July 27 – August 2, 2026 Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground Pizza Disappointment & Shocking Motorhome
St. Johnsbury, Vermon6 Enjoying My Weekly Routine
Really big disappointment on Monday when I got to Neal Pond and took the kayak completely off the car. I got it down to the water and began to load it up when I discovered my beloved Aqua Bound paddle was not in the trunk with my other gear. Evidentially I had left it at Lake Parker on Friday. It is now Monday. I called the Parker Pond association, the state game warden for the area and drove the hour back up there but of course it wasn’t there. Not after 3 days. I’m so irritated at myself for my carelessness. I have to buy a new paddle or I can’t kayak anymore this summer. But at this point I cannot afford to replace my Aqua Bound which is a fabulous $259 paddle. And worth every penny if I had that many extra pennies right now. So I had Amazon send me quickly a cheaper paddle $41 and am using that. But on this day, I had to put the kayak right back on the car. No paddling. Bummed doesn’t even begin to cover it. Someone got a very nice paddle for free. High price for carelessness.
I drowned my sorrow at Moose Look Diner for lunch with my retired library friend Adele. So distracted I took no pictures.
It wasn’t raining that evening so the band concert was on and I went. This time drowning my sorrows in ice cream.
People in line for ice cream
Sponsored tonight by Community Bank.
Hershey’s makes delicious ice cream. This flavor is great!
On Tuesday I went up to the Danville Train Depot and hiked the rail trail a total of 4 miles.
When I got back I went inside the station which has tourist information and is restored. It’s really lovely. The wood is beautiful.
I particularly liked the old stove and thought the old suitcases were a nice touch.
There was even a manikin station master at his desk.
That night I went to the Catamount Arts Theater in Saint Johnsbury to see a screening of Martin Eden/
Notice the room behind the ticket window and foyer.
It’s an art gallery that has a different exhibit each month.
Many of the pieces were made from discarded books. They were really interesting looking at them up close but I had a hard time getting decent pictures of them with my phone.
These are the two shown above
This was one of the most intricate artistic paper cutting/folding I’ve ever seen but none of the close ups came out well enough except the one of the book below the folded exhibit.
Film Director Jay Craven introduced his film "Jack London's Martin Eden". He also led a post-screening question and answer session.
The book Martin Eden, from which the film was taken, is a semi-autobiographic reflection of Jack London’s own life experiences. Published in 1909 when London was 33 years old and had already achieved international acclaim with The Call of the Wild, Sea Wolf and White Fang.
On Thursday I went to Neal Pond to try out my new $40 paddle. It proved to be OK but felt heavier than I am used to
One of the houses along the shore was for sale so I looked it up later. 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2475 sq. ft on 1.46 acres for $824,900 Compared to the much larger and in my opinion more beautiful house I showed in town, it’s clear it must be all about location. IF they can get that price. Here’s the link for photos. if you’d like to see the inside.
I normally would not have come out on a day with this kind of wind predicted but I wanted to try out the paddle so I could send it back if I really didn’t like it. Look at the grasses bending.
I took a short video to show the wind and how strong the current was. You can Watch it here
This is probably the least expensive housing on the lake shore.
This was the most fun thing.
You can see my favorite house on the far shore.
Doesn’t it look really interesting?
On Friday, I took a trip to Littleton New Hampshire where I had previously discovered a wonderful toy store, The Little Village Toy and Book Shop. I went to look for presents for my grandson Colin’s birthday.
I spent quite a bit of time in here looking around. It’s a wonderful store.
Moose seem to be a highlighted topic.
Shelves of Legos.
The downtown area of Littleton is decorated with flags and beautiful hanging flower baskets on every light post. The store across the street boasts it has the world’s longest candy counter. I did not go inside and check it out to avoid the pull of the sweets since I already have my sweets for the day planned.
I too this entrance to the River District and river walk.
The building to the left of the covered bridge is the Mill Street Kitchen a restaurant where I wish I had eaten lunch.
The covered bridge over the Ammonoosuc River is a Paddleford Truss bridge 8’ wide 368 feet long. It connects the Riverwalk trail with downtown Littleton.
View from the bridge looking down river.
The View looking up river. I think I’ll try to eat at this restaurant next time I come to Littleton.
I came 0ut on the river’s far side and started down the river walk.
At the end there is a suspension bridge to take you back over to the town.
The Curran Suspension bridge has an interesting history.
The river reminds me of the Moose, wider here than at the campground but fairly shallow and filled with rocks for the water to wash over.
I’d never seen this before. When I asked someone coming across the bridge he said they are “love locks”. People write or engrave names, initials, special dates, or short messages on padlocks and lock them onto the bridge's mesh railings.
I later read that the key is typically thrown into the Ammonoosuc River below to symbolize an unbreakable bond, lasting love, or a permanent memory made in this White Mountain town. Have you ever seen this before?
Now back on the town side I walked to the Littleton Diner, which opened in 1930. Their moto is Live Free and Dine. A cute take off on the state moto.
Inside it looks totally authentic.
They have an extensive menu of diner food. I had the meatloaf special with mashed potatoes, gravy and mixed vegetables. Nothing to write home about. If I return I’ll have to try something else.
Time for dessert. So I walked back through this darling alley to my car in the lot behind the main street.
I noticed this quote in the window of the shop along the alley and later learned that I had missed one of the big Littleton attractions, the statue of Pollyanna outside the Littleton Library. I am actually amazed that I didn’t seek out the library. I nearly always go to the libraries in towns I visit. Next time for sure. But I really like the quote.
I don’t think this piano at the top of the great stairs is visible in my picture above but the sign on its top invites you to sit down and play. Littleton is such an interesting town.
5 miles from Littleton is the town of Bethlehem New Hampshire which is home to Super Secret Ice Cream. Use the link and choose Our Story to read its very interesting creation story. It had been recommended to me as the best around by folks at Moose River who know I love ice cream.
I was glad to find that the patio had emptied out by the time I got my ice cream despite the long line inside.
Wish I’d asked if they do this every year. Clever way to get folks interested in ice cream in March in New Hampshire
It is small batch ice cream made in house from local ingredients with unique flavors such as the two I had. Burtt’s Black Forest “made with sour cherries form Burtt's Orchard in Cabot, VT and chocolate amaretto cake made with local flour from Maine Grains” And of course one of my favorites on top, Toasted coconut.
Saturday as usual was Farmer’s Market and steps around the town. Today’s house on Main Street is Idlewood 1874 according to the sign in the huge front yard. This shot is zoomed in to try to mitigate the sun which I wasn’t very able to do.
Main Street Park complete with fountain and a ring of flowers.
My favorite Little Free Library stuffed with books.
Sunday was the 29th Anniversary of Moose River Campground celebrated with a giant cake. Usually these sheet things are so-so but this one was delicious. It had moist cake and whipped cream icing.
Mary and Gary Lunderville do a great job of making everyone feel welcome and no doubt have for the past 29 years.
Sunday evening I went back to the wonderful Catamount Arts to see the documentary Mary Oliver: Saved by the Beauty of the World.
She is my very favorite poet. I own all of her books and begin every one of my yoga practices with a poem from one of them. This month the poems are coming from Why I Wake Early.
And speaking of books, the ones I finished this week were:
48 Clues into the Disappearance of My Sister
The Rediscovery of North America Barry Lopez
Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward S. Curtis
Clues was a very interesting and a tad scary murder mystery. Rediscovery was a short reassessment of Columbus’ legacy by one of my favorite writers and Short Nights was a fascinating look just as the title says of the truly epic life and fantastic photographs of Edward Curtis at the turn of the 20th Century.
Let me know in the comments what did you do and read the last week of July?
Sad you lost your high tec paddle. You are really having a good summer. I love that wood bridge and huge home. Somehow I had thought you were a vegin, guess it was a false memory. I am still recovering from a bad case of the Flu. It stole a week from me and walking aroung the hood was a challange for me. Thankfully Kathy did't catch it.
ReplyDeleteTom
So sorry to hear you had the flu but glad Kathy didn't catch it. I had something that kept me down for about a week and resulted in a longer than that cough earlier in the summer. Your memory does not fail you but my Vegan diet has been slipping quite a bit up here in Vermont. The meatloaf dinner was definitely not worth it. But it's very hard for me to resist the ice cream. I know I will do much better once I'm back on the road.
DeleteI havent finished but am really learning a lot about the American revolution this July into August. Revolution the greatest Nation in the history of the world by Eric Metaxas
ReplyDeleteAlway look forward to your stories and pictures. Thank you. Dale
Dale I don't remember seeing you in the comments before but I'm glad you are enjoying My blog.
DeleteI love these small towns you’re visiting. Littleton looks very inviting and I will keep it on my NH list. I hate the news about your paddle. Bah humbug to the person who took it.
ReplyDeleteI have seen those locks once in person in Italy and have seen pictures of them in various places, usually in news articles. They can actually become a problem and become too heavy for the bridge when combined with pedestrian or other traffic.. Some bridges have thousands. It’s a sweet idea until it is not.
Thanks for sharing!
That's amazing that the locks can be too heavy for the bridge. I can't remember whether my trip to the little town of Barnet I've already posted about or if it's in this coming one, but there really are so many cute little towns in this area. It's very different from Virginia
DeleteWe have seen love locks a few times in our travels… some bridges are loaded with locks and some not so much! Our favorite all time ice cream is in Winter Harbor, ME (Schoodic Woods) @ Me & Ben’s Dairy Crème.We have similar likes Sherry as our #1 flavor there is coconut custard cream! It’s loaded with actual shredded coconut and rich and smooth flavorful cream! They are a family run business, and their home made flavors change daily and are off the chart yummy! Reading included; One Golden Summer, In The Water, and currently on The Calamity Club! Finished my daughter’s book club x12 the first week in August! Such a wonderful gift!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how I missed the ice cream shop in Winter harbor, but it has been probably eight or 9 years since I've been there but clearly I need to go back.
DeleteWow, Vermont and New Hampshire are sure the states to be in for ice cream! I was going to say something about the locks as well, seen them several places, and as Pam said, they become a problem if there are too many. Summer is sure going fast!
ReplyDeleteYes ice cream is really wonderful up here and I really haven't found ice cream that good or abundant in my other travels. I'll have to look more carefully
DeleteOh dear. I hate to hear that about the beloved Aqua Bound paddle. I k now you had had a lot of adventures together. The restaurant above the restaurant looks very inviting! Take photos if you eat there!!
ReplyDeleteYes, it's a real loss that paddle but I will get another one eventually. I hope to be able to get back to Littleton and eat at that restaurant but time is running out amazingly. The summer is almost over. Hope you had a great little vacation at your daughter's.
DeleteHello Sherry, it's so nice to see you here at Moose River Campground again. We met you 2 years ago here after that devastating flood and mud slide. Sophie our dog enjoyed walking with you, Lol 😂 We will see you again tomorrow. Pam and Tom Moore 😊😊
ReplyDeletePam, it's great to see you in the comments and in real life. I don't remember if you have ever commented before but thanks so much for this one! Give Sophie some petting for me.
DeleteOh no! Not another paddle! Didn't you lose one in recent years? The one book made paper art looks like shells. The floors in the Train depot are lovely! I love wood floors and am so glad that we have them in our house instead of carpet which I hate. I love the small stone fireplace. You werer fighting the wind during your paddle! The tent on the shore looks pretty substantial but I would like to see the inside of the that house that you like. Everyone should have an inner tube like that one! There is a fabulous Moose book but because the moose doesn't fit in the book there is a double page pull out with the whole moose on it. I wish I could remember the title. The keys and locks are popular in Paris. Colorful happy umbrellas. Diner cute....food eh. That quote is something we should post somewhere where we see if every day. Super Secret Ice Cream has a great website with a picture of a woman with an ice cream cone over her head complete with chocolate syrup and sprinkles (Finn and my favorites). It's noce that they give a percentage of their profits to the local elementary school. That free library has a ton of books. The ones here have a few. Kate's favorite poet is Mary Oliver. I just finished Testimony by Anita Shreve. Having fun with Finn- xxxooo
ReplyDeleteTime flies for both of us. Pam, I lost my original aqua bound in Virginia before I even went on the road so that's been close to 20 years ago. But you have an amazing memory. But that time it wasn't carelessness. On my part it was theft. I was right there with my back to the paddle when it was taken and there was no one in sight so I can't figure it out. I just love your comments. Thank you!!
DeleteNew Hampshire! I'm from Yuma, AZ. In the early 70]'s a good friend married a Marine and moved to his hometown of Rochester, NH. I checked the map and Rochester and Littleton are about 2 hours apart. If you are ever in Rochester would you post a couple of pictures. Thank you. I love your blog!
ReplyDeleteElva how wonderful to see you in the comments. It's good to hear from you. Unfortunately I don't draw a circle around wherever I am staying and go only one hour out so I only have a two hour drive in a day at most. New Hampshire is beautiful, you should come and see your friend.
DeleteOh damn a lost paddle - even worse that the replacement cost is so high, and that you had to load up without paddling that day! The paper cutting looks amazing. I love the river walk and yes you should stop at that wonderful eatery along the water by the paddle wheel. It's just such a beautiful and engaging place with the ponds and local events and cute downtown. And the ice cream! I'm all for any gathering that invites wearing pajamas :-)) I hope you'll be there for the 30th anniversary of the park, it's bound to be a grand time! Dutch House was my favorite read last week, while the thriller Last Seat was a nice surprise with a unique plot.
ReplyDeleteYes the load up without paddling was a serious bummer. I wish I could have gotten better pictures of the paper cutting. I didn't have my "real" camera and my phones don't cut it for cameras I suppose because of their age. I thought of you when I posted the pajamas poster! Thanks for including what you've been reading.
Delete