Thursday, May 30, 2024

Getting to April in Virginia

April  2024                                                        Most Recent Posts:
Greenfield Mountain Farm                 It’s Known as the Rosewood Massacre
Afton, Virginia                                          River, Refuge, 3 Sisters and a Quarry



PXL_20240402_192450717.MP


The first of April I headed north up I- 95.  I don’t mind 95 at all since I just get in the right lane and let them all zoom by me.  I can easily stop at the rest areas and I’m in no hurry. 

This time when I pulled into a rest area, I saw another Brave which is a rare thing for me.







Winnona is a 2004 Brave, the last year they made them before they brought back the vintage look in 2015.   Her sibling there is probably a 2001 or 2002.


PXL_20240402_174852255.MP



Traveling north means Camp Walmart.  I’ve made this trip so many times I know exactly where to go and where to park over night.  I just always pray some inconsiderate RVers don’t lose the privilege for all of us by putting down their jacks, setting up their chairs and putting out their slide.


PXL_20240402_204455005.MP



This year I even got a sunset.

PXL_20240402_230806775.MP



Back at the farm it had been raining for days and things were wet, soft and muddy.  I cut the turn up to the barnyard too short and ended up stuck in the mud going in.  SO I backed up and moved over and eventually made it up into the barnyard.  But now there’s a mess that’s going to have to be fixed.   It’s always something.


20240403_15174120240403_152118












Thankfully Shannon had put more gravel in the barnyard so I had a dry place to pull in and level up to connect to the electric.


20240403_152737



Back just in time to watch the men’s and women’s basketball championships on my laptop.   No TV signal without major expense out here in the boonies.

20240405_190058



My next great move was to flood the bathroom.  I was washing my hands when the phone rang.  I turned the water in the bathroom off and went to answer it and then went on outside to tackle things on my list.

This faucet set turns off in two different directions.  Turn them both out to turn them on and in to turn them off.   Andin my hurry to catch the phone,  I obviously turned them both the same way, right or left, which  left one of them on for an hour and a half.

WHAT A MESS!

IMG_2001




LONG cleanup of GMF bathroom flood



David had a shop vac, I knew where it was but could not find the nozzle so I was trying to suck inches of water out of a thick carpet and pad with just the small end of the hose.  This took hours…..and hours….and hours.







The water flowing over the edge onto the floor took off the varnish from the hand made sink cabinet that David built and installed.  It soaked everything in the cabinet though it did not damage the wash stand or anything inside it and of course the claw foot bathtub was OK   

Getting the water out of that thick carpet took days of vacuuming and nights of multiple fans.

PXL_20240407_165536463.MP


Plus the use of every towel in the house which I put out all over the fence to dry out since now the dryer isn’t working. It is in the bathroom.  Of course I had to put them all out in the sun during the day and bring them in at night to avoid the dew.

All of this from one careless bit of hurried inattention.  Let it be a lesson to us all.

PXL_20240407_165253453.MP




The good news is the farm looks beautiful in the spring with the dogwood and redbud in bloom.

PXL_20240409_213545610.MP



Sunset view to the west

PXL_20240418_000130343.MP




I particularly love the flowers of the two old Paulownia trees in the backyard which were here and vigorous when we bought the farm in 1978.  Who knows how old they were then. 

At this point one of them is not doing well and may have to be taken down within the next year or so but the other seems fine and they both put out these lovely blooms every spring.


Some people consider them “weed” trees but not me.

The flowers look like velvet.



As we do every year, a week or so after I return in the spring Carrie and the kids come to visit.

We play games, Guess Who here.

IMG_0049


We go to the Rockfish Valley Community Center Park only a few miles away.

PXL_20240420_135051567.MP


Everybody wants a chance to swing.

PXL_20240420_135317691.MP



PXL_20240420_140431232.MPPXL_20240420_142013982.MP


One day we took a trip over the mountain to Staunton to see my niece Ashley, her Husband Tanner and their new baby Otto.   David’s sister Robin, Ashley’s mother,  and her husband Ernie joined us.

Ashley and Tanner have a great old house vintage similar to the farm on a steep hill in Staunton which is a city of hills.  Tanner took this picture so sadly he’s not in it and we were so busy chatting and loving the baby that I didn’t even think about pictures until this one when we were leaving.


IMG_0034



Frequent visits from my turkey neighbors are always fun.  Check out the colors.
These pictures are taken from quite a distance as wild turkeys are very skittish and not stupid like domestic birds.




Even slightly out of focus I love this one where he seems to actually look up to see if I’m watching him.




PXL_20240425_171754573.MPA highlight of April was seeing my friend Laurie in person for a change rather than on zoom or facetime or whatever it is we use for a weekly get together.

We went the McGuffey Art Center to see a new show by a favorite local artist Rosamond Casey.  She is simply one of the most amazingly creative people I have ever seen.   Take a look at her website.  The wealth and variety of her artistic talent will shock you.  It is always timely, thought provoking and provocative.



PXL_20240425_172750008.MP


Today we were looking at a show of oil paintings from several of her previous showings around the country.  I’ve included, above the photographs, several of her artist’s statements that were posted with the different groupings.









“Tossed together in the shuffle of things, the animals and humans recalibrate. Long past a cautionary tale, these allegories are a view from the other side of human error”


PXL_20240425_171806528.MP




PXL_20240425_172739535.MP


PXL_20240425_171821765.MP



WORKING BELOW SEA LEVEL 2021
This work imagines a time when we have no choice but to fix what’s broken.  We will be reminded why our bodies were built this way and that they must be put to use in an altered habitat.  As we reconfigure ourselves in broken cities, unfamiliar watery landscapes and home confinement, we will be immersed in new capacities and interior spaces.  This work is about prevailing
.


Aquanaut



The title of this one is Time Flows Downhill.  It perfectly portrays how I sometimes feel about the direction we seem to be going as a species.

PXL_20240425_172643180.MP



On a brighter note, we topped it all off with a delicious vegan lunch on the outside patio at Botanical Fare.

PXL_20240425_181119224.MP

28 comments:

  1. You covered a lot in this post. So sorry about the bathroom. That is how our entire house got flooded. I think I would take the carpet out of that bathroom. The Time Flows Downhill is interesting. Love the turkeys. The Botanical Faire food looks delicious! We have to go there together when both of us are in town. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything seems to be OK. No sign of wet, so far no mildew smell but the summer will tell that tale and if it happens that's going to be a big problem so fingers crossed. Would love to Go to Botanical if you are in the area in September at all.

      Delete
  2. I have so much to say! The farm looks beautiful although I know that was a terrible welcome home to have flooded the bathroom. What a pain. I am so sorry that happened. I love seeing pictures of Carrie and the kids at the farm. It makes me think of how much David would have enjoyed them being there and how much I know you love it. I am really glad that y'all got to see your niece and her family. I think we sometimes underestimate the value of cousins. I am particularly thankful for close relationships with my cousins because they are my family ties now as my closest family members pass on. Close cousins are a blessing. Lastly, thank you for the reminder about McGuffey. I definitely do not take advantage of that wonderful resource, so I just signed up to be on their mailing list. Rosamond Casey's paintings are incredible. Hope that all is well. Take care! -- Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comments Pam. Thanks so much. The older we get sadly the fewer family members we have. I'm glad those 5 live relatively close. Wish Carrie were closer. Hope you get to see some fine things at McGuffey. My next post will have another visit there. Would love to have lunch when I am back in the fall. Put me on your calendar for September.

      Delete
  3. Seeing friends in person while on the road is quite special! Doing the same here at Green Lakes SP up in the Syracuse area! If you are ever traveling through NY and want a beautiful place to camp… Green Lakes is a gem! I shared a picture with Sherry of kayakers!!! This would be right up her alley 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to kayak on Green Lakes. Thanks for the picture and the comment. Want to hear all about what you are doing there at the lake.

      Delete
  4. Speaking of friends… shout out to Paul Dahl for being there for Sherry! So great to have reliable friends to keep close in heart and spirit! Thanks Paul 👏🏻👍🏻👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Paul Dahl is an absolute gem and I am lucky to have him in my life. You too are a very special friend Mary.

      Delete
  5. It seems as though flooding on the return home is a repeating pattern, in case you read about Janna and Mike's experience when they returned to Arizona from Montana. My kerfuffle is about turning on the water in the laundry sink and casually wandering outside to do stuff and coming in to a flood. Thankfully it is only hard surfaces that flood and I usually catch it before it is too awful, but I can't imagine flooding carpet. Ugh. Still, the farm is so lovely and beautiful, especially this time of year. I loved seeing all your family stuff and your time with friends. The important things are what matters and family is the most important for sure. Your little family is growing. I love watching Carrie mature and the kids growing up. It makes me realize just how long I have been enjoying your blog. One of the very few left in the world of bloggers that I read. Have a lovely springtime and hopefully a good summer with bearable heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kerfuffle sounds just like what I did though thankfully it was the first and hopefully the last time. Like you, I once had a great number of blogger friends that I read but now there are only a few. I'm sorry for that. I miss reading about what they are doing.

      Delete
  6. Oh. forgot to mention the artist. That was intense just looking at the website, I can only imagine what it might be like in person. It seems that you might live in a somewhat progressive and artsy area, although I didn't see that much when we passed through so quickly in 2022. Much to see on the road that we haven't seen. Our road trips are getting shorter it seems, but still wonderful with the ocean and desert and mountains all around us. No more need to cross the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your spot does sound close to so many wonderful things. I am sorry you won't be coming east again though. I find I'm not able to say I'll never go west even if I know it's unlikely I'll go alone. Somehow saying it seems so final.

      Delete
  7. Glad you made it back to the farm with just a little mud smooshing to get parked up again. Flooding in the house is always such a pain. The pic of the drying pieces along the fence is priceless. Might have been easier to pull out the carpet and lay down some peel and stick tiles! Your trees are so pretty, what a lovely welcoming. Always fun to see the kiddos - like all of them, they're getting so big! Staunton is where we stayed when we came to see you and David so it's a special place :-))) Interesting artist, very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow peel and stick doesn't suit the era of this old house and I can't imagine how I'd get that cast iron tub up and out of that room. I have no idea how David got it in there. So I'm praying for a summer of no mold and mildew.

      Delete
  8. Hey Sherry, so sorry about the flooding, kind of surprised it took the varnish off so quickly. The trick with wet carpet is a strong squirrel cage fan under one of the edges of it to dry quickly and thoroughly.
    Looking at Winnona in these pics she looks fantastic. Very clean and well kept. Loved the photos of the farm and the flowers, and that's quite the sunset from a Wally World parking lot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Shayne. Yes I was quite surprised to and have yet to rectify that problem. Wish you were here. ;-)
      Hope you are frying quite yet down there. I know you'd so much rather be in Michigan.

      Delete
  9. I love your farm but after so long in the RV might have difficulty moving back into the house. Bummer about the flood. Great to see the family.
    ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaelyn it is so true that I have a very hard time moving from the RV to the house every time I do it. I'm afraid to rent the house and know that I will not be able to be on the road forever, and this is where I want to be when I cannot. So.....I have to come back and check to make sure things are OK.

      Delete
  10. Like always, enjoy reading about your travels. And sounds like you had some mishaps along the way but alway nice to get back home. The farm looks so beautiful with the trees in bloom and nice to get back with family. How long do you spend in Virginia? Nice to connect with your friend but the paintings were interesting?? 🧐.stay well and Jim and I have been kept very busy. See you in the winter! Judy G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since David died, I have been coming back to the farm for 2 months in the spring and 2 months in the fall spending winters and summers where the weather is more reasonable. Looking forward to seeing you and Jim again in the winter. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  11. Your farm looks so lovely in the spring. It must feel good to come home—except for the flood. Ugh. Like several other people commented, I think I would rip up the carpeting in the bathroom, too. How about linoleum? That would be appropriate for the period of the house and they have some really beautiful patterns now. But I'm sure you don't really want other people's opinions, LOL.
    Apart from the flood, it looks like you're enjoying your time at home with friends and visits from family! Enjoy your summer. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to hear from you Laurel. I assume you are at your spot in NC and hope you'll post about it soon. It's hard for me to readjust to living at the farm after Winnona and this time I forgot which way the spigots turn. LOL....Even with 2 months here there is never enough to time to see everyone and do everything I want to do.

      Delete
  12. So glad you made it back to VA without issue, only to flood the bathroom. Seems like there's always something! Your granddaughter is almost as tall as you, judging by the picture on the porch. Glad you were able to meet up with Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Celia appears to be headed for height which is wonderful. Everyone is always ultimately taller than I am. It was fun when I was a teen, no so much now. Thanks for the comment. So good to hear from you Laurie.

      Delete
  13. Sorry about the BR. What a drag! Beautiful pics of the farm and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. It was great seeing all of you this spring.

      Delete
  14. Great pictures of that turkey, kind of reminds me of a couple of my relatives... :cD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny Paul. I don't know your relatives so I can't tell them what you said about them.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.