Tuesday, November 15, 2022

A Visit from Sharon

August 20-22, 2022
Bear Den Family Campground                                     Most Recent Posts:
MP 324 Blue Ridge Parkway     Upper Creek Falls-Beautiful, but POORLY Marked
Spruce Pine, North Carolina                                   Finally, Blowing Rock



20220821_152142I’ve known my friend Sharon for at least 8 years.  I met her through my blog though unfortunately she seldom comments.   I hope she will comment on this post and on future posts.  She is such a lovely person with so much to share.

She and her husband lived in Tennessee and like me, over the time of our friendship, she has sadly become a widow. 

I was happy that she was suggested making the trip to see me here at Bear Den for a few days. 


She arrived on Saturday afternoon.  She had rented a small place on the opposite end of this large property where folks have built “mountain homes” and some, like hers are rented out.  She came to my site and we sat under Winnona’s awning chatting and catching up.   Silly me got a picture of her car behind Ruby but none of us sitting talking at the site.

Wish I knew enough about this mushroom on my site to know if I could safely cook it up for us.  As you can see, it was huge and would have made dinner for two.

IMG_3750


On Saturday we hiked to the campground waterfalls.


IMG_3751


IMG_3756


And then we went back to her cute little place for lunch and an afternoon of more discussion.  We have a great deal in common and it was wonderful to have conversation face to face.

IMG_3760



IMG_3764


Of course we didn’t need the fireplace but she turned it on so I could see how cozy it is.

IMG_3765


On Sunday we had breakfast out at wonderful diner named Kaye’s Kitchen that  Sharon knew of in the nearby town of Newland.  She has friends near Boone whom she visits and is familiar with this area.  Wish I’d gotten a picture of the delicious plate of food we each had.


20220822_093046


We set out on the town greenway to rack up some steps.

20220822_110512


20220822_110541


The trail is really beautifully done.

20220822_112608


20220822_114919


We finished off the day with a visit to the Switzerland Inn.  Apparently I did not take a picture of the outside of this high quality hotel in Little Switzerland.

20220822_134319


On this beautiful day, nearly everyone was outside as you can see.

20220822_134427



20220822_134048


Beautiful spot for chairs to just relax and chat or contemplate.

20220822_134130


20220822_134149


We headed back for the treat of the afternoon.  This view is of the back of the Inn.

20220822_134207



20220822_134101


It’s ice cream time!!

20220822_134534


They have other treats as well as ice cream but we were here for the locally and organically made ice cream in 4 flavors.  Cream Cheese and Berries, Big Foot Trax,  Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip and Berry Sorbet which was vegan.

20220822_135457


We enjoyed it out on the patio at their cute little tables.

20220822_135536


20220822_135608


Sharon had to leave the next day but we packed a lot into that short visit and I am so happy that she came.  Thanks Sharon for driving to see me.

20220822_143336

23 comments:

  1. Wow! Great spot for a visit! Always nice to reunite with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great Jody. It's wonderful to see you in the comments repeatedly. I look forward to it.

      Delete
  2. Good friends, good food, good hikes and ice cream! What's not to love, eh? :c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it perfectly Paul. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Oh that looks like so much fun! Love the views from the inn. And easy walks that don't include roots and rocks looked pretty darn nice too. Nice to read that for a little bit of time, at least, you didn't have to deal with being lonely. Those ice creams sounded yummy, and her little cabin park model thingy looked really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun Sue. The cabin was darling and it made it possible for each of us to do our own thing in the evenings and early mornings. That's the way she always visit friends. The end of August was a run of friends. More to come.

      Delete
  4. Could that mushroom be a Hen of the Woods? Using my Mushroom Identifier app, it most closely resembles the one you pictured…..

    I’ll keep looking though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be. Edible?? A little too late though. But next time?

      Delete
  5. How lovely to have a visit from a friend. I bet you enjoyed the company. Great place to walk around, and the views! Sorry the ice cream shop didn't have your favorite flavor, albeit with a different name. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great fun having her visit and even though they didn't have my favorite flavor, the ice cream was very good.

      Delete
  6. I love blogging for all the friends made, and many met. You are still on the list of must meets. This looks like a fun couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have been blog friends for years and must find some way to meet in person.

      Delete
  7. How fun to have a friend come to visit! I've always thought that meeting friends through our blog is one of the most unexpected and delightful benefits of blogging. Make me think of the first time that we met up with you and David in Apalachicola! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Laurel. Meeting friends through the blog is one of the real benefits. So glad we were able to meet up with you two and I have since David's death. Your friendship is very important in my life.

      Delete
  8. It truly was a wonderful visit! I hope there will be more of those in our future! I'm still working on winter Florida plans and am hoping our paths will cross in January or February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me know what I can do to help make it happen Sharon. It was a wonderful few days with you and I am so happy to see you here in the comments.

      Delete
  9. How lovely! You packed a lot of fun into a few days. Neat cabin and beautiful views. Interesting ice cream flavors. I'm glad you got at least one picture of you two together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had too few pictures of us. We were so busy having fun, I could not remember to take pictures.

      Delete
  10. That lodge looks like a great place to visit. So nice when you meet a fellow blogger and have a really great visit. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tom I think the Inn would be a wonderful place to stay during a hot summer. Beautiful views.

      Delete
  11. How wonderful that your blogger friend was able to come visit in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more visits from friends on the road. It was wonderful.

      Delete
  12. What a cute little cabin to enjoy in the mountains! Love the Inn and all the pretty paths through the little town. More NC envy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.