Saturday, August 17, 2024

First Days After the First Flood

July 14-22, 2024                                                            Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                       July Before the First Flood
St Johnsbury, Vermont                                             Second Flood is Worse



These rainy pictures hark all the way back to our first day back in site 15 after having moved twice because of the first flood.   These are taken out Winnona’s front window.  It’s raining again.  Gracie is the only car left.   Poor Gary is trying to repair the road in the rain.



PXL_20240715_112825530.MP



PXL_20240715_114458264.MP



Luckily this rain wasn’t torrential and the next day was dry.  After 5 days of being stuck and displaced  I was able to get out and do some kayaking.  No hiking – too muddy.



PXL_20240715_151720025 Can you even imagine what would possess someone to name a pond Ticklenaked?
I couldn’t either and was unable to find any research to explain it except the guess that it was an Indian word mispronounced by Europeans.   Not sure I could buy a house on this road and have to write it as my address on everything.



It was a nice morning on a small 55 acre pond.



There is a campground on the shore of the pond and it looks like all the rigs are permanent summer spots for people

IMG_2661



IMG_2662



As I paddled by two boys were fishing and another two were swimming.  It looks like a very nice family get away spot which will create great memories for everyone.


IMG_2674






I didn’t see much wildlife, a kingfisher and a goldfinch both too fast for photographsI heard other birds and saw unusual for me pink water lilies.



The lilies I usually see are white.




This boat was under contract by the lake association to do  clean up.  I forget exactly what but algae I assume.   It was a big floating vacuum.


IMG_2678



I saw the loons several times but they were up for 10 seconds and underwater for minutes.   After about an hour and a half I was able to get this one lone picture.  A morning on the water is always wonderful and excellent exercise but this is probably the only visit to Ticklenaked I will make.

IMG_2681



Back home, the Moose River had calmed and was looking lovely.  This shot is taken from the top of the campground looking down toward my site which isn’t visible from here. As you can see the river is still at the top of its banks.

20240716_083004



Because of the recent flood and all the roads that were out and the muddy trails, I mostly found ponds I could get to for kayaking.

On Thursday I went to Newark Pond.  The wonderful weather was such a delight.

 

IMG_2683



Fishing is hugely popular on all Vermont’s lakes and ponds.   What a great painting on what I assume is a garage or shed at one of the lake front houses.

IMG_2684



I wonder what happens to this house in all the rain and flooding.

IMG_2685



At the beginning of my paddle several kingfishers were flashing by. Zooming this way and that.  I was surprised at so many and even more surprised that I was able to get pictures of them. In  this video I was able to float right by until he decided I was just too close and went flying of chattering.   Take a look and listen.


IMG_2687



I like to hug the shore line on my first trip around a lake.

IMG_2702



Later I often paddle non stop from end to end across the middle for the exercise.

IMG_2706



I had several hitchhikers today.

IMG_2712



For a dragonfly this guy was big.

IMG_2713



Such a small island in the middle of the lake.

IMG_2720



Around it the water is shallow and filled with rocks.  I wonder if they are all exposed in dryer conditions and you cannot paddle near the island.


On the way back from Newark I pulled over at this double free library with a convenient pull out along side the road.   This is the first one I have found outside of a town or village.


PXL_20240718_161641338



Both were quite filled with books.

PXL_20240718_161626911



My last stop was for an early dinner late lunch at Anthony’s Diner which is an institution in St Johnsbury to which I have never been.

PXL_20240718_170158294.MP



Typical diner.

PXL_20240718_170518014.MP



I ordered a mushroom and swiss burger with fries.  It was nothing special and I wished I had asked the folks at Moose River why Anthony’s was so popular.

PXL_20240718_172548390.MP



On Saturday I was able to get back to the Farmer’s Market where I was saddened to hear that a number of the venders had been badly hurt by the flood.   Farmers are definitely at the mercy of the weather.


20240720_092758



As you can read, this vendor lost most of their crops and today had only tomatoes.   Normally their stall is one of the largest with the most variety.

20240720_092417



Smaller stands had a few more things.

20240720_092434



Wish I had brought some of those cheery sunflowers home with me.  And look at those carrots.  I wonder if the flooding made them easier to pull and clean.


20240720_09245220240720_092558




It always surprises me to find this Jamaican food stand in northern Vermont.  I’ve tried several things in the past and found it’s a bit too spicy for me but it is very popular.

20240720_092715



From there I was walking to the Fairbanks Planetarium when I saw this woman pull into a parking lot and had to stop and ask about her fantastic motorcycle.


20240720_095909



20240720_100013

She told me it’s a Ural and they are the leading maker of sidecar motorcycles.  She also said there is someone nearby in New Hampshire who refurbishes them and she bought this for $6000. 

I’m in love.   She uses it for grocery shopping and taking her grandson hiking and to the movies.  Pretty sure she’s the most popular granny around.   What a stroke of luck to be walking by when she pulled up.







At the Fairbanks Museum, I took the beautiful staircase up to the planetarium and saw the first show of the day which was a nature program about Alaska.


20240720_101809



Among the things they showed was this tundra buggy which I recognized from a trip David and I had taken to Churchill Manitoba Canada to see the polar bears.

The buggy travels over ice and snow but in Churchill nobody gets out of the buggy. Not in Polar Bear country.  But the bears often come up to it and are tall enough to look in the windows.   What a great trip that was.  So happy for the memories.

20240720_104325



After the first program I went outside to visit the Butterfly House while I waited for the second Planetarium Program on tonight’s sky.


20240720_110544



20240720_110554



Butterflies and caterpillars were everywhere.


20240720_110740




20240720_110753


20240720_111131


20240720_111328


20240720_112356

 


Back inside the talk on tonight’s sky was very interesting though I am not a person who has ever been able to connect these stars into anything that looks like a constellation to me.   The white cloudy area is the milky way.  How cool is that?


20240720_113710




20240720_114014


Not sure what the black thing sitting in front of our seats and sticking up into the picture is

20240720_114133




On Sunday of the week after the flood,  I went up to the music program that Dog Mountain has every week.  These programs are free, very popular and draw big crowds which I’m not usually wanting to be part of but this group I really wanted to see perform.  So I went up early to hike the trails and get a parking space.

Wildflowers were in bloom on the trails outside the woods.




By 4:30 people had begun to fill in for the concert by  Albannach.  This Scottish pipe and drums band has played at Dog Mountain for the past several years and I had seen them last year though the concert had to be relocated due to last year’s flood.  This year it was held outside where such a group belongs.   If you’ve never heard them.  Click the link above to listen.

They make a BIG sound.  Perhaps you’ve seen them at Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina or at Scottish Games.   I’m sitting about half way back.


IMG_2738



The band consists of a bagpipe, 3 drummers and lately a digeridoo player.  The latter is a new and somewhat odd Australian addition to a Scottish “warrior” band.




The front man and personality of the band is bass drummer Jamsie Johnston on the right.

IMG_2740



Jackie Holland is the bass rhythm drummer and traditional ballad singer.



They fill the mountains with sound.



I don’t think this is what is usually meant by the blue haired old ladies.



Albannach draws all kinds including those with Irish wolf hounds.


No wonder enemies of the Scotts were intimidated by the warrior bands even if they were smiling.   Jamsie is the leader of the pack and he makes everyone smile and have a great time.    Do go see them if you get a chance.

IMG_2775


As you can see, I filled these 7 days after 5 days of displacement and confinement from the flood  with about as much as I could.

16 comments:

  1. I will go back on my computer and look at the pictures later, but I did have to mention Albannach. Had seen them many times at the PA rennaisance Faire. I believe you mentioned them in a post before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have mentioned them before Laurie. I saw them here last year but indoors which was way too loud.

      Delete
  2. Ticklenaked pond, wow...
    That Campground on the water is pretty sweet! Crazy how the kids fishing (as you said) are creating some of the most memorable moments they'll have, while not even realizing it. Unfortunately it's become unpopular in this generation with so many on phones, watching TV or playing computer games. So great to see, thanks Sherry...
    I loved, loved, loved the Urai, such cool bikes. I always live your perspective, insight and thoughts, like if the rain made the carrots easier to pull and clean. The rest of us just see tasty 🥕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Meant to type)
      "URAL" motorcycles... &
      "LOVE" your perspectives...

      Delete
    2. I know these things about carrots Shayne because in my former life I had a huge organic garden from which David and I grew all our food. Your comments are so wonderful. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Ticklenaked sure is an odd name. Beautiful spot with folks making some memories. Love the kingfisher picture and the pictures of Albanauch. I know you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing so many kingfishers. Glad I could share one with you. Albannach always makes me think of your dad.

      Delete
  4. That Ural motorcycle is a Russian brand patterned after the German Army unit. Seems the Russians took a liking to the BMW manufacturer after WW2 and took back to Russian all the tools and machinery to make them as war reparations. You look great on that machine; you absolutely must get one. ;c)
    Paul (Don't know why I'm anonymous again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known you would know all about the Ural Paul. Thanks for sharing. Just sitting on it was great fun.

      Delete
  5. I'd say you're keeping quite busy, besides the flooding and mud. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After being stuck for so many days, it was good to get out Gaelyn.

      Delete
  6. love all the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know of a butterfly house near you Diane. I could sit in there all day, especially in the rain.

      Delete
  7. Sure does look like you are having fun in spite of the rain and floods. Yay for you. Cracked me up seeing you on that motorcycle, somehow it isn't something I would associate with you. Blue hair? I see that a lot, blue and pink and purple. In spite of my white hair I refuse to get caught up in the blue hair craze. I guess I remember the bluing that my grandmother put on her hair, hence the blue haired old lady thing. LOL. Hope your August is a bit better than July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David had a Harley and I wasn't a big fan. But this Ural looked like lots of fun with the side car. Little ole' blue haired ladies is what I remember too Sue.

      Delete
  8. I wish our farmers' market had the variety and abundance as those you're enjoying - beautiful!! Love the delicate pink lily, like a little gift after all the days of indoor living. I'm envious of all your adventures in that beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.