Sunday, June 30, 2024

Molly’s Pond State Park

Moose River Campground                                            Most Recent Posts:
site 15                                                                       Early June-Nearby Hiking
St Johnsbury Vermont                                          The Tale of Going to Vermont



JUNE 13 Thursday

It is a beautiful morning in my wonderful life when I am able to start out first thing and drive to a quiet pond and put my boat in for a few hours of introspection.


20240613_080956

Though it is called a state park, Molly’s is mostly the pond. There is a state owned house on the far shore that appears to be available to select people to rent.  I’ve only seen a family there once when I’ve been here. The children were playing on the beach. No pictures of the house this time.  It isn’t actually visible from the water though its roof is and there is a path down to a section of sandy shore.

This is one of my favorite bodies of water for kayaking.  Never many boats if any, and only that one house.  There are boat-in campsites along the shore but they are seldom occupied either.

Otherwise it’s the dam (unfortunately) on the upper end and the rest is undeveloped shore line.


Early morning reflections are wonderful.  Mirror images.

IMG_2130




I encounter the resident pair of loons more than once in the morning.   There were several floating “don’t disturb-nesting” signs but I see neither the nest or a chick.

IMG_2138



IMG_2128



IMG_2139




Surprised and happy to find a spotted sandpiper to watch for a while.




I do see some unusual things kayaking.  What does this look like to you?  An otter?  A dog??  

IMG_2156




Since this is the largest  incoming cascade, I assume it must be the pond’s namesake.   I hear it  faintly and then louder and louder as I paddle toward it  around the pond’s edge.   The sound it makes rippling down through the trees to the pond is one I could sit and listen to for a very long time.  And I do.  I’m in no hurry.


IMG_2165





IMG_2159




IMG_2164


This link
is to a short video of what I’m calling Molly’s Falls #1.  The video isn’t great because of the sun and the camera woman but you can hear the lovely voice of the water.


This time the unusual was on the shore.    What is it?   The same dog?

IMG_2170




What do you think?   How did it get here?


IMG_2169



There are very few things I enjoy more than a quiet morning on a smooth lake.  That Vermont has so many is one of the reasons I’m finding it hard to go elsewhere for my summer.

IMG_2171



I spot the gosling first and then the entire family.

IMG_2173




I don’t think I’ve seen as many Canada Geese in this part of Vermont as I saw in Virginia when I spent my life there.



This is definitely a new one on me.  A lake with a yellow pollen bathtub ring.  With the amount of rain that has fallen in the days since this morning,  I doubt it can be seen now.  Must have been a lot of pollen.

IMG_2186




The second of the “falls” on Molly’s pond.   Notice how crystal clear the water is. 


IMG_2193



It may be tiny but the sound is beautiful just the same.   Here is a short video so you can hear it.

IMG_2194

 


Mornings like this ‘restoreth my soul’ and I remember how very lucky I am to live a life in which they are part.


IMG_2197

19 comments:

  1. We’re going with otter and then saw the dog! As to how it arrived there…. You got us! While the rain is forcing you to be inside Wynona, you’re totally caught up and keeping us all current! Great pics! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary how I wish you were right. Today's post was over 2 weeks ago, June 13, but I am going to try to pick up posting to get current.

      Delete
  2. Those images of the clear water before you, ahhh, especially the 1st one, spectacular!! The gosling is adorable. Loved the Bathtub ring analogy, you're hilarious. Finally, "He restoreth my soul"...
    Always a true one for me, amd nothing has me in awe more than being in nature, often alone particularly. Loved the tour, thanks so much Sherry, hope you enjoy, glad that you are well!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you are well too Shayne. Nature definitely restores my soul.

      Delete
  3. It looks lovely, peaceful and shallow at some parts. Love the goslings. All baby animals are appealing. The rocks are cool. It's weird but when I first looked at your paddle in the water, it looked like a light bulb or a rod for glass blowing. See if you can imagine it. The wood thing looks like a dog to me. ooooooo! The Falls! I'm happy that you are able to enjoy the water, the quiet and the birds xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "dog" on shore is actually a tree stump. I wondered if someone placed it there or if they altered it to make it more resemble a dog.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's what I love most about kayaking Lynne. No white water for me. Hope you are all well. I sent you a political query email.

      Delete
  5. Looks very relaxing and calm on that lake. Nice you still get out and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go kayaking as often as I can Tom. Usually several times a week. There are many lovely lakes and ponds here in Vermont.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet lovely morning. You don't mention bugs and I see none in your photos. That is really encouraging. I know you summer will continue to be wonderful. I am glad you found a great summer "home".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been asked about bugs before Sue and I really have never had any problem with bugs in Vermont that I recall.

      Delete
  7. So peaceful and beautiful! I saw a rock otter and wooden dog. LOVE the loons and the cute little gosling. I can imagine how pretty the falls and little rapids sounded. What a wonderful life of leisure! Such a good summer place despite the fact that it rains a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved the rock otter. Thank you so much for reminding me that I had taken videos with sound. I've added them but probably too late for most of my readers.

      Delete
  8. Your post is like a wonderful deep breath! Love the Loons and those darling goslings. I'm delighted you have this perfect pond close by. We keep hoping the rain going around us will stop by and give us a good soaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers for your rain. Molly's is a favorite pond of mine but there are many nearby which I will be writing about over the summer. Such a beautiful description Jodee. They are all like a wonderful deep breath.

      Delete
  9. So lovely, love the crystal clear water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vermont has done a wonderful job of protecting its lakes and ponds. The clear water is always so beautiful to see.

      Delete
  10. Just back from a cruise. Read all your posts and responded to the one about the alternator and when I hit publish it disappeared. :c(
    Glad you made it to VT to enjoy its wonderful sights.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.