Saturday, July 15, 2023

A Stunning Hike in Franconia Notch

Wednesday July 5, 2023                                        Most Recent Posts: 
Falling Waters                                              Writing in the Shadow of a Flood
Lincoln, New Hampshire           Inspired by Sally Mann: Days in Black and White


The hike I took up the Falling Waters trail  was so spectacular that I’m devoting an entire post to it.   I’ll catch up to real time in the next post or two.

I drove 37 miles into New Hampshire to Franconia Notch State Park to hike this rocky trail that was SO worth it.   Hope you feel like you’ve hiked it with me after reading this but without all the climbing.    There are several short videos to give you the magnificent sounds of these falling waters.

The Falling Waters trail is the red line at the bottom of the map running left to right.



The trail starts out encouragingly with a few rocks I can easily hike around.

IMG_8405



And then a few more.

IMG_8407



Lovely cascades along the side of the trail.         See the video here.  


IMG_8412



The one and only bridge over the water.  Notice the rock slab on the far side.

IMG_8414


View from the bridge.


IMG_8415


On the other side.  The rock slab up closer.  Bigger rocks, yes the trail goes through here.

IMG_8416



The last of the “easy parts”.

IMG_8417



The river along side the trail was gorgeous all the way up.

IMG_8418



The sun made this an impossible picture and the going was slow between the roots and the rocks.   This looks like a dry stream bed but it’s the trail.  In big rains I’m sure it is a stream.


IMG_8422


Roots and rocks!


IMG_8426



Now, how to get to the other side?

IMG_8427


A closer look for planning.  Rocks are wet and slippery.  The water to the left is over my boot tops deep.  So no crossing there.

IMG_8428


Standing on a rock in the middle.

IMG_8429



Looking back from the middle  at the cool steps carved out of the rock.

IMG_8430



I just walked down these.

IMG_8431



View from the middle looking the other way.

IMG_8432



Where I’m trying to get to.

IMG_8433



The people following me also trying to figure it out.

IMG_8434



This picture of these falls isn’t as nice as this short video of it.  


IMG_8443



The rooty way up.

IMG_8449



Another water to cross to a giant slab of slippery rock with nothing to hold on to.

Here’s the video of me standing on it after I got across with some folks following me.  

IMG_8450



And the trail I found at the top of the rock face.



Looking down at the same water from the rocky trail.


IMG_8456



Yes this is the trail too.   Can you even find it? 

IMG_8470



The pictures of the rushing water do not do its beauty justice except perhaps in the videos.

IMG_8477



IMG_8479



Yes this is the trail too but the only way you can tell is thank heavens for the blue trail blaze.

IMG_8483



My goal from a distance.

IMG_8486


Worth the climb.


Here is a video of this final falls.  When it pans past my blue hiking pole, notice the rocks above and around the pole.  Those are the ones I climbed down and back up to and from the trail.    Major obstacles when you have very short legs.


IMG_8499


What goes up, must come down through those same rocks and across those same slippery waters.


PXL_20230705_125528083



Almost at the bottom,  my proof that I did it up and back and it was worth the effort!

PXL_20230705_131528506


I didn’t have any trouble with my hips or my knees on the hike or after but boy were my thighs and calves sore the next day.    Would I do it again?  YOU BET!!

24 comments:

  1. Bad internet connection so I can’t view the photos right now. The videos of the falls showed so clear that I was afraid I’d fall in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment came from Kathy of Tom and Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know who you are Kathy. I'm really surprised your internet would show the videos and not the pictures.

      Delete
  3. Great hike! thank you for sharing. I always loved the names of those trails....more than one Notch, I think? How many miles total was that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how many notches in New Hampshire. This is the most famous one I think. Not a long hike - 3 miles?? I didn't pay attention but up all the way and tricky. No problem for you.

      Delete
  4. A couple of really nice waterfalls to go with another great photo of you! But, WOW, still kind of struck by those steps hewn into the rock. Quite a bit of work in forming that, thanks for sharing with us all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed too Shayne at the amount of work it must have taken to hand carve those steps. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Wow. My favorite hikes are ones that run beside a stream. This one exceeded expectations. I kept thinking "I am not sure if I would have stuck it out," with all of the challenges of rocks and roots, but I can tell it was worth it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come up and visit me Pam and we'll do some together.

      Delete
  6. Wow, good job! Hikes like that are so fun, even if a bit tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We loved that park but didn't brave any trails nearly that adventurous! Glad you took me with you to see some of what we missed. The stairs in the rock look like they were a lot of effort for little reward! Those slippery rocks look unpassable but of course you billy-goated your way through :-) The rushing water is gorgeous and the final falls definitely worth some effort. I'm surprised with all the rain you've had there was any dryness through the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really wasn't any dryness Jodee and I was amazed at the people without hiking poles.

      Delete
  8. Sure does look like a great hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was John, you'd love it. You guys should get out of that Texas heat and come up and do it.

      Delete
  9. Nice trail. Beautiful area. Keep on hiking... no place to hike near me until we get about 30 degrees cooler....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your heat is unbelievable. Wish you were here.

      Delete
  10. What a gorgeous hike! We hiked in Franconia Notch State Park in fall of 2019 and the colors were gorgeous, but it was a different hike from what you did. So thanks for taking me along with you on your hike! My favorite trails are always along water, too. But I have to say sometimes it gets tiring to have to watch every single step with all of the roots and big rocks on the trails. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too Love hikes along the water but like you the rooty part not so much. And up and up and up....LOL

      Delete
  11. I thought I commented on this beautiful post full of water and bubbling streams, especially delightful when in hot sunny no rain Oregon. But I evidently didn't. Lovely hike, lots of great photos, as always. I know how much time it takes to keep up these posts, Sherry, kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments Sue. I would love to send you some of this rain if only I could.

      Delete
  12. I am impressed with your hiking skills over all the boulders, especially wet. It's gorgeous but I am happy to see it through your lens.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.