Sunday, August 4, 2024

Second Flood is Worse

July 31 – August 4, 2024                                           Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                         Peacham and Miles
St Johnsbury, Vermont            Hiking a Vermont Forest and NH Mountains


You will see why my efforts to catch up have been thwarted over this past week. This post is current.  I am creating it today, August 4.


THE SECOND FLOOD IN THREE WEEKS

Before the 2nd Flood  everything was drying out, repairs were under way and things were getting back to normal and then. . . .


Before FloodI’m not even going to try to narrate this fiasco.  I’ll just say that on July 30 there was no prediction of rain – 14%- but the deluge dropped 8” in 3 hours in the middle of the night.  They had just gotten everything repaired this very day. 

Then at 2am, they drove around blaring horns and saying bring valuables and we will ferry you to the office which they did.    The water was so deep no one without at least knee boats could walk.

No one was hurt, no rigs were damaged.  My car had water up to the rocker panels before it was moved to higher ground.

Here are the pictures I took in the days after the fact when the water had receded somewhat.

The river came up over its banks this time too but the real problem was so much rain in such a short period of time and the state had not cleaned out the culvert under the road behind the campground so all the debris rushed over the road and down the hill bringing all the mud from the opposite side.  River rising on one side, water rushing down hill with mud and debris from the other.


Water from the river – mud from the hillside.

PXL_20240730_092211293.MP


PXL_20240730_092226987.MP



Wash out created a waterfall.

PXL_20240730_092316201



PXL_20240730_092357660.MP



Winnona hanging on.

PXL_20240730_093601861.MP



Gary came with a tractor and pulled this rig to higher ground.  You can see the river just behind it.

PXL_20240730_093652103.MP



Mud everywhere even as the water recedes.

PXL_20240730_104314272.MP



PXL_20240730_104458906.MP



River behind Winnona

PXL_20240730_110145025.MP



Some grass still there at this point but the mat is covered in mud.


PXL_20240730_110940509.MP



Site entrance washing out.    One truck still there.  Gracie’s parking spot is a pool.

PXL_20240730_110955930.MP



A 3 gallon bucket filled with rain.

PXL_20240730_111342203.MP



Remember these shots when you see the ones from today.

PXL_20240730_193446665.MP



PXL_20240730_193649648.MP



Road to lower campground blocked off – too muddy.

PXL_20240730_193722098.MP



View out my door.  Mud everywhere.

PXL_20240731_133336725.MP



There is no way out of my rig that isn’t through the mud.  At this point the only shoes I can use are closed toed oOfos.   Roads are closed all around us.   Ultimately I can get out to get high boots but I have to take the interstate around 12 miles to get to St Johnsbury which is 3 miles away by the usual roads.


PXL_20240731_134406820.MP


Did I mention the mud?

PXL_20240731_134626088.MP



There’s even mud on the picnic tablecloth.

PXL_20240731_135955489.MP



Gary trying to repair around my entrance.

flood (1)


On Friday I went out and got boots, a tarp to put over the mud so I could get into the rig without bringing the mess all in with me.


20240803_163839

Everything was looking somewhat better.   And then………………..as I type this…


As I am putting this blog together today, August 4, out of nowhere on a hot 85 degree and 71% humid day, another deluge . These pictures were taken out my front window and entry door. 

Road turning to river AGAIN.  Lawn turning to lake as it rains on.   Piles of gravel and dirt for repairs washing away AGAIN.  

20240804_151630



20240804_151702



Hoping it will lighten up and allow me to move Gracie AGAIN to higher ground.

20240804_151717



My mud protection goes under water.   Those are my boots.  I bought those  to deal with the tons of mud.


20240804_152419



TALL boots – taking no chances.

20240804_152437



I am SO SICK of RAIN!

PXL_20240804_191822801.MP

23 comments:

  1. What a time of it all for you Sherry. You’ve done circles around Noah and it’s still going. Sigh… so tough to stay positive and upbeat especially knowing how you thrive when you hike and kayak. Ugh ugh ugh. Holding you close in thought and sunshine 🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary for the sunshine thoughts. So many people have too much heat not enough rain I'd be happy to send some their way

      Delete
  2. Oh man! I'm so sorry for you wet issues, a mere understatement at this point! Hoping for dry weather for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just hoping for no more floods. Thanks for the comment Laurie.

      Delete
  3. Wow, so sorry for all of this rain - "Muddy and wet in Vermont"...
    Just to be sure, are you sure you're not actually parked UNDER a waterfall???
    The tarp seems like a great idea as a temporary solution, at least until it continued. Cleaning the rug isn't fun, although the new mats look nice. So sorry, we definitely empathize with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Shayne. Two floods is definitely two too many. I've always loved waterfalls but after this summer I'm not so sure.

      Delete
  4. I can’t believe all with which you have had to contend Wonder if you should get some Damp rid packages at Lowe’s to get rid of some of the moisture Take care Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking I may need to buy a dehumidifier Jackie but thanks for the thought about damp rid.

      Delete
  5. Sigh, your rain looks so unpleasant. We just went thru a wind shear of 80mph gusts in Omaha Nebraska a few days ago. RVing is a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real toss up John between a flood and a wind shear of 80 miles per hour. Did your rig get sand blasted?. RVing is definitely an adventure.

      Delete
  6. Oh Sherry....that is an insane amount of rain! You're obviously doing doing your best to cope, but what a mess! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sympathy Laurel. It is definitely a muddy mess. Would love to know what you all have been doing and you're sweet little house.

      Delete
  7. Oh Sherry, so sorry you have had to deal with this over and over! We wish we had some rain because we are in a pretty bad drought. I hope this is the end of this for you. Sounds like everyone helps out which is nice. Keep you spirits up. At least you are safe and no real damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne I would definitely send you a great deal of this rain if I possibly could because I know you need it. I am very happy that I am safe and there really has been no real damage just a lot of mess.

      Delete
  8. Better keep your kayak handy in case you need it as a lifeboat! What a mess. Hope you don't get any more rain from the Hurricane Debby moving in. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossing my fingers that Debbie doesn't get all the way up here. We really don't need that. Sorry Blogger made you anonymous.

      Delete
  9. Send some of that rain to San Marcos. Our river is dried up, the lakes are at or below 50% full and we are in a severe drought. So sorry the rain has inundated you. What a mess. How much longer is your stay there? Maybe it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like everybody but me could use some of this rain. Wish I could send it. I can't even imagine a dried up river; ours and all the ones near by are up to or over their banks. Here until after Lboor Day.

      Delete
  10. Having seen this lovely campground, it just breaks my heart to see it like this :( My thoughts and prayers to Mary and Gary [the owners] in hopes they can survive this summer of rain. Unfortunately, more may be on the way from Debbie!! Stay safe and stay dry. Mary on Mason

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugg Debbie. These pictures do mean more to you Mary than to probably any of my other readers. I'm very worried about what 2 floods this summer will mean to the owners of the campground. Only buildings are insured by flood insurance the destruction to the sites and the roads are not covered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMWow!!! I've had less rain during monsoon in Arizona. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela and Thomas MooreSeptember 1, 2024 at 10:27 AM

    Hello Sherry, It was so nice meeting you at the campground last week. Such a beautiful place (after the mess you have been through) The pictures you posted in your blog are really amazing. Now by seeing those, we know exactly what you were talking about.
    The best of luck on your journey-maybe we could meet up in Maine somewhere next year. Thank you for your time with us at Moose River.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talk about a muddy mess! Walking through it would likely be slippery! Falling down in it, a disaster. Cute boots! Sitting at your picnic table would have been impossible.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.