Saturday, October 23, 2021

A Morning with Bullhead Pond’s Green Herons

August 13, 2021                                                     Most Recent Posts:
Camping on the Battenkill         More Unexpected Fun in Eastern New York
Arlington, Vermont                                    Wandering Around Vermont                   


I was out of the house at just after 7 and in the water before 8am.  No one else around.  Just the way I like it.

An earlier post gave a first look at Bullhead Pond and a resolve to go back since although it was small, it had an easy put in and was close by.  That’s what I did with my morning.  I seem to get less and less enamored with driving.


It was early and light but the sun was not really on the pond when I began my paddle.

IMG_9170


Is it an Eastern Phoebe flitting around?

IMG_9177


I wonder how long before these pond lilies take over the entire surface.  Ultimately they become impossible to paddle through.


IMG_9240


The pond has a sign for Vermont Fish & Wildlife but no indication who owns this lone house on the pond’s shore.  Seems like a great place to live.

IMG_9242


Along the water’s edge was a lovely buttonbush.   It’s a native perennial with a very wide range from Nova Scotia to Florida.  Its flower is a favorite of butterflies and its ultimately deep red buttons are a favorite food of ducks and other waterfowl.

IMG_9187


IMG_9189



My kind of hitch hiker.


After paddling around the edge of the pond and seeing only the things pictured above, I wondered what to do now.  Then I saw some movement on the edge of the shore a bit away from me.  Zooming in with my camera, I located this green heron.


I spent a very long time watching him strike his various poses.  His coloring is particularly striking.




He almost seems to be say “SO what do you want?” though I wasn’t close enough to bother him.

IMG_9207


But I was close enough for my previous friend or another of the same species to give me the eye.


IMG_9215


Looking back in the direction of the first heron, I saw movement to the left and found two more greens.

IMG_9223



I’m wondering if this is a family?   Dad’s out hunting?  Mom’s with junior near by?  Or am I anthropomorphizing again?

IMG_9225


Not sure you can see how far apart they were, my colored circles are a bit light.  But the red one on the left circles these two above and the gold one on the right circles the lone green heron.  Look closely and tell me if you can spot them.

IMG_9227


Looks like he’s fishing.

IMG_9232


IMG_9234


IMG_9239


I stayed much longer than I might have at this little tranquil spot watching the herons.  In the mean time several folks had come up to where I put in with their fishing poles to try for the largemouth bass, perch and bullhead the Vermont Fish and Wildlife sign says you might find there.

A lovely morning before heading home for lunch and the various errands of life.  But this paddle was a great way to start the day.

IMG_20210813_085841939_HDR

23 comments:

  1. Lovely Vermont morning. Looks like an On Golden Pond cabin, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely morning Sue and your comment makes me want to find that wonderful movie and watch it again. A good example of why I love your comments. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Nice herons! So nice to have the place to yourself. I had to look to make sure I didn't miss a post. We're on vacation in Mexico right now, blog when I get back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While Laurie, vacation in Mexico can't wait to hear about it. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. Well darn, my comment on your last post didn't load! I told you about my favorite swimming hole near Lake Havasu :-) Thank you for sharing the wonderful Green Herons. They're a favorite I've yet to see in the wild, but will keep looking. Some of the ponds on the west coast are so full of lillies that I don't know how there's any room for fish let alone kayaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well double darn that I missed your comment They are always so good. I looked around to see if it was in my Spam or Blogger ate it and couldn't find it anywhere unfortunately. Always love to hear about swimming holes.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are so interesting William and the greens in particular look so different when they are scrunched down hunting or standing up tall looking

      Delete
  5. Lovely pond and really neat herons. I couldn't see them in the circles, but that may be because I'm on my phone instead of a computer. That camera took excellent pictures of them from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you aren't the only one who couldn't see them in the circles but it is true that my blog does not show up show up nearly as well on a phone. Not only is it too small but the formatting is all messed up.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful pictures of the green herons. Are they smaller than other kids of herons? I love the picture of the one heron facing you with the "What are you doing?" expression. I could see the herons in the circles. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you could see the herons in the circles you must have been reading the blog on something larger than a phone. The green herons are smaller than some other herons like the great blue. But they appear very tall when they stretch their necks up.

      Delete
  7. Loved the buttonbush and the herons. Nice you got to watch the birds for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely morning Lynne. And so quiet and serene.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful way to start your day! Kayaking always makes me happy and peaceful. I think Green Herons are among the most beautiful of birds. They're one of my favorites. Such a treat that you saw three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayaking is my very favorite way to start the day and even more so when all I have to do is walk to the put in like you are able to do at your wonderful house.

      Delete
  9. So glad you got out paddling, and therefore so do we. Your bird photos are always superb. Fun to just sit and watch them for a while. Fish & Wildlife often leaves structures and uses them for any number of things. Love the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you paddling with me Gaelyn I wish we could do it together in real time.

      Delete
    2. You'd have to paddle, my shoulders couldn't take it.

      Delete
  10. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts. We're currently stuck caring for Marti's elderly spinster sister who has dementia, keeping us from any travels at all. Seeing your wildlife pictures and adventures is a breath of fresh air for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I can be of some help to you in what must be a very trying situation. Your comments are a great help to me in what is increasingly a lonely situation.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful pictures of the herons. Looks like a pretty serene spot.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.