lake view.

PXL_20230707_135654806


This was probably the smallest “camp”.  The largest was an entire point with a HUGE house on it and several outbuildings but I couldn’t get it all in one picture so it would lose its effect.

PXL_20230707_140945038


To add to the difficulty of this day, I had forgotten my Canon 35mm camera and was stuck with my phone which during the bright sunshine of the early afternoon was not providing good pictures.  Especially the loon pictures were disappointing.


PXL_20230707_141522602



But I was on the water with my face slathered in sunscreen and  there were loons and water lilies to see.  Poor me.

PXL_20230707_141653282



PXL_20230707_144325422



The later video of the loons was slightly better than the pictures though the best part is the two adults are calling to each other.  One is off screen.

I’m amazed that this loon family has chosen this very busy pond to nest on.  Really hope the huge number of people living and boating here are very careful.

Yes, that is a baby loon.  Bummer the pictures aren’t better.  I always have to take them at a good distance so as not to scare them off or upset them.  Still,  good enough for the memory.


PXL_20230707_135859276


PXL_20230707_135902029


PXL_20230707_135904200



PXL_20230707_135922983



PXL_20230707_135926635


Here is the link to the video.


PXL_20230707_140246595




WEEKEND WANDERING

On the week-ends I don’t tend to go hiking or kayaking because of the week-end warriors.  On this Saturday I thought I would check out the next closest labyrinth to walk which was in nearby Danbury at the American Society of Dowsers headquarters.  They were closed the Saturday I was there so I pulled into the parking lot and got out to look for the labyrinth.


PXL_20230708_134034214


Here is what I found.   It was so overgrown that it was hard to make it out and it was not large  even when it was being kept up.

PXL_20230708_134347641


Oh well, now I know the only labyrinth near by is in St. Johnsbury.  But while I’m here I stopped in to Bentley’s where I got a fantastic veggie panini which was so good I ate it without taking its picture.


PXL_20230708_135150713




PXL_20230708_135245192



PXL_20230708_135251799


Bentley’s is a bakery mainly and if you come too late in the day there will be nothing left at all in the pastries cases.


PXL_20230708_135257792


I also stopped by the St Johnsbury library and picked up all the Steven Huneck books they had for Pooh and I to read.  I’ve talked about Huneck and Dog Mountain before.  His books about his lab Sally are all done from woodcuts and are wonderful.


PXL_20230708_151115121



On Sunday I walked around St J as it is known here and of course walked the well maintained labyrinth.


20230709_085627


I stopped back at my car to pick up my water bottle and an hour later when I returned, this is what I found.   Yes, I had left my keys in the car door for an hour or more on a main street in St Johnsbury and there they still were when I returned.  Nothing had been touched.  I love St Johnsbury.  I don’t think it is possible for this to happen in my hometown of Charlottesville.  The car would have been stolen.


20230709_090728


AND when I got in to go home, I saw the town clean up volunteers getting their steps in.  Wonderful place.  No wonder about half the folks at the last library book discussion had moved to St J in the past 3 years.


20230709_091030



I do lots of walks around the campground – 1/4 mile per loop – it takes a lot to get any real exercise.  I pass this Moose greeting me at the campground entrance.

PXL_20230710_202947069


I wish I had found these folks at home so I could have asked them how in the world they get those kayaks off the RV roof.  Do they take the RV to the boat launch???

PXL_20230710_181125094


There are several “seasonal” sites (May-October) and at least 3 of them have a lot of “decorations”.  I think they are tacky but each to his own.


PXL_20230710_181212026



There are Moose everywhere here, especially on the office porch walls.  No real moose sadly.   There are also lots of flowers in the park.  They and it are very well kept.

PXL_20230710_203131379



KEISER POND TAKE ONE


I set out on Tuesday for relatively nearby Keiser Pond.  More loons!   BUT, after getting within less than a mile, the road was closed so I decided to park and walk up the road and see what the trouble was.  

This was taken from the road beyond the barrier looking at the river rushing by.


PXL_20230711_161402504


No problem walking up the road until I got here.  A side of the road had just slid right down.  No way to walk beyond.


PXL_20230711_162233257



PXL_20230711_162348383



Everything looked like it was just growing in the road.  Anyone who wanted ferns or trees to plant could have taken them home.   But I wasn’t going kayaking here today obviously.


PXL_20230711_162408802


A few more days of rain intervened before I could go paddling again.  And when I did I went to Ewell Pond to give the clean up folks a chance.



EWELL POND

Ewell is a sweet little pond that you can kayak around in an hour or less depending on how seriously you want to paddle.


IMG_8517



IMG_8519



 


I particularly like this rock and its reflection.



And here were the loons.  Better pictures than at Joe’s.  Better camera.






Gettin’ out a here.


I didn’t get a video of them flying off or even a good picture of them in the air but I did get this video of them swimming Ewell Pond.


IMG_8544



Beautiful clear water covering rocks that most days would be on the surface.


IMG_8545



Not sure if this little inlet is always there but it was today with the water up so I paddled in to check it out. 

IMG_8556



And this is what I found.   I’m not  small enough to go there and the space isn’t big enough side to side to turn around so……. watch this very short video to see what I did.


IMG_8558



In Vermont the mountains are almost always in the background.

PXL_20230713_144055300




KEISER POND TAKE TWO


I really was amazed given all the clean up that has to go on in Vermont from the flooding to find that 3 days after I saw the slide, the road was cleared and I went to the Keiser Pond boat launch on a foggy Friday morning.


IMG_8569



The fog is evident in this shot of the great blue heron on the bank.

IMG_8575


And on the pond as well.


IMG_8584


The water and the loons look a bit foggy.






There were a trio of loons and I was able to get this pretty good video of them despite the fog.




Finally the fog lifted.

IMG_8604



IMG_8606



I was so happy to see and be able to photograph these other birds on Keiser Pond which has become my new favorite close by pond (30 min or less)


Am I right that this is an Eastern Kingbird?


Belted Kingfisher or fishers buzzed the pond all morning.  I’m always amazed that I can get a half way decent picture of them as they don’t land for long and about the time I get the camera up and focused it’s to find that they are gone already.


IMG_8621



I “think” this is an Alder Flycatcher which I don’t think I’ve seen before.  Can someone confirm or correct?


IMG_8625



Keiser Pond also had an inviting channel. How can I resist?   Had to back out of that one too.  Here’s a short video of my relaxing float out complete with bird sounds.


IMG_8627



I came upon this mallard family with only mom’s head up.



IMG_8629


Isn’t she beautiful.  What shading!

IMG_8636


It was a great day for feathered friends and beautiful reflections.



IMG_8650



Thought I’d throw this in for a laugh and for my Florida friends.  What’s it remind you of??   Should I paddle through there?



Keiser Pond – a place I will definitely return to.

IMG_8655

25 comments:

  1. Yeah, ya lucked out with Ruby still in her place upon your return. But, then again, she’s probably not a popular make or model amongst thieves. Just be careful next time!LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't imagine thieves wouldn't want what was inside and in the trunk and in the glove compartment. Nobody touched it is the real truth.

      Delete
  2. I love the loons. When I first kayaked with them it was on our way to Alaska in a provincial park in British Columbia. I was shocked at how big they were. Until then, I had thought they were small birds. I laughed about your keys, might have been something I would have done. Glad it turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed too soon at myself after I took a deep breath and felt very lucky. As I am also to be here kayaking with these wonderful loons on these beautiful ponds.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. Hope you enjoyed my amateur loon videos.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful video recording of the loon calls. They are so pretty in the fog as well. Must have been fun backing out of that channel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you'd like them Laurie I was amazed at how long they called back and forth. As you can see floating back out of the channels was so much fun I did it twice on two different ponds.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the videos. So glad your car wasn't riffled through. Thieves in mid day on a main street. I suppose it might happen in Charlottesville these days unfortunate as that is. The fact that its a stick shift makes it less likely to be stolen...at least I would think. Very lucky. Wonder if the folks with the kayaks on their 5th wheel have a huge truck to drive their kayaks to lauch. Maybe?. Lovely loons, pretty ponds and amusing vacation home pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment Carrie. I hadn't thought about the fact that maybe they drive their truck up to the RV and hand The kayaks down or something. Just can't figure out how they get them off of there. Yes the stick shift might deter some. Do you think you could still drive one??

      Delete
  6. Love love all the water! The kayaking looks so peaceful. Pretty water lilies. I love the loons- their call is mystical and they look regal the way they hold their heads up (perfect posture). Glad no one stole Ruby. I wouldn't mind living on a lake! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be nice if we could live multiple lives? I'd take a lake or pond where no motors were allowed. Only loons. But living at the beach isn't so bad and neither is the mountains.

      Delete
  7. Nice bird pics. I never learned those small no neck puffed chest chickadees. They look like cartoon birds.
    Tom in Denali NP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. Boy are you in the perfect place f/to beat this horrible heat down south. Envy you being in Denali. For how long??

      Delete
    2. It's been a grand trip. It started on July 10 and we drive home tonight.

      Delete
  8. Happy to hear you enjoyed Keiser Pond and Ewell Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These days no one probably thinks to look in the door for a key :-)))) Glad Ruby was safe and sound when you returned - it does make you feel good to know she was left alone. Love the reflection pics, especially that great rock. Not as scary as the big alligator jaws. Beautiful loons. I especially like the foggy pond collection. I can't pull up vids where we are right now, but I'm sure there's not too many :-) Wonderful that you got some rain-free days for paddling. And I love the moose in your park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great comment Jodee. I do feel good and pretty shocked that Ruby was ignored with a key in her lock. You are the only one that mentioned the alligator jaws which I thought were pretty funny.

      Delete
  10. I'm like you with car keys except I do the opposite. I leave the keys inside the car and then I lock the doors. Ask Marti how dumb I am, she's had to rescue me with a spare key a couple of times. :cD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kayaking with the loons is pure magic! I think your other bird ID's are correct...
    I'm sooooo behind in my life right now between getting our house finished and our grandson visiting. But I'm glad you're getting out on the water for wonderful kayaking and enjoying all that sweet little town has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are magical to look at and to hear. I am so lucky that there is at least one pair on nearly every pond in Vermont. Wow your grandson is coming. That's fantastic!!!

      Delete
  12. Wow, good stuff, from seriously, what were they thinking in moving to the lake and simultaneously blocking the view, to the keys (thank you Jesus!) to the kayak challenge (although I'm more concerned driving underneath things being that tall) to the unchanging love I have for a pic of a lake/river view with your kayak protruding into the beginning of the view, just as if we're there with you, thanks so much Sherry!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love your comments Shayne. Thank you so much. That you felt you were there with me is wonderful. I'll remember that every time I take another one of those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Despite all the obstructions you still got in a lot of paddling. I love the loons.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.