Monday, October 11, 2021

The Trail to Lake Paran Take Two

August 9, 2021                                                               Most Recent Posts:
Camping on the Battenkill                           The Bridges of Bennington County
Arlington, Vermont                                           Robert Frost’s Stone House



On Monday I went back to the Robert Frost Stone House to do the trail I had abandoned previously.  See the previous Robert Frost Stone House Post above for details.  This time I was armed with my phone and insect repellent.  It was scheduled to be in the 80’s but I thought being in the woods, it would be fine.


The Robert Frost trail head goes directly off the parking lot for the Robert Frost Stone House.  It is described as a 2 mile footpath that ends at Lake Paran in North Bennington.  Somehow the word footpath is more charming than trail. 



The trail’s first mile is on the Frost property begins as a mowed field path,  goes by the remnants of his apple orchard and the sign at the trailhead said through his stand of red pines. I didn’t see a stand of pines so I wonder how old the information sign is. 


I did see narrow brushy paths which eventually led into the woods.  Unfortunately for me the heat in Vermont in the 80’s feels like Virginia or Florida in the 90’s.  The humidity was sweat producing and the mosquitoes were again very bothersome.  



Of course in the woods there was fungi.  This was quite a large colony.

IMG_8985



IMG_8983


IMG_8988


Strangely, the woods did not provide mosquito relief.  This is really the first place and turned out to be the only place the mosquitoes were a real nuisance.

IMG_8989


I was back to the very narrow brushy paths when I reached the bridge over Paran Creek which is at mile 1.15 or about half way.

IMG_8990


IMG_8991


On the other side of the creek “two roads diverged”.  I decided to make it a loop trail by taking the high road first and the low road back.  On the sign, the high road had been described as offering “long views before heading back down to the lake”.  Hope to see the green mountains in the distance.


No views from up here.  At least not for someone 5 foot tall.


No views from here


But I thought Mother Nature’s lichen was very artistic.



IMG_8999


Finally on the way back down there were some  obstructed views of the lake  through the trees but the long views of perhaps mountains I was hoping for were not anywhere.  Further evidence that the sign is old and out of date.

IMG_9003


At the bottom of the hill a boardwalk began and went along the lake to the public beach.

IMG_9005


IMG_9006


IMG_9009



IMG_9014



IMG_9015While putting this post together, I was surprised to find that these were the only pictures I took of the beach area where I remember people were swimming and there was a concession stand.  I spoke with two women who had taken the low road and was sure I had taken pictures there but if so, they weren’t on my camera.  Suffice it to say that being in the water on the beach or playing on this slide would have been much better than battling mosquitoes in the heat on the “footpath”.


IMG_9016


After wishing I was wearing a swimming suit under my hiking clothes, I headed back on the low road.


IMG_9026


Look carefully in the picture below for the shite dot in the middle of the photo beyond the cloud reflection.


IMG_9031


It’s one of two waterfowl I saw on my return walk.

IMG_9034



This was the only impediment on the trail other than the narrowness of some of the areas of overgrowth.  Tick habitat I fear but I was well dressed for it with long pants and long sleeves despite the hot for Vermont weather.

IMG_9039


On the return trip I stopped for a bit on the lovely bridge.

IMG_9040


IMG_9042


IMG_9043


It is beautifully built and a wonderful place to sit and ponder the poetry of Frost posted there.

IMG_9044


IMG_9045


If you’ve read my previous post on the Frost Stone House then you know why this poem was posted here but I still think it should have The Road Not Taken since there are two choices of “roads” as you hike toward the Lake, the high road and the low road.   Not sure that either one makes all the difference though.

IMG_9046



With the heat, humidity and bothersome mosquitoes, even though it was a very nice hike which I would be happy to do it again on a day with less of all those things, I was very glad to see the farm and the end of the  trail.

IMG_9049

21 comments:

  1. Does that bridge count as a covered bridge? 😊
    I love your posting of the Frost poems in this and previous blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely should count as a pedestrian covered bridge Cindy. Great comment!

      Delete
  2. Mosquitos don't sound like the least bit of fun. And the humidity is different somehow that tropical humidity I think. Although I have only been in Vermont in October, so how would I know. Sure hoping you will give us a clue as to where you are now....I know it is a lot to catch up, but ummm.....can you just give us an idea before you continue with your catch up posts? one paragraph will do.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hike was very nice but the humidity and bugs were definitely irritating. I am in Virginia for the fall and hopefully heading back to Florida but have hit a difficulty to be covered in a future post. Hope that's OK.

      Delete
  3. You are only 26 miles from where we will be staying near Dorset where my friend Jeanne lives. Next year in September after we go to New York. I loved Manchester, best little yarn shop ever is there, and a great art gallery. And the Vermont Country Store in Dorset is the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my next post will talk a bit about that area. What a great spot. Will you be taking the RV and staying on her property?

      Delete
  4. That trail really did look overgrown as if you'd need a machete to get past all of the plants. The fungi that is upturned on the edges is interesting. Love the egret! I love to watch them move so
    s l o w l y when looking for fish to catch. They look so graceful. The lake looks inviting (any body of water looks inviting to me). Drat the humidity and the mosquitos. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely nearly overgrown in spots. Graceful is a wonderful word to describe the herons and egrets.

      Delete
  5. I can't stand mosquitoes! Lovely trails nonetheless. Glad you decided to hike them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on mosquitoes. This was the only place they were a bother and I have no idea why. I hate to think that the rest of the state has been sprayed.

      Delete
  6. Doesn't look like these trails get much use, could be the mosquitos. Yet it is pretty and the lake looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a pretty good guess Gaelyn. I saw only two people on the trail both times I was on it. It is a very nice trail with the lovely sitting spot at the stream and the lake at the end.

      Delete
  7. I did like that little covered bridge with the nice sitting area. Too bad those @$(*^%*! mosquitoes have a way of ruining everything. As you can see I have no love for those flying bloodsuckers. I'd tell you how I really feel about those pain in the neck bugs but I don't want to get banned from blogger. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you get along with South Carolina's mosquitoes Paul. I hate them too but most of the repellants are nearly deadly with chemicals.

      Delete
    2. Strangely, the area where we live has no mosquitoes. I was sure we'd be bothered by them living near a shallow pond but the frogs have them under control. I'm amazed and pleased.

      Delete
  8. Lovely trail to look at! I would much rather see your photos than actually be out there with the mosquitos, ticks, and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely trail, lake and bridge, but I can just imagine how sweaty that was in your tick protection outfit with mosquitoes around your eyes. Not the most enjoyable that's for sure. I'm impressed you stuck it out and we can view it without the heat and bugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweaty is right but I'm glad I did it. Just wish I'd been able to take a dip in the cool lake before heading back.

      Delete
  10. yes, sounds pretty miserable with the bugs, etc. Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. You headed north for the summer to escape heat and humidity! So sorry you had to endure that in Vermont. Still, the trails were beautiful in your photos, and that bridge is lovely. I hope you're enjoying a beautiful fall at home.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.