Sunday, January 1, 2023

North for the Holiday

December 22,  2022 to                                                     Most Recent Posts:
January 1st 2023                                                      Other Damage in Flagler
Reisterstown, Maryland                                          Gamble on the Riverside


I thought I was going to quickly stick this Holiday Post in and then go back to my Winter in Florida.   But things got in the way and it has taken me days to do this post.  You’ll see why later.

As most of you probably experienced, this December holiday season was a bitterly cold one nearly everywhere.  And thank goodness my airline tickets to go from Tampa International to BWI were not on Southwest.   I might not be back yet if they were.


IMG_5065I drove an hour to the Tampa airport where I had already arranged for 5 days of parking for $66 in their “economy garage” which is at least a mile from the American Airline gates.  Lucky I need the steps.

I had to print out that QR code thing in order to get in and out of the garage.  OR take a chance that it would show up on my phone when I needed it.  Of course that meant I had to be able to find this sheet of paper when I returned to Tampa 5 days later.

Still I am SO glad I printed the parking one out since the boarding QR codes on my phone only came up for the first leg of each flight and would not come up for the second so I had to have a ticket printed at the gate both times.   Is new technology really better??


20221222_084936

The flights took all day long on Thursday the 22nd with a 3.5 hour layover in Atlanta.  There were no non stop flights that didn’t leave in the dark at 5am or come back in the dark at 11pm. 

Because of all the “stuff” going around, I wore a mask in the airport and in the airplane. 

While I waited, I saw the coat I wished I had worn given that the temperatures turned out to be in the single digits.  If she puts that hood on, she is covered from head to feet.



PXL_20221222_175041986



We have a family tradition of pastries on Christmas day so the only time I actually had to go outside was to walk from the house to the car and the car to the bakery.  That was quite enough.  We hadn’t gone very far when the sleet began and got harder and harder.  The defrost and windshield wipers could hardly keep up.  We made it to the bakery and by the time we finished with the difficult choices the sleet had stopped.

Very enticing window display.  And even better inside.


PXL_20221223_135125532



Will visions of sugar plums dance in his head?

PXL_20221223_134209600


PXL_20221223_135027651


Just look at the yummies.

PXL_20221223_135104325


PXL_20221223_135108173



Colin had gotten reindeer glasses at school on his last day and everyone loved them and wore them.  Celia wore them to the bakery.  Carrie wore them playing Uno.  I wore them just because.


PXL_20221223_134111626PXL_20221223_170712015











IMG_5048



PXL_20221223_142929142


Of course if you go to the bakery to get goodies for Christmas morning, you have to sample them when you get home.  Nobody enjoys a donut like a 4 year old.  Unless it is a six year old on Christmas morning.







IMG_5059


We played lots of games the days before Christmas as it was WAY too cold to go outside.  Sorry and Uno were among the favorites.


 


Celia helped her daddy made Christmas Cookies.


20221224_100328


At 12:15 with cookies in the oven the power went out and was out for 12 hours.  As their house is all electric, that meant that nothing worked.  No heat,  no water, no oven, no microwave, careful opening of the refrigerator and use of the bathroom.   We went out to dinner and went to bed.   Matthew had candles all over the house.  Not sure why I took no pictures of any of this.  We all slept in layers of clothing – I had on long underwear tops and bottoms, fleece pants, a sweatshirt, 2 pairs of sox and my blue fleecy coat.  It was 48 degrees inside when I woke up and the power had been on for 6 hours by that point.   But thankfully this was the 23rd not Christmas eve or day.


On Christmas Eve I posed by the tree in my elf outfit with the warning Better Not Pout.  Santa had not come yet.  Matthew had made Santa an extra large cookie as he has to keep up his strength to make all the deliveries.  The picture is deceptive.  This was a BIG cookie.  Bigger than my hand.


PXL_20221225_012324895PXL_20221225_145623723


I had let Colin and Celia open one present from me on Christmas eve so they could wear the onsies to bed.   They posed before the tree on their way to bed.  Pretty excited!  I’d like to have footed pjs for myself.




Here’s the temperature on Christmas Eve.  Notice “feels like –11”.

Temps



The tree looked even lovelier on Christmas morning with the presents all around.

PXL_20221225_012237258


Celia looked carefully and found only crumbs on the cookie plate and no milk in the mug.  Nothing like the faces of children on Christmas morning.


PXL_20221225_124256161PXL_20221225_124316585











Celia had gone shopping at her school’s “gift shop” and bought these fantastic earmuffs for her mommy.   I was seriously coveting them.   Matthew too was sporting fine holiday wear.  Snoopy is a family favorite.


PXL_20221225_124832002PXL_20221225_130506602











I guess I was too busy watching as this picture of Colin opening a present seems to be the only one I took.

PXL_20221225_130626016


I got a wonderful pair of very nice sunglasses from the kids.


20221225_080333


Christmas afternoon Carrie and Matthew hosted the entire Iwanowski family.  There were a total of 30 folks present.  I’m not going to try to name everyone in these pictures but Matthew’s Mother Joan is on the right hand side of the sofa in the picture below.


PXL_20221226_003935481


I took a video of the sounds of this many people having fun in one place but unfortunately the video didn’t come out.  Only the sound and I’m not bright enough to know how to publish a sound file alone.   So you don’t get to hear the sound track with voices on voices talking at once.  Really too bad.  It would add a lot to the pictures. 


PXL_20221226_004005428


Matthew’s father Bob is in the plaid shirt on the left end of the table beyond Carrie.

PXL_20221226_004603561


One of the traditional gifts from Matthew’s brother Mark to every single one of these people is 3 lottery tickets.  You scratch and he pays.  Of course he will get reimbursed when he takes the winners back to the store he purchased the tickets from.  Here’s Carrie working on hers and Celia’s and Colin’s.   I think together they won $140.


PXL_20221225_190930031

On Christmas Day it was 4 degrees and felt like –12. Needless to say no one was doing anything outside.

Screenshot weather











We spent the day after Christmas playing with Christmas gifts. 

Colin really liked the marble race I gave him,  You create the race in any way you want and the marbles run through.  Infinite possibilities for construction.


PXL_20221226_142848281

PXL_20221226_142602028











There were art projects and sewing projects.

PXL_20221226_151101948PXL_20221226_154124460



And the next day it was time for me to leave.  The 5 days of Christmas were over.  Everybody had to go back to work and school.   Another full day of airplanes and layovers.  Thank goodness I wasn’t on southwest.

I was very careful to wear an N95  mask under my other mask both in the airport and on the plane going both directions.   So I was completely surprised to wake up on Wednesday morning the 28th, the day after I got home and find that I had some sort of dreaded disease complete with a fever of 101.5, diarrhea, a death rattle sounding cough and such fatigue that by the second day I couldn’t get out of bed.  I ate nothing but bananas and toast the entire time.   This crud has lasted now for another 5 days as though to try to erase my 5 days of Christmas. 

As I post this, I still have a fever of 99.5 and the cough and very low energy. 

I wish you all a Happy New Year and hope the new year brings me an end to this illness.

PS   It has been in the upper 70’s since I’ve returned from the frigid mid atlantic not that I’ve been outside for even 5 minutes.   Maybe today’s the day.

27 comments:

  1. Oh Sherry, no wonder it took so long to write this post with all the good parts, even the power out didn't last incredibly long for days and days thank goodness. So sorry you are sick. I think it has something to do with airports and airplanes, and sad to see that even a mask can't save you. Then again it might have to do with being around 30 people all day on Christmas. Who knows. Hoping you get better really quickly now. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Since Matthew's uncle got sick on Wednesday just like I did and that was 3 days after the 30-person gathering at their house, I'm pretty sure it didn't come from the airport and that if I had worn my n95 mask all day long Christmas Day I might not have gotten this but of course nobody would do that I don't think.

      Delete
  2. Oh Sherry, my heart is broken for you!! I wondered why we haven't heard from you since you left. You are in our fervent prayers...❤❤

    The bakery is certainly enviting, it makes me want some pastries now. The pic of you at the tree is fantastic! And the marble race is a really cool gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shane I am definitely accepting sympathy. It's a serious bummer to leave Christmas and be sick for 5 days.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! Nothing worse than being sick, so I won't post anything to make you laugh, I wouldn't want you to have a coughing fit. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that would definitely happen Paul. Still coughing after 5 days. Ugggg

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear you got sick despite all those precautions. My sister's family got sick after a fairly large get together, only they got a nasty norovirus that made the rounds and they had to cancel a nice holiday dinner. A lot of bad stuff that still manages to get us despite trying to be cautious. I hope you are feeling much better soon. Lovely holiday, so glad you weren't sick through that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is the blessing in it Jeannie that I didn't get it until I left Carrie's house

      Delete
  5. Those pastries look awesome, how ever did you decide on what to take home?! Lovely tree and fun family time for the big day. Glad you were still feeling okay for the trip back. I'm assuming you've tested negative for COVID and have just some seasonal crud that still finds its way :-(( Hope you're up and able to enjoy some warm outside time soon! Happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came outside today for the first time in 5 days. Now if I could just quit coughing things would really be looking up.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, nothing worse than being sick during the holidays, well for you, after the holidays. I assume it was/is a "normal" sickness as opposed to Covid? Although sick is sick! Hopefully warmer temperatures will dry out your cough. I didn't realize that Matthew and Carrie live in Reisterstown! One of our good friends and former pastor lived there. He was Pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not covid but the cough is a bear. Not sure about that warmer temps clearing out my cough in Florida's humidity although who knows.

      Delete
  7. It was wonderful having you here and I'm so sorry the aftermath was so bad. I count us lucky that we didn't get whatever it is. Love the pictures. It really was a fun time despite the low temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. And so wonderful to see you all.

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry that you got sick, Sherry, despite your best efforts. Ugh...

    I can't believe how much the kids have grown. They are so adorable and I am so glad you got to spend Christmas with them. The gathering reminds me of my family's Christmas for many years. We always had 30-40 relatives and friends on Christmas day. My niece's husband used to say that he was sure there were people there whom no one knew! My mother was a gracious hostess and was fine with her relatives bringing friends who had no other plans. The pictures are all great. Sending you many wishes for a wonderful 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you in the first comments of 2023 Pam. I'm sending those wishes right back to you.

      Delete
  9. Your Christmas with the kids looked so festive and fun—I loved the pic of you in your elf outfit and also the reindeer glasses on everyone. I'm so sorry that you got sick. :-(( And you were so careful! I hope you'll soon be feeling better and enjoying warm Florida temperatures, sunny skies, and beach walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel. It's 6 days of thus crud and I'm very sick of being sick.

      Delete
  10. Technology rarely makes things easier or quicker. Yet you enjoyed another wonderful family Christmas with just a few glitches, until getting sick. Certainly hope you are improved and enjoying FL weather again. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely enjoying the warm Florida weather Gaelyn though all I can do is sit in it and sleep. Day 6 of the crud. Sitting around at doc in the box as I type this.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. No it is not William and I have not been in a very long time. But this is seeming never ending.

      Delete
  12. Yea to yummy pastries! Celia is certainly enjoying hers! Boo to nasty viruses that make you feeling so bad that your eyelashes ache!@#!
    The Christmas tree is very pretty. I like big fat trees. I knew that Colin would like the marble maze- Finn still enjoys his and it is creative. You have to figure out how to build it so that the marble travels through more obstacles. Sending you feel better hugs- xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I need all the help I can get with this.

      Delete
  13. Having returned to Tampa’s economy lot today, I am wondering why you walked from the garage to the terminal? Intentionally for exercise, or you didn’t realize there’s an airport tram that runs back and forth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the haze of my illness, I forgot all about the tram which of course took me to the terminal where I then walked what seemed to be miles to my gate.

      Delete
  14. Sorry I’m late commenting….Holidays plus a technical issue.
    For one whose resolution is typical at this time of year, I find it difficult to read (as usual) your in depth coverage of foods like cookies, candy, pastries, donuts, and on and on. LOL.

    Sometimes reading your blogs creates a personal challenge as they make me drool with envy …. Yes because of your nomadic lifestyle, but also because of the pizzas and ice cream and……well, you get my drift.

    I wonder what’s in ‘store’ next time. 🤔

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.