Thursday, June 9, 2022

Happy 6th Celia & Trying to Leave Town

May 20- June 9, 2022                                                       Most Recent Posts:
Greenfield Mountain Farm                     Spring is Finally Bustin’ Out All Over
Virginia                                             Late April-I Wish it was Still a Small Town


2561[1]


The weather has been all over the place.  Mid 90’s in May-Unheard of.  And then highs in the 40’s. 

These were the temperatures at the farm while I was in Maryland to visit Carrie for Celia’s 6th birthday.  It was cooler there.  And they have a salt water swimming pool.


I have only two grandchildren so it is too easy for me to overdo presents on birthdays especially since they are still little.

So rather than have it seems like Christmas, I portioned them out.  Two the day I arrived.  Two the next day and three on her birthday.




They weren’t big things.  But who doesn’t love to open presents.  Surprises are so much fun.  Colin had gone to the store with Daddy so we took that opportunity so he, at 3, would not feel badly about no gifts for him.

IMG_0440

This game has been a family favorite since my childhood.  It was invented in the 30’s and older versions are collectibles.


IMG_0442



IMG_0445


With a pool you need several swimming suits.  I wish I had taken her picture out of the water in this one which she wore to her swimming lesson the next morning.

IMG_0446


On Saturday Mommy was swamped literally.


20220521_071645


One of the two gifts today was a new pair of rainboots which Celia promptly wore all around the house in her nightgown.  The heels have lights that flash when you walk.  Too cute.  I want a pair like that.


Mommy takes advantage of a morning smoothie in a fancy glass.

IMG_0454


The wonderful young woman who took care of the kids when Carrie first went back to work came for Celia’s birthday and brought her a terrific box of Crayola pens, pencils and markers along with two coloring books.  The 3 of them colored together as they had done when they saw each other every day.  Not sure how Carrie found Nicole but the children love her.

IMG_0456


That evening Nicole took Celia out to eat and Matthew said he would take Colin and Carrie and I could go out for a Mother Daughter dinner so I treated her to Mexican food mostly so we both could have Margaritas.  Sorry we couldn’t do the selfie to include the great looking drinks.


20220521_182025



Sunday began with Nana and Colin reading a great little National Geographic book on Bees.  He got it from his Bee themed party at nursery school along with a Bee balloon the he absolutely loved.  I can’t believe I didn’t get a picture of him with that thing.  So funny!


IMG_0458


IMG_0459


Then it was time for Celia’s swimming lesson.  She can do the back stroke and the crawl and is very comfortable in the water now.  Face in and all.  Really important if you have a pool.




There is not much more fun than a pool full of little girls having a good time in the water.  The birthday girl is waving to her Nana.


She’s wearing the second swimming suit I got her for her birthday.  It has long sleeves so she won’t have to have sunscreen slathered all over her.  I’d like to have one of those too.  Why don’t they make these neat things for adults?

IMG_0494


Mothers enjoying the shade

IMG_0506


Of course after the pool it’s time for presents.  Everybody wants to see.

IMG_0507



IMG_0512


And then birthday cupcakes.  Colin’s head is barely visible at the foot of the table.


IMG_0517


20220523_120911


The next day it’s time for Nana to leave.  Everyone has to go back to work and school.  Luckily for me there is a Brusters that I have to drive by on my way from their house.   And Jamacian Me Crazy is a permanent flavor.  OH YES!

That’s about all the good news.






Unfortunately I have to squeeze in two surgeries for Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  One is on my face so I have to have Mohs Surgery.  I’m not too happy about this given how careful I am to wear a BIG hat and the 50spf sunscreen my dermatologist told me to every single day of my life.  

Sorry about the pictures.  They are actually for me to remember just how this was.  I sure hope there aren’t too many scars.

May 25 (1)May 27 (2)


May 27 (1)

 


20220531_152003Finally after 8 months, on Tuesday May 31st Winnona, Ruby and I leave the farm for the mountains of North Carolina for the summer.

In about 11 miles I start up Afton Mountain to get on I 64 west.  The check engine light comes on.  The rig starts to overheat.   I try not to panic.

SO VERY LUCKY that shortly there is a pull off this two lane road up a mountain that is big enough for both Winnona and Ruby.

I call for a tow.  The insurance company doesn’t have a clue.  Where is he?  In Missouri of course.  After nearly 45 minutes on hold and his coming back on line over and over to say he was checking the next company, he said that he couldn’t find anyone to come and I should call the police.  Maybe they could help me.

WHAT?


20220531_155148So I hang up and call a close by  local garage that I know has a truck big enough for Winnona.  This is a real concern when you call an insurance company and don’t make it clear that a regular tow truck will not do.  My insurance guy said he called them but their trucks were out at an accident.   But by the time he fiddled around they were back but of course the insurance company has to call or I have to pay.  Quote -$1000 to tow me into Charlottesville. 

After I called A and then call B back and B calls A and A calls me back, it wasn’t 20 minutes before a guy who definitely knew what he was doing got Winnona hooked up for her first ever tow in 18 years. 


20220531_163620I followed and we ended up at Jim Price Chevrolet in Charlottesville where they work on trucks and more trucks – dump trucks, school busses, krispy kreme trucks, RVs. 

3rd piece of luck after the available pull over and getting the tow company I wanted was that Mr. Price has two electric hook ups for RVs.  Trying to look on the bright side but boy it’s tough.

So here I sat waiting for parts.  Turns out it was an O2 sensor, radiator hose clamps and the fan clutch.    

I paid $100 in shipping to have the parts “next day” but the week-end interfered and it wasn’t finished  until Monday the 6th.  When we discuss the bill I see I”m being charged $600 for towing.  After a couple of phone calls, that was cleared up but I thought it was very interesting that the tow company charges Jim Price $600 and me or my insurance $1000.  I had to call the insurance and she told me that’s what they paid.  SO if you don’t have towing insurance you might want to have the shop call for the tow truck.  it might save some money

On Tuesday, I hook up Ruby and head out.  I get as far as the end of the drive into the dealer and when I go to stop, my foot goes all the way to the floor.  Not good on an RV towing a car.  Can’t back up.  Luckily they have a second entrance but I have to weave my 56 foot self through rows of new cars.   This time it is brake hoses.  They also fix my lights connection between the RV and the car that has been on and off.  A short I think.  

Anyway I’m right back where I was over 10 nights ago. At least it has 30 amp.  No water.  No dump.  Semi boondocking.  This photo was taken when I first arrived.  Since then my neighbors have left. 


20220602_195804


These are my neighbors out my front window.

20220602_195710


And the reading material in the waiting room.  You may need to blow the picture up to see that both publications are from the NRA.   Not exactly how I was hoping to spend the first 1/3 of June.  Another wait for parts and I MIGHT be able to try again to leave on Friday.  My favorite – I just love driving on week-ends.  Tongue firmly in cheek.

20220602_160515


Luckily I have a month long reservation in North Carolina where to date, I will be more than 10 days late.  No refund for the 1/3 of the month I have missed.

I feel like a bad luck magnet!
I’ve been off the road now for more than 9 months.

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It didn't used to be that way but it seems so now and pretty much ever since David died and covid struck.

      Delete
  2. They do make those long sleeved bathing suit tops for adults. I have one. Got it at Sierra. I mandate that you have used up all of the bad luck available and there won't be any more. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you are right. I feel like I've used it all up.

      Delete
  3. Ugh! Glad you started with happy birthday times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I did it Laurie. Thanks for sharing my misery.

      Delete
  4. Enough is enough. So happy to see your family celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the party. Couldn't agree more that enough is enough with surgery (actually two-I didn't bother with the 12 stitches in my thigh) and RV repairs.

      Delete
  5. I agree that we all need boots with light up heels - especially pink ones!! Looks like a wonder-full birthday celebration! I wish we could transport ourselves to spend birthdays with all our grands. Glad to see Celia is already a good swimmer - lucky girl to have a pool to share with friends. You and Colin are adorable in your matching shirts for reading! CanNOT believe that after you got the parts installed your brakes went out!! You could not make this up. Such a bummer to be burning up your reservation. Can't wait to read that you're in a beautiful camping spot and trouble-free!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodee. What a great comment. I couldn't believe it all and on top of two cancer surgeries. Give me a break!

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties with Winona. I guess it is a good thing that it happened so close to home and not way out somewhere! Thank you for posting about the skin cancers, a reminder to all of us to take better care of ourselves. I don't use sunscreen enough, but as you said, damage still happens from when we baked our skin years and years ago as youngsters. Great birthday party and what a wonderful grandma you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Jeannie - how did you do it? Other Apple users are having trouble and could use your advice. Yes I am VERY thankful this all happened so close to the place where I know where to go. Still the bills will take me at least 6 months to pay off.

      Delete
  7. Sherry, I hope you are headed to the Boone area in NC. Those mountains should help cool you off. One of my favorites....but the winters there can be challenging. Loved seeing Celia's 6th birthday celebration. Always hard for that second little one to understand why there are no presents.....that gets better with age. I like how you divided and conquered. Pretty good record for Winnona...her FIRST tow. she's been faithful.....but I know your faithful mechanic and dear spouse kept her going. I am glad you recorded your scar. That's a pretty good one for Moh's. Angela just had Moh's on her face...not even 50. She did work as a lifeguard as a teenager. Enjoy your cool time in the beautiful mountains of NC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment Carol thank you. I'm staying in 2 different places in the North Carolina mountains and one of them is near Boone. My best to Angela. We were all in the sun way too much apparently.

      Delete
  8. Nice to relive your visit! It was a fun few days! I am definitely doing up the sunscreen and wearing hats! Hopefully, they got it all this time with your thigh and the face one won't scar too badly. Glad you were able to get to Jim Price and they could take care of things. I really hope you can get back on the road and to NC within a day or two. Congratulations on being caught up to the present with this blog!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reliving things like the visit and her party is why I do the blog. I'm so glad you liked it.

      Delete
  9. Celia is a fashion trend setter. Now I'm going to wear rain boots with my nightgown too! :cD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. You are definitely right about that William.

      Delete
  11. Winona is aging a lot like me.... As soon as something gets fixed, something else goes wrong. Love the pictures of Colin and Celia... they are really cute. Hope the rest of your summer is trouble free and cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and me too with the things going wrong. Always so good to hear from you. I love your picture. Hope it isn't tooo tooo hot there in San Marcos. Do you have a summer escape to somewhere planned? It's been in the mid 90's in Virginia and for June that is really rare and seems to keep coming back repeatedly.

      Delete
  12. A bit late this time around, as we were traveling. Cost a ridiculous amount to simply drive south to Oroville for one night only for my friend's Celebration of Life for her mother. 300 bucks in fuel. So maybe sitting tight might be the order of the day for many of us, although we made another decision, the last and final one, this morning to continue with out prepaid plans for the trip to the northeast coming up in less than two months. So incredibly sorry you are dealing with problems with Winona. As our rigs age, it seems that it is one thing after another. Mo said today she wishes she could do something other than playing catchup with fixits. This time around it is the engine light in the MoHo, a noisy water pump, and a leaky toilet. All things that have to be attended to before we attempt a cross country trip. Then of course, there is still the mowing. Take care, Sherry, and hopefully things will ease up soon for you with some down time in a great campground.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never too late Sue. Very good to see you especially with so many people who normally comment unable to for unknown reasons. Yes fuel may do in the RV life style for all but the very rich but I'm not sure they RV, they fly. As for trying to keep up with fixits, I still know that repairs are less expensive even for me without a Mo than buying another RV, IF I could find one and if it had fewer problems which I am not at all sure the newer ones do. The question remains for me, can I continue fixits and gas on one income. I just hate the thought of quitting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I finally figured out how to be able to comment, but what an ordeal! Not as bad as what you have been through, though, so hoping you are finally able to get on your way to enjoy North Carolina. I remember the days of trying to keep an old class A going with no skills ourselves. The expense and frustration of it finally did drive us to make a change to a smaller, newer RV. What we were paying in monthly repair bills was more than our payment on the newer RV. Fingers crossed for you that you have some months ahead of just relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you figured out how to comment Liz but sorry it was such an ordeal. I guess that's why others have not figured it out. Would love to know when you traded for smaller and newer. With prices gone through the roof. I don't think, on one income, I can afford to do that.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.