Thursday, August 25, 2022

Three Lakes & Bridal Veil

Monday July 18, 2022                                             Most Recent Posts:
Riverbend RV Resort                       Shrooming with Tom & Christmas in July
Lake Toxaway, NC                                                     Carl Sandburg


Today I returned to Dupont Forest to hike the Three Rivers Trail and visit Bridal Veil Falls.  I’m going to take you hiking with me.

First through the covered bridge.  I’m not sure if this is its original location or if it was moved here.  But it’s always fun seeing and walking through a covered bridge. I did a lot of that last summer in Vermont but not so much here in North Carolina.



IMG_2001




IMG_2003

IMG_2004











IMG_2007


The Three Lakes Trail was a more interesting route to Bridal Veil Falls than just walking the Conservation forest road to the Falls Trailhead.





Seeing this construction at the base of a tree along the trail made me smile and wonder who built it and why.   Whimsy??

IMG_2013


Home for a gnome?

IMG_2014


These look like Turkey Tail mushrooms which are said to have immune boosting medicinal properties. 

IMG_2017


The trail was wonderful wandering through the woods with many actual flat stretches.

IMG_2026


And cute tiny fungi.  There were lots of other fungi on the trail and I took lots of pictures of them but I’ll spare you.

IMG_2030



In parts the trail was slightly hilly, rooty and rocky but seemed like a piece of cake after some of the other places I have hiked.

IMG_2033


I arrive at what is known as Dense Lake.  There really isn’t an accessible shore line so my views were from windows through the trees.

IMG_2035


The trail walked along one side of the lake with more and less open windows.

IMG_2038


Along the trail between Lake Dense and Lake Alford were signs asking that hikers not venture into the area behind these signs as it was being used for research on the biological control of the hemlock wooly adelgid an invasive insect that is killing Eastern Hemlock trees in the Appalachian Mountains.   A very sad story.
 

IMG_2040


The trail walked me around nearly 3 sides of the 1/2 acre Lake Alford.  You can barely see the covered picnic area on the distant right.


IMG_2039


I did have to be careful on the trail as it is also a bike trail and they come flying.  This is the covered picnic area on the lake shore.

IMG_2043


Looks bigger than 1/2 acre to me.

IMG_2046


Near the end of the trail there is a seriously difficult look through the trees beyond the sign indicating Lake Julia which is a 99 acre lake and the largest in the forest.  This was the one I was really hoping to see and consider kayaking possibilities.  But not from this trail.

IMG_2052


One last interesting fungi before connecting back with the Conservation Road toward Bridal Veil Falls.

IMG_2053


I stopped when crossing this bridge on the road and was surprised to see a waterfall up stream.   It was easy to walk down to the spot from which I took this picture.  Dupont State Forest allows horses and the 2 small lakes and this spot are nice watering places for them.

IMG_2063


I hadn’t heard anything about this light falls or its name.  It was a total surprise.




IMG_2066


Turns out you have to leave the larger Conservation Road and turn onto a smaller road before you get to the falls trail.





Queen Anne’s Lace and Black Eyed Susan were in the fields by the road.  Very different hiking from Three Lakes Trail.


Both have long blooming seasons.  Queen Anne from May through October and Susan from June to September

IMG_2069IMG_2070



Finally the trail to Bridal Veil appeared.  it wasn’t long and brought me to these views.  I initially found a spot for a snack at the foot of the falls.

IMG_2086



IMG_2088



IMG_2089



IMG_2101



IMG_2102


After taking pictures of the cascades I swapped photos with a couple.  I took them, they took me.  I then started walking up the dry side of the enormous rock face.

IMG_2111


Here’s a short video taken from the foot of the falls with wonderful sounds and all the things seen in the pictures above.  Except me of course.


I’m on my way to the fuller upper falls that feeds the Bridal Veil below.

IMG_2115



IMG_2116


Seeing the person at the top of the falls I began looking for the way up there obviously somehow through the trees.

IMG_2119



IMG_2122

Here’s a 26 second video from this base of the upper falls.



Once at the top, this was the view.

IMG_2129


I’ve included 3 short videos from the top of the falls which better capture it than any of the pictures I took.

The first is a 21 second video which shows the river at the top of the falls flowing down and over.

The second  a 17 second video more closely shows the water going over from the top.

And finally, the third is a 22 second video from a different angle at the top of the falls.

Let me know what you think of them or if you think 3, even short videos, is really too many.   I appreciate your opinion and advice.


This had been a great hiking day.  Before I left, one last picture from the path through the trees of the  side of the upper falls from which it clearly does not get its name Bridal Veil.   I’ll bet lots of people wish it weren’t a dangerous swimming spot.



I walked back the road to the parking area and visitor’s center.  It was not interesting enough to record.

Next up. . . into the Pisgah National Forest.

24 comments:

  1. Water water everywhere! Sure wish I had as much floral color on my property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jody. I am a water lover and follow it everywhere I go. If I can. The desert SW is beautiful but the dryness does me in eventually.

      Delete
  2. Pretty amazing reading as we cross brown flat Western Nebraska with no trees, no water, and 94 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Sue. . .94, no trees, no water. No way could I live there. Thanks for taking time from your trip to read and comment. You're the best!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty and lush but I do not like multiple use trails. Always loved Black Eyed Susans. Cool to walk on the rock to and next to the falls. I like the various perspectives in the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think multiple use trails are dangerous. I am always on alert especially for crazy racing mountain bikers. Horses seldom go above a walk on trails. Glad you liked the videos. I guess those who don't just won't watch them. They are seriously amateurish but I love the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. They are rare in NC too. There are only 3 "authentic" bridges and I don't think this is one of them.

      Delete
  6. We enjoyed that hike along the lakes to Bridal Veil Falls, too. I knew you would love the covered bridge. :-) You got some really nice photos of the falls! And I like the cute little gnome home you discovered! I think the DuPont Forest trails are gorgeous, but I really wish they weren't multi-use trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too wish they weren't multi use trails. Glad you liked the photos. Wish you'd sign your comment so I'd know who to thank.

      Delete
    2. Ha!!! It was me (Laurel). I did sign it, but my name disappeared when it posted. I thought you would know it was me from the comment. :-))

      Delete
    3. Dang it!!!! My name disappeared AGAIN. What the heck?

      Delete
  7. You know I love waterfalls and the deafening sounds. Cute little gnome home! I'm amazed at how much rock formation there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see my post on the Linn Cove Viaduct for rocks. The mountains are covered with them. And a lot of them are HUGE. Glad you liked the videos. I wondered if there were too many.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the waterfalls and the fungi. What a wonderful day of outdoor adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked them Lynne. Every day I go out seems to be a great adventure. Love being in the mountains during the summer.

      Delete
  9. I like the 3rd picture of the falls the best. Seeing it from the side is interesting. The rock formations are HUGE! Bridal Veil is not a steep waterfall like some of the others that you've seen. You mentioned that the upper falls clearly didn't get the name Bridal Falls. Too calm or small or what? As always I love the watch and listen to falling water... Too bad you can't get your kayak to that lake. Do you see anyone swimming anywhere? xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many people willing to swim in the brisk waters here. The upper falls is the top of Bridal Veil. I just meant that it is the lower cascades from which it got its name.

      Delete
  10. Can't believe I live 2 1/2 hours from Dupont and have never visited! You have encouraged me to change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Sharon. I think you would like it a great deal. It was wonderful having you here. Surprised it's only 2.5 hours to Dupont from Knoxville. Seems as far as to Spruce Pine. So happy to see you in the comments.

      Delete
  11. So if you bring bear spray to protect yourself from hungry bears, what should you bring to protect yourself from speeding mountain bikers? How about thumbtacks? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd need something bigger than a thumbtack to make an impact but that's too mean. I just wish they would slow down.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful trail but those roots make my ankles cringe. The little surprise falls are so pretty. I keep expecting falls like the tall ones we're used to seeing, but the slide-rock looking ones are great too. The shorter videos are easier to download for me and the multiples are fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice about the videos Jodee. It is amazing how many different types and sizes of falls there are. And SO many in NC.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.