Friday, August 9, 2024

July Before the First Flood

July 1 – 8, 2024                                                        Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                 Second Flood Is Worse
St Johnsbury Vermont                                       Peacham and Miles



Recently, I’ve posted out of chronological order so I could share the flooding going on in real time..  I covered  the first flood which happened on July 11,  then I went back to the June posts I had been doing and was able to finish up June before posting about the second flood.  Its link is above.   So now back to the beginning of July before the second flood. 

Is that clear as the mud that is still everywhere?

Even with the amazing amount of rain before, between and after the floods,  I’ve been able to get out and about selectively.  It has rained all summer long which has made trails difficult so I have not been enjoying as much hiking as I had hoped. 

KAYAKING

As you will see here, mostly I’ve been kayaking to the lakes and ponds I can get to given the washed out roads and the repair work going.   Mostly I’ll let the pictures tell the story.   Tell me which are your favorites.


JULY 1st  SHADOW LAKE

Shadow Lake is really convenient at only 8 miles away.    Merlin told me there were an amazing number of birds most of which I could not see.  American Redstart, Goldfinch, Red Winged Blackbird, Song Sparrow, Red eyed Vireo, Hermit Thrush, Raven, Least Flycatcher, Cedar Waxwing, Chipping Sparrow, Red Bellied Sapsucker, House Wren, Common Yellow Throat and Northern Parula.  Thanks to Merlin, I’m getting better at sound id and was able to pick out 6 of these.  Not great but a good start I thought.


Beautiful female mallard

IMG_2476



IMG_2483



Based on the bill, I think this is a Common Merganser family



IMG_2495






Fishing Loon

IMG_2514




IMG_2524



Lake Toys – Look like fun!

PXL_20240701_145034317.MP


PXL_20240701_145022471.MP



Still looking lovely as I drive away from the ramp, my morning over.

PXL_20240701_155332933.MP



JULY  3  JOB’S POND

Job’s Pond is 32 miles away and was a serious favorite of Brenda and Tom who were full timers here last summer but have moved to Tennessee.   They went many times.  I’ve only been twice.


IMG_2534




The water is so clear in nearly all of the ponds and lakes that I’ve been to.  So interesting to see how large the rocks really are.  I’d never guess if I could only see the part above the water. 

IMG_2548



There are very few houses on the lake.  This one using what I assume is local stone is my favorite. 



IMG_2555



PXL_20240703_131458863.MP




JULY 8  EWELL POND


It was foggy this Monday morning when I drove 17 miles to spend the morning on Ewell Pond with the loons.

20240708_091319



Once the fog burned off, I took a side trip down this narrowing tributary.

20240708_091950



20240708_092209



Returning back to the main pond.  Vermont amazes me in what it terms a pond or a lake.  It seems totally a flip of the coin.

20240708_092418



The loons in the distance.

20240708_092532




Mostly I love kayaking because I love being on the water and seeing the wildlife.   If I spend too much time quietly watching, I don’t get much exercise.  I hope you can see the little loon chick.

20240708_092545




20240708_093141



So amazingly clear.  The dry top of the rock looks so different than the submerged section.  I guess if the lake were lower it would all be white.  Pretty sure this is granite.  Vermont is very very rocky.

20240708_094013



It was like being in a wonderland.   Which way is up?

20240708_094433



PXL_20240708_130713594.MP




INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEK-END CELEBRATION

Back at the campground, Gary, the owner with his wife Mary, brought out his antique tractors.  There is a gray one behind these two.




Gary repainted both of these this year.   They are working tractors when necessary. 



This is Norman.  He and his wife Carmen are work campers here.  Norman is 84 years old and has the most wonderful Vermont accent.  You can see Winnona behind him.


IMG_2563



Isn’t this a wonderful face??

IMG_2564



Norman’s wife Carmen is the caller for Bingo.  She has one of those spinning drums for the number balls.   She’s hard to see because of the back lighting.

PXL_20240706_180421923.MP



Bingo is a dollar a game for as many cards as you want to play.  If you win, you get half of what was collected.  The other half goes to the local animal shelter.   So the most you can lose is $9.  That’s my kind of gambling.  But  I won twice so I came out ahead for the day.  No wonder I like Bingo.


PXL_20240706_180453464.MP



Mary and Gary provided Roast Beef and the rest was potluck.   SO much food.  Look closely at the cakes and cookies…Yummmmmm

PXL_20240706_211536437.MP



PXL_20240706_211543762.MP



Yes, I ate way too much.  This place is dangerous.  They have a potluck and bingo every month.

PXL_20240706_211518943.MP

This takes me up to the first flood on July 11 about which I’ve already posted.  After that, we thought the worst was over.  Next post is about the days between the two floods.

When you comment, Please check and see if blogger has irritatingly made you anonymous.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, such a nice change and contrast after the 2 floods. I still say it makes it all worth it. Really love that one you mentioned being like a wonderland, such a cool photo, also the 2nd one with the weeds around you - so cool, thanks Sherry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Shayne all this took place before the first flood. I'm just posting about it out of order.

      Delete
  2. I love the kayaking and the ponds. The pot luck looks interesting as well, but as you said, dangerous. All is well here but unlike you I haven't yet written about the month of July and August is passing me by. Hopefully I can get to it pretty darn soon. And so glad that you made it through the floods unscathed, although the rain must be tiresome. Here the constant heat, 12 percent humidity, dry grasses and bone dry soils are quite tiresome as well. We get a cloud or two sometimes in the evening but only lightning in the mountains which starts fires. No rain here since mid May. I could use some of your rain. Why does it have to be all or nothing??? Makes me tired. Oh well. I managed to comment this time around, although reading and commenting has dwindled to maybe two blogs, yours and Janna's. And of course Al, since we do have to keep track of Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great comment Sue. Thanks so much for the information on your part of the world. I do wish we could swap. I'll send you some rain, you send me some dry. I am quite honored that I'm one you comment on. I'm sad that I have lost touch with so many of my previous commenters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee! I'm not anonymous now like last post :c)
    Love those tractors, my brother has restored one too. They sure don't make em like they used to, a farmer could actually fix one without all kinds of computer test stuff. Oldies, but goodies. No wonder Norman was smiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is so aggravating. I thought you would like those tractors Paul. I put them up for you and David who would have loved them.

      Delete
  5. Glad you were able to get out a little with all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there's this much rain I take every possible advantage to get out and do something. But this post was about the days between floods.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. I'm glad you like them. I bet you are enjoying the Alaska weather now.

      Delete
  7. Oooooo all the lakes! My favorite picture is the mallard at Shadow Lake. Love the turtle! I'd never heard of a Merganser duck. There was a lot of grass to paddle through. Job's pond- huge rocks to navigate around. I once got stuck on a big rock! Ewell Pond is very clear- love all the green and the pines in the background. The cloud picture is worthy of a frame as is the waterlily. Such clear pictures! Glad you're able to kayak despite the rain and mud! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, you make me glad I post so many pictures since you look at them so carefully. Love you.

      Delete
  8. Such lovely pictures, especially the reflective ones. Air must be crystal clear after the rains!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks idyllic, Sherry. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful places to spend the day!! So glad you have had some good weather in between the rain and mud to enjoy VT!! Mary on Mason

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like anywhere you paddle! ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.