Saturday, September 9, 2023

To Stowe and the Flume

August 20-22, 2023                                               Most Recent Posts:
Moose River Campground                            Mary Visits from Virginia
St Johnsbury Vermont           Marsh, Billings, Rockefeller National Historic Park


We saved two of the big ticket days for the last two of Mary’s visit.  On Sunday we drove to Stowe and took the ski gondola up to the top for the views which weren’t all that spectacular because of the ever present rain clouds.  But it was fun still.

We speculated as we stood in line to board about who we would have in our cab with us. 

PXL_20230820_143037264.MP


But it turns out, each party has one to itself.  Mary chatted with the attendant as he closed the door and we moved on.


PXL_20230820_143204934.MP


In the previous picture we were facing forward but we soon discovered the better views were behind us so we switched seats.   Such a shame it was not a fabulously clear day.


PXL_20230820_143622595.MP



From the top I could see a few of the distant mountain ranges.

PXL_20230820_144842330.MP



We traded picture taking with some folks at the top.  I have no idea what the white streak is since it wasn’t in any other picture I took.

PXL_20230820_150535108.MP



Once back at the bottom, I took a picture of the path to the top.  Some folks had hiked  up and saved the $40 fee.  Looks like it might take the whole day and kill your knees going back.  Although there were no tickets to return so I guess if you hike up you can hop a ride back.

PXL_20230820_161004007.MP



From there we went to the Von Trapp Family Lodge for lunch.

PXL_20230820_164753860.MP


The patio tables were clearly visible  through the atrium windows.

PXL_20230820_173019155.MP



We went through the lounge out to the patio.

PXL_20230820_165046709.MP



Mary is sitting at a back table alone.  I should have called to her to turn for the picture.

PXL_20230820_165105827.MP



The food was very good and reasonably priced.  I took this picture of the menu when we first arrived and had no intention of using it in the blog.  But I neglected to get a picture of the lovely presentation of our lunches so this is a substitute.

Mary had the chicken salad and I had the vegetable quesadilla.   Click on the picture to enlarge it if you cannot read it.


PXL_20230820_163609231.MP



We skipped the delicious sounding desserts.  Next time I’m in the area I will do lunch AND dessert.  Makes my mouth water to look at the list.

cropped for blog



But we were afraid we would not have room for ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s. 
Unfortunately we arrived too late for the tour but not too late to buy expensive ice cream.

PXL_20230820_181712614.MP



Mary entering the popular Flavor Graveyard. 

PXL_20230820_183643937.MP



PXL_20230820_183922951.MP


I closed off the day with a Vermont Maple Creemee at what I was told is the best creamee spot “near by”.  Read that as within an hour’s drive.  Yes, that is two versions of ice cream in a row.  Mary declined saying she wasn’t a big fan of maple.   IN VERMONT??


bragg far, creamee


We spent Mary’s final day in New Hampshire hiking the 2.1 mile Flume Gorge hike in Crawford’s Notch.  This is perhaps my favorite area hike.  The work done to make it accessible is amazing.

The Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet at the base of Mount Liberty. The walls of Conway granite rise to a height of 70 to 90 feet and are 12 to 20 feet apart.   It is one of my favorite hikes in the area though only 2 miles long and they charge $18 due to the maintenance of the required walk ways to make it available to the public.  We spoke to one of the workmen who put them up and take them down every year.  He says it takes a week or more.   Well worth the price in my opinion and a great way to end Mary’s stay in Vermont.


The flume trail goes by a covered bridge.

PXL_20230821_142854155.MP



PXL_20230821_145617816.MP


All of this boardwalk is removed in late fall and reinstalled in early spring.  Amazing!


PXL_20230821_145946590.MP


The walls are so close you could almost reach out and touch both sides.


PXL_20230821_150132709.MP





PXL_20230821_150253553.MP



PXL_20230821_150347290.MP



The hike turns back into the woods after going by Avalanche Falls.


PXL_20230821_150650668.MP



Mother Nature is amazing.

PXL_20230821_151834580.MP



What does it look like to you??

PXL_20230821_152619110.MP


I had no idea Mary was so strong.  Thank goodness, it might have fallen on us.

PXL_20230821_155018456.MP


Mary took the final picture of our days together when we saw our first moose.
I was willing to get up close so we could hold “hands”?

PXL_20230821_163812886.MP


I’m happy we were able to do so many things during her visit. 
I only wish the weather had been better for her.

26 comments:

  1. The photo with Mary holding up the rock is great! That said, there were several I both liked and saved. Really a nice looking hike, one of my favorites from your posts. Of course the covered bridge is sweet and I really liked the falls. The ski gondolas are breathtaking as well...Thanks for sharing with us Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Shayne thanks so much for your comment

      Delete
  2. Thanks for showing us a great place to visit next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great place to visit Tom. Are you flying these days or do you have a rig to drive?

      Delete
  3. What a spectacular hike....Well worth the cost...can't believe they take down the boardwalks every year. No wonder they have to charge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the price was well worth it given what they do. Sorry blogger made you anonymous, wish you'd signed your name. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Glad you had fun!! I enjoyed the trip with you You didn’t say what flavor of expensive ice cream you had . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. It was good of you to comment. It's now been about 3 weeks since we went to Ben and Jerry's so I don't remember exactly but it had peanut butter in it I remember that because they didn't have anything with coconut which is my favorite.

      Delete
  5. Of course the tree looks like a giraffe! What a nice ride to the top, too bad that the clouds made for dreariness. Love the gorge hike. I know I've mentioned we did that pre-rv days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment Laurie. I definitely see a giraffe.

      Delete
  6. I remember hiking the Flume when we visited Allegra when she lived in Boston. I forgot they took the walkways down every year until you mentioned it. Brings back some good memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Lynne. Glad I could do it and thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  7. Loved the B&J photo of your two. Glad you had fun! Didn’t one there was a B&J flavor graveyard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oops last one was me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know Diane. The B&J tombstones are hilarious.

      Delete
  9. It looks like a tree on a rock to me. Am I wrong? :cP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no wrong answer Paul! So you and Laurie are both right.

      Delete
  10. Mo and I were driving to Deb's today and I tried really hard to remember where these seasonal wooden walkways were located. Back home, and now I can show her. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really fun activities even without clear views! Good food and yummy ice cream. The Flume looks like a really neat walk. Amazing that they take the walkways down and put them back up so often. That tree made me think of a giraffe with almost no body sitting down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Flume and its walkway are unique. I hope someday you will get to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post! Your pictures of the flume made me put that area on my bucket list. That (and the flavor graveyard) alone would be worth the trip.m Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Pam. Maybe if I go back up to Vermont you could plan your trip for that summer. There are lots of things to do up there though The Flume is in New Hampshire and Ben & Jerry's is in Stowe Vermont so they aren't terribly close together.

      Delete
  14. I recognize that moose! 😀 We hiked the Flume in the fall, so it was fun to see it in the height of summer in your post. You are such a great tour guide...looks like you and Mary had a wonderful time together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for the compliment Laurel. I'm afraid I really don't give enough details to qualify as a tour guide.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although I don't do well with heights, I enjoy gondola rides if I can sit :-) Even with the cloudy day the views are lovely. That really is a wonderful trail in New Hampshire. Hiking with another "shorty" must be loads of fun. Ben and Jerry's had the largest variety of license plates (states) second only to the Grand Canyon! Bummer you missed the tour, it's interesting and cute and includes a large sample. Agreed one must love maple to be in Vermont, especially those tasty creams.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.