Monday, October 31, 2022

Foggy Foggy Mountains

Tuesday August 16, 2022                                   Most Recent Posts:
Bear Den Family Campground       Mast General Store & Crab Orchard Falls
MP 324 Blue Ridge Parkway               Crabtree Falls and Little Switzerland
North Carolina


What a day!!   I started out to hike to Roaring Fork and Setrock Creek Falls which are both at the base of Mount Mitchell.

First, Ruby would not start.  No sound at all.  I tried every gear and neutral.  Nothing.  So I sat there.  Now What??  I waited maybe 10 minutes, tried again and she started right up.  Oh boy.   Could she do this to me when I’m miles away from anywhere?


20220816_131930I drove off and hoped for the best.  It is one mile from my site to get out of the campground and onto the Blue Ridge Parkway.  There was no sign as I left of what I would find on the parkway.

I drove south on the parkway and in less than a mile the fog was so thick it was scary.  I could not see any further than 2 or 3 feet ahead and had to watch the center line to make sure I was on the road.  The camera somehow was able to make the fog look less thick than it was.  Though that wasn’t how it looked when I stopped on the road to take this picture.




After about 3 miles I managed to see a pull over sign for the other side of the road so I inched along until I could see to pull in.  4 other vehicles were also there.  I sat and read (I NEVER go anywhere without a book) for an hour but the fog did not lift.  Below is the “view” from the overlook


20220816_165447




20220816_165500



3 of the 4 cars were still there when I gave up and creeped back to Bear Den where again there was no fog.  I couldn’t tell when or if the fog would lift but at 1pm I started out again.








No fog for a mile or so and then there it was but not so thick.  I continued 19 miles in varying degrees of visibility and rain thinking I’m crazy but half way through my stay at Bear Den with much more I want to see.  I really have only 12 days remaining here unless I break my no going out on the week end rule.


IMG_3460


Still foggy but not as bad as earlier.

IMG_3461


Once I turned off the Parkway onto Route 80 the fog totally disappeared and I drove on to Roaring Fork Falls.  I passed two groups coming out given the later time than usual for me.  I virtually never start a hike in the afternoon. But this has been a strange day from the beginning.

  Then the rain started.  It was light and I had a rain coat and I’d driven all this way.  So on I went.  The trail at first was not puddles of water which surprised me.


IMG_3462


The cool fungi is definitely a result of all the rain in these mountains.  I suppose the Hoh Rainforest in Washington has plenty as well.  It’s been a long time since I was there but I’d sure like to go back.

IMG_3465


On the trail I passed these two cinder block buildings.  My mind tried to make up a story about them but no good ones showed up.  Later I read that they were concrete bunkers formerly used to store explosives.  Used by whom?  For what?Why?  Google refused to answer.


IMG_3466IMG_3468


Roaring Fork Falls is 100’ high and seems almost to meander down through the rocks.  So beautiful!


IMG_3473


It was a lovely and almost restful falls. I was extremely careful taking pictures as the rocks were wet.  I took the ones above with my canon and the ones below with my phone.

No possibility of sitting and enjoying because everything was so wet even though I was surprisingly the only one there.   The rain continued lightly off and on.

These phone pictures start at a distance and move closer.


PXL_20220816_183320445PXL_20220816_183329645











The “I was here “ selfie shows the actual distance I was from the falls.

PXL_20220816_183332122PXL_20220816_183934691











So gorgeous close up.   I hope you’ll also enjoy this video on the falls.

IMG_3480


I left when it started raining more seriously.

Tricky hiking out with rocks and roots.  I hope the heavy traffic hasn’t damaged the roots of these trees enough to kill them.   I always try to walk on the ground and not on the roots if possible but I know from experience that others are not so concerned.

IMG_3484


Looking down I could see that fall has begun in Mid August here in the North Carolina Mountains.

IMG_3485


I walked out along the stream as the rain continued to come down.

IMG_3489


Remember that dry trail on my hike in?  Here’s what it looked like on my way out.

IMG_3491

 

Back to Ruby and 3 more miles, most of it on the gravel South Toe River Road,  to the forest service Black Mountain Campground which it turns out is in Mount Mitchell State Park. 


IMG_3494Parking is across from the campground entrance and several trailheads go off from it including the Mountains to Sea trail which goes east to west clear across North Carolina and a trail that goes up Mount Mitchell.  I’d read about both and learned that the trail up Mount Mitchell was an 11.7 mile out and back trail considered challenging and takes over 7 hours.  Not for me.  Mount Mitchell, known as Attakulla to the Native Cherokee, is the highest peak in the Appalachian Mountains

I did wonder about the MST.  I always wanted to be a thru hiker on the Appalachian Trail and had a map of it hanging by my bed so I saw it every morning at the farm.  But I’ve had to settle for being a section hiker.  The AT is roughly 2190 miles going south to north.  I looked up the MST, going east to west, and found it is 1150 miles.  I’d like to do some sections of it but not today.  

On to the Setrock Creek Trail.  There were a dozen cars already in the parking lot outside the campground entrance, so clearly I’m not the only one who hikes in the rain.  Or at least not here, with so many trailheads.


IMG_3495




IMG_3503The Setrock Creek Falls Trailhead was just inside the campground before you get to the sites.  No water, electric or sewer here.   I checked out the campground after my hike and it had some nice sites but the road to get to it back here in the Pisgah National Forest is not for Winnona.

The rain had stopped when I started down the trail to this slightly smaller falls.


Rocky steps and more rooty paths.

IMG_3504



IMG_3507


And then the falls.  Like Roaring Fork Falls it is in the Pisgah National Forest and at the base of Mount Mitchell.   It’s a 75’ falls and despite today’s rain, was not as full as nearby Roaring Fork.


IMG_3520




PXL_20220816_194753277


As you can see, I have a very hard time choosing which photos at which distance I want to use.  Still these are only a fraction of what I took.   Waterfalls are just so fantastic.

PXL_20220816_194850927




PXL_20220816_194901513



PXL_20220816_194924910


The rain began again and harder as I left.  It was after 4pm by this time and two more groups were just hiking in.  Good luck to them.


PXL_20220816_195024378


Back on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the fog was some what lighter on my return trip and no other cars were going my way until a black pick up without lights on – Is he crazy – pulled out right in front of me from a side road leading to Spruce Pine.  He surely must have seen me with my lights on.  But I had to put on the brakes.  Was he paying no attention.

Then  amazingly, he put his flashers on but not his lights and kept hitting the brakes so I had to as well to keep from being too close to him.  This went on for 5 aggravating  miles and of course he turned into the Bear Den Campground.   Pretty sure he would not have had to hit the brakes so often if he could see better which his headlights obviously would have allowed in this lighter fog.

Foggy rainy day but lovely falls.  Earlier in my stay here I would have curled up with a book on a day like this.  But I’m running out of time and still have things left to see and do.

23 comments:

  1. I walked in a heavy drizzle this morning. Was ok, but driving in heavy fog, terrible. Glad you pulled over. Day turned out fine for you after all. Nice falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get off to a bit of a slow start but it turned out great. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of fog either. We get the marine layer here, which doesn't burn off until 11 am or so. Mostly in the summer, but for some reason we're having it now too. Can be scary driving in it! Another lovely waterfall video :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the video Laurie. The farm has a lot of morning fog on days of rain or high humidity but I don't usually drive-in fog.

      Delete
  3. wow. Maybe you had the falls to yourself because not many people would hike in that rain or drive in that fog. Not me!! Foggy days here in Oregon and I am cozied up with a puzzle, a quilt, or something warm and fuzzy to play with, including the dog. LOL Guess what??!! go read Laurel's blog!! She has exciting news with something about North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already knew what they had planned. But it was wonderful to read the post and see the picture of the house similar to what they are building. I hate to see them give up that fantastic house in that wonderful location especially after all the work they did. But I get it and the community they're going to sounds like a great place. Not sure about winters.

      Delete
  4. I stayed at Bear Den Campground April of 2021. When I checked out and started heading down the Parkway I ran into the same fog you did. It was terrifying how little you could see. In fact, I think it was one of my scariest adventures in ten years of RVing. I’m so glad you could find a place to pull over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you really know what I'm talking about Cindy. How did you like Bear Den?

      Delete
  5. Not a fan of fog and the craziness of some folks when driving in it. I can understand your wanting to check things off your bucket list, but I think I would have been like Sue!
    If you want good hiking, incredible views and amazing waterfalls, then the Superior Hiking Trail along the North Shore of Minnesota is your ticket. Fall color this year was pretty astonishing.
    Sounds like Ruby needs a good checkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could address you by name but since Blogger made you anonymous, I can't. It wasn't my bucket list so much as I knew I would never come back to this campground and probably not to any near and these were things that I really wanted to see. It turned out great.
      Could you recommend a campground that I could stay a month or more on the North Shore of Minnesota next summer? How are the black flies and mosquitos?

      Delete
  6. I can dress for rain but can't see to drive in fog. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I did pretty well too gaylen thanks for the compliment. But it was scary out there in the beginning which is why I turned around and waited.

      Delete
  7. Hey Sherry.

    Happy to hear you had a nice day despite the fog and rain and white knuckle driving, and even happier to read that you made it back safely.

    As you report your solo treks in the backwoods, I always wonder if you are prepared for emergencies such as tripping over a tree root and falling down one of those slippery slopes and possibly being injured.

    Being equipped with a good book and a raincoat doesn’t seem adequate. 😉

    BTW - I’m assuming Ruby recovered from her hiccup. Still no clue as to the cause?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've been following along you know that I had trouble with ruby starting earlier and took her in and had the starter replaced so I have no idea what the problem is and it's totally intermittent. What would you suggest I carry with me for these emergencies You describe? I'm very pleased to see you in the comment section.

      Delete
    2. I’m sure, being the seasoned hiker you are, you know all the essentials like water, specific clothing, bug
      repellent, fire starter, etc.

      I’m thinking more along the lines of a personal location beacon. Not that you would ever get lost, but just in case you fell and there was no one around.

      Just a thought only because I care about you.

      As far as Ruby, is there room in the trunk for a mechanics toolbox and a spare starter, just in case? Oh, and the appropriate repair manual (since you like books so much…..)

      LOL.

      Delete
    3. Very cute. I'm seldom hiking anywhere that there aren't other people so I don't think I need Any sort of personal location Beacon. I can hardly afford mobile Wi-Fi.

      Delete
  8. Ruby and I are two peas in a pod. I don't start too well first thing in the morning either! ;c)

    I too never go anywhere without a book, I have dozens stashed on my Kindle that I slip in my pocket. I'd go crazy if I couldn't read. Wait! I'm already crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess always carrying a book makes you and I two peas in a pod. Hope things are going well for you and Marti.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, love water falls. Thanks for sharing. I am thankful that Ruby started when you got back to her. I was worried for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Pam. I think you might say I'm a rather extreme waterfaller. Nearly every day which of course is why I came to Western North Carolina since they have so many. This starting problem is very odd since replacing the it's replacing the starter which I did a few weeks before I was supposed to fix that problem.

      Delete
  11. Driving in fog is scary! So glad you were safe and that you were still able to satisfy your passion for waterfall hikes. You're definitely adding some great hikes to our to-do list, now that we're going to be living there! As you can imagine, these are surreal times for us as we prepare our house for sale. We are working morning to night....but I needed to take a break to read your blog so that I don't miss the wonderful adventures you had in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never go anywhere w/o a book either, you never know... and i can easily entertain myself for hours!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems like when my blog reading slowed down, your blog posting picked up!! So I am far behind on your NC adventures which I don't want to miss a minute of. I'm a lover of fog if I don't have do drive in the pea-soup, especially on an unfamiliar road. Glad Ruby managed to start for the rest of the day! Beautiful falls and your pics in the rain turned out great.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.