Monday, September 2, 2024

Parker Pond, Pie & Littleton N.H.

August 1-12, 2024                                                Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                            Last Days Before the Second Flood
St Johnsbury, Vermont                                  First Days After the First Flood



The second flood of the summer happened on July 30 and kept us mud bound for 3 days.  The first flood was the “rain” flood and the second the “mud” flood.  I posted about both just after they happened.   If you have not seen the mud flood  post,flood (1) you can find it here.  

By August 2nd the rains weren’t over and the clean up was still going on AGAIN.
Yet as you will see, I was able to get out around the mud for a trip to Parker Pond known by some as Lake Parker.




This was one of the best mornings I’ve had on the water this summer.  The wind was a bit high early on but it calmed.

IMG_2938



I watched a group of mallards several times during the morning.



The far end of the lake has no development.

IMG_2954



IMG_2956



IMG_2958



I’ve been surprised all summer that I had not seen any Canada Geese but they were here in a large group today.




I’m not sure how many loons are on the lake.   I heard them calling several times but this was the only one I saw close enough to get a picture.

IMG_2965



I’m thinking this is an Eastern Kingbird but I could not see his back. His tail looks white tipped but the color isn’t clear against the blue sky.   Can anyone confirm?

IMG_2974




Either there were two groups of mallards or this one was doing a lot of paddling.

IMG_2982




IMG_2983



The lake had several channels which I love to explore.

IMG_2985



IMG_2989



This one got too narrow for an easy turn around.  It was so shallow that it was easier to just step out of the boat and turn it.


IMG_2990



Coming out of one of the channels I found myself behind the Canada Geese

IMG_2999



When they became aware of me, they picked up speed.  Notice the water around them and they flat lake in front.

IMG_3000



I came around an edge section and found this Great Blue Heron who decided he had better things to do.


IMG_3002



IMG_3003




I pleased to be able to get a decent picture of this beautiful dragonfly.

IMG_3007



Another surprise or at least something I’ve never seen on a Vermont Pond was this sea gull hanging out on a floating dock.

IMG_3025



IMG_3029



I don’t think she’s a fisherman but she was sure watching the fish.  Made me laugh to watch her.



Such concentration.

IMG_3032



She gave me a great  look when I asked her owner on the shore about her.

IMG_3033



What wonderful memories this grandfather and grandson are making.

IMG_3036




IMG_3039



This was my first visit to Parker Pond and I’m very sorry that I didn’t know about it sooner as it is now one of my favorites.  There are just SO many lakes and ponds within an hour of the campground.

IMG_3012



Lake Parker is a great paddle but adding to its allure is that it is less than two miles up the road from Lake Parker Country store.  This is the home of the Parker Pie Company which, in my opinion, hands down has THE best pizza within 30 minutes of St Johnsbury.

the-parker-pie-co



The front is a great general store and the back is the restaurant.   They have a lot of things going on here.


Parker Pie  (3)



Love this little spot with the comfy chair.

Parker Pie  (6)



Parker Pie  (7)On the table next to the chair, I found this cook book from the locally famous Shenandoah Valley Mrs. Rowe’s Restaurant near the farm in Virginia.  

They have been open for over 70 years and have more than 3000 followers on their facebook page.   If you travel  I 81 through Virginia stop in for homestyle southern food and make sure you have a piece of pie.   Their coconut cream is outstanding.    What a surprise to see this in a little country store in Vermont.


The restaurant has tables inside and outside.


Parker Pie  (2)


Parker Pie  (5)


Check out their menu from the  link above.   They have a full menu not just pizza.  But I could not resist trying the Green Mountain Special.  Baby Spinach, Red Onion, Bacon, Apple, Fresh Garlic, Cheddar Cheese & drizzled with Deep Mountain Maple Syrup. 

I really really wanted to go back the day before I left Vermont just to be able to take one with me for the road but that day was labor day and they were closed.  So Sad. 


Parker Pie  (9)



Two days later it was raining again and my car was sitting in the water.

20240804_151717



Luckily I bought a small tarp and tall rain boots so I could get in and out of the rig without tramping through too much mud.

20240804_152437


Amazingly two days later it had dried up enough that I was able to take a trip over to New Hampshire to visit the town of Littleton.   I had been to their big box area as that is the closest Walmart and Home Depot but I had never walked around the town itself and was told it was a must do.

Again, I’m sorry I hadn’t done this earlier this year or last year.  Real over sight on my part.



PXL_20240805_152956709.MP

The Ammonoosuc River flows through town.   There is both a swinging bridge and a covered bridge over it.   There is also a trail between them on both sides.   After wandering around town, I took the covered bridge over to The Little Grille for lunch and then walked back down the trail to the swinging bridge which was near where I was parked.









PXL_20240805_153656681.MP



It was difficult to get a picture of how long the covered bridge is.  This is the best I could do.

PXL_20240805_153830948.MP



After taking pictures of the bridge, I walked up to the main street in town past these great murals.

PXL_20240805_154020035.MP



A closer look at the colored steps and cute hanging umbrellas. 


PXL_20240805_154026061.MP



This is perhaps the best little toy and book shop I’ve ever been  in.  I spent a long time inside and found some things for Colin’s 6th birthday which is less than a month away.  Grandmothers take note.  This is a GREAT place.


PXL_20240805_161236384.MP



Books and sweets rival for my favorites.

PXL_20240805_161318196.MP



PXL_20240805_161426442.MP



The WORLD’s Longest Candy Counter? 

PXL_20240805_161751586.MP



Littleton is a wonderful little town to wander around in.  At lunchtime I took the covered bridge over the river to have lunch at The Little Grille.

PXL_20240805_163304655.MP



PXL_20240805_163421690.MP



PXL_20240805_163604806.MP



At the Little Grille you can also eat inside or outside.


PXL_20240805_175814906.MP



Take a look at their menu.  Wish I’d known about Wednesday Burger day. 

PXL_20240805_174249895.MP



Another mural on the side of the Little Grille.  They definitely have some wonderful artists here in Littleton, New Hampshire

PXL_20240805_175858796.MP


The 3rd unfortunate incident happened during the next two weeks.  This has been some summer.  BUT it has been a lot cooler than most places.

14 comments:

  1. Okay, did the ice cream shop have JMC? Hope it did so you could get your long overdue fix! :cD
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ducks in a row and a gaggle of geese! And a handsome loon. The geese in front of your kayak look like they're having a swimming party. Herons are so regal- I'm always amazed at how still they can stand for a long time when they're fishing. You did catch a good picture of the black dragonfly- I think the blue ones are prettier. The gull was talking. The black dog in the water is adorable! Your pizza was pretty and sounded delicious. I like cozy general stores. The brick street reminds me of my grandparents' street. Cute umbrella decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would like the dog in the water which is why I took the picture. Thanks for your so detailed comments Pam.

      Delete
  3. Sherry… I continue to learn from you and so appreciate all the time and info that you include in your writing. I can honestly say that a body of water has me searching for a pair of loons! And on our daily walks on the rail trail here in Dutchess County, NY I find myself looking so much more closely at the birds to see if I too have seen one of your amazing finds!!! We’re heading back up go Acadia and will look forward to my new nature quests thanks to you!!! Safe travels friend! 💜🦋💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can find some loons but they are seldom on rivers or in the ocean I don't think. I am so glad to hear that the blog has been a benefit to your nature quests. Really envying you going to Acadia

      Delete
  4. Lovely places! So many birds and undeveloped land on the pond and Littleton sounds neat to visit. Can’t wait to see what you got for Colin and very interesting to have found the Mrs. Rowe’s book up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Littleton is a really cute little town. I was just shocked to see that cookbook up there in a very out of the way place in Vermont.

      Delete
  5. I love that little town! So colorful, and quaint shops. Did you buy the cookbook from Rowe's? What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still buy that cookbook at Mrs. Rowe's. I was just so surprised to see it there. It really isn't the kind of food that I would cook. Carrie and I and the kids met my sister-in-law and her children for lunch there this past Spring. I think I did a blog post that had that visit in it.

      Delete
  6. That little NH town was really cute. Looks like a fun place to wander. Although al the rain and weather that you have had must have been hard. I visited a place in Vermont with Jeanne that had that same feeling, and some of those covered bridges back there really make our little Oregon bridges seem small and new by comparison. And are you sure it was a grandfather? Maybe it was his dad. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your thought that who knows might be his dad. I didn't actually ask. One of the reasons I do the blog is so that I could look back and see how much I did do over this summer in spite of all the incessant rain and 2 floods.

      Delete
  7. Littleton is so cute and colorful! Your rain boots match the town. :-) That pizza you got looks delicious! That's my kind of pizza. And I love your dragonfly photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure had your share of rain and floods and mud this summer - in one of the prettiest areas of the country so there's that :-) Love that long, beautiful covered bridge. Those geese are really impressive. How fun to follow in their wake. Littleton looks maybe familiar and I either want to see it for the first time or visit again! Love the pretty murals and the store sounds delightful. That pizza would have been a great treat for the road on your way south - at least you got one.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.