Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Thanks to Jackie I’m Adventuring Again

June 19 – 27, 2022                                             Most Recent Posts
Riverbend RV Park                                             Off to a Good Start and Then . . .
Lake Toxaway, North Carolina                         Finally Back on the Road


Today is July 6 and I am nearly 10 days behind in this blog.  Doing so many days at once makes the posts too long I fear so I am going to post this one and one more covering several days and then do them each day (hopefully) so they will be shorter.   For now, I hope you’ll just settle in with a cup of coffee, sit back and relax with my words, pictures and videos.


I can only go out in the mornings since it rains in the afternoons nearly every day here.  Also after 10am all the other tourists, also seeking relief from the heat, are out and it becomes too crowded for me.  So each day’s travels are somewhat controlled by those two things.

Back to June 19. . . .


20220619_103110

Ruby’s refusal to start was on a Saturday.  Not sure why everything that happens to me is on Friday or the week-end but it seems to be the case.  Thus I couldn’t go anywhere until Tuesday.  And it turns out that was a good thing.

On Sunday, Riverbend had a breakfast in honor of Father’s Day.  One of the fathers honored was Captain Gary who will be 90 this year and has been coming to Riverside for many years.  I hope I look as good as he does at age 89.


20220619_103057


On Monday, I called a recommended auto repair service in Brevard and made an appointment for the next day.  I hadn’t tried to start the car again since I got back as I wasn’t confident that even if it started at the park, it would start again wherever I went.

Jackies auto serviceOn Tuesday I went out to start it well in advance of my appointment 30 minutes away so that if I had to call them to tow me in, I’d have time.  Smart garage to have their own tow truck to tow you to them.   When I went out to start Ruby, two men were there to see how it went and give me a push if need be.  These are VERY nice people.  But Ruby, of course, started right up.  Just like when you make a medical appointment, on the day of you feel fine.  But she went to the doctor anyway.

What a great old place Jackie’s Auto Service turned out to be.
It’s been in business for 45 years, father, son, grandson.  They diagnosed a faulty starter and with an O’Reillys auto parts store right next door, had me back on the road in just over an hour.


20220621_151847This wasn’t exactly how I had hoped to spend my Summer Solstice but “stuff” happens.  So instead of some wonderful outdoor adventure, I took myself to The Square Root Restaurant in Brevard for lunch and an incredible piece of coconut cream cake.  Big enough for two with a price to match.


20220621_152326


I laughed at this car parked near the restaurant.  An anglophile no doubt celebrating the 50th Jubilee.  Poor Charles, he may never be king.

20220621_153231



IMG_0717On Thursday I set out waterfall hunting.  I stopped first at Toxaway Falls on the Toxaway River for whom the town is named.  Unfortunately a developer bought up the property on the river including the falls, created a lake and made it totally private unless you own property there which of course I do not.   This video shows it all much clearer.

My only view of the falls was the one above and from the side of the road on the bridge going over the river at the top of the falls.  No doubt there is a much better look from below.

From there I headed into the Pisgah Forest to see Looking Glass Falls.


IMG_0730


A short trail leads down to the falls where clearly you can go swimming in the very chilly water if you wish.

IMG_0733


IMG_0740


Such a beautiful falls deserves a video of its beautiful sounds.  Click this link if you’d like to see and hear it.  The video is shorter and more lovely than Toxaway.


IMG_0742



IMG_0750From there I headed up to Sliding Rock where despite the early morning, lots of people were sliding.   Check out the rules and see if they were abiding by them.




From another sign post I learned that -
Approximately 11,000 gallons of water PER MINUTE cascade across sliding rock.  The average temperature of the pool at the base of the rocks is 55 DEGREES.
The depth of the pool at the base of sliding rock is 8 feet.
Sliding Rock’s granite surface is 60 feet in length
The most famous star to visit Sliding Rock wasn’t a person.  It was Lassie in 1966 for an episode of the classic television program.   Anyone old enough to have seen it??


IMG_0754Sliding rock from above.  Wait in line, one at a time.  It’s early enough that the line is not tooo long.  Can’t imagine in the afternoon of a hot day.  $5 to park a car all day if you like.  When the lot is full, that’s all.


The life guards in their “hut” half way down.

IMG_0755


Here they come down. Look closely and you can see the person just over half way down on the right.  It’s all clearer and the fun apparent in this video.  If you haven’t watched the other videos, do see this one.  You’ll wish you were there.  But doesn’t it look like they are bouncing off the dips onto their butts?  Tailbone injury anyone?  Or am I just an old worry wort?


IMG_0756


My smallest falls of the day was the most difficult to get to.  Slick Rock Falls. Not the hike which was, unfortunately for my step count, no longer than the earlier ones.  But the drive on National Forest roads was hard for poor Ruby who isn’t a Jeep with her low clearance.  But she took me just the same.


IMG_0760


IMG_0771


IMG_0762


For those who loves waterfalls, here’s a very short video of this one.  Compared to the others it seems small in volume and in height at only 35 feet.  But there isn’t a waterfall that’s not beautiful and unique.


IMG_0763




IMG_0778On the last Monday of the month I returned to Gorges State Park to hike to the only relatively easy falls I’d missed.  Bear Wallow Falls.  There is a short way, and a longer way to reach the falls.  I took the longer way.  I needed the exercise though I think it was only 3 miles at most

I started in the visitor center parking lot and followed the Bear Wallow Valley Trail through the woods to the picnic area where those who want the short trail park.


IMG_0779


All of this land was once owned by Duke energy who has its towers here and later sold the land to the state for the park.  Rather ruins the beautiful distant mountain views.



I am so happy to see the rhododendron on almost every trail I hike in this area.


IMG_0785


At the picnic area, I crossed the road and the leisurely stroll down here ended and the real, but short, hike began

IMG_0786


See the blue Bearwallow Falls Trail on the map.  You can see my entire hike starting at the red star at the visitor center and going to the amphitheater, the picnic area and then to the falls.

IMG_0787


The beginning of the Bear Wallow Falls trail.

IMG_0789


The trail dead ended at this viewing platform which was a long distance from the falls.  I wonder how they will be able to keep the view from being blocked by the growth of the forest.


IMG_0792


Bearwallow Creek is the largest creek in the park and after cascading over these falls it flows south and east and joins the Toxaway River.  From there the waters continue their journey to Lake Jocassee and ultimately to the Atlantic Ocean via the Savannah River.   It’s wonderful to know the path this water travels to the sea.  I think we all should know where our water comes from and where it goes.


IMG_0793


A little closer view.

IMG_0800



How I love my  great zoom lens.

IMG_0801



Leaving the platform I climbed the steps back up and saw the beautiful rhododendron I did not notice on my way down to the viewing platform.  I was so focused on seeing the falls.


IMG_0803


Even the rhododendron buds are beautiful.

IMG_0804 


In case you are tired on the way back.

IMG_0805


Blackberry snacks will be available sometime in July.

IMG_0806


Last picture of the hike, a woody avenue.

IMG_0808


Let me know if you enjoy the videos.  I take one of every falls I am near enough to hear but I certainly don’t need to post them all.

32 comments:

  1. I love love love waterfalls, almost as much as I love NC. Thanks for the videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the videos Cindy. What else do you love about North Carolina?

      Delete
    2. There are certain places in the world where you feel at home, where you feel rooted. Western NC is like that for me. The mountains are softer and welcoming. I’m a waterfall addict and NC feeds that. The people- their soft accents, their hospitality and warmth are stellar. Besides the cute little villages, you have Asheville which has a ton of culture that feeds the soul. Geez, I’m almost waxing poetic here 😊

      Delete
    3. Interesting. When I replied to this post yesterday I was Cindy. Now this reply to your comment, I am now Anonymous.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that sliding rock looks like fun, but scary! I'm sure I would have tried it 40 years ago. Lovely videos, I always love the sound. Glad they figured out Ruby's issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would have tried it in my 20's too Laurie and might have today if David or someone were here just in case

      Delete
  3. We love Pisgah and used to go there almost every year. Back in our pop up camper days. Glad you are back in the road. Susan from Silver Springs Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why blogger is turning many commenters into anonymous Susan. Thanks for letting me know it was you.
      I'll be back in Silver Springs SP this winter "hopefully".

      Delete
  4. I tripped upon these waterfall videos on YouTube. Lovely. You do find the most beautiful places. Glad Ruby is back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are SO many waterfalls in North Carolina it is just amazing.

      Delete
  5. Getting out and back before the tourists = win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be at the trail head early but definitely worth it.

      Delete
  6. Yes yes yes to the waterfalls and the sound of them. They are mesmerizing! It is disappointing that the first falls are bordered by a highway. I love the names of the falls- Looking Glass Falls and Bearwallow- magical! Even though Bearwallow isn't as large, it is really pretty and the angle that you used to take the picture was great. No no no to sliding down over those rocks. I still remember how much it hurt when I tried to jump from one rock to another at Sugar Hollow and the bone in my calf hit the rock. You can't control how you slide on that so I know I'd hit all big rocks. Love the pale pink and the bright pink together on the rhododendron. Maybe I will ask Google to play waterfalls tonight. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why Google turned you into anonymous Pam but thanks for the comment. Waterfalls to sleep by sounds perfect.

      Delete
  7. The waterfalls look amazing. Don't know if I'd try sliding down one though, with my luck there wouldn't be much of my bathing suit bottom left when I reached the end. I can just imagine people screaming and fleeing in terror at the sight! :cD

    Glad you got Ruby fixed, she's a trooper to get you around those Jeep roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby really is Paul. She's a trooper. There were guys much bigger than you sliding down multiple times with swim suits in tact.

      Delete
  8. So glad Ruby is fixed and you got a wonderful shop to take care of it. Love all the waterfalls. You’re in a good place now. I will have to look at my blogger settings again. We are both having trouble with blogger but I’m not sure how to fix it. Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's this anonymous thing all of a sudden Jeannie. Wish I had the energy to switch to wordpress. Not as cool in NC as in Maine unfortunately for me.

      Delete
  9. I know several much younger men who'd love to have Captain Gary's beautiful head of hair!! Glad you had help you didn't need to get Ruby to the doctor, and even more so that said doctor had a quick cure :-) The falls are so pretty and relaxing, even the little ones. We haven't decided on a route when we leave our August visit with family in Richmond, but cooler mountains are bound to be part of it. We need to end up in Sparta, Tennessee, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Jodee Richmond in August. You must really LOVE those folks. Get up into the mountains as soon as you can. I don't know Sparta.

      Delete
  10. I'd love to slide down those falls but probably not a good idea for me. I love the rhododendron, reminds me of our days in WV. The waterfalls are always great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to remember which of my commenters was in Wild Wonderful WV. Another good set of mountains for the summer. Hope I can figure out why all of a sudden anonymous is showing up so often.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. And there's even more. William.

      Delete
    2. Well that beats all. Blogger just made my response to William anonymous. Good grief!!

      Delete
  12. Truly lovely waterfall photos, Sherry. I am sorry that things are so hot where you are, I thought you were hopefully escaping some of the heat. For who knows what reason, a nina of some sort, we are having the most beautiful summer I can remember since we bought this property in 2012. Cool, sunny, clear, with rain now and then. Couldn't ask for anything more perfect. I have no idea if it will last, but either way June and so far July has been incredible. I guess you can never predict how things will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am escaping a lot of the heat Sue. It's seldom in the 90's here and mostly 70's with some mid 80's but with the humidity, 80's feels hot. So happy to hear you are having a great summer. If I could know a year in advance I might try to make it out there. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, lucky you to have those beautiful rhododendrons blooming while you're there! And you're also fortunate to have Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock open. They were both barricaded when we were there because of the intense flood that happened several days after we arrived. Life is ever changing, isn't it?
    I'm so glad you're loving your time there. Oh, and we really enjoyed Square Root in Brevard, but we never got the coconut cake, which was clearly a mistake on our part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rhododendrons have been a real joy here. I just barely got to see some mounted Laurel which I also love. Great name don't you think? 😉 Upcoming post on 2 falls that were closed this time. Maybe you got to see those.

      Delete
  15. So glad that you are back on the road, Sherry. I am very behind on the blog, but catching up. I love waterfalls, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you Pam. Hope you are busy having fun.

      Delete
  16. I'd love to know Captain Gary's secret; he looks great! I think it was the queen's 70th jubilee...70 years!! Wow... Beautiful pictures and falls. I love hearing them! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.