Wednesday, March 6, 2024

A New Plan In Florida

February 2024                                                       Most Recent Posts:
Cedar Key RV Resort                    Winding Up Two Weeks at Silver Springs
Sumner, Florida                          My Favorite Hike and The Steps Resolution


Last winter when I was trying to make a reservation to back up against the end of my time at Myakka, I was not able to for two days.  I did finally get a site at Silver Springs but then had to find somewhere to stay for two night that would be on the way between them hopefully.  I discussed this in my post on Ross Prairie.

The same thing happened to me when I was scheduled to leave Silver Springs on January 31.  But this time it was on the 4th day when I could not get a site that I threw in the towel.  I was so frustrated and irritated that I talked to my friend Laurel about where she had stayed in  private parks that she might be able to recommend for two months.  She wasn’t sure about that long but did give me some suggestions.


20240131_144201The most convenient one to Silver Springs, and in a place I’d been to for a day visit from Manatee Springs State Park years ago, was Cedar Key.  So I called and booked all of February and all of March.  I just didn’t want to have to deal with the Florida Park Reservation System any more until Fall.    When I arrived, this is the vehicle I followed down the road to the park.  David and I had two burros at the farm, Fred and Ginger.  This seemed like a very good omen



20240131_155807David and I only stayed in a private park once in all the 8 years we came to Florida together and that was for two months while he recuperated from a stem cell transplant in 2012.  I have never stayed in one since I’ve been on my own. 

But here I am in site 77 at Cedar Key RV Resort in Sumner Florida 7 miles east of the little island town of Cedar Key.  This site is leased (owned) by someone who put it in the rental pool and it was assigned to me. 


PXL_20240201_171648619.MP




PXL_20240202_133827170.MPPrivate parks are different in many ways from state parks.   One is the view out my front window which shows a sort of small town.  Luckily this park has only 99 sites which for private parks in Florida is small. 

Another difference is the closeness of the sites although again, this park’s sites are much roomier than other private parks I have seen.   I did some scouting the year after David died to see if there was somewhere I could spend the cold months without moving every two weeks.  My scouting was all in southern Florida and even monthly prices were prohibitive.  Staying here is also about $200 more a month than I pay in the state parks.  But it’s not twice or 3 times as much as I found in my scouting.  Further north is the reason.


Still, private parks have numerous advantages in addition to be able to stay pretty much as long as I like.  They also have Full Hook Ups so no dump station runs.  They also have many folks who are here for the entire season and some who have been coming for years.  Thus they can give great advice about the area and you get to know them since they aren’t leaving in a few days.



20240212_171608Private parks also often have swimming pools and planned activities as this one does.  I didn’t avail myself of the pool since it was heavily chlorinated.  I was surprised they had not changed it to salt water.

But I did take advantage of the activities.  I joined a group that orders pizza every Monday night and they take turns going to pick it up and eat together in the clubhouse.  Since nearly everyone here is in couples, they split the large pizza.  I get to have 6 toppings of my choice and eat it multiple times over the week.  Needless to say I only go every 3rd week.





PXL_20240215_200354657.MP


Another fun food event happens every other Thursday.  $3.00 for an ice cream sundae.  They have had 2 or 3 flavors of ice cream,  3 or 4 different toppings like fudge and butterscotch.  Nuts, sprinkles, candy bar crumbles.   Absolutely fun and terrible for me.

This particular picture was taken on Carol’s birthday when a friend in the park baked her a cake and she brought it to share.  Usually it’s just ice cream.





Other food events since I’ve been here are  pancake breakfasts twice a month, a super bowl party, and a St Patrick’s day potluck

After all the food luckily there is an exercise group and a yoga group three times a week.  Pickleball twice a week and cornhole once a week.



20240225_180857

Friday night is game night.  Folks bring whatever games they like up to the clubhouse and whoever shows up plays.  The ones I’ve seen most frequently are Sequence and







20240225_181114


Mexican Train Dominos.  And of course various types of card games.








20240206_201001But my hands down favorite is Tuesday night Bingo. 

They play bingo with gift bags.  Each person brings a bag with a gift/s costing $5 or less.  Then you can buy 2 or 3 bingo cards at $1.00 each and the fun begins.   They play until all the bags are gone.  If you win, you pick a bag off of the table and open it showing everyone the prize.  Next winner can either take a bag or steal your prize and you get to choose another.  One prize can only be stolen twice.  It’s great fun.


partially full gift bag table

20240206_190237


20240220_201254


I won these 5 alcoholic beverage bottles.  They looked very interesting.  I think you can see what they are if you click the photograph.   But I really don’t like the taste of any alcohol except Bailey’s Irish Cream so when they didn’t get stolen – granted I was next to last to win – I brought them in their bag back the next week as my give away.


PXL_20240302_202654947.MP


I have also been thrilled to be able to watch ACC basketball and Dawn Staley’s South Carolina Women’s team on the TV setup in the clubhouse where they have cable.  The park unfortunately for me does not have cable available for everyone.  I think that’s pretty unusual for most private parks but maybe everyone now has their own dish or satellite set up. 


20240217_124337On some week nights and Saturday and Sunday afternoons I’ll be sitting on the sofa with one game after another on the screen.   Thank goodness the serious part of March Madness only lasts for two months.  It’s hard to fit everything else I want to do around basketball.  Though thankfully it’s mostly on the week-ends when I stick close to Winnona to avoid the week-end warriors.


I was the beneficiary of some wonderful kindness that could probably only happen at a private RV park.  A couple at the park had moved into a new RV and somehow (I never did quite understand how) ended up with three brand new RV mattresses still in the plastic that they did not want and wanted to GIVE AWAY.   They had a king, a queen and a short queen.


20240209_152329My mattress is now 20 years old and I had planned to get a new one this summer.  I was at a women’s wine and chat when Dottie told the story and asked if anyone knew anyone who wanted a new mattress.  I volunteered.   The next day when I came home from kayaking I was shocked to find a memory foam mattress wrapped in plastic on my picnic table.



20240209_154733

  Bill, my benefactor and my neighbor took my old mattress out and over to the trash bins and put the new one in for me.






One less thing I have to take care of this summer  And one less expense as they absolutely refused to take any money for it  Doris said I was doing her a favor.  She just wanted to get them out of her shed.   You can not ask for nicer folks than these.


My new memory foam.                                    All made up and ready for sleeping.

20240209_155627PXL_20240209_212906255.MP













PXL_20240220_124318523.MPI’ll close by reminding myself that it was not warm here in February.  Notice the indoor and outdoor highs and lows.  It had gotten up to 34 outside when I woke up. 

Before I turned the space heater on it was 49 inside.  I do not run heat at night.  I love it cool at night under the covers but that makes it hard to want to get up out of bed. 


Next post will be about the darling island town of Cedar Key which has done an amazing job of recovery from the damage it suffered from Hurricane Idalia on August 30th last year.

35 comments:

  1. More socializing here it seems. Not so bad for the winter. Such nice people. Makes you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more social since they all know each other.

      Delete
  2. How very nice that you scored a new mattress! I hope it is comfortable. I hear Cedar Key is a nice place. We never got there either :( I know some RV Dreamers are there? Gin and Syl, Martha & Lee. Not sure if they're living in that park specifically. Would be nice to run into them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gin and Syl and Dan and Tricia left here a long time ago but Martha and Lee are still here.

      Delete
    2. Oh, nice to be able to see them!

      Delete
  3. What a great story. Your "I *have* to stay in a private park" dilemma turned into a mattress blessing. I am also glad that you can keep on top of basketball. I was house-sitting in Virginia Beach on Sunday night and missed the UVa win over VT. What a game to miss! Can't wait to read your next installment about Cedar Key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sorry for you that you had to miss the UVA - Virginia tech game.

      Delete
  4. All of the activities sound like fun. Especially ice cream night! Oooooo toppings and sprinkles! Yea for a new mattress that will likely make your back happier! I've never seen bingo cards like that. Keep having fun! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam the things you mentioned and the basketball are real highlights of my stay here.

      Delete
  5. We loved Cedar Key when we stayed there some years back. Even left an "RSANITY" license plate in one of the hotel bars. A place I could see calling home if I ever left South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the Low Key Hideaway Tiki Bar, where I enjoyed my favorite drink: Diet Coke!

      Delete
  6. Seems this works out well for you to get more socializing. Plus a bonus new mattress. ~Gaelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new mattress was a serious unexpected bonus.

      Delete
  7. Wow, as regular stay parks go, you definitely picked a good one. From ice cream, to cake, to the bingo (what a cool way to do the prizes) and especially the mattress... Congratulations, I can't think of anyone who deserved it more than you, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shayne you are so sweet.Hooe you and Bev are doing well.

      Delete
  8. I ran into another retired guy here in Clearwater not too long ago, he's from Clearwater and he was saying that this was the coldest winter he can remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Rob. I've heard that frim others about this winter in Florida. And now they're saying there isn't going to be any Spring, that is going straight into hot humid summer.

      Delete
  9. If you are paying $200 more per month, you can now deduct the mattress and some ice cream and pizza for less. (Though you may be paying full price for pizza....not sure.) Anyway, sounds like you'll be OK here. And warm most likely from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do pay $3 for the ice cream and $15 for the pizza so it's not exactly free but it's fun. Thanks for your comment Judith.

      Delete
  10. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading on my phone Sometimes I miss things, is Kayaking easily available here at this park? love that it is such a big part of your life . I like that next year you won’t need to be moving so much though again I admire your doing all that!!! Today, is my check up at Moffit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck at muffet Jacque. There are not many places within less than an hour to kayak here. With the new rules I will be returning to the Florida state parks next winter

      Delete
    2. Why did AI change my Moffit to muffet?? I do dislike autocorrect

      Delete
    3. Cause it knew I don’t eat before the weigh in ñ had muffins on my mind !!!

      Delete
  12. So many activities! It's been great that you can watch the basketball and that mattress looks super nice! Definitely different than a state park, but not all bad. The bingo sounds grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love being able to watch the basketball that's for sure. Love it more when you are doing it with me.♥️

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a good choice .... much easier, more fun, less stress and more social!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really gotten to the downside yet. Don't get too excited.

      Delete
  14. I know you didn't find friends that share your love of outdoor activities, but I'm glad you had other activities (like Bingo!) that you enjoy. It looks like you had a lovely site, and that you had a lot of social activities to choose from. And friendly neighbors! How great that you were gifted a new mattress—and they even installed it for you! As you know, we've been to Cedar Key many times, but only for about a week at a time, and we spent most of our days kayaking and biking. Staying for two months would be a different experience entirely. It's good to try new things, right? That's what I keep telling myself about Airbnb travel, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to try new things Laurel and I have learned that I would not come back here for 2 months. A couple of weeks would have been great though I doubt I would have played bingo had I been here for such a short period.

      Delete
  15. It is kinda fun coming late to the party after there are a bunch of comments. Interesting to see how everyone thinks about your new style of living in Florida. Yes. Almost every winter when I visited Bel in Ocala it got darn cold. Like frost below 32 cold. I did wonder at your reply to a comment about "don't get excited". LOL Still, it sounds like a fun month. Mo and I have avoided parks with "activities" as much as possible, but a difference is that we travel together and are our own best company. Spending life alone as you do, it seems like a good way to avoi that lonesome thing you have talked about. Also, we now drive at least 90 minutes to get to a kayak worthy body of water unless we are camping, so there is that. Not fun but better than not kayaking I think. And I somehow missed the "new rules". Will have to wait for your next post or go back and read again. Hugs to you Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the activities Sue. If David were here I doubt we would have done any of the activities except maybe at least one night of bingo. Not sure I explained the new rules or maybe I did in a previous post. Florida has changed the amount of time it's residents have of to book state park campsites. They can book 11 months in advance and everyone else can only book 10 months in advance which makes it so much easier for residents to get camp sites it is amazing.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful to sit still for a couple months in one of your favorite areas! Looks like a pretty perfect compromise to me. I'm also a huge fan of Cedar Keys and delighted you've spent a while nearby! The mattress was a huge score - and delivery, set up and haul-away included!! Good on you, you deserve every kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jodee for your sweet comment. I love the town of Cedar Key but the hiking around here is very skimpy and kayaking places are at a great distance other than just around the island.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.