Friday, August 12, 2022

Llamas in Panthertown

Thursday July 14, 2022                                          Most Recent Posts:
Riverbend RV Resort                                   Highlands – Falls and Food 
Lake Toxaway, NC                                           Rocky’s and Panthertown


Remember my trip to Panthertown three days ago (2nd link above) where I took a wrong turn TWICE and where there are no Panthers?   Today I returned to the entrance on the other side of this 6,311 acre sanctuary with  30 miles of trails in the Nantahala National Forest.  Also remember, mapping and trail marking are not terrific here.

Today I’m going not for two falls like Monday but for three.   I’m over half way to Panthertown when I realize that I’ve left the only map I have back in the RV and I’m too far away to be willing to drive back.  I’m hoping for the best.



As you can see from this map on the kiosk board hampered by the sun’s reflection, a hazard of early morning hiking, the trails here have numbers like road signs.  I took this picture of the map and with  repeated referrals to it and the intermittent signs with the numbers on them, I was able to work my way around a loop to all 3 falls WITHOUT any unintended detours.

I began at Salt Gap parking which the arrow points to and from the main trail, 474,  which goes across the entire park from Monday’s Parking area to todays, took 490 to Wilderness falls.  Luckily every time I wasn’t sure what to do, if I kept going, I eventually ran into one of these signs.



The trail to Wilderness falls was wide and fern filled early on and later almost rhododendron blocked.


Some surprises lurked under the ferns along the way.

IMG_1774


Ok, now what?

IMG_1690


When I reached Wilderness Falls, the debris and the sun made it impossible to get a decent angle or reasonable pictures.  Bring wading boots when you come to Panthertown although they aren’t very great for hiking.



IMG_1728


Rhododendron were luscious and everywhere. 

IMG_1731


From there I took #490 on along  to Frolictown Falls on Frolictown Creek.  I could find no explanation of the interesting name.  My first view was from the side and I worried that I’d have the same trouble here that I had at Wilderness.


IMG_1744


But I was able to get a closer and a better angle though the depth of the pool meant I could not get a straight on shot or one with a decent angle without the tree you see here.  Maybe hip waders would be helpful in Panthertown.

The obstacles are clear here.

IMG_1746


Just a tad closer but still that tree.

IMG_1749


No tree but a side angle.

IMG_1748


I think this short video is better than the pictures.


Now how to find #486 to Granny Burrell Falls.

Someone has kindly set up a rock hop that is only really possible if you have a hiking pole or fantastic balance. As with Frolictown, I have no idea who Granny Burrell was.

IMG_1754


The woods are dark and deep


IMG_1757



IMG_1763Today, Granny Burrell was a relatively short rock slide with one dangerous looking dip that could do damage to your tail bone.



 





There were 3 or 4 groups of people all trying to decide whether to slide.  Apparently the water was freezing they said but everyone except for me was in swimming suits.

  The rock allows you to slide a short distance before going over the little 3-4’ falls and then potentially sliding another pretty long way down into a large pool.  But today there was not enough of a flow to protect from the bumps or allow the long slide to the pool. 


IMG_1767



I was able to get a couple natural shots when all the folks were all behind me or walking up the trail to the top to consider sliding down.  


IMG_1768


I hung around waiting to see if anyone would slide but eventually gave up and hiked on.


IMG_1769

 

Take a look at this very short video for a good idea of how much water there was.

My loop hike took me back up the main road which was how all these folks had gotten to Granny Burrell  straight from the parking lot.


It was quite a steep climb and I began to wish I’d done the loop in the other direction.  Though coming straight down would have been hard on the knees.  Still, it was a real slog by this point in my hike.  Thankfully there was at least one nice side trail with lovely views on the way for a breather.

Here’s a video of the views from my breather and you can definitely hear me breathing.  The clouds look odd in the video.  Not like in this picture but the view is still sweet.


The Appalachian Mountains are the oldest mountains in the country and no longer tall and rugged like the Rockies.  They have been worn down over time and in some places right down to the rock.


The rock face I walked upon almost looks like it has footprints.





I was finally at the top of the long haul when I was more than surprised to see a llama train coming down.   This is a camp for young people with ADHD or Learning Disabilities where they have their own llama to hike with.   As they came by me, their counselor told them all to tell me their llama’s name.  So cute to hear them say “this is Christy, this is Shelia”.  How I wish I’d gotten a video of it.  What a wonderful experience for these girls.


IMG_1790

You just never know what you are going to see when you go out hiking.

27 comments:

  1. There are always pleasant surprises when you venture off the beaten path, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I wasn't exactly off a beaten path but who expects to see Llamas on a hiking trail. Maybe burros in the Grand Canyon.

      Delete
  2. That is really really cool! Says Jeannie, former special Ed teacher. What are the temperatures lately there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temperatures are gorgeous. Virtually never hot and early and late I'm wearing sweats. Couldn't have picked a better place for this horribly hot summer. But Maine must be wonderful too.

      Delete
  3. This morning I learned of a new fun activity in nearby NH. Check out Scenic Rail Riders. Even I might give this one a try (as long as whoever is with me does most of the pedaling!) LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two comments from you - wonderful. Very interesting idea but too confined for me. I want to be able to stop and look and get off.

      Delete
  4. So cool to see llamas on a trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was Lynne. And a real surprise as I reached the parking lot.

      Delete
  5. Wow those orange fungi are stunning!!! I don't think I've ever seen any flora that vivid in the wild. Beautiful side shot of the falls. With arthritis in my tailbone just looking at those slippery rock shelfs make me cringe. Glad you made it up the big slog safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some brilliant yellows on the trails too. The mountains of the east are full of fungi.

      Delete
  6. Another former Special Ed teacher here. Love the hiking with llamas! My students would have loved that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls were so cute telling me the llamas name as they went by.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I figured folks might be tired of waterfalls and find the llamas most interesting.

      Delete
  8. What a serendipitous thing to run into Llamas! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very cute Laurie and quite a surprise.

      Delete
  9. Oh, how FUN!!!! I've always wanted to hike with llamas (or goats). I don't know why, exactly, but it just seems like it would be an interesting experience. Plus, I really like goats, and I think I would like llamas just
    I'm so glad you explored more of Panthertown and shared your photos. as much. :-)We didn't get back there for more hiking, but those falls were on our list. Frolictown is especially beautiful! I agree, hip waders would be really helpful for Panthertown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment didn't split into two and doesn't seem to be mixed up. I wonder what happened that it looked that way to you?? As for hiking with Llamas or goats, I'm lucky to be able to be responsible for myself when hiking. I've had animals all my life literally until full timing and I just don't want the responsibility.

      Delete
  10. I have no idea why my comment split into two parts and got all mixed up. I hope you understand it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hip waders with vibrum soles for Panthertown. Hard to imagine walking under all those trees. I have vague memory of hikes like that. Might have slide at Granny's when I was their age, and with more water. Love the girls hiking with llamas. Fun hike. You do put in the miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit how much I love forests. With the carcinomas I've had on my face I'm almost afraid of the sun. I wish putting in the miles meant I could eat more and still get into my clothes. I try to do some hiking/walking every day and usually get 2.5 to 6 miles a day my pedometer tells me.

      Delete
  12. I've taken the summer off of blogging and blog reading so just catching up blogs. Looks like it's turned into a good summer chasing waterfalls. Thanks for all the beautiful water pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be busy Faye. I'm glad to see you back in my comments. Summer in the mountains of NC has been wonderfully cool and waterfall filled.

      Delete
  13. Frolictown just sounds like fun! I don't like the numbered trails. I would do much better with names- I can't remember numbers. The "ok now what?" was Yikes! Did you need a machete to get through? I actually really like the side view of Frolictown Falls (the photo right after the rhododendron). It's kind of artsy. The llamas are really cool. I wonder why they have the kids walking with them. I assume it is because they have to pay attention and walk with the llama rather than run all over the place. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were special needs kids and they do this camp every year with them.

      Delete
  14. Great fungi! The waterfall looks like it'd be fun to slide down on a really hot day. Does it ever get really hot there? I like the deep dark woods and the llamas - what a neat surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are too many dips and bumps for me on that water slide. I prefer the one that was in my earlier blog where it's pretty smooth. The llamas were a great surprise. So glad you liked my fungi.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.