Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Days Before and After at Alafia River

December 17-22 & 27-30, 2022                             Most Recent Posts:
Alafia River State Park Site 5                      Winding Up Wekiwa Springs
Lithia, Florida                                   More Wonderful Days at Wekiwa Springs


My days at Alafia River State Park before flying to visit Carrie and her family for the holidays were very different than my days after I returned.  All of these photographs are from the days before my trip north.

20221228_143244I had a two week reservation split into thirds.  The first 5 days at the park 6 days in Maryland two of which I was flying and 3 days back at the park before leaving on December 30.

My site was a pull through which is always nice though seldom as private as a back in.  The real advantage is that I could both take the car off and put it back on the RV in my site which was a serious blessing when I had to move on.


This was the view from my bedroom window.

20221229_082828Alafia River State Park was a phosphate mine beginning in the 19th century.  Mining altered the landscape and created new landforms such as small lakes and steep grades.  The 7743 acres  was donated to the state in 1993.  Currently it is well known for its mountain biking and equestrian trails. 

The forest has grown back and the area where mountain biking exists is an erratic mixture of pond depressions and abrupt hills jutting from the surface. The park claims to have some of the most radical elevation changes in the state which of course is primarily flat flat flat.  This left over strip mining topography has 20 miles of trails much of which can also be hiked.


This is the view out my living room windows of Lake Hurrah.  I’ve never seen anyone but ducks and a few fishermen using the lake.  Still it’s a pretty spot.

20221228_143008


I spent most of the beginning days here both hiking and reading on my patio.  Unfortunately for me, the recent hurricane had taken out the boat launch and bridge on the Alafia River.

PXL_20221217_182549648


As with most state parks, happily the trail heads were easy walking distance from my site.  Some of them were mown through tall grasses on their way into the woods and others were wooded from the start.



20221217_113328My first hike took me by a new addition to the park.  They call it Comfy Camping.  I’d not been here to Alafia in two years because of Covid and vandalism.  Thus I had never seen this.

There are 3 set ups like this one that you can reserve.  It would be fun camping for a family group.

The sites were occupied several times during my stay here.


20221217_113244


But I was never able to get pictures of the things under the covers by the outdoor tables on the right.   I assume they are the advertised camping cook-station table with a butane burner as well as a charcoal grill.


20221221_140725


Picnic table under a shade structure and Nice hammock on the left.

20221221_140740


And very nice campfire seating complete with flower pots.  You can see a campsite in the short distance.

20221221_140754


The tent entrance has a nice bank of solar panels but they would not support heaters or air conditioning.   The website says “starts at $99 a night” with a queen size bed.   There are some nice pictures of the inside of the sleeping quarters on the website.

20221221_140812



From there I walked on by the horse barn which has 6 very nice stalls for folks who want to ride the trails and spend the night in their RV or horse trailer.

20221217_113406


While I was walking along the road by the horse barn on my way to the trail head for the trail that goes around the lake, I saw this duo.

20221217_113431


It’s a bit hard to see the hat and googles worn by the dog since they are both black.

20221217_113435


The lake trail head goes along a mown path through a field to those trees in the distance.

20221217_120259


20221217_120621


I believe it is an all purpose trail open to bikes, hikers and horse back riders.   I saw no one.

20221217_121543


And the little back dot ducks were the only wildlife around.

20221217_121620


20221217_121654


Nearly every day I went out on one or another of the trails open to hikers.  Most are through the woods.

20221218_140355


and often over bridges or other wooden structures set up by the SouthWest Association of Mountain Bike Pedlers who originally created and maintained the mountain bike trails which are now maintained by the Friends of Alafia club.  In previous posts I have shown pictures of some of the swoops and swirls on those trails.   If you’d like to see them, type in Alafia River in the search box at the top left of the blog.  I’ve read that the bike trails are rated Epic  by the International Mountain Biking Association.  Epic sounds pretty serious.    I intended to get pictures of those more difficult bike runs after my trip North but of course that didn’t happen.


20221218_140832


20221218_141529


On another day I came upon this hawk sitting on a snag right on the trail.  I was very close to him and stood stone still watching him and taking pictures for quite some time.  Unfortunately as you can see from the shot below, the sun was directly behind the hawk and I was afraid to pass him to get shots from a better angle where he might be something more than a shadow.  I was pretty sure he’d fly away if I tried to pass right by his perch.

20221218_141817


So unfortunately these were the best shots I have.  The one on the right shows him  standing facing the same direction as the one on the left but turning his head around and looking behind him.   Amazing that they can do that.  Makes for 360 degree vision.


20221218_14194320221218_142112













20221218_142343



Other trails on other days.


20221218_142649


20221218_142835


This particular pond had an alligator lazing on its far bank.  The only gator I saw in the park.


20221219_150308


20221219_150324


I was very taken with this tree stump and wondered how such a design could have happened.


20221219_152214

20221219_153302











Isn’t it beautiful?  Is it natural?  Or a woodburner with portable tools?

20221219_153226



The day after I returned to the park I was sick and unable to do anything for the remainder of my stay.  It was quite a difficult ordeal to pack up and  move to Highlands Hammock where I did go to Urgent Care in Sebring for all the good it did me.  It is very hard to be traveling alone when you are ill.  But that’s for my next post.

25 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely place. I don't remember you talking about this park in the past so it was a nice read. Would have been nice anyway, in case I just didn't remember. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several very interesting trails that didn't make this post but are in previous ones.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you were not feeling well. I always like Alafia. It spoke to me. As well, I met some really good people there. Some I still stay in touch with over the years. Nice pics. Brings back good memories. Hope all is well. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I stay on the smaller pull thru side, I don't meet people like you did. But I like it and it's a good spot to stay for the Tampa Airport. Good to hear from you Chris.

      Delete
  3. We've never been to this park, so am especially appreciative of this blog... the site looks pretty nice, tranquil and spacious.
    The Comfy Camping setup is pretty impressive, especially for those that don't have much gear and need to just get off work and show up in a car or something. Really better than most that have the tents already set up, like Lake Louisa and a few other state parks.
    The tree stump is fabulous, and obviously I could be wrong, but I think that's all natural. I've seen different fungi leave marks similar to that where I've had to cut down fallen trees on my property to a very small degree, but nothing as thorough and beautiful as that one. It does make me wonder if I've noticed it more on one's that broke from storms that I dropped or crowded ones that I girdles ayear or so prior. Have to pay more attention. Definitely a beautiful and intriguing find, thanks so much for sharing Sherry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you find about the trees with "designs". I thought this one was particularly lovely. Thanks for your great comment Shayne.

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the dog, that just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you were sick. Must be difficult as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lynne. Why in the world would blogger make you Anonymous? Hope you and Ted and the kids had a great holiday.

      Delete
  6. This was from Lynne D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let’s see….. a motorcycle, plus a camping trailer hitched to the rear with a kayak strapped on top. Sidecar optional.

    Can you imagine just how much easier nomadic life would be?! No more dealing with finicky hydraulic levelers, just a kickstand.

    (Re the sidecar: You might want to consider it for toting your library of books…..🤪 )

    What a hoot! You could start all over again.

    https://www.motorcyclecamping.com/

    Just a thought. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to consider it but after the luxury of Winnona, it's for sure not in my future. 😂

      Delete
    2. …….he said, tongue in cheek. 😉

      Delete
  8. Looks like a peaceful place. Love those Yert type camping places. Gives people a taste of camping without the hassle. Interesting leaf or fern on the stump. Almost looks like it was sunburned onto it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunburned is a very interesting idea Laurie. I'm not sure how that would happen in the shady sort of place where it was.

      Delete
  9. Lovely park. So many trails! The comfy camping is an interesting idea. I bet some folks like it a lot. I am glad you got to enjoy it there before you got the mysterious illness. Could it have been RSV, I wonder? Who will ever know and I hope it is fully gone now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I still have the cough. I've talked other people who have also had a long running cough although mine is moving in to being a month long which seems unusual. I'll look up RSV and see if it has the symptoms I had. Thanks for the thought.

      Delete
  10. Loved your picture of the dog in the sidecar, I'd love to do that! First I need to get a sidecar for my motorcyle, next I need to get a dog. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty wooded areas. Sorry you didn't get to see more. No fun being sick on the road, especially solo. Love mom nature's tree art, all the more in response to being cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been here several times before so I've seen and blogged about it all previously. Still, no fun being sick. Nature's artwork, amazing!

      Delete
  12. Hope you are feeling better by the time you read this! Looks like a great park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannie. I'm better but not 100% yet.

      Delete
  13. I like the picture of the lake and wispy clouds right before the hawk photo. All the greenery along the trails is very nice. Love Lake Hurrrah! Wonder if there is a Lake Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. Lake Woo Hoo made me laugh 😂.

      Delete
  14. I really like that pull through spot you had - water views are always a treat. How great to spend some time with the hawk. Love those unique trails through the palms and other Florida flora. Seeing gators while hiking feels so "wild" to me :-))

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.