Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Silver Springs: First Day on the River

February 14, 2023 – February 26, 2023                           Most Recent Posts:
Silver Springs State Park Site 48                                        The Koreshan Unity
Silver Springs, Florida                                                          SKP then Koreshan



Getting to Silver Springs State Park from Koreshan State Historic Site is a 240 mile drive and above my driving limit for a day.  But it couldn’t be helped.  So I

PXL_20230214_213530076started packing up early. It was quite an ordeal with the jack problem and the bottle jack I had to take down.  I did that the wrong way and made it much more difficult.  But the passenger front jack then went up the little way it had to go to store. It’s getting it to go down not up that is the problem. Then guess what, the driver’s front jack would not go up.  We and I had this problem before on various jacks and had used the wooden blocks and crowbar approach.  I got out the crowbar but couldn’t remember how to brace it.  Eventually I got them all up.  Though several other things happened plus I had to stop for gas all of which delayed my arrival at Silver Springs until nearly 6pm.  I am the one who is always there at 3 or 4 at the latest.  Not today.  And was I tired!!

Thankfully this site was easy.  Amazingly easy.  It’s a pull through and all jacks went down just fine. Will they all come back up?   Hmmmmmm.  Won’t have to worry about that for 2 weeks thankfully



20230215_110308I’ve been trying for a few days to get a Florida State Park site for NEXT JANUARY with no luck despite the fact that I actually have super fast internet here.  The new reservation site is absolutely horrible.  It obviously cannot handle the traffic that 11 months in advance at 8am draws.  Having to do this day after day delays my going down to the river.

But finally I put the kayak on its wheels and towed it by hand the half mile to the put in where I will leave it for the rest of my stay and hopefully walk down in the mornings and paddle up stream to the head spring and back.



This is probably my favorite launch site of any anywhere.  I love this river.

IMG_5665



And you can see why.  Isn’t it beautiful?

20230215_120632



I also love the folks who live along it.  Both sides of the river are protected for miles by the state park.  NO HOUSES? So no on shore people.  But there is a public boat launch 5 miles down stream from the head springs so sadly there are power boats.    The following are pictures of the folks I love here on the river.


Fishing for breakfast.

IMG_5664



We’re keeping our eyes on each other.



Actually the 3rd gator of the day.  Different from the swimmer above.  I have no idea how long he is.  Follow that tail..



Double breasted cormorants are often drying their wings in the morning when I pass them.  Not this one.


Later on, I saw another up higher in the trees.  How do they stand there with webbed feet?

IMG_5727



Such blue eyes and notice the hook.  Wouldn’t want him chomping down on me.



The river has many Little Blue Herons.

IMG_5682



But it does not have many tri colored herons.  This is the only one I’ve seen but over the course of my paddling days he was in this same spot every day.  I guess he lives nearby.


IMG_5687


Notice the color of his legs and the stripe down his neck.



This redbelly cooter is brilliant orange.

IMG_5695



As is the candy corn billed common moorhen.  Also with green legs.  Wonder if there is a reason some birds/ducks have them.

IMG_5710



The anhinga was probably the bird I saw most frequently on the river this day.


The female anhinga has the same coloring on her back but her neck almost looks covered in fur not feathers.  She is about 1 second from taking off.


I’d gotten a bit of a late start this day because of my 8am irritation, so by the time I was coming back down river the sun was out and the line up had begun.  I guess the guy on the left is the police officer or is he the judge?



Who do you think did it?

IMG_5747



I don’t often see a pair of anhingas and so far  up on this tree branch.

IMG_5762



  Is the water in the Caribbean any bluer than this?

IMG_5764



Manatee near my boat in the blue waters.

IMG_5770



I keep my paddles up and hope they don’t go under me and decide to surface for a breath.  Hasn’t happened yet.

IMG_5771



Look closely, there is more than one.

IMG_5772



Up for air.

IMG_5773


I know it’s a lot of manatee pictures but I took probably 10 times this many and they are soooooo fantastic.

IMG_5780


Yes she’s partially under my boat and she’s HUGE.

IMG_5781


I spent every wonderful morning I could on the river.  This was just the first one.  But there will be more posts on this gorgeous water and its inhabitants as well as the few other things I did while I was at Silver Springs.  

I have a fondness for the park that goes beyond my experience as an RVer.  As a child in kindergarten and early elementary school I visited my beloved Great Aunt Carrie at her home here on Sunset Drive in Ocala and she took me on the Glass Bottom Boat Rides.  Wonderful memories and the boats are still here nearly 70 years later.

32 comments:

  1. Silver Springs was one of our favorite places. Such great memories of the Manatee population.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember seeing quite so many manatee in the river in the past but it's wonderful

      Delete
  2. Albeit it’s not nearly the same, but your acquatic excursions sure do remind me of the three summers I spent patrolling the mile and a half lagoon at Old River Park in Dayton.

    Feeding popcorn to the carp from the walking bridges, and catching frogs while on night patrol. Fond memories for sure.
    Thanks for inciting them

    In retrospect, the only regret was the 5 1/2 hp Johnson outboard on the stern of the rowboat that disrupted the quietude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Old River had a night patrol. Bummer on the motor noise.

      Delete
  3. Loved seeing the manatees...I'm glad you are enjoying your stay so much! Hope the jacks get resolved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if this is Judith too. I hate that some comments come in as anonymous. So glad you enjoyed the manatee. They are magnificent in person.

      Delete
  4. It looks as though this was the best spot to stay ever!!! Have not sent you any messages as it’s been chaos here but so glad you have had a good winter so impressed when you tell of how you get that rig packed up and moved and reset in place. You go girl !!!!! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is working overtime on anonymous comments. Thanks for signing Jackie. This is for sure one of my favorite places and increasingly hard to get reservations for. Thanks for the compliment. Definitely harder to do alone but it's the life I love. Great to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. So glad you are settled in such a wonderful place. I had to look up red belllied cooter....I thought the photo was of some kind of awful orange creature swallowing some poor reptile! But now I know it was just one turtle. Ha. Clear water like that is a very, very special thing. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I'm Judith and have commented before, but somehow today I can't comment unless anonymous. I'm not sure it's your end that's a problem...it just seems to happen from time to time. Anyway, I'm Judith in TX!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK. It let me comment as Judith this time. Whew. I dunno. Anyway, I'm the one who thought the turtle was some kind of violence scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith thank you so much for your perseverance through the anonymous fog. I'm glad to know who you are. Where are you commenting from?

      Delete
  8. Hope you've gotten the next January reservations by now!! Beautiful river and so many birds! Bright cooter...had I seen him before? So many sightings - gator and manatee - wonderful! I love the Aunt Carrie memory and am glad the water remains clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten reservations but with a big hole in the middle. That story will be on another post. You really must come down here sometime with me and go kayaking. I love my memories of Aunt Carrie. I hope Celia and Colin have ones as fond of me.

      Delete
  9. So sweet! We love that river, too. It's so wonderful that you're able to paddle on the river every morning, with only the birds and manatee for company. Your photos of the manatee are great! Kayaking on the Florida spring-fed rivers is the best, as you know. I'm looking forward to your posts on the Itchetucknee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were here to come with me. The river is only peopleless until about 9 or 9:30 and they normally force me off by 11 at the latest or I might just kayak all day. LOL!

      Delete
  10. I've seen water that beautiful blue from cruises we've taken in the Caribbean. Thank goodness there are no cruise ships on Siver Springs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Paul. This year I've seen more boats than usual and for the first time JETSKIS. I hate the noise of them all.

      Delete
  11. Oh yea, out for paddles. Even if getting there was a problem. I don't understand why you bother putting those pesky jacks down. Surely you don't level with them and with only one person in the MH it can't be all that shaky. Just sayin'. I love your bird shots and the manatee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess it doesn't realize it's Gaelyn.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gaelyn for recognizing blogger's stupidity and not recognizing you. Unfortunately for those with larger class A RVs if you do not want to get your slides out of alignment and cause major headaches and you want your refrigerator to work properly the RV needs to be level front to back and side to side. It's become a challenge now to get all this stuff to continue working after 20 years.

      Delete
  12. We went to Silver Springs several times when we lived in Gainesville. Did the glass bottom boat too. Nice to see it's been preserved so well. Always enjoy your photo's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I always enjoy your comments. A friend of mine is living temporarily in Gainesville and really loves it.

      Delete
  13. Wow! What a fun place! I love the bright green legs on some of the birds. The moorhen probably didn't want to be just boring black. Who is the first bird in the post? The female anhinga is a lot smaller than the male. My favorite is the red bellied cooter! I just looked up cooers because I had never heard of them. Yours is brighter than the ones I saw. Manatees are the best. I wish someone would figure out how to grow more food for them. The water is inviting with that lovely color but I don't want to swim with alligators!@##! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First bird is the little blue heron Pam. They are fairly common. I know you love turtles which is one of the reasons that I include them. You are such a faithful commenter that I think of you when I'm in the kayak.

      Delete
  14. These photos are so fabulous! (As always) the blue water, really great close manatee shots, what a great time you must've had! And then my favorite, yet a heartbreaker...the photo of you, makes me smile so much to see you smiling walking with your kayak...just makes me miss ya though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you guys too and given all the things you have going on in your life I'm really touched that you take the time to read these blog posts.

      Delete
  15. So amazing to once again see photos of the amazing beautiful wonderful magical Silver River. By now you know how much I love that river, as I know you do as well. It is just such a treasure. My friend Bel died ten years ago. I may have never found Florida without her. She took me to Silver Springs, and we walked down to that very boat launch and I said, someday I will kayak this river in my own kayak. That was in the year 2000. Can you believe that???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness Sue I had no idea it was 23 years ago. How can that be? I do love this river and am out on it every morning other than week-ends. Wish you were with me.

      Delete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.