Friday, June 3, 2022

Spring is Finally Bustin’ Out All Over

May 1-19,  2022                                                           Most Recent Posts:
Virginia                                         Late April – I Wish it was still a Small Town
                                                Early April – The Best Thing About being Stuck



20220501_154819


It feels a bit inappropriate to write about the beauty of spring when horrific mass shootings seem to be occurring weekly in our country whose soul I fear for.  Our democracy is in danger when we want to control the right to vote more than the right to own an assault weapon. NO ONE needs an assault weapon for hunting or self protection.

When 2nd amendment rights mean more than the safety of our children, I despair.  Nature is my salvation.






I know it’s actually summer at this point in real time according to the custom of Memorial Day being the start of the season.   But these pictures are from early May.   I really am trying to catch up to real time.


20220501_154849Winnona and I are still in Virginia but hopefully getting close to the end since I have reservations in the mountains of North Carolina beginning June 1.

May proved true to it’s little rhyme “April showers bring May flowers”.   The temperatures were all over the place starting out in the mid 70’s at the beginning of the month and then fluctuating to mid 90’s and then down to highs in the low 50’s. 

Around the farm, the ephemeral May Apple was in bloom.  You can see the flower, small and white, attached to the stem under the leaf in the picture on above.



Also in the woods, are wild azalea.  Don’t you just love it when beautiful things just show up on their own?

20220501_181941


20220501_182026


Things were greening up but in early May the fall leaves were still the dominant color in the woods and water was low in the stream.

20220501_182439


There is a tiny “swimming hole” that you could sit in as the stream water trickles or tumbles over the rock depending on the volume.  But sit is all you can ever do.  Still it’s calming and serene for sitting beside in meditation.

20220501_182642


The fields haven’t been mowed yet and the turkey look like they are neck deep in grass.


The peonies in the yard are just beginning to open.  These were here when we bought the farm 44 years ago.


20220505_121644


Peony flowers provide food for ants and in turn, the ants protect the blossoms from other floral-feeding insects.


20220505_121657


Not wild but lovely azaleas in bloom by the entry porch.

20220505_121711


And the yard is full to over flowing with buttercups which I love and hate to mow.  It’s like a carpet of yellow.

20220505_121726


Carrie and David planted this Japanese maple in the yard.  You can see Winnona there in the barnyard in the distance.

20220505_121914


The grape arbor was re-constructed in a smaller form for David’s memorial service and the scuppernong grapes look like they will have a good harvest.  Hope I’ll get some this fall.

20220505_121921


Iris on the bank beside the farm lane is in full bloom.

20220505_133129


Not a frequent visitor but the Indigo Bunting is very noticeable here on the brick walk leading to the farmhouse. 



IMG_0388


In the woods, the Mountain Laurel is also in bloom. 
Another of Nature’s gifts.


20220507_131128


The blossoms are so delicate.  They delight me every year.

20220507_131137



IMG_0399


Interesting but not so delightful is Cedar Apple Rust which used to be the bane of the many apple trees we had.  It’s really strange looking.   Now we have only one and David’s not here to cut down the cedars near by.

IMG_0395


We have two very old Paulownia trees on the west side of the house.  The master bedroom porch overlooks them.  Given their age and condition, I was asked by the guy who came to trim the pecan, apple and maple trees around the house why I don’t take them down.   Two reasons: I love their purple bell like  flowers and the woodpeckers which love them.  I have Pileated, Downy, and Red Bellied woodpeckers  all the time.

20220507_131735


Paulownia are native to the far east and China where they are known as the Empress Tree.  I’ve read they are very invasive but these are the only two I’ve seen over our acres.   The trees can live to be over 200 years old.  I have no idea how old these are but they were fully mature 44 years ago and can stay as long as they want to.  I just hope when they are finished, they fall away from the house.

Paulownia


Just beyond the Paulownia trees out in the field we put a Purple Martin house thinking we might attract martins with the pond.  The house has been there since 1980 but no martins have come to stay.  About that I’m actually glad since I learned during a summer in Chautauqua New York that they are a seriously noisy group.  Many other birds have enjoyed the house including annual nesting by blue birds.

IMG_0425



Mrs. Bluebird

IMG_0426


and her Mister.

IMG_0429




I’ll close with this picture of Winnona who is finally back at her own house which now sports a 30 amp electric hook up.

20220518_103402


I hope you’ll take seriously the importance of voting for your senators and congressmen this November.  Please research their stand on gun control measures and vote for the one, regardless of party, who professes to have plans for banning assault weapons, better background checks, and red flag laws at a minimum.  There is no other way to defeat the gun lobby than to vote out their lackeys.  

23 comments:

  1. Glad to see Winnona safe and secure on the farm. She is looking good and ready to roll. Hope you have a great summer on the road after the O2 sensors get fixed. I'm waiting on my local Freightiner shop to get my Journey in to change the engine coolant and oil. They are always so busy. I wish I had the place to do it myself but I have no way to dispose of the many gallons of old coolant and 20 quarts of oil. My HOA has no sense of humor if I brought the Jouney home to work on it, they'd have me up on a violation in no time. :c(

    We planted a Japanese Maple in the front yard two years ago. Hope it grows to be as beautiful as yours, right now it is just a 5 foot high stick. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Paul and thanks so much for your advice on my recent woes. Winnona really needs a bath, especially the roof but it's beyond my ability. Not sure what I'll do.

      Delete
  2. Good to see Winnona safe at the farm ... and hope you're on the road soon. Thanks for the truism: "Our democracy is in danger when we want to control the right to vote more than the right to own an assault weapon."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I appreciate hearing from you here. I really don't understand how the country got to where it is where the minority seems to be ruling the majority if polls are to be believed.

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful spring flowers! My techy brother helped me figure out how to leave a comment! finally! I have to use a different browser for your blog in order to leave a comment. Chrome instead of Safari. Just in case anybody else has trouble. Glad to hear you are back on the road as of this date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad your brother figured it out for you and possibly many other Apple users. It seems apple doesn't want to play nice with google which sponsors blogger which is what I use for the blog. I really appreciate your letting me and other readers know that they can't comment using safari. Hope they are all as willing to use a different browser as you.

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy a walk about at the farm. So many beautiful blooms. But am happiest to see Winnona in the drive. Hoping you are already on the road again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaelyn. I should have been on the road May 31 but. . . things happen. More on that later. I hope I'm only going to be a week late for my NC mountains summer stay. It's ridiculously hot here.

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm. This comment box is different from what you had before. The flowers are beautiful! The cedar apple rust looks like pieces of yarn hanging down. Love the peonies- mine are growing but won't bloom this year. I am just glad that they are still alive. If I were Mrs. Bluebird, I would want colorful feathers like my mate has. The turkeys are so comical- I think I like them because they are sort of ugly like vultures (which I also love). That indigo bunting is a pretty guy. Everything at the farm is so colorful! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does seem that Google has changed the blogger comment box. Who know? I'm just glad they haven't done anything drastic to my ability to post. Wish you were here.

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely spring there in Virginia, Sherry. I only saw Mayapples once, and I can't even remember when it was...maybe when I was on the east coast one time in spring back in .....1991 or something? Ha. The blue birds are lovely, we get them too, and we even get an indigo bunting now and then, but the darn crows, scrub jays, and the stupid collared doves just about run off all the sweet little songbirds that try to make a happy home here. Lovely to see Winona safely in the driveway. Looking forward to seeing you on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayapples are one of the effemerel wildflowers Sue. All trace of them is gone in less than a month. Really glad we don't have any doves scaring off our bluebirds.

      Delete
  7. Had to switch to Microsoft Edge to comment. Even though I was signed in to my Google account, chrome wouldn't let me comment... Anyway, love the pictures of the farm, brings back lots of fond memories. Glad to see Winona put back together again - don't think you'll have to worry about vandalism from the wildlife on the farm. Good luck in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being so determined Roger I really do appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful spring flowers at your farm. Hoping you are in North Carolina now, escaping the farm chores so you can finally relax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Laurie. Not in NC yet. Another bump in the road.

      Delete
  9. Very beautiful Indigo Bunting. I have never seen one. We finished our four-month drive in the Sprinter and really enjoyed the Oregon coast. We shipped it from Tacoma to Anchorage and will be camping next week for 5 nights. The jet stream is all mucked up and we have been in the high 70s & low 80s since we got here. It should change next week to '50s & '60s again. Many military-type guns exist, so no more should be made. IMO I went into many gun stores on my trip and the walls were covered with M-4 type weapons. Most of the target shooters do not need or want them, however, they are in every drug Cartel movie and video game. The companies have made enough money off them already. I had to carry one and qualify 4 times a year, so when I got out of DOD I never wanted to see another one, Now as a geezer, I built one as a hobby and enjoyed taking it to the range. Do I need it? NO, but the no recoil and low power make it fun to shoot. So I read the new bill Congress wrote and if it passes 60 days after I will go from a good American to a felon overnight. I sure hope that bill fails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thought that we should just stop making military style weapons since there are so many already. Would you not be willing to give up your homemade gun in order to get more guns off the street? I'd love to know the details of shipping your RV up to Alaska it sounds like a great alternative to driving the highway especially for me alone.

      Delete
    2. I would be fine giving mine up. They do not make good self-defense weapons as they were designed to wound, not kill. As for shipping our RV, we contacted Wrightway Auto Carriers and they ship from Tacoma Wa to Anchorage 3 times a week. It cost $4700 and we got our Sprinter in 5 days. The drop-off dock was a $ 28 UBER ride to the SEATAC airport where we flew Alaska Air back to Anchorage.

      Delete
  10. Surprise! Yeah, it’s me. Happy to hear you and your travel-mate are reunited and soon hitting the road together again. I wish you safe travels with, hopefully, a squeaky clean roof. 😄

    Summer has arrived at the cabin, and so did I last week. Spent 3 months in Cape May working for Matt. It looks like I’m finally retired and might just jump in my van after all. Of course, the deterrent is the current cost of fuel.

    Bon voyage. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the going to get on the road story too many times to actually believe it. Would absolutely love for you to come and clean my roof. Really needs it. Great to see you in the comments again don't be such a stranger.

      Delete
  11. Love that indigo bunting!! Beautiful! Beautiful flowers too. Nice to see Winnona at the farm. Hopefully, you are just about on your way now and that something will be done to decrease the needless gun violence in our country. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Indigo Bunting on the brick walk was gorgeous. I hope there is the will to do something about so much violence. Love you too.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.