Sunday, July 14, 2024

Fast Forward to the FLOOD

July 10-13, 2024                                                    Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                  The Fairbanks Museum
St Johnsbury, Vermont                                       Summer Solstice was HOT here too


I’m interrupting my chronological flow to jump to the present days.  Hurricane Beryl paid us a visit on Wednesday in the middle of the night.  The clean up and especially road repair is on going.   Here’s what it looked like.


My “backyard”  at 10am on Wednesday July 10.  River is seriously rising.  But this sort of thing happened last year.  No one was too concerned.


IMG_2585


You can see a 30 second video of the river just beginning to over flow,


Here’s the campground road and Gracie parked in front of Winnona.   Things look fine.


IMG_2590


And then the rain started up again – heavily.  The brown spots are ducks on the shore outside my dinette window.


IMG_2597


The rain lightened up a bit.  I went outside and got pictures and this video of the mallards who were non plussed about the whole thing. 
The water had not gotten to my neighbors picnic table or firepit.  Luckily for them, they had left yesterday.   These are all the “early on” pictures for comparison.

IMG_2598


The ducks of course thought this was fine for swimming and wading in the “shallows” up over the grass.  Not as much current.

IMG_2603

IMG_2606


Water is moving  up by 4 in the afternoon.  Notice the edge of Winnona on the right.

IMG_2614


The neighbor’s site and picnic table by 6 pm.

IMG_2615


My site by 7:30 pm

IMG_2616


The rain stopped, the river started receding, everyone thought we’d be OK and then buckets of rain fell in the middle of the night.

Moving rigs off the river front at 3:30am

PXL_20240711_075650392


They are moving all the rigs but two, me and the one on the upside from me.
These are the two highest sites on the lower part of the campground.

At the moment, the water is only an inch or two deep under Winnona.  They thought I’d be fine but said they’d move me if I wanted to.  Moving is a lot of work especially packing up in the middle of the night.   So I elected to stay hoping I would not have to move.  By the time I decided, it was dawn and I could see my situation.

PXL_20240711_080131655


In the morning on Thursday the 12th it looked like this at about 9 am. The river is freely moving over its banks, through campsites and out to the road which it is washing away.


PXL_20240711_195433216.MP


My neighbor’s site and the ones next to it had become a cut through for the river to the campground road.


PXL_20240711_220745492.MP


I’m site 15, slightly higher than this one next to me.

PXL_20240711_223331769.MP



Time for Gracie to move to higher ground.

PXL_20240711_213313733.MP



Campground road, water pretty deep for Gracie.  Glad I moved her.

PXL_20240711_195455606.MP




By late afternoon most of the sites further down from me were at the mercy of the river and the campground road was getting seriously washed out.

PXL_20240711_223249787.MP


At 6:30 my mat was under water, not deep, but the river was washing the road out.  I could probably have stayed.  My site never became a river pass through, but I elected to move because if the road got worse and things changed, I might not be stranded.


PXL_20240711_223438857.MP


They  moved me to the middle of the campground where the sites are long enough to double up.  I did not have electric or water there however.
Once I moved to this site in the middle of the campground, I was safe but muddy and the road was too deep to get any more good video of the river unfortunately.  I would have had to wade through the water and I’m not quite that dedicated.  I don’t carry rain boots.


IMG_2622



Saturday the 13th, I moved again to this site even higher up with both water and electric.


IMG_2647



Here was the view out my window as the road repairs continued in earnest. Luckily Gary is also the owner of an excavating company and has all the equipment he needs to repair what the river has done many times to the campground.
In the distance, you can see the white caps on this usually lazy river.


PXL_20240712_230106075.MP



The road in front of the campsites under repair Saturday.  The only rig that did not move was a rental that Mary and Gary own.  It is in the site next to me.  They were more confident than I.    And they were right.


Mary had to call everyone booked to come in on Friday or Saturday and cancel and refund their money.  A serious financial blow given the costs of repairing the campground.

And still, the planned Mexican Potluck went on as scheduled Saturday night.
Of course less than half of the campground had to move.  Only a dozen sites were impacted.

Since I am parked so close, I got a shot of the decorated pavilion before every got here.  Notice Winnona beyond the Mexican flag banners


Some folks came really prepared with icy margaritas.  Ole!!


PXL_20240713_210910899.MP



With the forced cancellations we didn’t have as many people but there was still a lot of food.    Though not one person attempted a Mexican dessert.


PXL_20240713_211109127.MP



From Loretta Mexican Potluck



IMG_2655



and today, I moved back to my original site 15.
An amazing job of road and site repair by Gary and the men who helped him.  As you can see from the larger rock, the road is not completely finished but enough that we can all get in and out.
The repairs continue.






Here is that same picture from the rear of Winnona taken an hour ago. 
Yes I was sitting out in my chair watching the river.
It still has white caps but the rock banks are more visible now.

You can see them in this final video of what the river looks like now.
Or at least until the next rain.


IMG_2657


Next post, back to June as I try to continue my catch up.

28 comments:

  1. Yikes! That river is seriously scary! I was worried that the ducks would go in and get swept away but it looked like they knew what they were doing. Glad you are ok! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ducks were definitely having a good time.

      Delete
  2. Wow, sorry for the trouble of packing up and moving around in circles, knowing how much that takes, especially with a soaked mat and wading through water while disconnecting electric.
    Definitely thankful you made it through safe, as well as all your equipment. A lot of water...and 3:30 am stuff is never comfy!
    The neighbors fire pit sure went under pretty fast. Looks to have receded pretty quickly though. Thanks for such a quick turnaround to give us an update! Love and appreciate ya!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River goes up a little faster than it goes down. And you're totally right packing everything up and then setting it back up and then doing it over again is a real pain in the neck.

      Delete
  3. Pretty scary stuff. Glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris good to hear from you. Hope you and Teddy are also okay.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that was a crazy adventure! Always something interesting going on in your travels. Sometimes you go and find adventures and sometimes the adventure comes to you! Glad you stayed safe (and dry) through it all. :c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really hoping we weren't gonna have rains like last summer in Vermont. But we didn't get The flooding last year so I guess It was our turn.

      Delete
  5. I was watching both ends of Beryl, as when it hit Mexico, especially Cozumel where we visit several times a year, and Vermont, where I knew you were. Glad you fared well despite having to move twice (3 times?) Hopefully the rest of your summer will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Laurie 3 moves in 4 days was a bit much packing and unpacking for me. That's why I stay in one place so I can really see it and so I don't have to pack and unpack very often. Didn't work for me this year

      Delete
  6. That poor campground takes a hit every year it seems. The good news is it means they know what to do, and when to do it, so you can feel pretty confident you'll be taken care of. And you were! Clearly it takes more than a little water to dampen margaritas and tacos - party on :-)) Yet another good reason to be there for the summer. This was a blip for you, but for vacationers it was a real bummer. Glad you and yours are safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The campground actually doesn't get hit every year but Vermont seems to have an inordinate amount of rain in July. You are right the owners know all about it and take care of us. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I had just believed them when they said it wasn't going to flood my site. Might have been worth getting no sleep just not to have to move. It was a definite bummer for those people whose reservations for the weekend got canceled.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that was scary, Sherry. I am so grateful that you made it through OK with help from the folks at your park. I guess it was a good place to be in a bad situation. Jeanne and Alan are Ok as well, with their place on Lake Champlain not hurt by the floods and their main home near Dorset high on a mountain with no rivers around, although a lot of the local roads were damaged as well. Glad all is good and I will look forward to your regular programming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear your friends are also okay even with 2 different spots. Thanks for your confidence that regular programming will be worth your something to look forward to.

      Delete
  8. Having stayed with you last summer in the site that got flooded, I'm just so glad you were in a different place this year. Those pictures are amazing. Glad you, Winnona and Gracie survived the flood!!! Hope this post goes through to you.............talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary how lovely that you are finally able to comment. You picked the wrong year to come up and missed all the flood fun. :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh, that was a nail biter, for sure!!! I would have wanted so much to trust that the site wouldn't flood, but I would have ended up moving, just as you did. It wasn't worth the risk of having your rig flooded. I'm glad you're safe, and I'm glad that you're in a place with such good people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tricky four days that's for sure. I'm wondering what you guys are up to haven't heard from you in ages. Hope the temperatures are cooler for you in North Carolina then they are for my friends in Virginia where it was 100° today and unheard of temperature so near the Blue ridge.

      Delete
  10. Wow - quite the rain event! Glad you, Gracie, and Winona made it through safe and sound. Thinking you made the right call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin. Great to see you in the comments.

      Delete
  11. You stayed a lot longer than I ever would have. When I hear hurricane, I always think of Camille and get panicky. The ducks are wonderful though - living their best life. It's very interesting that the campground owners have their own excavating company. That's the perfect marriage of two businesses if one happens to be on a river. Think of how long it would have taken had they had to hire someone. So glad it all worked out and you had a fiesta to celebrate afterwards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share Pam and really appreciate your comments. They own the excavating company before they bought the campground and it definitely makes a big difference in how they are able to weather these situations.

      Delete
  12. Eep! I would have been outta there as soon as the water started to touch the bases of the trees! (I guess that’s why I stay home…) I love your mallard clan-- they are so fun to watch. The campground owners sound like such good people; I hope their finances weren’t TOO seriously damaged by this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously made me smile to see you in the comments Laurie. I'm not sure how they would recover if they didn't own all this equipment so that all they have to pay for is gravel and dirt and that sort of thing. But they've been doing it for over 25 years.

      Delete
  13. I wondered if you got flooded. Glad you are safe and secure even though you had to move. We are here with Emma, Tim, Lewis, Nina, Richard and his wife for a week at our house. Having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you're safe. I'd have moved a whole lot sooner. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa! I knew some of this, but not all of it. Moving at 3:30 am does not sound fun and even if you didn’t have to move, you were no doubt awake thinking about whether you should move. Glad everything turned out okay and you got to enjoy tacos and return to the riverfront again. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.