Monday, August 2, 2021

Keeping Busy Despite the Rain

July 12 -14, 2021                                                Most Recent Posts
Moose River Campground                      Vermont State Parks - 7 in a day      
Saint Johnsbury, Vermont             Sticking Close to Home in Vermont              



Seems it’s been raining here nearly every day at some point.  How I wish I could send it out to the folks with drought conditions although they tell me here that the Northern Kingdom is low on rain for the year and they are glad to have it.


Leap: Williams, Terry Tempest: 9780679752578: Amazon.com: Books

Rain is a great time to read.  I have two books going.  One is  Terry Tempest Williams metaphysical/painting analysis book Leap for my weekly book discussion with my friend Laurie.  I love Williams’ work but it’s not easy.  It’s dense and contemplative.  As is her subject matter an amazing painting by Heironymous Bosch.  So glad I have Laurie to talk with about it all every Wednesday evening. More on that later.

One day during the rain, I called both Escapees Parks and a private park  in Florida to try to fill in the month long gap in my 2022 winter reservations.  All said “sorry all filled up” not taking any more names for the waiting lists.  Not sure how much longer I can compete for spots in the Florida state parks for winter a year ahead of time against the increasing number of people in competition.  And the Canadians aren’t even part of the mix yet.  SIGH.

Another thing rain is good for is writing blog posts so hopefully I can get caught up to now. 


On this beautiful Monday the rain stopped early.  I zoomed in on my map and found two nearby ponds and a covered bridge to visit so I headed out.  First to Miles Pond.

IMG_6931


The pond looked beautiful today and I may well come back to kayak it given that it is only about 12 miles away.  But like many small Vermont ponds the shore is covered with cabins and homes known here as camps.  My preference is for fewer people and more wildlife.  But I do love paddling and it has an easy put in.

IMG_6936


From there I added the Lunenburg Covered Bridge also known as the Mount Oren Bridge to my collection.  Built in 1911, it was restored in 1983.

IMG_6939


IMG_6940

Couldn’t resist this shot of a bicyclist going through the bridge.

IMG_6937


The inside of these bridges is as complicated as the outside is simple.  Both sides are truly beautiful.  I am in love with these bridges and each one is different.

IMG_6942


IMG_6945


IMG_6948


I saw this harvest going on as I came through the bridge.  I’m not familiar with whatever they are doing but it clearly takes a lot of big equipment and manpower.  Can anyone clue me in?
 

IMG_6949


From there I went to Shadow Lake another beautiful small body of water with houses all along its shore.  Not sure how it is determined when something is a lake and not a pond.  But Shadow is no bigger than Miles.

They both looked lovely today and perhaps Shadow might better have been called Reflection Lake.


IMG_6960


IMG_6961


IMG_6963


After seeing these two lakes and such lovely skies I’m wishing I had brought the kayak to get in at least one of them.  But they are close enough I can come back if I get another day like this one.

The unpredictability of the rain has made taking the kayak out sketchy since the predictors are not always terribly accurate.  I have to plan it well so I don’t end up sitting in a kayak full of water.  Or being on the water when it is lightning.


IMG_6964As I said, I do get “chores” and reading done during the rainy times.  So I don’t really mind the rain. It isn’t usually accompanied by harsh winds and is mostly  quite gentle.  I enjoy hearing it on the roof and awning and sitting in the front window with a cup of hot chocolate.  Yes it is  cool enough in Vermont that 50 degree mornings are good for hot chocolate



IMG_7064 (2)It seldom rains all day long so if it’s in the morning, I go out in the afternoon and vice versa.  If rain is predicted for the afternoon, I get out in the morning.

Either way, I sometimes do my Leap reading outside by the river under the awning.  The magnifying glass you see is to enable me to find the details of the painting Williams refers to in the fold out rendition of Hieronymus Boshe’s painting, The Garden of Earth Delights. The fold out is in the back of the book.  Williams spent 7 years visiting this painting in the Prado Museum in Spain.  She’s an unusual woman, a spiritual woman, a committed environmentalist and I love her work.

Back to a third pond nearby.  


Joe’s Pond is named after a Native American who befriended the early white settlers of this area and lived with his wife Molly on an island in the pond.  It is another beautiful body of water with cabins and camps all around it.   It is quite small and with too much civilization and potential for the cabin owners to bring out their power boats for me to be interested in it as a kayak destination.  But I may choose one of the other two if I don’t come along some less populated bodies of water soon.

However, Joe’s Pond  has two other interesting features

One is Lamoille Valley Rail Trail whose parking lot  is in the park next to one side of the top of the pond. 

I don’t have my bike with me and actually prefer to walk.  I’ve found that when biking, I am constantly stopping to see things I’ve spotted and to take pictures so I’m getting on and off the bike repeatedly.  I’ve just given up and I just walk.

As you can see from the trail marked in red, it is a nice long bike trail for those so inclined and leaves from St Johnsbury.  I didn’t walk it from there because I wanted to see this pond and that’s nearly 20 some miles to get here.

I drove over to Joe’s which is outside of Danville, the next town over from St Johnsbury in order to walk the trail along one side of Joe’s and check out the pond for kayaking.   It was a very nice walk with lots of interesting sights along the way.

A group of mallards was snoozing on the pond’s edge at the car park when I started out.


IMG_6986


IMG_6992


Nice surface all the way.  I did about 2.5 miles and then turned around and saw it all from the other direction.  Some people hate retracing their steps and want loop trails at the least.  I don’t mind at all.  I always see things I didn’t notice before.

IMG_6994


Lots of different waterfront homes along the pond.

IMG_6998



IMG_7040



Not sure if this is a snowberry plant.  They have white berries.  Does anyone know?

IMG_7003


IMG_7034



Some folks have let sections of their waterfront property stay wild.  But not many.  I guess most would rather mow grass.

IMG_7009


At some points, roads leading to pond front houses cross the bike trail.

IMG_7012


IMG_7016


The water lilies are lovely until their “plates” cover the water area and cut off the sunlight.  I’ve kayaked in places where they are so thick you struggle to get through them.

IMG_7020


This house wins for the most interesting along the trail.

IMG_7022


The bridge goes over the swamp of Camp Swampy.  I’d love to meet whoever lives here.

IMG_7024


Not sure what this cone with a broken kayak paddle in it marks but it was the end of the paved trail.  It turned to gravel and then to grass.  I turned around at the beginning of the grass.  I suppose the bikers can keep going and see where it goes.  I’d have done that if I’d been on a bike.  I always like to know what’s next.

IMG_7026


Beyond the cone, it’s gravel.

IMG_7027


Beyond the gravel, it’s grass

IMG_7030




The second interesting feature about Joe’s Pond is that it is between Rts 2 and 15.  At the fork of these two roads stands Hastings Store.


As you can see, at the end of my hike along Joe’s pond it started to rain (not predicted) but I stopped at the store anyway.  I love old stores as much as old bridges.  This one was great.  It sold fresh produce and berries, would make you a sandwich or sell you a t-shirt or canned goods and even had the old post office still in it.  These stores are gems of our past.  May we always patronize them and keep them in business.



For most of our years at the farm, the Batesville store stood at the head of the curving mountain road that led 5 miles from the store to the farm.  These same mailboxes were in that store along with wooden floors and many other great supplies one would need 24 miles from the nearest town.  But sadly about 10 years before we went on the road, the Page Family who had owned the store since the depression sold it and the post office built a small building next to the store and took the beautiful old boxes out.   But not here.  While I was inside, someone came in with her key to check her mail.  I loved it!

Outside the chalk board will tell you what’s up for today.  There is also a  rocking chair and a picnic table on the entry porch.  No pictures of those because I didn’t want to interrupt the people eating there.



IMG_6978



IMG_7047


And of course they have ice cream.  And of course I had to have two scoops.

IMG_7049


Don’t you love her t-shirt.


And this one on a woman coming into the store who moved her necklace so I could take a picture.  Carrie will appreciate this one.

IMG_7051


This man looks like he belongs here.  He’d just gotten up from the picnic table when I came out with my ice cream.

IMG_7053

As the wonderful Judy Bell of Travels With Emma would say…
THE END!


24 comments:

  1. The hot chocolate made me laugh and the idea of rain made me envious! What a lovely state is Vermont and I see that there are clever people with very clever sayings on their shirts. The "amazing" one is priceless. I am so happy that you are visiting there in case I never see it for myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could make you laugh with my hot chocolate Pam. Hop in your car and come on up and stay a few days and see Vermont. You are always welcome.

      Delete
  2. Love those old general stores with the post office inside. Perfect place for ice cream cones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can see why you are loving Vermont...even in the rain!! July was the wettest month on record in Maine...not the best for hiking over here!! The love of covered bridges is probably genetic...Ohio has a ton of beautiful covered bridges also:-)) Love that general store and the T-shirts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may call you to hear about what you've been doing in Acadia. So funny that I'm not sure I ever even saw a bridge when I lived in Ohio.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you and will always support mom and pop stores whenever I can. Sadly, too often they are selling stuff made in China. But looking hard enough I usually can find some nice item or two that are locally and loving made. They get a special place in our knick-knack cabinet.

    I'm enjoying your Vermont travels, I think I have to talk my brothers into going there on next years motorcycle trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you and your brothers stay on your motorcycle trips Paul? There are a lot of beautiful back roads here and I've seen a number of motorcycle groups on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're a bunch of lazy riders and stay in hotels instead of putting up tents. After a long day in the saddle, who wants to bend up and down putting up a tent? Not to mention sleeping on the ground. I'm spoiled in my old age. :cD

      Delete
    2. I quit tenting when I bought Winnona and think I'm too old to go back so I get it. There is a lot of info on line about scenic byways and back roads in Vermont.

      Delete
  6. Wonder if Marisa B. has read Leap. I think her specialty, or at least one of her favorites, as an art historian is Hironymus Bosch. Lovely lakes and ponds. Love both the shirts at that very cute store. Glad you are enjoying Vermont in rain and shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question. I'd love to ask her. Vermont has a lot of wonderful lakes and ponds. And it also has mountains. Very nice.

      Delete
  7. The cloud reflections are amazing. And of course I love the covered bridges. Nice to see water that isn't flowing so hard from our monsoon rains. Nice trail, I'd rather walk than ride and love to see the trail both ways. Hope you get a chance to paddle. Although I know of Williams work I never got into reading it, wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cloud reflections too. If you decide to do Williams, her most approachable if you aren't a mystic is Refuge although she has a several essay collections about the Red Rock of Utah which I really like.

      Delete
  8. I love browsing in those old general stores, too. I can always find something to buy and hope that in some small way I'm contributing to them staying in business. Miles Pond looks like a wonderful place to kayak! We didn't bring our kayak with us on this trip to North Carolina because there don't seem to be any places to kayak that aren't fast water. It feels so strange to not have our kayak with us! I really like Terry Tempest Williams, too...we heard her speak in Ashland many years ago and she was very inspiring. I didn't know about her new book, I'll have to look for it. I loved Refuge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leap is not a new book, it was published in 2000 so it's 20 years old now and it's very different from Refuge. It's unique and would be difficult to recommend unless you are a Williams devotee which I am. Hope you are cooler and having fun in North Carolina.

      Delete
  9. I will wait for winter to read Leap again. I bought the real book for Erosion. Didn't realize till I got into it that many of the essays are about Bears Ears, either directly or indirectly. Lively ponds, but I discovered when visiting Vermont that there are camps everywhere. Jeanne has a house lakehouse on Lake Champlain on the Vermont side. Gorgeous lonely kayaking. It is raining here at the beach on the Oregon Coast and just 2 hours inland it is thick smoke and triple digits. Don't visit Oregon after mid July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are getting rain but surprised to hear there's lonely kayaking on lake Champlain? I haven't been there because it's so big I assumed it would be full of power boats.

      Delete
  10. Amazing what a different perception there is when the gray skies are rain clouds instead of smoke. Your pics look refreshing and make me want to get outside :-) I love the complicated interiors of covered bridges, they're pieces of art! There is a great general store in Cabot, VT with a little cafe tucked in the back. The whole place is like stepping back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your comparison of gray skies. I never think of smoke although there have been a couple of days when the sky's here were affected by the smoke from Canada amazingly. Clearly you are very perceptive to notice both that and the artwork in the bones of the bridges. Thanks for the Cabot recommendation. I was thinking today about how nearly everyone loves lighthouses covered bridges and Old country stores. Are we longing for the past?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice collection of "Vermont" scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you've managed to find different spots with water! Those old country stores are fun. Die and I used to live in Rochelle in Madison County and there was a combination Post Office and store. The guy told us, "We have dreamsicles and creamsicles and twin pops that that's all we have." xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is another pretty area— the perfect combination of woodsy trails and little towns. I especially love the country store/PO— the Ivy post office isn’t nearly so charming, but it is old and still has a small wall of mailboxes, and it shares a building with a plant nursery, which isn’t nearly as good as baked goods and ice cream, but at least it’s trying! I’m impressed by the lake/cloud reflection photos; they are hard to capture well, and that last one is so perfect it could probably be flipped upside down! But my favorite ones are the ducks — awwww! -there aren’t many things cuter than sleeping ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once again getting caught up on my blog reading. All that rain is what makes VT so green. At Joe's Pond every winter the have an ice out event, closest to the date and time the ice breaks wins, proceeds from the tickets are split between winner and local association that puts on their annual fireworks. We've stopped many a time at Hastings, we had a similar but smaller store in our town. If they didn't have it you didn't need it. I am so enjoying the VT posts, brings back great memories of our time there.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.