Thursday, June 27, 2024

Early June–Nearby Hiking

June 6-11, 2024                                                          Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                                The Tale of Going to Vermont
Site 15                                                            A Fun Birthday and Heading North
St Johnsbury, Vermont



June 6  Dog Mountain


Dog Mountain, a 150 acre leash free dog retreat,  is the closest set of hiking trails to Moose River.  Even though I don’t have a dog at this point in my life,  I joined “The Pack”  buying an annual membership to support this wonderful place.

I now plan to come once a week to hike the same trails and  see the changes in the flowers and birds as summer moves along. 

I park in the lot and hike up the connecting trail to Blue, turn left to yellow turn left onto yellow.  Then I go down Pink, back up yellow to do the section I missed by going down pink and then over to the  Angel Dog overlook and back up and around.   About 10K steps and 4.9 miles.

This is my first hike here this summer.




The ferns are lush.  With all the rain, no wonder.

IMG_2075



The summer wildflowers are already in bloom.



IMG_2083




Not too muddy YET but boards are in place.  Plan on muddy dog paws though.



I have heard that this spring was early in Vermont.  It was uncustomarily warm in the beginning of April.  As a result, I have found that nearly all the ephemeral wildflowers had come and gone by the time I arrived in early June.

This one False Solomon's Seal is all I found.  Last time I found pink ladyslipper on this trail.


IMG_2090

 

IMG_2089





The Angel Dog of Dog Mountain. 

You have to have read founder artist Stephen Huneck’s books.


IMG_2105



I feel lucky not to have missed the lupines blooming.





IMG_2116



It’s a special place.  More pictures on future on future visits.

IMG_2118




June 7  Lamoille Valley Rail Trail


Another nearby hike is the beginning of the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail which starts in St. Johnsbury and runs 93 miles to Swanton.  It is the longest rail trail in New England and connects 18 towns.  It is open for walking, hiking, cycling, horseback riding, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, dogsledding, and snowmobiling each in its appropriate season.

Last year I found several ephemerals including Jack in the Pulpit at this same time.  But not this year.  Again I am too late.   The summer flowers are in bloom, wild phlox and daisies in specific.


20240607_114850



20240607_115228



20240607_115624



20240607_120329



I’m here on a Friday-day morning and see no one walking or biking.

IMG_2119



Crossing over this bridge, I do see someone down by the river.

IMG_2120




June 8  The Clock Surprise

I love the cast iron street clock at the corner of Main Street and Eastern Avenue across from the beautiful Library.  Once an inside clock, for the last 100 years the clock has rested on its concrete pedestal outdoors, watching everything from horse-drawn buggies to electric cars pass through St. Johnsbury. It is really a town project as volunteers and fundraisers keep it ticking.

I walk by it often and on this day I was coming back from my usual route along the beautiful houses with a stop at the labyrinth when it started raining AGAIN.  As I moved quickly up the street to my car, I saw time fly.   I’m so glad I thought to zoom in on the clock face from a distance.    Take a look at this video of what surprised me.    In the video, look closely at the clock face, the darkness of the rain makes it hard to see.


Life From The Roots: Sep 6, 2017


It was one of the volunteers winding and resetting the clock but it sure surprised me since at first I didn’t see him  I jut saw the clock hands running fast forward.



RAIN

I’m very lucky I was able to get out for the two hikes I’ve talked about and a short buzz around town since 4 out of  the last 7 days it has rained and I’ve been inside looking out.

20240609_082028



The clouds do make for some lovely sunsets also out my window.

20240609_202312



June 11  Observatory Knob 


20240611_134116

All my hiking for the first week was nearby since I could never count on a dry day. Observatory Knob is the highest point in St Johnsbury and people have been hiking up it since the 1880’s.    It once hosted an observatory from which it gets its name but the original one was destroyed by winds in 1894 and its replacement was destroyed in 1914.    I guess they gave up at that point.

The knob is owned by the town now after the Vermont Land Trust saved it from sale in 2020. 


It’s pretty much a straight up hike through woodland and open fields.



20240611_134906




At the top is a bench installed by longtime neighbor (since 1966)  David Brown, who added the mailbox with a logbook for hikers to make notes.  He permits the  trail system to continue behind the bench and down onto his own property.


20240611_140256



The views from the bench of Burke Mountain, Mount Pisgah and Mount Hor are beautiful even with a sky full of clouds.

20240611_140532



20240611_140544



You can return back down after enjoying the views or continue the hike behind the bench to another down up trail across the Brown property.


20240611_141855



20240611_142012



But either way, this is the trail down Observatory Knob.   The same one you climbed up.  I’d advise long pants and your socks over your cuffs through the grass.

20240611_145542


I hope this milkweed will be in bloom when I return and the monarchs will have found it.


20240611_145802


I love that there are such great places so nearby to get my daily hiking exercise.

14 comments:

  1. Sherry… you had me out of the gate with the “ Leash free dog retreat” How fabulous is that! Hope you meet lots of four legged friends during your stay up there in St. Johnsbury! This is my favorite entry so far with photographs that are just stunning! Loving the nature, and then there’s the clock story! Your daily hiking/exercise is full of great sights, sounds, and wonderment! Good work here! 👏👏👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moose River Campground is VERY dog friendly as well. Thanks so much for your wonderful compliments Mary. I'm so glad you enjoy reading. I certainly enjoy your comments.

      Delete
  2. Sunny & high 60s in Denali. We are camping between guests. No nice historical buildings like you are enjoying.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm swooning over the idea of seeing Denali. If I could only figure out how to I can afford to spend a summer in Alaska. I don't think I'd want to try the trip alone with Winnona

      Delete
  3. Some very nice detailed photos.
    Colorful sky photo is great, but man I love the clock! Thanks Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Shayne. so glad you liked the clock. It was a real shock at first.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely place. So glad that I can at least see the photos on my computer. No clue why it is impossible on the phone. Maybe something about bandwidth when I am travleing, who knows. Still, Vermont is a very green, moist, lush, soft place. Jeanne says there are a lot of bugs and a lot of humidity, even in the mountains, but that doesn't seem to bother you much, especially at a river site where there is always the lovely sound of water to keep you company. So glad you are landed for a time, with the opportunity for less lonliness, more social life and it sounds like a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so loyal to go to your computer to see the pictures Sue. Thank you. The phone problem is not you. It is the fight between Blogger and google. Vermont is VERY green. Consistent showers and if hot, it is humid but otherwise I don't notice it. I actually obviously like the summer weather here and am SO glad to be here and not where it is in the 90's or flooding.

      Delete
  5. I love Vermont so much. The foliage is stunning. So nice they have a leash free dog trail. Can't imagine Cooper being able to go that far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really wonderful place for dogs and their owners. I know you and Cooper would love it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful places! Love Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on up Roger, the campground has a rental cabin and two rental RVs. It's been seriously cool up here the past few days.

      Delete
  7. Time sure does fly…! If that guy hadn’t been there…?! Neat video and beautiful pictures. Love the flowers, clouds, views and sunset. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That clock video is hysterical. I can't imagine seeing it in real time, and I would have loved to have seen your face.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.