Wednesday, July 10, 2024

The Fairbanks Museum

June 19-June 21, 2024                                                   Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                 Summer Solstice was HOT here too
Site 15                                                                     Molly’s Pond State Park
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont



Being primarily an outdoors person, I have never been to the Fairbanks Museum here in St. Johnsbury.  There are other reasons why I have not come but I decided today was the day to visit.


The Fairbanks Museum Tests Innovative ...

The Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium is a combination natural science museum, history museum and planetarium.

It was founded in 1890 by businessman, politician, naturalist, and collector Franklin Fairbanks.  The museum and its beautiful building are on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.


Notice the lions guarding the entrance.  Children like to climb on them and ride.

Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium ...



Taken July 7 24 (6)The town of St. Johnsbury had a long history with the Fairbanks family.  It was the location of the Fairbanks Scales headquarters and factories since the 1820s, as well as several other mansions and estates owned by members of the family. Before founding the museum, Franklin Fairbanks had served as president of the company, which his father and uncle had founded.

The museum was expanded in 1894 to house the entire growing collection, moving from its previous location, Fairbanks' own house, Undercliffe Mansion, where the items and artifacts had been kept beginning in the 1870s.  Much of the main collection in the museum comes from Fairbanks' own pre-existing collection.  The museum was built specifically to contain and display the collection which numbers some 175,000 objects.  Storage and archive spaces are maintained on site for many of the items when not on display.


I’m normally not a lover of Natural History museums.  I have seen both of these bears in the wild and much prefer to see animals in their natural habitat not stuffed and on display.   So the Fairbanks makes me a little uneasy and I spend most of my time with the history and archeology collections.  I find I can’t even begin to scratch the surface.

PXL_20240619_185434301.MP



I do love the seashells and particularly the way they are displayed here so that I can see the inner amazing design.

PXL_20240619_191653816.MP



PXL_20240619_191715306.MP




PXL_20240619_192354372.MP


Most of the main floor is occupied by animal displays and the very interesting museum store.  Up the wonderful curving staircases in the corners I can reach the balcony.

The inside of this building is as gorgeous as the outside.  Golden oak is my favorite wood.   The stair treads are oak with brass air panels below.






In this shot you can see the amazing wooden curved ceiling and look over the balcony to the floor below.   Orient yourself by finding the two bears.

Taken July 7 24 (10)



The two long balconies on either side of the railings have glass display cases along them as well as exhibits in alcoves to the far sides.    It’s an amazingly designed wonderful space.  There are two stained glass windows at either end.


PXL_20240619_192424381.MP




PXL_20240619_192448581.MP




PXL_20240619_193021479.MPMany of the displays in the alcoves are archeological.  This one is entitled Armor and Helmet from the late 1800’s, which is just over 100 years ago.  It was brought from the Gilbert Islands, a group of coral islands and atolls in the west-central pacific Ocean 2800 miles northeast of Australia.  How in the world did Mr. Fairbanks get it?  I hope it was a gift. 

The armor and helmet are made of woven coconut fiber, porcupine quills and fish skin.  It is just amazing.

The weapon is made from coconut wood, sharks teeth and human hair.




Aren’t they just incredible.   How could we ever think any native tribes were unsophisticated?

PXL_20240619_193021479A.MP



There are so many alcoves and so many displays that it is nearly overwhelming and it is clear I will have to return many times in order to see and read everything here.   And like most museums, what is on display at any one time is a fraction of the entire collection.

Below is a Butterfly Mosaic.  I have mixed feelings about this exquisite art.


PXL_20240619_193423838A.MP

Butterfly mosaics are created by cutting and arranging the delicate and colorful wings of butterflies and are produced in few places in the world.  This one, the plaque below it says was acquired from the artist by an important official in the Central African Republican government and given to Allen and Carolyn Grass of Rumney Vermont.  I couldn’t find out who they are or why they would be so honored.  But they donated this piece to the Fairbanks in October 1999.



PXL_20240619_200943025A.MP



On the other side of the balcony I found this collected common dobsonfly.  These are the largest aquatic insects in the world with a wing span up to 8.5”.  Dobsonflies are large, nocturnal insects that live in and around freshwater streams in North America including Vermont.  They have large prominent pincers and long antennae.  Boy am I glad they are nocturnal.  I’d hate to have one fly up to me in a kayak.  








Equally amazing was this created metal dobsonfly.  That’s the collected one in its case on the lower right for a size comparison.

PXL_20240619_200955688.MP


This thing was amazing and huge.

PXL_20240619_201138948.MP


Within 90 minutes my mind was a whirl and I could not take in anything else. 

I am much more impressed than I expected to be and will return multiple times to try again to see and understand just a handful of all the amazing things on display here.   The next post I do on the Fairbanks will include the Planetarium.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like your enriched your mind! Hope it's cooler there than here, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is cooler than it is in Virginia Diane but it is also flooding up here in a big way. Wish I could send you some of this incessant rain.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps a brace of dobsonflies could be harnessed to assist with moving your kayak along the waterways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea Judy and we actually have had Dobson flies on the river during the flood.

      Delete
  3. Not sure why it shows "anonymous" for me. Judie Ashford

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly recognize that museum overload that hits, often before everything has been seen. The building is truly lovely. I especially liked those brass air vents on the stair risers. Hopefully your weather is decent and not ridiculously hot as we are here out west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be hot everywhere and humid in the East which is even worse. Not so hot up here but we have much more rain than we can use and today the River flooded over its banks and came after those of us with waterfront sites.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Beautiful building and so much there! You will have to return. The armor and mosaic are both amazing. I also feel unease at the use of animals or their parts for art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetheart I wish you were here the building is absolutely amazingly gorgeous but so many things built in the late 1800s were. We no longer build those beautiful buildings unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. That metal dobsonfly would make a great hood ornament. I have to find one for my car. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Dobson fly is almost as big as your car Paul. That would definitely be some hood ornament.

      Delete
  7. Another great reason to have a whole summer in one spot, to immerse yourself in a wonderful museum. While I'm not a fan of stuffing wildlife for display in a home, for many this is the only opportunity (sadly) to ever see a real animal, fall in love with them, and want to share the planet with them. I love those stairs and ceiling - such beauty to house the beauty! The artist really captured the delicacy and strength of those dobsonfly wings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodee you are a friend I would love to go visit a museum with. I too am very glad that I am here for a longer period of time so that I can return to the museum.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What an interesting building! The curved ceiling is beautiful and reminds me of what it would look like to be inside a whale. The stairs leading to the balconies are quite ornate. The balconies are really attractive and let in so much light. I agree with you about the bears and the butterfly wing mosaic. We took Marian to a "wildlife" museum here and it mostly consisted of stuffed dead animals and all kinds of pictures of men hunting ducks and other animals and catching fish. It left me feeling disgusted. The dobsonfly is quite impressive. I had never heard of one. I do love the dobsonfly sculpture. Despite its' size, it is graceful.
    xxxooo
    It's so graceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this post Pam. I know I wouldn't have liked the wildlife museum you went to either. Thanks so much for your proofreading help.

      Delete
  9. Good heavens. I can see why your head was in a spin. What a place. The architecture alone is worth the visit. It's amazing on the outside and I thought it must have been an old cathedral, but I guess not. Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I will go visit the museum once a week. Not sure I'll post about every visit but rather combine some of them together. I'm glad you enjoyed this one thank you so much for the comment.

      Delete
  10. I'm just reading about the flooding in Vermont and hoping you are safe. The museum looks fascinating, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern. I am fine and I'm composing a blog about the flood which has thankfully subsided. Wish I knew who you were. I just hate blogger making people anonymous.

      Delete
  11. So…. Having met Sherry in FL over the winter I am recognizing how much she loves to explore and learn! I read her blog and shake my head in wonder and sometimes awe! Not really a historian myself, yet, Sherry brings her adventures to life with her photos and narratives. We just returned from PA, from a Corp of Engineers camp in Tioga and the reprieve from the heat was lovely. We’re back in NY and the heat and humidity are not so lovely…. Sigh. Anyway, with that sentiment I learned something this morning over coffee
    ( I know! I know… Sherry detests coffee… even the smell of it 😉) l learned that this heat has a purpose!!! Sounds good right! I wanted to show off to Sherry in our daily text and decided to share with all of you who adore Sherry as I do!!!! Enjoy and cheers!! That’s a coffee ☕️ ☕️ cheers raised to you all and of course our Sherry!!! Dog days of summer - did you know that the phrase is of astronomical significance?

    The astronomical meaning of the dog days of summer refers to the period when the star Sirius, also known as the "Dog Star," rises and sets in conjunction with the Sun. This typically occurs during late July and early August and was historically associated with hot and sultry weather as Sirius is the brightest star in the Canis Major constellation and was believed to add its heat to that of the Sun ☀️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary you are so kind with your compliments. I did know about dog Days but thank you so much for sharing the information. Dog days aren't supposed to show up until August. They've been here since June. Unfair I say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure is an amazing building, inside and out. Though so many displays is a little overwhelming. Hope you were safe from the flooding. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of these little museums have very interesting stuff. Still enjoying our time with Emma and family. You know Julia is expecting, due in Dec.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.