Thursday, June 6, 2024

May at the Farm

May 2024                                                                     Most Recent Posts:
Greenfield Mountain Farm                            Getting to April in Virginia
Afton,  Virginia                                       It’s Known as the Rosewood Massacre  




April and May are lovely months at the farm which is why I often return then to spent two months rather than two weeks here.  I also do many of my medical appointments but that’s not as much fun as hiking the property and finding these.


A stand of Mayapple in the woods.  The flower is under the umbrella like leaves but not visible in this picture.

20240428_093753



The Tulip Poplar flower.  Pretty clear where the tree gets its name.  Such a beautiful design.  It has also loaded the air with pollen.

20240428_093844



Many mushrooms.

PXL_20240525_215436128.MP



Along the drive in front of the house beyond the fence are several stands of Iris.
They are underneath the dogwoods and redbuds


20240430_063831



Bluebirds sitting on the fence.  Wish I’d had my good camera.  I have to use a zoom or they will fly away if I get too near and my cell phone zoom is pathetic.

20240430_064014



20240430_064153



The azalea bushes need trimming so their flowers aren’t all at the top.  I think I can do that in the fall but we put them in when we first bought the house and I don’t want to do anything to hurt them.   Any azalea pruning advice?


20240430_070010



The pink one is right by the door and a pair of cardinals had built a nest in it so that I frightened them off of it every time I went in and out.  I hope they were able to hatch their young.


PXL_20240501_140807564.MP



I snuck this picture one time I was going out.  I’m sorry I won’t be around to see them fledge.

PXL_20240513_200012166.MP


The flowers on the peony bush in the yard don’t last long enough for me.  I think they are beautiful.  I want  to plant several more next to this one along the front fence line.  This one has been here since we bought the house in the late 1970’s.  I have no idea how old it may be.  We didn’t add flowers to what was here.  We were too busy growing a HUGE vegetable garden for eating fresh and canning, drying and freezing for the winter.


PXL_20240430_230950496.MP



I wasn’t here for some of the early woodland wildflowers which are coming earlier than in days past.  Things I usually could see in early April were gone now by the time I got here.  But I was in time for the Mountain Laurel.

20240511_152647



20240511_15230220240511_152526



A favorite hike of mine is through the woods down to the lower field by the stream.  It was beautifully green in May.  It is where I look for some ephemeral wildflowers and where the Mayapple is found.

20240512_174837


20240512_175117




20240512_175353



I share the property with too many deer and  way too many groundhogs.   At one time that also included a pair of coyotes who happily seem to have moved on in the last couple of years so we now have rabbits again.   Since I don’t have a garden, this is fine with me.


20240522_093506



One of my favorite neighbors is the black snake.  For years we had a snake we named Sidney living in the back yard under the Paulownia trees.  I had a clothes line strung between the two trees and he would inevitably show up when I went to hang out the clothes.   I was always happy to see him because he kept the mice down.   I hope this is one of his decedents and he will hang around since the mice are back.


20240523_110840



I used to see a great many more box turtles as well and was really happy to find this one making his slow way up the driveway which you can see has been repaired after my muddy misadventure..

20240526_084216



20240526_084317



And of course the turkeys.   This poor gobbler could not get his lady fair to give him the time of day    He fanned that tail and strutted around and looked terribly grand I thought.

IMG_2006


IMG_2013



Just look at him and she’s got her back turned.


We have always had at least one and often a pair of pileated woodpeckers who love our old and getting older Paulownia Trees.

This one has been working out on my fence.  Not so happy about that.  But he is very striking to look at.



See the drilling he’s been doing.   I guess there must be bugs in my fence boards.



But my very favorite neighbors are the black bears whom I seldom see and when I do it’s just as they are quickly on their way somewhere else and I cannot get a picture.   This picture came from a remote camera on one of the trees at the edge of the field.   Shannon put them out and has sent me several wonderful pictures.

20240531_131535 bear



We don’t get much in the way of sunrises here as we are in what is known as a holler.  The sun has been up quite a while before it rises past the tree tops here.  But we do get some nice sunsets over the mountains especially in the winter when they are more visible.  But this one will do nicely.


There are two more highlights of May coming up but they deserve posts of their own.

27 comments:

  1. the grandkids are getting so big, little girl is almost as tall as you are. Am always so happy when u are back at the farm!! It is such a beautiful place!! Wildlife and flowers... and i know u will get to see the rest of the family, so, so will i!!! So glad u r getting along all right. even if a tiny forgetful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely comment. I'm sorry blogger chose to make you Anonymous.

      Delete
  2. I've said it before, but the farm is such a wonderful place!!! The amazing flora and fauna make it so special, and you so lucky to call it home-base. Especially this time of year. Poor Mr Turkey, trying so hard to no avail :-) Your box turtle is a treat. Wish we'd see some desert tortoise but sadly it's been decades since we've seen them in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodee. I do love it and every year except one or two have been back in the spring. Glad you enjoy seeing it over and over again.

      Delete
  3. Some great photos, definitely a nice healthy black bear, such a great photo from a deer cam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a good photo too and I have several more of a different bear and some cubs. Hope you two are well. Thanks for continuing to keep up with me.

      Delete
  4. Love seeing the farm at what I would imagine is the very best time of year. I love fall, but spring wins everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sue spring is my favorite too. I like the flowers although the lovely leaves if we have a bright fall are also wonderful.

      Delete
  5. I love seeing pictures of your farm you have a wonderful setting to call home.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Sue. It is a wonderful place to call home base and I think perhaps I appreciate it more when coming back from being away.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos of your flowers and critters! Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them Liz. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  7. So many animals out there. Love the bear picture! Wow! The turkey…poor fella…he was really showing off for her! Beautiful sunset. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prior comment is from Carrie :)

      Delete
    2. Yes it was a great spring. I can't believe blogger made you Anonymous. How dare it.

      Delete
  8. I do miss the spring colors in VA, not as pretty here in SC. Your farm is certainly a little slice of heaven. :c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that the colors in SC are not as pretty. You must have the same flowers and plants even if at slightly different times. Thanks so much for always being there for me Paul both on the blog and on the phone.

      Delete
  9. So tranquil so happy you are e joying this time at the farm Of course living in Florida we don’t have wonderful peonies . if you have lilacs on the farm I missed your mentioning them Those I also miss . It is so warm already we’ve had 96 degree days So enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 96 degree days sound horrible. We had 89 and I thought it was WAY too early.

      Delete
  10. Always enjoy your farm photos, such beautiful flowers and birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie you are such a loyal follower. You have been seeing pictures of the farm for more than 10 years. I'm surprised you don't grow tired of them.

      Delete
    2. Never! Sorry I'm late to the blog, I don't get on my computer but once a week, and as you know, can't see the pictures on my phone ;(

      Delete
  11. Your farm looks wonderful! So glad we have the chance to put a visual with all that we share in our daily texting. My favorite is the pleated woodpecker and as I told you, we have one too and have named it Gabe! You continue to get me going with your admiration for the reptiles in your life…aka the black snake. Ummm no thank you! It can join forces with your gators and live happy lives together! Looking forward to your next entry! Sherry you continue to enthrall me and I admire you whole heartedly! 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Mary. You continue to encourage me. I'm very grateful. If you get mice you may change your mind about the totally harmless black snake. ;-). He's way more afraid of you than you are of him.

      Delete
  12. I always love seeing pictures of the farm. My favorite is definitely the gobbler in his full glory as that is a rarity for me. I think I saw one on Skyland Drive once in my life. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must come out to the farm and visit when I'm there in the fall Pam. Let's make a date.

      Delete
  13. Your farm is so luscious and green full of wildlife. I'd want to spend time there too. Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.