Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Ten Days, Lots of Rain

June 7-17, 2023                                                          Most Recent Post:
Moose River Campground                                       Last Days & Heading North
St Johnsbury, Vermont                                             Time on My Hands – I Love it


I apologize for the length of this post.  I obviously should not have let 10 days go by. 


20230607_102126There has been a lot of rain here ever since I arrived 2 weeks ago.  The river is up and it’s hard to plan to do anything.  Some days it rains all day long.  Some days no rain is predicted but it does rain.  Some days rain is predicted and it doesn’t.   I’ve stayed in when I should have gone kayaking and gone out and gotten drenched.

I’ve done puzzles, read books and taken short close to home excursions hoping for the best.


One of my close to home attempts to get some exercise was to walk through the neighborhoods of Saint Johnsbury where there are some lovely old homes.

20230608_15500620230608_155038












Somehow blue looks just fine on this house.

20230608_155121


You can see the dark clouds in the sky behind the birth place of one of the two founders of Alcoholics Anonymous, Bob Smith.  I just love the sign  ”Dr Bob’s Birthplace and Childhood Home”.   The building is still used for counseling and AA meetings.


20230608_161057


I heard some people on the campground office porch grumbling about the fact that the private high school St. Johnsbury Academy had bought yet more land on which, as a non profit, they do not pay taxes and thus the speculation was that everyone else’s real estate taxes would go up AGAIN.   I’ve heard a similar argument about Charlottesville Virginia home of the University of Virginia.

So when I happened upon this sign, I got a good look at the size of the “campus” in this small town of 5,313.

20230608_163641




20230608_163812The campus really is huge for a student body of 907 students, mostly at a tuition cost of $61,400 for boarding.  The average class size is 12. When I looked it up, I found that it was described as “a highly rated private boarding and day school”, founded in 1842 and was coed from the founding which is quite unusual.  I laughed when they pointed out that Calvin Coolidge graduated from the school.



Buildings are both old and new.  And as you can see from the skies, then it began to rain.

20230608_163918


So, I worked on my puzzles.  I was starting a brand new puzzle and before I do I always redo my favorite puzzle to get back into puzzle shape.  It was a gift from Carrie.  I hope she’ll do an updated one for me for my birthday or Christmas this year.  Isn’t it GREAT!   I’ve got a nice view of the river as I work.  You can see the water level  is up from the earlier picture.


PXL_20230608_130911500


PXL_20230608_130929143



Saturday morning is the Saint Johnsbury Farmer’s Market which I always attend for greens, veggies and treats.   It didn’t rain but the skies show the threat.

PXL_20230610_134429637


These folks clearly have a green house since the weather hasn’t been anywhere near warm enough to ripen these organic tomatoes which by the way are delicious.

PXL_20230610_134437553


This Jamaican food vender is always here and if he has crab bites, I always have two.  That’s my limit.  The other food is too spicy for me.

PXL_20230610_140702154


The first strawberries came in on my second Saturday.

PXL_20230617_134702516



PXL_20230617_135036409


This baker is another of my favorites.   I love her delicious focaccia bread and to die for cinnamon nut rolls with cream cheese icing and raspberries.   OH MY!


PXL_20230617_135314162


You can see the huge focaccia bread on the left end of the front table.  She promised to make me a half for next week.


PXL_20230617_182928577


These guys have great greens including bok choy and home.  They also sell home made maple syrup.

PXL_20230617_135508879



Back home, the river is rising.  Compare with the first picture.


PXL_20230617_143435925




IMG_7835When it is never really clear whether it is going to rain or not, I’m loathe to go too far from home. 

There are a few close by hiking spots though not many.  One of them is the Lamoille Rail Trail from St Johnsbury to West Danbury.  That’s the first section of the 93 mile trail across the northern section of the state. 



IMG_7834I wasn’t expecting to see the number of wild flowers and especially spring ephemerals that I did.  But it reinforced my decision a year ago to stop traveling with my bike because I went too fast to really see anything.  Now I hike the bike trails and today I saw many things that none of the bikers peddling by saw except those who stopped to see what I was taking pictures of.  Did you notice the purple Wild Phlox in the picture above??


The Wild Columbine was outstanding.  I found two small patches which you can tell apart by the adjacent greenery.  I took and am posting too many  pictures of it.  It’s one of my favorite wild flowers.  So delicate.







OK, ENOUGH!



I was too late for the real Solomon’s Seal with the little bells hanging underneath the leaf stalk but there was a fair amount of False Solomon’s Seal with the plum at the end.




I’m guessing this is a form of Ranunculus.  Anyone know for sure?  It was blooming in profusion along the trail.



IMG_7847


And the ferns were thick and green and plentiful both Lady Ferns and the New York Fern.



The purple Wild Phlox was also in abundance. 



What fun to find Jack-in-the-Pulpit.   I spotted several after seeing this first one.  It’s interesting to me that once I see something my eyes must get attuned to it for then I see many more.


Isn’t Mother Nature incredible!



Sadly I was too late for the amazing red Giant Trillium flower.


And too early for the Blood Root.




IMG_7865



Along the way there were some views as well.

IMG_7866



I was able to walk over  10000 steps out and back before the rain and returning to my new puzzle.  I love my puzzle board.


PXL_20230611_140417105



Another close to home hike was to Observatory Knob across from the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in St. Johnsbury.  My information said park at the cemetery and walk across the road to the farm gate and obvious trail

But I love small town cemeteries so I parked and walk around there a bit.

They often have wonderful gates.  You can see red Ruby parked there at the end of the three vehicles.


This is the side of the lovely chapel you can see just beyond Ruby.


Since I wasn’t here to find anyone in particular, I did not go inside but the pictures do not do justice to the stained glass even from the outside.



Members of the French Family were all commemorated on the four sides of this one marker.


Edward was apparently killed in the Civil war in 1864 at Petersburg Virginia at age 31.








Aside: Me wonders if we are foolish enough to head into another civil war.  I think the country is as divided as it has been since the mid 1800’s.  Some folks seem to want that.



Some wonderful shelf mushrooms were adding beauty to the cemetery.


Wish I could see the designs on the tops of them.  I’m not tall enough to see the top one.

IMG_7875




And then on to Observation Knob, the highest place in St. Johnsbury with views on clear days across three sets of mountains.  Unfortunately, as usual lately, this is not a clear day.

The hike starts in a field as a narrow path.  It’s a pretty steep limb once you get out of the woods.

IMG_7886


It was nice to have this excuse to stop for a rest as I went.


At the top Dave Brown has placed a bench and a mailbox with a log book for hikers to record their thoughts and impressions.

IMG_7892




IMG_7893


The trail behind the bench leads into the woods but before taking it, I enjoyed the hazy view.


The trail leads down which means it will have to come back up at some point if I am to return to the bench and my car.

IMG_7900


Soon I come to a sign saying “Welcome, You are entering private property, foot traffic only”.  Dave Brown has created this circular path through the woods and his 5 acres of land adjacent to the Knob.


IMG_7901





The path goes down down, down, crosses Dave’s driveway and goes out behind his garage and back up.  I was sorry I did not see him.  I’d like to have thanked him for his generosity in this trail and the bench and mailbox.


IMG_7910

I’d stayed close to home instead of going kayaking or on a longer hike  and of course, it didn’t rain


On another day I ventured further out looking for water falls.  I had three on my list but only saw one.   I stopped mid search at the Hastings store near Joe’s pond for an ice cream cone and forgot to get our picture.   Best and least expensive cone around.  Giant scoop for $2.00.   No doubt I’ll be back again and get our picture then.



It’s a great old country store with a post office inside with the wonderful metal postal boxes.  There used to be one in the little town down the country road rom the farm but the post office is now a separate section of the building and only accessible from its own door sadly.


IMG_7920


I followed the directions in my Vermont Waterfall book exactly but was unable to see from the points they told me either Joe’s Falls or Cheever’s Falls.

I did find and get some good looks at Goslants Falls.   I do love waterfalls but the state of Vermont can’t begin to compete with Transylvania County in North Carolina.



IMG_7925



In my last post a blog reader I didn’t remember ever hearing  from commented to say she was nearby and so Wendy and I met for a wonderful lunch.  She is leaving for a trip west through Minnesota but promised to get in touch when she gets back and give me some ideas about things to see around the area and her home in Peacham.   She also promised to keep commenting.  Thanks a lovely conversation Wendy.  If I’d known where you are, I’d have reached out and am so glad you did.


PXL_20230614_174246222


Later that day I went on a kayaking scouting expedition to check out Job’s Pond which a fellow camper at Moose River told me about.  it looks wonderful.  I hope to go there for the Summer Solstice.


Nice put in.  Not a soul in sight.

PXL_20230614_200454121


SIGH, look at those clouds.

PXL_20230614_200555942


There was a trail and so I followed it.

PXL_20230614_200712798


These are the same floers I saw on Dave’s Trail at the Knob.  They aren’t Trout Lilies but what are they?

PXL_20230614_201104855


And these.

PXL_20230614_201756947



PXL_20230614_201810883



The trail went through the woods and eventually dead ended into a tributary into the lake.  This house was near the end of the trail.  Pretty sweet!

PXL_20230614_203304682


Finally!   A day when it isn’t going to rain.   I head out to Victory Bog to see if I can find some Lady Slippers or Pitcher Plants or Venus Fly Trap.

The Bog is about 30 minutes away and apparently the weather in Vermont is extremely localized for as I got out of the car, it started sprinkling.  I grabbed my raincoat and headed on down the boardwalk.  Look at the blue skies.  Well, mostly blue.


IMG_7926


I’d love to see a Spruce Grouse though I know the chances are about 0%.

IMG_7927


The boardwalk ends at a viewing platform over this small bog pond.


IMG_7928


To continue on the trail I went down three steps into the bog.  I can see the trail runs along a waterway coming into or out of the pond.  I’m not sure which.

IMG_7930


I guess that misty rain created these great looking water droplets.  Should this have been foreshadowing?

IMG_7932



The further I go, the muddier it gets.  But this is a bog right?

IMG_7934


The board planks mostly keep me out of the mud.

IMG_7937


I pass a number of budding Blue Flag and finally see an open flower.  No pitcher plants or Lady Slippers.   But so far there are no “elevated” areas in this bog where they might be.

IMG_7942


IMG_7944


There are a few water lilies in a wide spot in the water way beside me

IMG_7945


At one point I get to a dry wooded area.  Still no lady slippers but a nice shelf mushroom.

IMG_7948


While I’m in the woods it starts to rain again. 

IMG_7949


There are carpets of Bunchberry also called Ground Dogwood.

IMG_7950



IMG_7952


After the woods, which have blocked some of the rain,  the trail gets sketchy.  I continue on to see if there are more woods or what on the other end.  Perhaps this shower will end like the earlier one did.  I’m right about here when the rain picks up big time and of course all the plants brushing me as I walk along are even more wet. 

IMG_7954


I continue on a bit to see if it will lighten up but I’m getting way too wet from the branches now over my head.    I take one quick picture of the beautiful spring growth on this Spruce Tree by the trail side and give up and turn back.


Finally the rain stops and I take this shot through an opening in the side growth nearer to the wooden boardwalk.   Skies still looking a bit ominous.

IMG_7965


Back at the viewing platform which means I’m close to the car and soaked.

IMG_7966

So much for a day when no rain is predicted.



This past Friday, June 16, it’s supposed to rain again of course so this time I don’t go 30 miles away, I go right down the road to check out Dog Mountain even though I don’t own a dog at this point in my life.

But I did have dogs all my life before I went on the road .  For those of you who do have a dog, this is an amazing place.   Love the sign:  Welcome, All creeds, all breeds, no dogmas allowed.   Shouldn’t that be everyone’s motto?

The artist Stephen Huneck and his wife Gwen bought this 150 acre mountain property in 1995, turned the barn into his studio and built the Dog Chapel.  There are hiking trails and dog ponds where dogs are free to run, play and meet each other.  Leashes are not required.   If you don’t like free joyful playing dogs, this is not the place to you. 


I took this copy of one of his posters from Art.com.   You can see more of his work by clicking the link.  He’s done some wonderful things.  This is one of my favorites.  Much of his works feature Labs.  He had a black Lab named Sally.


Huneck friendship




Huneck bookAs well as his art work, Huneck wrote books about his dog Sally.  His first book shows her helping him recover from a fall in 1994 in which he broke several ribs and suffered a head injury which put him into a coma for two months.

There are over a dozen other books about Sally.




I’ll check out the Gallery and Chapel next time, today I was here to hike their trails of which there are 4.   Note the announcement for the up coming Dog Party.  These are held frequently on Fridays during the summer.  Dogs and people gather to hear music and picnic on the grounds.   This one was being held the next day and sadly got rained out.



Today I did the main Yellow Trail and also the second longest trail, the Blue.  I’ll come back for Pink and Green.

20230616_103139



The trails go through the woods though a great deal of Dog Mountain is mowed grassy areas great for running and playing.  

Before setting out on the trails I followed a grassy path to a viewing spot for the Angel Dog.


IMG_7983


In this photo you can see the Angel Dog but not her one wing.  I’m not sure what happened to the other one but I will ask the next time I’m there.    In the background are a long row of solar panels on the mountain.   Notice the fire hydrant.



This may be the only known statue of a fire hydrant.


Because of the - being coming very irritating - constant cloud cover, you can hardly tell that she is gold.


IMG_8051


Sure wish she still had two wings.

IMG_8052



On the way to the woods, there were wildflowers in bloom.   Especially Lupines and Daisies.






The paths are marked with colored dog paw trail markers.




20230616_104557



Once in the woods there are other beauties to enjoy.

20230616_115531


Love this dog head bench complete with watering bowl.


IMG_8001



But the surprise of the day was this one lone Pink Lady Slipper.  Not in a bog, but in the woods.   I’m lucky to have seen it since the top is clearly browning and it will not be around much longer.






Once around both trails I came back to the mowed paths overlooking the main pond and the buildings.  


I’m sure good times were had by all.

IMG_8022


I’m already over half a month into my stay here and have thought I “might” try to eat at each of the restaurants in town.  Not sure I can do that and not weigh an egregious amount by the time I leave.  But as a start, I picked the Kitchen Counter Cafe for a breakfast Brunch.  They are open from 8 to 3 seven days a week and serve breakfast the whole time.


Kitchen counter2


It’s a cute little long and slender diner and my breakfast was so good I neglected to take a picture of it before I scarfed it down.


20230616_130136


Kitchen counter










In addition to doing puzzles, I also spent my rainy hours reading these two books both for book discussions.  

Those of you old enough might remember the Zorro of TV fame and his signature sword mark of a giant Z.  Isabel Allende has created an entire life for him and the St. Johnsbury Library Book Club is reading it for this month.  

The book on the right is Adam Bede by George Eliot which I am reading with my friend Laurie and discussing now on Messenger since for whatever reason my Ipad, about which I know absolutely nothing since it is an EYE product, has decided that it will not connect to the Facetime server despite my creating a new password which I have never needed until last week.  We’ve been using Facetime for over 2 years I think it is and when I click the icon it just comes right up - until last time.   Any Ipad knowledgeable people who have a clue what I can do, please let me know.


Congratulations, you made it to the bottom.  Hope you’ll leave me a comment even if just to chew me out for the length.

27 comments:

  1. I’ve heard about Dog Mountain. After viewing the snapshots and reading your take on it, I’m inspired to bring Sparky up for a visit. You’re only a little over an hour drive north. How much longer will you be at Moose River CG, and what’s a good time for us to stop in?
    (We’ll try not to bring any rain with us!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please no more rain. Sparky will love dog Mountain. I'll be in touch

      Delete
  2. Dog Chapel — sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Diane and the next time I go up there I will put, in the next blog, some pictures of the inside of the chapel which is even sweeter.

      Delete
  3. So much good stuff!! The grands puzzle is a delight. How lovely to find all the pretty flowers - not in-your-face bunches, just pretty little wisps. I love that! Wonderful that private citizens have shared their land with hikers and doggies and that you get to explore it. The little chapel is beautiful. Hope the rains move on soon, glad you're there long enough to get out to see everything when the sun arrives :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady slipper was the real flower prize Jodee. St Johnsbury is a very interesting little town and area. Love my site on the river.

      Delete
  4. You're finding so many delightful things nearby! Including the "only known statue of a fire hydrant," LOL!! So glad you're getting out and exploring despite the rain or threat of rain. And that you have interests to pursue when you can't get out! I like that you warm up for your puzzles with such a sweet puzzle. :-)) How are you feeling about your long stay in Vermont now that you're one month in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought of you when I wrote the fire hydrant comment. I knew you'd like it. I got here on the 4th of June so actually I'm 3 weeks into it. Not sure what I think so far since it won't quit raining.

      Delete
  5. I was actually shocked when I found I had so many things to put in this blog given how much it has rained. If it has been cool in Virginia perhaps I should have stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the length, I enjoyed every wildflower picture! Somewhere I remember the Dog Mountain. Maybe another blogger had been there. Would like to take Cooper there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I know Cooper would love to go there Laurie. I'm so glad the links didn't bother you and that you enjoyed the pictures. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  7. Your pictures are fantastic regardless of the clouds. I love Dave's trail, and how wonderful Dog Mountain is. What lovely ideas from what must be lovely people. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures. They are lovely ideas and I'm fortunate to have been able to visit both spots

      Delete
  8. I remember spruce grouse from the property where my parents retired to. There was a flock of them regularly seen passing through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very envious William of a flock of spruce grouse on your parents' property. How wonderful!!

      Delete
  9. Nice Post, enjoyed all the pics. It has been <60 degrees and drizzling for us. Big change from MOAB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess less than 60 is a big change. I'd love to go back to/ Moab. Good to hear from you Tom.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed our lunch and meeting you. Hope you are enjoying the sunshine these past few days and can now get your kayak wet with pond water instead of rain drops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a great trip Wendy. It's wonderful to see you in the comments.

      Delete
  11. We wrestle with the idea of getting another dog. We'd love to have another Golden Retriever, but realize at this point in our lives it wouldn't be fair to the dog as we are not home a lot with the various daily activites we are involved in. When the desire really starts to burn, a look at the prices a Golden would cost brings us back to reality that maybe the time isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how we felt Paul. Being on the road wouldn't be fair to a dog since we were very frequently hiking in places where they weren't allowed and would have to be left for long periods of time.

      Delete
  12. That was a lot, but I enjoyed it. Great pics! I hope Pam V. reads this one for the dogs. Love the lady slipper find. I love that flower. Have you tried facetime again? Still can't connect to the server? Unfortunately I know little about Apple products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a lot. I need to publish more often or learn to say less. LOL! I haven't tried facetime lately since messenger works. I need an Apple store I guess. That I find them so user unfriendly and expensive is the reason I hadn't had Apple products.

      Delete
  13. Yes, Dear Sherry, I did make it to the bottom. I started a couple of times, and actually had to come back to savor it a bit more slowly and enjoy. Rainy Vermont looks quite wonderful to me as our Southern Oregon temperatures begin to heat up and the lower pasture is brown and dry. Watering trees deeply as we speak, or as deeply as I can with a low producing well. It is always a trade-off. We are preparing for our journey to Ireland, Scotland, and England on a fancy shmancy cruise ship. Do you remember our old blogging friends Two to Travel, Erin and Mui.? We were supposed to cruise with them back in 2020, and after three different cancellations here we are, on the same ship but without Erin and Mui who are on a world cruise at the moment . Love your photos, and love the rain. I could do with some rain. I think it might be raining in Ireland, I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I could send you some rain Sue to thank you for persevering through this long post. I've been to England Scotland and Ireland each twice and would love to go again. Really envying you that trip. I can't believe the traveling Erin and Mui are on their way around the world. I haven't heard anything about them since they went off the road. Where are they living now? When they aren't on airplanes that is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that campus is huge for such a small, and obviously wealthy, clientele. I LOVE you puzzle from Carrie. Having a local market is wonderful, especially the green tomatoes. Columbine always seem few and elusive. I haven't seen Jack in the Pulpit or Trillium in WAY too long. Sauntering is perfect for flowers. I miss waterfalls. Maybe when I get into the Pacific Northwest. That stone house is perfect! Lots of rain sure makes everything blooming and lush green. The dog park is great.
    --Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much forbthe dog post, ours would definitely love it there. I gotta say, that the spot that you were parked at next to the stream is SO wonderful! Jealous...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.