Thursday, October 20, 2022

Crabtree Falls and Little Switzerland

August 12, 2022                                                                Most Recent Posts:
Bear Den Family Campground                Busy Day in Western North Carolina
Blue Ridge Parkway                                              Tom, Marion and Haircut
Spruce Pine, North Carolina


Today I was heading to Crabtree Falls right off the Blue Ridge Parkway at MP 339.5.  That’s pretty much exactly 15 miles from Bear Den Campground.  Close by in terms of these mountains.


The falls is quite famous so I was surprised to see that the visitor center was no longer in use and the restrooms were closed.

   From the parking lot surrounding it,  you walk by the amphitheater which also appears to no longer be in use.  Then through the campground which looks very nice if you want to boondock.  There are restrooms there that you can use on your way to or from the trailhead.


IMG_3329


It was a little tricky finding the trail head but not too bad.  This waterfall hike, like most, started in the woods.



And in the mountains of North Carolina the trail almost always goes through rhododendron.  Best to come in June for those.





Often there are steps going down or maybe up.



Usually there are rocks. 

IMG_3297


Sometimes the rocks are big.  Probably best to always have a hiking pole.

IMG_3298


Eventually you can hear yourself getting closer to the sound of the water.  AnduUltimately it will come into your first view.

IMG_3299


The closer you get the louder the noise and the better the view.

IMG_3305


Crabtree really is a gorgeous falls.  70 feet high.


IMG_3314


The way it has carved out ridges for the cascades to flow over is beautiful.

IMG_3313



IMG_3315




IMG_3316


The traditional view is the one from above but very unusually for me, I like this one with the tree which has grown right in front of the falls.


Two different shots.  The above taken with my Canon and the lower with my phone.  Not sure which I like best so I put them both in here.  Do you have a preference?


20220812_094545



Look at the place the tree has carved out for itself.   Nature is just amazing.

IMG_3324


And of course, the I was here selfie.

20220812_094418


The way out was across the bridge and UP the steps and stones.


20220812_094439












If you’d like to see and hear the lovely Crabtree Falls, use this link.


On my way back, I can now stop and check out the overlooks I passed on my way to the falls.  I was early enough only to see a couple of folks at the falls when I arrived.  Being early is why I skipped this on my way.

IMG_3332


It was quite windy up here which I hadn’t realized when I was on the hike through the woods to the falls.


IMG_3344


Which three knobs??  This panorama video will show you the views and let you hear how windy.  The sound isn’t traffic, it’s the wind.


IMG_3351


IMG_3352


Not sure what I was expecting of Little Switzerland where I had come for lunch.   I knew it was mostly known for the  Switzerland Inn which I visited on another day when my friend Sharon came to visit me. 

The “town” seems comprised of a post office which told me that the elevation was 3434 feet and the population 46 people.   I guess that’s the year round population.


IMG_3355


The view from the post office across the road was of the one and only other building in Little Switzerland.  I didn’t know that the village is extremely well known to motorcyclists as it offers “the famous diamondback”.  This is a 38 mile diamond shaped loop using NC 226A, US 221, NC 80.  No wonder US 221 was so steep and curvy on my way to Marion.  But it’s the only way to get there. 



Somehow I was expecting chalet looking places as it is advertised as a “quaint taste of Europe”.  Wherever that is, I didn’t see it yet.    The only business in town was a big long low building with a cafe on the left side and on the right, a seriously great bookstore which sells many other things including coffee and coffee beans.

IMG_3385


The building looked more like something you might see out west with the wooden boardwalk connecting the stores.


It wasn’t quite late enough in the day for me to be hungry for lunch yet so I visited the Book Shop first.

IMG_3379


You don’t get one step inside the door before there are things to look at on the left and right.   LOVE the checkerboard floor.


IMG_3360


Once you enter, you have to decide.  Turn left?  Go straight, go right?  The store is a maze of rooms each filled to the brim with interesting things.  A gift givers paradise.

IMG_3363


IMG_3364


Among the MANY things that caught my eye were these.  They made me laugh.

IMG_3366


IMG_3367


I had to pay attention to which way I was turning so I didn’t get lost.

IMG_3369


I made it back to home base and then saw the stair case going upstairs.

IMG_3370


Up there were more rooms and books books and more books.  I could seriously have spent the entire day in this place.

IMG_3371


Luckily there is a restroom or whatever you want to call it.  And it has a stained glass window.




While you are waiting for the Loo, you can see any of the books on all of the walls of the anti room and even reach the ones on top with the ladder.  There is yet another, tiny as a closet room, with no door but book shelves floor to ceiling on 3 sides.








The rooms up here off of the open stairway were small and specific.  Though not quite as small as the above space.  This one had maps and globes and binoculars and telescopes.  And books about anything connected to any of them.   I called it the map room.

IMG_3375


I know I spent well over an hour looking at the rooms both down and upstairs before I headed down again and out to find my way to lunch.   Don’t miss this spot if you are in the area.

IMG_3377


Even the wooden walk connecting the two stores was filled with tables and metal yard art for sale.


An entire barnyard.


Or Peacock anyone?



IMG_3393

I walked the few steps up to the Switzerland Cafe which is the only spot to eat other than the Inn which was I fear a bit too high toned for my hiking boots and my budget.





I looked around inside and then grabbed this empty table outside.

IMG_3380


First thing to check out of course is dessert.  They have some yummy looking things.

IMG_3381


There was more seating inside than out so I felt lucky to have gotten a table on the “porch”??



I ordered their cafe BBQ platter.  The say their pork is hickory smoked for 12 hours then pulled from the bone and simmered in their own special sauce. It came with coleslaw, baked beans and buttermilk cornbread.

The BBQ was good and that’s saying something since it is being compared with the great BBQ at Paulie’s Pig Out near the farm.   It was David’s hands down favorite and I too don’t think it can be beat.  We kept trying both BBQ and Cherry Pie to see if we could find one to tie David’s pie and Paulie’s BBQ.  So far we’ve had some good ones but those two are still #1.



With all the food above, I took the raspberry cheese cake for desert home with me.

Better than what I had in Marion by a mile.

 

If you are ever in Nelson County Virginia where there is also a gorgeous Crabtree Falls, give me a shout out and we’ll pick some BBQ up from Paulie and you can judge for yourself.   But do try the Switzerland Cafe if in this area.  I’m glad I did. 

25 comments:

  1. Love, love, love that bookstore and the falls were pretty spectacular also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They both were really great. So glad to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. That store looks incredible, and your food photos made me really hungry. Good BBQ out west is hard to find actually, and the desserts, Oh My. Had to call my daughter and ask her when she next planned to cook something aka ribs; on her fancy pellet grill. She makes amazing ribs with that thing and it takes a long time. Switzerland? Little Switzerland? haven't a clue how they came up with that one. Although I will be in real Switzerland next April. Said daughter is taking me on a viking cruise which is ending with three days in Lucerne. Yeah...hard life. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny that my barbecue made you think about your daughter and call her. The South is definitely the place for barbecue of all kinds and there are even barbecue wars. I am green with envy over your taking a Viking cruise with your daughter. I can hardly imagine anything more wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Quite a store for being "nowhere". Interesting Crabtree Falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the store is there because of the tourists to little Switzerland although I still can't figure out how it got that name.

      Delete
  4. That bookstore is fabulous! I would love wandering in there, too. And Crabtree Falls is beautiful. I think your photos of the falls with your camera and your phone are both great. That day was a perfect trifecta: waterfall hike/bookstore/and BBQ. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Laurel it was a great day and I wish you had been with me in Books and Beans. We could have had such fun and spent the entire day I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. What a neat bookstore for the 46 people in that town! They must have a lot of tourists. So many rooms! Wonder where the town name came from? Beautiful falls. I like both pictures you asked about, but the farther back one with more of the surrounding trees is my favorite of those two. Fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually wondering if one of the town residents owns that bookstore or if it's a summer resident and the bookstore closes in the Winter. But a town of 46 people. That's even hard to imagine.

      Delete
  6. Another great day of falls! The picture of the tree with your phone has better lighting than your Canon, amazing! I hardly ever use my camera. We're in Mexico again now and the phone's pictures are top notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom like my phone pictures as well as my canon Laurie but I am having a lot of trouble with the of trouble with the light and my canon. I probably should take it in and have it looked at. Wow Mexico and you're reading my blog? I'm very flattered.

      Delete
  7. Please don't send me to the Moon. I'm very fond of Earth! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've lost Paul. Send you to the moon? I must have missed something. But it's good to hear from you.

      Delete
    2. Check out your picture of the hand towel.

      Delete
  8. I don't get the Switzerland part but that book store is marvelous and the BBQ looks yummy. Plus a nice waterfall to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know who it is. I don't know why Blogger does this but sometimes if you look at the commenter Box and it says anonymous you can click the drop down and pick your name. I don't get the Switzerland part either unless there is some sort of architecture somewhere around that I didn't see

      Delete
  9. Whoa! You would need hiking poles with all of those rocks! My eyes are on the ground when I'm walking on trails with rocks or lots of tree roots. The falls are lovely- I like the 3rd picture of them and then the water splashing up and looking through the falls. Good selfie with the nice background! You are far better zooming on videos than I am. Mine are all jerky so you get nauseous when you try to look at them. The mountains are great- wind? I don't see the leaves on the trees moving. The sky is so blue at the Deer gap stop. Great bookstore with arts stuff and crafts too. I like the metal pig, armadillo and the rooster best. The floor in the cafe is very nice and I like the brick and stonework on the wall. BBQ? No thank you! Beans and raspberry cheesecake? Yes please! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bushes and flowers were moving in the beginning of the video and you could hear the wind. I guess it wasn't strong enough to move all the trees. Your comments are always great Pam. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. That is a beautiful waterfall. I imagine it would be spectacular during the peak leave color season. You are right about that tree growing on top of that rock. Nature is quite incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately for me I was not there during leaf season but I think you are right. I just love that little tree and wonder how long it can hold on there.

      Delete
  11. Love the waterfall, but that bookstore is WONderful!! I could lose myself in there for days. And the little cafe looks like a great find as well. What a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day Jodee. This is what I like about being in one place for a longer time, the ability to investigate everything in the area.

      Delete
  12. When I visited you in August, if we'd had one more day, I'd love to have done this waterfall. I've done it, but it has been years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.