Friday, December 8, 2023

Anastasia and St. Augustine

November 20-November 26, 2023                        Most Recent Posts:
Anastasia State Park                                  Fernandina Beach and Egan Creek
site 136                                             Virginia to Florida and Rain at Fort Clinch
St Augustine, FL


Here I am almost 3 weeks behind AGAIN.  How does this happen?

On Monday November 20th,  after all the rigamarole of closing up and cleaning the jacks and taking off the water and dumping the tanks and all the rest of it,  I drove 89 miles south from one beach to another.  Neither campground is right on the ocean the parks are and  I’ve actually gotten smart enough to understand the amount of rust that can harm your vehicles from being parked by salt water year after year.   Both campgrounds are walking distance to the ocean and that’s great for me.


ARRIVING AT ANASTASIA


20231120_154753I was backing into my site at Anastasia State Park from the very narrow, one way campground road when a truck pulled up trying to go out the campground loop.  Of course he could not get by me and when I got out to check and make sure I’d pulled Winnona up far enough to cut into the campsite,  I walked back to ask if he would spot me since he had to wait anyway.  He said sure and when he got out, he said he was a former tractor trailer driver and would I like him to just put it in there for me.  “YOU BET”.

And he did and it turned out he had the site right across from me but only for one more night sadly.  They were Julia and Stephen from Tampa with their two daughters and I’m sorry I didn’t get to know them.

As you can see from the picture, Stephen didn’t even put the seat back for his 6’ frame.  Look at his knees.  People are so nice.




20231120_163218Here is Winnona in site 136 with the most beautiful large live oak tree keeping watch over us.

Notice just in front of the car are the tree roots painted orange by the park service so you don’t drive over them.   These are BIG roots and they end up being under your mat which makes putting chairs out difficult.  But if you park further back you have to use an extension cord to get to the electric box which is toward the front of the site so it’s a no win situation.

IMG_9989 



Still I’ll take it to share this space with  this magnificent being.

PXL_20231121_183958110.MP



PXL_20231121_130711999.MP cOn the relatively short drive down here the roads were not any rougher than usual and not as rough as many other times.   I never drive over 55 or 60 regardless of what the limit is and what everyone else is doing, so I guess the closet bar braces, which are stupidly plastic, had just had enough after nearly 20 years and cracked.  

Here’s what I found when I opened the door after arriving.

FYI, they often hide the vital cargo carrying weights and other information on the back wall of the closet.  That’s what the sheet is hanging there.

I’d just arrived and had no energy to deal with this problem so I closed the door and vowed to tackle it tomorrow.   Instead I walked out to the beach.

Anastasia has one of the longest boardwalks protecting their dunes that I’ve seen.
So long I could not get it all in one picture or even two.


20231203_094236



I absolutely love being able to walk out to the beach any time I like.

20231203_094217



PXL_20231121_135421455.MP


Another wonderful thing about this park is how much of the ocean front it has protected.  It is a very very long, very very wide beach.

PXL_20231130_190626247.MP




PXL_20231121_130739789.MP

The next day with more energy, I set out to find the replacement part for the closet which of course proved impossible.  I did find a similar thing that was metal this time but the holes from the broken plastic one didn’t match up with the new one and amazingly I could not find a drill among David’s tools.  It must be here but I tired of looking for it before I found it.  I tried but  could not just screw the new screws into the wall.  I don’t have the strength.







20231121_131144


So, I called the ranger station to see if I could borrow a drill.  John answered the phone and said he was actually in my loop and could come by in a few minutes and take a look.  Which he did and then he came back with a Lithium Ion drill and a ratchet screw driver and made short work of the problem. 

David always said the right tool makes the job easy.  So now I know what two tools I want for Christmas.  Hope Santa is listening.





TA DA!! 
Closet repair accomplished.

20231121_131557



Thanksgiving Day


20231123_143952This morning I got a text from Jason.  He’s my Fort Clinch dead battery rescuer.  He invited me to share their Thanksgiving and even though I had already bought everything to make my own traditional fare, I was happy to accept their   generosity.   They are only about an hour away just outside Jacksonville.

This picture above is of Jason’s mother Terry and Rocky in their “Florida room”.  With sweaters it was warm enough to sit out there without the heaters that Jason sets up for colder weather.


The food was delicious and I really must ask Karen, Jason’s wife on the right, for the recipes for both the green beans and the sweet potatoes.

20231123_150437


On the left is Terry Jason’s mother and Bill Karen’s father.  On the right are Jason, Karen and their daughters Kiley and Jenna.   What a simply wonderful group of people.

20231123_150809



20231123_160342


After dinner there was football on TV of course but only Bill and Rocky seemed to be watching.  Rocky was such a hoot!










SATURDAY

Anastasia State Park is right next to the St Augustine Amphitheater and a great Saturday Farmer’s Market which I walk over to every both Saturday mornings that I am here.


20231202_105833




20231202_100526



This organic farm had everything you’d heard and not heard of.

PXL_20231125_151120228.MP


Like Roselle Hibiscus Calyces  $5.99 a quart or 2 for $10 right out in front on this table.   Have you ever heard of them?



PXL_20231125_151050035.MPApparently in Australia you can find them made into jam and tea.  It’s also used as a sauce to replace cranberry at the holidays and as a syrup over pancakes.  They say the flavor is “similar to cranberry but less bitter with lemon undertones”. (undertones?? sheesh)

I also read that the most well known and popular way to use roselle hibiscus is as a drink called Rosa de Jamaica, a Christmas tradition in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean and in Mexican Restaurants in the US where it is known just as Jamaica.

Let me know if you’ve ever heard of it or tried any of these.




In addition to that, they also sold a number of interesting mushrooms I’d never seen before.  $12 a box or $20 for two.

PXL_20231125_151212676.MP



PXL_20231125_151228184.MP


And sugar cane.  Have you ever bought a cane of sugar cane?  $5 each or 3 for $13.  What do you do with it??

PXL_20231125_151300238.MP




PXL_20231125_154343706.MPAfter all that fun I went over to “The Front Porch” which is connected to the market.  The band that plays is made up of a lot of apparently local folks who get together often and jam and are always here on Saturdays.  Or at least I’ve seen them here multiple times.  They call themselves the Free Rangers and accept donations.  Not sure who gets the money as there are quite a few of them with instruments varying depending on the day though there are a few “regulars”

I don’t know what happens in this outdoor space during the week but you can bring food and drinks up and listen on Saturdays.  Lots more fun.





PXL_20231125_154425572.MP



PXL_20231125_154532133.MP



PXL_20231126_151904340.MPLater in the day I sat in my passengers chair with my front window view and looked through the walking brochure that luckily I kept from previous years.   They no longer publish it and that’s a serious bummer since it is a set of 5 historical walking tours throughout St. Augustine.  It is excellent.

Every single day I am thankful to be retired and able to do these things during the week rather than being restricted to week-ends.

The planning paid off my last week here first with a walking tour of St. George Street which is the cobblestone walking “mall”.  The street is one of the oldest, if not the oldest in the city and gives you an idea of how narrow all the streets in the Old Town Section are.  Obviously one way for those that allow cars which St. George does not..


The next day, I started my St George Street walking tour at the gateway built by the Spanish in 1739, with a moat of course, as the only access to the city on the north side.


20231127_135428


St Augustine is the oldest continually occupied European settlement in North America having been founded in September of 1565 by Pedro Menendez.  It seems to have been constantly under siege. 

Englishman Sir Francis Drake burned the village in 1586.  The English burned it again in 1702. The English were only able to take the city when they defeated Spain in the 7 years war in Europe in 1763.  Then all of Florida was ceded to English control. 

But all those years of effort, England only ruled for 21 years.  As part of the negotiations for ending the American Revolution in 1783, Florida was returned to the Spanish.  In 1821 it became an American Territory.   I found this flip flop of ownership very interesting and am glad I didn’t live here during any of it.




20231127_135946The oldest Wooden School house is the oldest surviving wood frame building in St Augustine and is made of cedar and cypress.  For an admission charge you can see an old classroom with life size figures of the professor and pupils along with rare school books, slates and slate pencils and old maps.  Might be very interesting if you have children but I passed.  Housing for the “master” was upstairs.  Not sure who the woman looking out the window is supposed to be.  Guess I could have learned that if I had taken the tour.


The picture below will give an idea of how narrow this street is.  It’s hard to imagine even carts could go down it going both directions.

20231127_140349



The buildings are so close that they are nearly connected and many are or at least their walled outdoor areas are.  A double door cart opening into the grounds for protection is common.  The houses look walled.

Notice the couple looking up and across the street.

20231127_150804



Can you see what they are looking at?  It’s on the balcony of the Benet House build by Estaban Benet in 1804.  His great great grandsons, Stephen Vincent Benet and William Rose Benet, were both Pulitzer Prize winners.

20231127_151022 



20231127_150420


Though most of the architecture on St George Street is Spanish, this tavern is an example of buildings from the 21 years of English Rule when it was originally built.  It has been reconstructed.

20231127_140952


At the end of the walking blocks of St George Street is the Cathedral Basilica St Augustine.  Its information says it is the oldest Catholic Parish within the present day United States.  It dates from the September 8, 1565 celebration of a Mass by Pedro Menendez and his men.


20231127_143413



20231127_143653




20231127_143924


Obviously the Basilica is still a very active parish.


20231127_144249


Over my last few days days here I did several other walking tours AND the Nights of Lights tour which is wonderful.   That will be my last post from St. Augustine before I moved to my current location at Gamble Rogers State Park in Flagler Beach.

21 comments:

  1. We didn’t spend enough time in St Augustine so I love your sharing of your lovely visit. What a perfect way to spend Thanksgiving in the truest intention of the holiday. When you get back to the farm you must go through all the tools and parts and make an inventory. Otherwise you’re hauling that weight for nothing 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a nice comment. I'm sorry blogger made you anonymous so I don't know who you are. You are right about the tools although I don't know for sure that I will know what I need until I need it.

      Delete
    2. Arrgh, I knew the Anonymous gremlin would catch me eventually!

      Delete
  2. Well you may have waited 3 weeks but you got a lot in here. The photo of the Florida room made me miss Bel. I love how the pools are an in out thing there. She could never afford a house like that but we visited friends who had them. When I saw the photo I suddenly remembered the smells of the Florida forest in Ocala. And sugarcane? As a kid in Hawaii I chewed on sugarcane sticks all the time. Juicy and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue this post has a lot in it and is probably too long. But I love the memories it invoked for you. Thanks for sharing them. If I get a chance again to buy one of those sugar cane sticks, I should just chew on them? They look like bamboo.

      Delete
  3. I love when good people come along and up lift a day !!!! You really gave a wonderful travel agents approach to the area Makes me want to go visit !!! I’m glad you got to share Thanksgiving with friends .I went to my sons in Kentucky so enjoyed my rides along the back roads looking at the horse farms ,, going down to the Kentucky river, looking for signs telling about Daniel Boone, Going to Shaker town . Looking forward to hearing more of your Winter adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacque, great to hear from you. I have had such wonderful people come along and lend me a hand. I think you would definitely like St Augustine. I know we really liked Mammoth Cave and the Shaker Village we visited in Kentucky. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. You've had a good run of encounters with others...excellent. You were due. And as for sugar cane, I've never personally seen any, but it was grown around here (Texas) long time ago, and my dad spoke of doing what Sue Malone did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had some great people show up in my life. I had no idea sugar cane was grown in Texas. Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
  5. I'm always amazed at the kindness of fellow RVers. So helpful when you're a solo. Nice tour of St Augustine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the tour. There is more to come Laurie. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Nice post Sherry. You scored on Thanksgiving. We are on day 4 in Disney World, things sure changed. No more free Fast Pass and limits on people in park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming this is Tom since you are my Disney World connection. Wish I could figure out how I could afford to go back and stay in Fort Wilderness. I wonder how they can limit people in the park with all their "properties" for accommodations. Could you be refused entry if you didn't get there early enough even with a pass? I take it you have to pay for fast passes now. Wish you were doing a blog post on these days in Disney and what you found.

      Delete
  7. Great post! I loved seeing all the helpful people and your wonderful Thanksgiving ❤️ Beautiful sites in St. Augustin. Beautiful site too. Glad you are back by the ocean. Your happy place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post sweetheart. You are wonderful to always comment despite your terribly busy life.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sherry! It was great meeting you at the campground the other in Gamble Rogers. I wish we could have stayed longer and had more chats! We are hanging out at the Long Point and the first day we got here the mosquitos and noseeums were out. Today though, with a breeze and hot sun, they weren’t out, so that was great!
    Great blog and pics! Hope to catch up with you on the road again!
    Shanna & Forrest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shanna! How great to hear from you. I've been wishing I had some way to contact you to tell you that your site was empty for TWO nights after you left. Glad the bugs at the point gave you at least one nice day. Text me and let me know where you are going to be. I'd love to overlap with you three again.

      Delete
  9. Your post makes me want to visit St Augustine. You have certainly met a lot of nice people this trip. Keep on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till you see the next post with the former Grand Hotel turned college and their holiday lights.

      Delete
  10. Those evil clothes hanger brackets! I've had the brackets break on every RV I've owned. Some even twice. So I figured out that there was a replacement made of metal, that solved my broken bracket problem for good. Now if everything that breaks on my RV was that easy to fix. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had one RV and it took almost 20 years for it to break so I think I'm pretty lucky. There is a second one with those stupid plastic brackets and it hasn't broken yet. But I'm prepared. I bought two sets!! Thanks for the comment Paul. Good to know I'm in such wonderful company with my bracket.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.