Thursday, April 27, 2023

April in Virginia

March 27 – April 23, 2023                                Most Recent Posts:
Greenfield Mountain Farm              Kayaking the Beautiful Ichtucknee River
and                                                          Santa Fe River Sink and River Rise
Charlottesville



Traveling North

PXL_20230327_211245450I don’t really like to travel on week-ends if I can avoid it.  Too much traffic and difficult to find RV help if you need it.  So I spent Monday night, my first night headed north, at the St Mary’s Georgia Walmart where I found a group of Canadians from Quebec who are the reason so many Walmarts are closing their parking lots to RVers.   I went over and talked to them about it.  They spoke perfect English, pretty much said they didn’t care  and laughed as you can see.  So I took their picture as an example of “setting up camp” with slides and chairs.  What NOT to do in the parking lot.  This makes me furious. 



PXL_20230327_194101994But inside Walmart was something darling.  I couldn’t believe it.  Certainly I have never seen a goat in a shopping cart wearing a diaper.  I always save up a list of things I need the week before I’m heading back so I can buy something from each Walmart kind enough to allow me to park there.  What a fun treat it was to see these two.


AND something else new, another treat.  I had no idea Walmart’s Subway is now selling pizza so I had one for dinner. Onions, spinach and mushrooms.  Actually decent, especially when you are as hungry and tired as I was.

PXL_20230327_212903133



On Tuesday night I stayed with the VERY kind the folks at Walterboro Walmart. Their side parking lot had 30 or more RVs in it.  I couldn’t get them all in one picture.  Most were practicing good parking lot etiquette though  not all as you can see.  I hope the large numbers don’t concern the management.

PXL_20230328_221137651



Arrived at the Farm

After 800 miles, I arrived back at the farm to greet early spring.    The fields haven’t completely greened up yet.  That comes later but you can see the flowering trees in bloom as I stop to take Ruby off and drive Winnona into the barnyard.

  

March 30 (1)



Parked in her Virginia spot with a 30 amp hook up. 

March 30 (5)



So glad I got to see the daffodils.

March 31 (3)


March 31 (4)


and the tulips

20230404_124953


20230404_125006


20230404_125031


This picture of the Iris on the bank in front of the house was taken a week or so later when they opened and other flowers had begun to fade.


20230415_110957



Botanical Fare in Charlottesville

Charlottesville has opened a new Vegan restaurant on the downtown mall.  My friend Pam and I were very excited to try it out.  The food was fantastic and I remembered to take a picture of it but not of the two of us.  Hope we’ll get to come again while I’m in Virginia so I can get a  picture of us enjoying it.   The restaurant is called Botanical Fare.

I’ve forgotten what the delicious sandwich was but on the right is the VERY BEST vegan mac & cheese I’ve ever had.

Botanical Fare 4Botanical Fare5












Farm Hikes


Hiking near one of the steams I found a nice stand of May Apple.  They bloom on twin leaves and had not opened just yet.

20230408_142200


20230408_142259


Fiddleheads were up but just raising their heads.


20230408_142416


And Toothwort was almost ready to bloom.

20230408_142523


A week or so later Winnona has an apple tree for shade during part of the day.

20230408_144039



Surprise Mail



If you are like me, you seldom get any mail you really care about.  So what a surprise to find a letter in my mailbox with this sweet “address” on the back of the envelope.  

Celia will be 7 in mid May and her mother, Carrie, told me she had no idea what was in the envelope that Celia wanted to send to me.  It was just sent.

Definitely the best piece of mail I’ve gotten in ages and ages.  I can’t think of a Pen Pal I’d love better than my darling granddaughter.  How can she have grown so quickly?


20230412_171633


What a terrific sentiment – HAPPY EVERYTHING!   Carrie and her family  are what I miss the most when on the road and I can’t wait to see them soon.

20230412_171753



Woods in Bloom


20230413_092241


My daily walks are in the woods and the fields leading to them.  The streams are lovely but shallow as the springs from which they begin are on my property so they don’t have a chance to gain much water other than rainfall as they wind toward the Rockfish River.

Not much rain lately.








20230413_091956


On this later hike, I found the May Apple in bloom and the fiddle heads standing taller.


20230413_092931


20230413_093248


There were sweet violets.

20230413_093610


20230413_100351



Breakfast in Town

20230417_124818


In town running errands one day I stopped at the post office to mail,  to members of David’s family,  some pictures, cards and letters he’d kept.  It was later morning and I hadn’t had breakfast.   From  somewhere came the distinct ‘need’ for pancakes so I walked over to First Watch and had two HUGE and excellent multi-grain blueberry pancakes with Sue Miller for company.





20230417_130234



Neighbors Stop By

Of course at the farm there are always neighbors dropping by.  Not only these, but deer, bluebirds, woodpeckers and……..Whether I have my camera ready is not a certainty.


 




As you can see, farm life is slow and easy.  Not a lot to blog about.  When returning from a 5 month absence there is unfortunately lots of cleaning.  No  pictures of that or mowing the grass or sweeping up all the asian lady beetles and stick bugs who meet their doom inside over the winter.   Lots of hiking, planning, reading and some puzzles.


puzzle


The highlight of April is a visit from Carrie, Celia and Colin.   Next Post and at that point I will be caught up to the present.  WOW!  Finally!

20 comments:

  1. And just like that you're current :-))) Sad to see folks taking advantage of the free parking - aren't Canadians supposed to be nice?? What a delight to get the envelope from Celia. I send post cards to the grands when they turn 4 - there are three now. It's getting harder and harder to find any for kids. They really don't care about pretty views of rocks and sunsets. Your spring flowers are so pretty, what a nice welcome home. Love that Winona gets to be at the farm now, I'm sure you'll both be happier with that arrangement! When do you head out again for summer travels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite current Jodee but I should be after I post the next blog on Carrie and the kids visit to the farm. I wanted to send postcards to Celia and Colin but couldn't find anything for kids to send from the road. Heading out first of June when it gets hot.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that fiddleheads bloomed. The tulips are lovely! Celia's letter is fun. She looks just like Carrie. I can't wait to go back to Botanical Fare with you for another yummy lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't exactly bloom, they just unfurl into ferns but many people eat them when they are fiddleheads. Yes to Botanical Fare.

      Delete
  3. April is always beautiful in Virginia. We should get together for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunch is a great idea. Give me a call and let me know when.

      Delete
  4. How sweet of Celia! That must have made you smile from ear to ear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet it did Laurie. It was a complete surprise.

      Delete
  5. Springtime in Virginia is certainly delightful. Love all the wildflowers and all the green. The puzzle looks fun except for all that white stuff. Not a fan of white space in a puzzle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more about all the one color things in a puzzle. Virginia's beautiful in the spring and the fall. I'm grateful to be able to skip the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter.

      Delete
  6. Rude Canadians...that's unfortunate 😞 And, so many people RVing these
    days. Wow! Beautiful flower pictures at the farm. Sooo glad you liked Celia's surprise mail. Happy Everything! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that she wanted to send that to me and it is a perfect sentiment. Happy everything! Yes indeed!!

      Delete
  7. What a perfect time to return home, just in time to be greeted by all of the spring wildflowers. How sweet that adorable Celia sent you such loving wishes...and of her own accord! Your relaxing days on the farm sound wonderful, and are a perfect balance to your traveling adventures. And just when you've had enough farm time, you'll be heading off on a new adventure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, you summed it all up perfectly Laurel. But my adventures are nothing compared to yours.

      Delete
  8. Reading and eating, I can never decide which activity I like better so I do both at the same time. Now if I can just find a way to keep crumbs out of the pages of my books... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Paul. I love to read and eat but what I eat is usually not good at all for me.....snack, snack, snack.

      Delete
  9. Oh Wallydocking, not my fave but glad it's usually available and would hate to see it go away. The goat is adorable. So are the Spring flowers. But best is Celia, who looks so much like Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I don't know who you are. I depend on Walmart for overnigthts when all I want is a place to sleep and get back on the road the next morning. Why pay $50+ just to over night??

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.