Friday, January 5, 2024

Days at Alafia River State Park

December 18-21 & 29-Jan 1, 2023                 Most Recent Posts:
Alafia River State Park Site 5                           Flying for the Holiday
Lithia, Florida                           Gamble Rogers: Sunrises, Sunsets, Rain and Wind




IMG_0171Now that the holiday is over I’ll go back to what I did both before and after flying to Maryland for a bad airline experience and a fun holiday time.

I left Gamble Rogers on Monday December 18th for the 3 hour drive to Alafia River State Park in Lithia Florida.  I’m gone from the coast and headed west and inland.



IMG_0174

Alafia was chosen a few years ago for its proximity to the Tampa Airport since I spend about half my 14 day reservation time flying to and being in Maryland for the holiday.

Alafia River is reknown for its exceptional mountain biking trails created from this reclaimed phosphate mining area.  The trails range from Easy to expert.  They are well marked and not for hikers.  There are also 20 miles of equestrian trails and hiking trails through a mostly mixed hardwood forest and pine flatwoods.  Most of the 30 total sites in the two relatively small campground loops are pull through with water and electric.  There is a dump station as well.



When you first pull into the campground area there are three sites for what they call Comfy Camping – Glamping Rentals.  I’ve shown them before but this time there were many more people camping in them so I was lucky to get these pictures unblocked by their cars and trucks .

They are quite nice with solar panels,  a BBQ grille and picnic table, rocking chairs around the fire pit, bean bag toss game or whatever it is called and more.   The first three pictures were taken from the front of the site.  The last one was taken from the trail behind the sites to which they have a connector path for hiking.












Most mornings I walked this trail behind the Glamping as I call it to and around Lonesome Lake



IMG_0146







IMG_0155



These Common Moorhens were the only water birds I saw on my hikes.


IMG_0156



IMG_0161




IMG_0167





PXL_20231219_124253027.MPThere is a boat launch just outside the park where you can kayak the south prong of the Alafia river which flows through the park but the only time it was really warm enough to do that was while I was gone unfortunately.  It felt planned.  This is what the temperatures were in the morning rising only into the 50’s or at best low 60’s until the day I left and it was in the 70’s every day I was gone including the day I returned just before dark.   Then back to atypically cold for Florida in December.


Saw this fellow one day on the trail.  I find them so strange looking that they are endearing like possums.  But Armadillos are related to anteaters and sloths and found only in the “new world”.  While Opossums are marsupials like kangaroos.






Heard this Red Bellied Woodpecker before I saw him.





There wasn’t much of a view toward the sunset or sunrise but I went out often just looking for the color.


IMG_0206




IMG_0208




I showed this bridge in an earlier picture.  One morning a family surprised me.  We stood and looked at each other for some time before they decided to wander away.  I was very close to them but by the time I got to the bridge they had disappeared into the woods without a sound or trace.  Sure wish I could move as quietly on my two feet as they do on 4 or in this case 20.

PXL_20231221_203728008.MP




The lake always had something wonderful to see.  There were days of puffy clouds.


PXL_20231221_204326133.MP



And Florida’s version of Fall color.

PXL_20231221_204821849.MP





20231230_171649I got back from Maryland late on Thursday and that Saturday Shayne and Bev, whom I met at Fort Clinch a year or who knows how many ago, drove an hour to come down and see me.

I wanted to take them out for lunch but had to pull rank and age in order to get Shayne to agree.



20231230_143916The closest restaurants to Alafia are in Lithia and there isn’t much.   Three pizza places, McDonalds, Outback,  Taco Bell and Beef O’Gradys.  We ended up the latter whose walls were totally covered with BIG TV’s.  Amazingly  Dawn Staley’s South Carolina Women’s Basketball team was beating the sox off of East Carolina.  Eventually 73-36.   I do LOVE ACC basketball.

BUT, the company actually was more enticing than the game.   Aren’t they darling??




I hiked out the old year.


20231231_132809


The park has wonderful mowed trails, plenty wide, no racing mountain bikes.


20231231_135145




20231231_135246



Those often lead to gorgeous wooded trails

20231231_135309


On New Year’s Day I began 2024 by moving to Myakka River State Park outside of Sarasota Florida where I hope the weather will warm up enough to kayak which for me means in the 70’s and under 10mph winds.

A very Happy New Year to you all and thanks so much for keeping in touch.

18 comments:

  1. This was the least friendly walking state park we visited. It is a world-class BMX track and open areas are for people with horses. Yet you make it look like a great place to hike. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found quite a long connected route of non bike trail beginning at Lonesome Lake but I admit Alafia is not my favorite hiking park.

      Delete
  2. How sweet of Shayne and Bev to visit, and how nice of you to get the tab :) Social reminded me when we met you and David for lunch that time. Sure don't remember where, would have to go back on my blog to find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful of them to drive an hour each way. I thought the least I could do was take them out to lunch since cooking is no longer a favorite activity of mine. LOL. I remember meeting you guys for lunch as well and also cannot remember when it was or where it was but I do remember the pictures I took. Being able to go back and search your blog is one of the major reasons for doing it in my mind along with keeping and touch with friends.

      Delete
  3. You captured some great photos of the "comfy camping" sites. They were so packed I couldn't see much without being nosey the day we visited. The red bean bag game is called "corn hole", pretty popular these days.
    Loved your "sunrise" photo as well as the one with the deer and the "gorgeous wooded trail" one's. I'm a sucker for most wooded trails but that one looked like a great scene.
    Thanks again for lunch, even though you shouldn't have and you're probably the only one I've ever felt like I really just wasnt going to win that argument with, gotta love how fiesty you are, lol.
    Always such a pleasure to be around you it's hard to imagine how difficult it must be when you part from family after holidays as you just did.
    So thankful to have briefly caught up with you after so many changed plans this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure everyone loves how fiesty I am but I am glad you do.
      I am so so sorry for your change of plans this year and glad we were able to get together at least this once .

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! I hope your temperatures are warmer now. I love that woodpecker picture. I think I first saw an armadillo at Fort Wildnerness when I was 8 with Emma. They are just such an odd looking creature! I'm glad there is at least one decent hike at Alafia so you could come see us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Fort Wilderness with Emma. Happy Memories. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  5. Love the mossy trees and pretty moon and that lovely lake with the subtle sunset. Such a pretty place and although chilly, those blue skies are sure nice. Glad you got to see Shayne and Bev again, yes, they're darling :-) The trees are always so interesting in the Florida areas you stay. And look at you caught up with blog posts!!!! Happy New Year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jodee the blue skies are wonderful. My mother said she retired to Florida because of the gray skies all winter long in Ohio. I understand now. Hope this is a wonderful year for you two.

      Delete
  6. Love seeing the woodpecker, the deer and the armadillo! You got great close-ups of them! The trails do look nice and the trees make the trails look very inviting. I'm glad that you got to see your friends. What an attractive couple! I had pictured them differently. Keep having fun and seeing wildlife! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love seeing the wildlife and wish I always had my real camera with me and not just my phone.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you!! Always enjoy seeing your pictures. Here’s to lots of kayak photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have the kayak pictures in my next post Jacque. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  8. So Shayne…. Does feisty = badass??? Enjoyed your comments and we clearly see Sherry in the same light! She’s a special gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marry you are so funny. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  9. Are there still a lot of vultures at Myakka River? I loved watching the spoonbills when I was visiting last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! I enjoyed Myakka River last year, lots of turkeys. Hope they have cleared out the feral pigs.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.