Thursday, July 18, 2024

Lower Symes Pond-Fabulous Sounds

June 21, 2024                                                         Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                  Fast Forward to the FLOOD
St. Johnsbury Vermont                                       The Fairbanks Museum




IMG_2258Returning to where I’d left off in my chronological postings, I’ve flown backwards from the flood which thankfully is over and the river has receded.  The link to that post is above.

June 21st was a beautiful Friday with gorgeous temperatures in the 70’s so I set off early for Lower Symes Pond which I have not been to before.  No idea where these ponds get their names but I suppose Symes was someone and lower must mean there is an upper though I can’t find it.  You can see Tootsie (my kayak) down at the bottom of the ramp.  I wanted to remember the layout and parking.  Not sure I’ll be here next year but just in case.



IMG_2259


I had tried to find this pond last year and ended up going down a very narrow road where Ruby bottomed out and I backed out.  This time I asked google maps for Lower Symes Pond ACCESS which I learned this year will take me to the boat ramp for the ponds rather than just down some road that goes near it.


I was thrilled to see the loons and chick.  They are a big draw for kayaking in Vermont. 



IMG_2266


I was lucky enough to get this video of one of the loons calling.  I love its echo.

Use this link to see and hear it.   It was the highlight of the day.




IMG_2270Flowering lily pads are lovely and they create habitat for fish. Areas covered in lilies are less likely to have algae blooms because the surface coverage blocks sunlight needed for algae to grow.  However extensive lily cover can reduce the exchange of oxygen at the water surface. This oxygen is vital to all aquatic life. Water lilies also attract mosquitoes and aphids.   They spread very seriously and are difficult to paddle through.  I guess everything may have its pluses and minuses.


IMG_2273



I heard many birds but saw few and got even fewer good pictures.  I did get the Red-winged Blackbird singing, though not a great shot, and the Eastern Kingbird perching.







There was no rain predicted for today so I was surprised when the clouds came over and the drops started.  I was too far from the boat ramp and didn’t really want to leave so I took a chance that it was just a passing shower and pulled over under a spruce tree which kept me pretty dry.  That is a raindrop on my lens.

IMG_2300



When the rain finished I paddled closely around the marshy edges of the pond looking at the plant life growing there in addition to the lilies.

IMG_2304



IMG_2305



IMG_2307



I just love these plants with their red raspberry color.  I am pretty sure I have posted pictures of them before but I cannot for the life of me remember their name.

IMG_2311


This tall beauty was abundant but I have no idea what it is.


IMG_2315



I absolutely love finding the tiny Venus Flytrap.   The are so hard to spot that I am always excited when I do.  And then of course once I do, I see them again and again.



IMG_2321



Mostly I had to be right on top of them to get a picture since they were hidden in the surrounds.  This was the only place they were fairly easily photographed.

IMG_2319



Most of the ponds I’ve kayaked in Vermont have Loons and many have Beaver lodges  How do they get it stacked up so high.

IMG_2327



Pretty sure this is a Swamp Rose.  Its pink petals stand out in the green.

IMG_2332



IMG_2333



When looking closely in the marshy area for perhaps Pitcher Plans,  I was surprised to see these shell piles nearly hidden in the foliage.  Wish I knew what they indicated.

IMG_2339



It was a a lovely day on Lower Symes with wonderful birds and flowers.

IMG_2340



On the way home, I stopped at an overlook for the view.  It was the gray clouds that kept the temperatures so lovely today so I’m happy for them.


PXL_20240621_155228292.MP

19 comments:

  1. That 2nd picture on the water, my, oh my....I'm jealous, that's gorgeous!! Also really liked the one under the spruce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a gorgeous post full of gorgeous photos. Loved all the flowers and water and blessed rain. It is a delight to read on a hot day in mid July. So I did read it all and was wondering why you called it a bloat post. Maybe an auto correct? I thought maybe you thought it was bloated for too many photos but that definitely wasn't the case, so I am going with auto correct. That last photo looks so incredibly inviting iwth the green mountains, the sumac and the wonderful summer clouds. Sigh. Pretty sure you would dry up and not be happy coming out west in the heat and dryness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I'm glad you liked the photos. I laughed out loud at bloat post. A serious proofreading error but very funny. I was in a hurry obviously. My memory of coming out west is that it wasn't always hot and dry but you are right that though I really really want to go back to the SW, I know I could never live there. I just have to figure out where to be when. I'm so familiar with the everything east of the Mississippi that I know when to go where. If I could just figure out where to be in June July and August in the west, I'd be on my way. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful pond, and well done on the loons! I was glad to see the mussel shells...one thing I know that means is that there is good water in that pond. Used to be lots of mussels around here (TX) but agricultural runoff plus factors the biologists aren't sure about has led to a marked decline. My guess is a raccoon has been eating them there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judith thank you so much for the information about the meaning of the mussle shells. I really appreciate it. So nice to see you in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always love your flower pictures. Water lilys especially. Too bad they can be so invasive. Ahh, that Loon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie. I think the same thing about water lilies - beautiful but.....

      Delete
  6. The two lily pads with a beautiful reflection was my so great. . .my fave. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Janice. Haven't heard from you in a while. Would love to know what you two are doing.

      Delete
  7. you do such a beautiful job taking all these photos!! Especially enjoy the flowers! I listened to the Loons on the link provided and they are magical! Loved the mother loon and baby....how lucky you were to have seen them. Looks like next week is going to be good weather in Vermont, so enjoy more hiking and kayaking while you can!! This is Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just makes me smile to see you in the comments. Magical is the word for Loons and lucky is the word for me. Thanks for signing.

      Delete
  8. The baby loon riding on the mother's back is so cute. I wonder if they ride on their father's backs? Their call is beautiful. The flower pictures are great. I particularly like the first pink flower with the raindrops on it. I guess the beavers stand on each others shoulders and fling the logs on the top of their lodge!@#! "It was a lovely day" picture. I thought those were three misshapen rocks until I realized that it was openings in the foliage. Keep on having fun! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your visualizing the beavers on each others shoulders. Great image Pam. Made me laugh. Thanks. Not sure which rocks picture you are referring to. The one near the end is just rocks on the shore with their reflections in the still water.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for this post, Sherry. Every picture is a new delight. It looks like the perfect paddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you Pam. Hope things are cooling off for you. Few of the ponds in Vermont disappoint. You are too kind about the pictures.

      Delete
  10. Tremendously pretty pictures here and I got to learn about water lilies and hear my favorite bird call. Love the loons!! Also love the various flowers and that last, very Vermont looking view. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love when you take us paddling, especially seeing Loons. The plant life creates a fine balance. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today it will only let me comment anon !!! Glad you are enjoying the summer and finding some new hiking spots . In so happy to be out of the Florida heat , my main excitement is going down to Lake Michigan at sunset and hearing taps as the sun fades into the water. Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.